Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Burrow terrible down the field
(10-06-2020, 02:49 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The fact that the Bengals moved on from Andy and drafted Joe, which was absolutely the right move, doesn't mean that Andy never did good things for this organization during his time here. I think it's crazy how much the guy is still hated and disrespected, even though he's in Dallas now. Andy was always a class act, was a part of 5 playoff seasons and had some outstanding performances as the Bengals starting QB. 

It's one thing to say he wasn't good enough to take us to the next level or that we needed to find someone more dynamic at the position...I felt the same way, but I also won't shit on Andy because I appreciate the good things he did in the 9 years he was here. Much like Marvin, it wasn't enough and he ended up having some very real limitations. 

I'm ecstatic we have Burrow and think he'll wind up being an elite QB. Not sure why fans can't just be happy about that, instead of continually shitting on a guy who's no longer here. The Bengals moved on from Andy. Fans should probably do the same. 

Not sure why you quoted me here, as I have never claimed Andy was never good, I just pointed out it was extremely silly to suggest there would have been a QB competition in camp had Andy stayed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

This is still an area of concern..
Everything in this post is my fault.
Joe Burrow’s deep ball accuracy is about 37th on my list of concerns right about now.

If a QB cant throw deep accurately running game is faced with 8 in the box and the opposing D will continually blitz. What happened Sunday?
What makes it worse is watching Dalton come in for Dallas and throw that deep completion to get them an easy game winning field goal. It wasn’t the best deep ball ever but it was a good throw (of course)
Just a little more salt for my Bengals wound.
(10-12-2020, 02:35 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: What makes it worse is watching Dalton come in for Dallas and throw that deep completion to get them an easy game winning field goal. It wasn’t the best deep ball ever but it was a good throw (of course)

To think Zac thought Finley was better.
(10-12-2020, 02:35 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: What makes it worse is watching Dalton come in for Dallas and throw that deep completion to get them an easy game winning field goal. It wasn’t the best deep ball ever but it was a good throw (of course)

Well tbf it was against the 0 win Giants. Burrow has looked great against bad teams, too.

(10-12-2020, 02:28 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: If a QB cant throw deep accurately running game is faced with 8 in the box and the opposing D will continually blitz. What happened Sunday?

Well, some of what happened Sunday: Burrow was under pressure on 40% of his drop backs, had defenders coming untouched, constant penetration up the middle and receivers struggling to get separation. Not exactly a recipe for deep ball success.

Joe needs to do better when he does have opportunities for long passes - especially with he has time, but in fairness, a couple of them have been straight up drops and a couple more came with a defender barreling down on him.
(10-12-2020, 02:45 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Well, some of what happened Sunday: Burrow was under pressure on 40% of his drop backs, had defenders coming untouched, constant penetration up the middle and receivers struggling to get separation. Not many chances to even attempt the deep ball. 

What's more alarming his internal clock is already starting to get wear and tear. And the internal clock is his best attribute
(10-12-2020, 02:45 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Well, some of what happened Sunday: Burrow was under pressure on 40% of his drop backs, had defenders coming untouched, constant penetration up the middle and receivers struggling to get separation. Not many chances to even attempt the deep ball. 

Was it only 40%? I saw AU165 in another thread mentioned it was over 50%.

(10-12-2020, 02:35 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: What makes it worse is watching Dalton come in for Dallas and throw that deep completion to get them an easy game winning field goal. It wasn’t the best deep ball ever but it was a good throw (of course)
Those were not "good throws". Dalton benefited from two phenomenal catches. I'd have kept Dalton around too for the 3 mill Dallas is giving him.
Constant pressure is what's affecting Joe's long ball.
(10-12-2020, 02:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Was it only 40%? I saw AU165 in another thread mentioned it was over 50%.

Dehner had it as 15 pressures in 37 drop backs, but maybe his number was off. It sure seemed like more, that's for sure.
(10-12-2020, 02:37 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: To think Zac thought Finley was better.

Let’s be fair. A lot of people thought Ryan Finley was the answer in 2019 and I don’t fault them. Neither do I fault those who felt Dalton should have started the whole season. Between Finley and Dalton what did we learn from 2019? Not much, apparently. Drafting Joe Burrow #1OA was the right thing to do because we see what he can do when the protection and running game show up.

Here’s what frosts my flakes: During a recent press conference Joe mentioned working on getting the ball out faster. Okay, great, but is that why the Bengals drafted Joe? Do we really want Andy Dalton 2.0? I said in another post Andy’s ability to get the ball out quickly masked the offensive line’s pass protection problems for years. That’s not why we drafted Joe.
To be fair Andy got decent blocking so he could actually step into his throws (which were good throws). Burrow is not getting either the time for the receivers to get deep or any place to step into the throw. 
I haven't read all the replies but I'm not ready to blame Burrow on this yet for these reasons.

1) The obvious inability to pass block (see the 20 other threads about our OL).
2) The complete lack of speed/separation from our WR's. It is mind-boggling how bad Ross has been and that he can't even crack the active gameday roster. As Joe Goodberry tweeted, without Ross and Green, the average 40 time of our WR's is 4.6s! Tate, Boyd, and Higgins are not going to stretch the field.

So not time to throw and no separation shrinks the field. Throw in a few drops and a couple bad throws and this is what you get.
I read through all of this, and someone said something about anyone judging Joe Burrow right now is obnoxious. It's very obnoxious, and all things considered, (like NO preseason, no fans, no OL...) I'm very impressed and optimistic for his future. Joe
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Most of the time, when I saw he had time, he was doing well. I don't expect ( insert your favorite QB, you haters ), to do great when 300 lb men crashing into them before they even finish their drop back. When we actually get to see him throw behind a good O-line, I'll judge more.
(10-12-2020, 03:46 PM)Destro Wrote: Most of the time, when I saw he had time, he was doing well. I don't expect ( insert your favorite QB, you haters ), to do great when 300 lb men crashing into them before they even finish their drop back. When we actually get to see him throw behind a good O-line, I'll judge more.

DingDing
(10-12-2020, 03:17 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I read through all of this, and someone said something about anyone judging Joe Burrow right now is obnoxious.  It's very obnoxious, and all things considered, (like NO preseason, no fans, no OL...) I'm very impressed and optimistic for his future.  Joe

You don't throw for 60 TDS at LSU without being able to throw it downfield. In order to throw downfield with success, you need a running game and time. This team had neither against Baltimore. 

Can't throw it deep when the WRs haven't even had enough time to get into their routes.
(10-12-2020, 03:58 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: You don't throw for 60 TDS at LSU without being able to throw it downfield. In order to throw downfield with success, you need a running game and time. This team had neither against Baltimore. 

Can't throw it deep when the WRs haven't even had enough time to get into their routes.

Exactly.