Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burrow taking heat
(09-12-2022, 03:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: ie The offense produced in spite of Taylor not because of him? ie Burrow made Taylor?

This is how i saw it last year.....    I was hoping they prove me wrong this year...
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 03:55 PM)740Bengal Wrote: When the hell did this become a rule? This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. 

I think it was made a rule after the "Holy roller" game the Raiders won in the 70s.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
According to Fox sports, Burrow had one of the worst halves in league history.....

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/bengals-joe-burrow-one-worst-first-half-performances-nfl-history

Reply/Quote
It's a bit feat of famine, sometimes that extension will result in a big play. Burrow is pretty good at scrambling and making a throw on the run.

Of course there are almost hundreds of times now where it hasn't worked... I think he definitely holds onto the ball a bit too long. The OL has been horribad at protecting him, but he doesn't help as well.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 03:34 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: well if you adhere to PFF,, Collins did well in not allowing  sacks and pressures but did not rate well in blocking which showed in the run game for sure.. 

Yeah Collins had a shaky start too. But he had a tall order in TJ Watt. Considering he only gave up a sack and came out of it healthy, I'd say he won. Watt on the other hand, he's got to hope what happened to his brother isn't beginning to happen to him.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 04:02 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: It's a bit feat of famine, sometimes that extension will result in a big play. Burrow is pretty good at scrambling and making a throw on the run.

Of course there are almost hundreds of times now where it hasn't worked... I think he definitely holds onto the ball a bit too long. The OL has been horribad at protecting him, but he doesn't help as well.

It's a real catch 22.....you don't want to temper his style too much, because it's what makes him who he is. We also don't want him hurt. 

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 04:04 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Yeah Collins had a shaky start too. But he had a tall order in TJ Watt. Considering he only gave up a sack and came out of it healthy, I'd say he won. Watt on the other hand, he's got to hope what happened to his brother isn't beginning to happen to him.

Collins didn’t give up any sacks.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 04:07 PM)Wyche Wrote: It's a real catch 22.....you don't want to temper his style too much, because it's what makes him who he is. We also don't want him hurt. 

Getting beat up and hurt may be more of Burrow's style than we'd like to admit, the way things have gone so far.  
Reply/Quote
I don't know. Ben Roethlisberger had a similar play style of holding onto the ball too long and it's been said that he's headed to the Hall of Fame. If Burrow has a similar career to the one Ben had, would we be complaining then?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 03:56 PM)Wyche Wrote: I think it was made a rule after the "Holy roller" game the Raiders won in the 70s.

That's even more stupid because that was an incomplete pass, this rule needs abolished. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 04:18 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't know. Ben Roethlisberger had a similar play style of holding onto the ball too long and it's been said that he's headed to the Hall of Fame. If Burrow has a similar career to the one Ben had, would we be complaining then?

Russell Wilson as well.

I will gladly trade off a high number of sacks every year for a Super Bowl ring, and an induction in Canton some day.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 04:18 PM)740Bengal Wrote: That's even more stupid because that was an incomplete pass, this rule needs abolished.

Yep. It nullified a really exciting (non-dangerous) play. Not sure why the league would want that.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 04:18 PM)740Bengal Wrote: That's even more stupid because that was an incomplete pass, this rule needs abolished. 

Oh, I agree, but that's where it came from.

Reply/Quote
It looked like Joe was trying to force the ball. He didn't have a good feel for the defense scheme and his decision making was just slightly off. I think he will be fine.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 04:02 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: It's a bit feat of famine, sometimes that extension will result in a big play. Burrow is pretty good at scrambling and making a throw on the run.

I very well could be wrong but I think a lot of teams are going to be using the same / similar coverage against us as we did to KC and as Pittsburg played against us.   From what I can tell, it seems to do a good job of limiting offenses that thrive (depend) on explosive / big plays.    Until we start taking advantage of what the opposing D is giving us, this is going to continue to happen.

The Bengals appear to have plenty of gritt and certainly appear to have a solid D (hard to tell how good yet because Pitt's offense was pretty bad yesterday).   They also have plenty of talent to be competitive and make some noise like they did last year.    The question is, will they adjust and start taking what the opposing defense gives us and just show the league that we can march down the field and score regardless of their coverage?  They started to do that in the 2nd half yesterday, but it really needs to start coming much sooner then the 2nd half.  
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 04:34 PM)Wyche Wrote: Oh, I agree, but that's where it came from.

Yeah that rule should of been abolished after video replay came out, because that was clearly a forward incomplete pass. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 04:36 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: It looked like Joe was trying to force the ball. He didn't have a good feel for the defense scheme and his decision making was just slightly off. I think he will be fine.

I agree.   Joe will be fine.    I know alot is made of him not having a normal pre-season yet.    Honestly, I'd like to see him have a normal pre-season that also gets some reps in pre-season games.    Just my observation, but Joe seems to thrive once he gets into the groove.   Until he is in the grove, he struggles - which is what we saw early in the year last year.  
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 04:18 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't know. Ben Roethlisberger had a similar play style of holding onto the ball too long and it's been said that he's headed to the Hall of Fame. If Burrow has a similar career to the one Ben had, would we be complaining then?

He did but it seemed like so many times he had an outlet safety valve pass to one of his WR's/backs/TE's to bail him out.
Would love to see the Bengals incorporate that quick 2 step drop quick-hitter to a WR. That plays goes for 7-8 yards by mistake by the time a DB reacts to it.
Reply/Quote
It's kind of stupid to throw out 2.6 seconds like that's some immutable fact of NFL football. It really has to depend on the play called and the defense on every snap. No doubt there are times when he holds it too long, but there were four snaps where I wish he'd held it a bit longer on Sunday.

It really has to be a calculated risk on every play. Is it worth holding the ball another instant when you see Chase or Higgins about to come free? Is it worth risking five yards to make twenty? Sometimes.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 02:55 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Hes gotta Learn to take whats there or let it go...  Trying for the home run to much

Yep

He's got to learn there are times to just put it in the stands.
Reply/Quote