Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burrow taking heat
(09-12-2022, 03:01 PM)Au165 Wrote: He has a tendency to want home runs when singles will work. Patrick Mahomes is very similar but a more gifted thrower to squeeze things in. Burrow is at his best when he uses the underneath to setup the deep shots but he goes through stages where he simply won't do it.

MAhomes has a better line too
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 10:07 AM)kalibengal Wrote: MAhomes has a better line too

Wait until Burrow makes $50 million a year. We'll probably have Mitchell Wilcox as our starting center!
Reply/Quote
Definitely another part of his game that Joey B needs to work on besides sliding.

He holds onto the ball too long but hey, it is part of his game and if he sees something it could also lead to big plays.

Kind of a do or die style he likes to play but he needs to cut it back some for sure.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 04:46 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote:

That's when they went to the playoffs 5 straight years. Dalton did that from the beginning. Don't rewrite history. The OL was pretty decent, but it wasn't "allow only 29-21-20 sacks in a season good", and that was 2013, 2014, and 2015. McCarron got sacked 12 times in just 4 games in the 2015 regular season.

He made plays in the beginning. As time went on he started throwing the ball away because he was coached to not take risks and/or took a few too many big hits and got scared.

I don’t want us to tell Burrow to not take risks and not be a play maker. It’s who he is. Why he won a national championship and a Heisman. And why we went to the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 03:09 PM)Bengalion Wrote: There was one play where he stepped up in the pocket and found Boyd (Chase?) for a huge gain.
Their was a pocket?
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 07:18 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: He made plays in the beginning. As time went on he started throwing the ball away because he was coached to not take risks and/or took a few too many big hits and got scared.

I don’t want us to tell Burrow to not take risks and not be a play maker. It’s who he is. Why he won a national championship and a Heisman. And why we went to the Super Bowl.

You have it backwards. In year one, they told Dalton to throw it away and live to fight another day. Year two they told him to start looking to extend plays. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 09:01 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You have it backwards. In year one, they told Dalton to throw it away and live to fight another day. Year two they told him to start looking to extend plays. 

I think he's referring to the last couple of years when Dalton would just be like it eff it and chuck the ball. I remember that starting to happen toward the end of 2016. He came out on fire that year, but got sacked seven times in game 1. The last thing I remember him doing was throwing his helmet at the Gatorade cooler in Pittsburgh after being sacked eight times that day in his last season. By that point, he was seeing ghosts. Be hard not to with Ogbuehi "guarding" your blindside.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
It is not fair to count the extra sacks Joe takes by holding the ball too long while not counting the number of sacks he avoids by scrambling.

Joe givith the defense some sacks but he also taketh away.
Reply/Quote
For all the grief he's getting over a slow start he did have us in position to win that game multiple times.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2022, 10:15 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It is not fair to count the extra sacks Joe takes by holding the ball too long while not counting the number of sacks he avoids by scrambling.

I agree with you, but unfortunately, sacks avoided isn't a stat, sadly.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2022, 10:15 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It is not fair to count the extra sacks Joe takes by holding the ball too long while not counting the number of sacks he avoids by scrambling.

I would say Joe seems to be average when it comes to avoiding sacks by scrambling out of the pocket but he definitely seems to be below average when it comes to taking sacks from holding the ball too long. Based on how many sacks are attributed to him and not the line. 

Burrow is going to be in trouble again this week if he doesn't learn how to not hold onto the ball. Brady was getting the ball of lf in 2.1 seconds and still took 2 sacks against the Cowboys. 
Reply/Quote
Not all sacks are the same, and if there's one thing that seems to be a relative weakness of his it's the seeming lack of adaptation to down/distance scenarios. It seems he's just as willing to risk the sack on 3rd and 5 from the opponent's 35 yard line as he is on 1st and 10 from his own 25. Perhaps that's equally on the play calling though.
Reply/Quote
Joe is going to take a few coverage sacks, its just his game. But the line is still waaaay to porous. He sees free runners way to often. Even when its not a sack. Remember Mixon getting hit 5 yards in the back field the split second he got the ball? Should never happen.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2022, 12:50 PM)TheFan Wrote: I would say Joe seems to be average when it comes to avoiding sacks by scrambling out of the pocket but he definitely seems to be below average when it comes to taking sacks from holding the ball too long. Based on how many sacks are attributed to him and not the line. 

How do his numbers compare with other NFL QBs?
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2022, 01:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How do his numbers compare with other NFL QBs?

I don't have PFF and I'm not going to go rewatch every game myself. I know it has been talked about multiple times by multiple people about how he is in the higher % when it comes to sacks being attributed to him or at least not the Oline. 

On 3rd down Burrow was sacked 21 times and only 5 of them were attributed to the Oline. 

Burrow took the 15th most pass attempts but had the most sacks in the league. His time to throw was 10th (fastest) but aggressiveness (I'm not sure how they determine that) 2nd, which is probably what attributes to him taking more sacks which are his fault. The Oline ranked 20th overall according PFF.

Burrow is obviously great and I understand not wanting to take the aggressiveness away from him because that's part of what makes him great. But as others stated, the amount of hits (a sizeable portion which are on him) is likely not going to be sustainable. 
Reply/Quote