Poll: Do you think Burrow is the Next Luck?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.6 Average
Burrow the Next Andrew Luck
As much as I hate to say it or write it I think Joe Burrow will be our Andrew Luck. Joe has not been Healthy the entire time he has been with Cincy and the line was so atrocious that he ended up almost having an career ending injury.

This is Joe Burrow Injuries to his body. Some are not during his NFL career but still belong to his body.
He is a HIGH RISK candidate for Injuries. High Risk
Chance of Injury in 2023
58%
% chance misses at least 2 quarters

Chance of Injury per Game
5%
1- 17√1-% Inj/Season

Projected Games Missed 2023
Durability
Ability to produce despire relatively minor injuries. 5 being most durable

Aug 14, 2017 Non-NFL Hand Wrist Fracture Burrow suffered a broken bone in his throwing hand during practice and had an operation to repair the fracture. He missed the start of the season
Jan 16, 2020 Non-NFL Chest Rib Fracture Burrow suffered torn rib cartilage near the end of the second quarter in the College Football Playoff national championship game in New Orleans.
Nov 22, 2020 NFL Knee ACL Tear Grade 3 Burrow suffered a torn left ACL during Week 11's loss to Washington. He was placed on IR and was shut down for the 2020 season.
Nov 22, 2020 NFL Knee MCL Tear Grade 3 Burrow suffered a torn left MCL during Week 11's loss to Washington. He was placed on IR and was shut down for the 2020 season.
Nov 22, 2020 NFL Knee PCL Tear Grade 3 Burrow suffered a partial tear to his PCL during Week 11's loss to Washington. He was placed on IR and was shut down for the 2020 season.
Nov 22, 2020 NFL Knee Meniscus Tear Burrow suffered a partial tear to his meniscus during Week 11's loss to Washington. He was placed on IR and was shut down for the 2020 season.
Dec 5, 2021 NFL Hand Finger Dislocation Burrow suffered a dislocated pinkie finger in the Bengals' loss to the Chargers
Jan 2, 2022 NFL Knee Strain Grade 1 Burrow twisted his knee towards the end of the game vs. the Kansas City Chiefs.
Feb 13, 2022 NFL Knee MCL Sprain Grade 2 Burrow suffered an MCL sprain in the final minutes of the Super Bowl
Jul 27, 2023 NFL Leg Calf Strain Burrow sustained a right calf strain while rolling out in practice. He returned on August 30th and hasn't missed a game due to this injury. However, Burrow reportedly re-aggravated the injury in Week 2 vs. the Ravens.
Reply/Quote
I voted no. But maybe wishful thinking. I hope we learned our lesson and will be paying the necessary prices to get adequate protection. Burrow has been dinged up but we have let him get absolutely abused at times.
Reply/Quote
Luck took too many hits. Burrow just gets injured during practice/off field

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
Simply put? No.

Luck was battered so much from having such a porous OL.

Burrow had the 2020 ACL tear that took him out the rest of that year, but he's played the entirety of 2021 and 2022, going deep into the playoffs both times. He got (way) further than Luck ever did.

Burrow's current injury wasn't from being hit. It was from basic running around.
It's possible Burrow just didn't stretch enough the day in practice it occurred and he rushed back before it fully healed.

Could this end up being a lost season when all is said and done? Sure, but we have at least another month to go before jumping to such a conclusion.
But would I fully expect this to be a lingering issue beyond this year and label Joe Burrow "injury prone" because of a calf strain? Absolutely not.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Burrow has taken a ton of hits too. Luck was just as tough as Burrow but they did add up.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Nah, no resemblance.

[Image: 54caea8009b2a_-_geico-caveman-def.jpg?resize=480:*]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Didn't Burrow (or the FO) try to imitate that Civil War General bit Luck used to do.... coincidence?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 05:04 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Luck took too many hits. Burrow just gets injured during practice/off field

You mean like being sacked 121 times in 2 seasons?

Burrow has had 3 different knee injures (2 if you think the 2022 one was the same one just being re-aggrivated) and a dislocated finger all on the field in the NFL. He also had a rib cartilidge injury in 2020 in college on the field, different season but same calandar year as his 2020 knee injury.

(09-20-2023, 05:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Simply put? No.

Luck was battered so much from having such a porous OL.

Burrow had the 2020 ACL tear that took him out the rest of that year, but he's played the entirety of 2021 and 2022, going deep into the playoffs both times. He got (way) further than Luck ever did.

Burrow's current injury wasn't from being hit. It was from basic running around.
It's possible Burrow just didn't stretch enough the day in practice it occurred and he rushed back before it fully healed.

Could this end up being a lost season when all is said and done? Sure, but we have at least another month to go before jumping to such a conclusion.
But would I fully expect this to be a lingering issue beyond this year and label Joe Burrow "injury prone" because of a calf strain? Absolutely not.

...You mean like being sacked 121 times in 2 seasons?

Luck played all the games in his first 3 seasons, and only missed 1 game in his 5th and played all the games in his 7th.

He just played hurt a whole lot, which also sounds familiar.

- - - - - - - - - -

I voted yes just because they don't really seem to care all that much about protecting him. Year 4 and we're still throwing Jonah Williams out there as a starter in his 3rd different position as if there's a magical spot on the OL that won't make him suck. Also Pollack has overseen a whole lot of shitty drafting and development and is still here.

I still don't understand why they had him running in early training camp if he was already wearing a calf sleeve.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
What made Luck different from all the other injury prone QB's is he was wise enough to know that he made so much money in his brief NFL career that he didn't have to suffer thru all the physical therapy. He lacked the drive and will.....and quite frankly, 99.9% of the general public lacks that kind of drive and competitiveness. But most elite QB's have that drive and competitiveness....that's what made them elite and got them the huge contract.

Luck was the son of lawyer/executive/former NFL QB....and Andrew was valedectorian of his high school class and Stanford educated. While NFL QB's are pretty damn smart, very very few were smart like Andrew Luck.

Joe Burrow is the son of a football coach and went to a lower middle class high school and a graduate of Ohio State and attended LSU. This is not the trappings of an intellect. Burrow was hand picked by one of the most competitive, cut-throat coaches in college football history. Borrow is the kind of guy who eats, sleeps and drinks winning football games.

Joe and Andrew Luck share many similar traits but I think Joe isn't as cerebral as Andrew. Andrew's intellect and wisdom is what led to his early retirement.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 05:42 PM)Bengal Roar Wrote: What made Luck different from all the other injury prone QB's is he was wise enough to know that he made so much money in his brief NFL career that he didn't have to suffer thru all the physical therapy. He lacked the drive and will.....and quite frankly, 99.9% of the general public lacks that kind of drive and competitiveness. But most elite QB's have that drive and competitiveness....that's what made them elite and got them the huge contract.

Luck was the son of lawyer/executive/former NFL QB....and Andrew was valedectorian of his high school class and Stanford educated. While NFL QB's are pretty damn smart, very very few were smart like Andrew Luck.

Joe Burrow is the son of a football coach and went to a lower middle class high school and a graduate of Ohio State and attended LSU. This is not the trappings of an intellect. Burrow was hand picked by one of the most competitive, cut-throat coaches in college football history. Borrow is the kind of guy who eats, sleeps and drinks winning football games.

Joe and Andrew Luck share many similar traits but I think Joe isn't as cerebral as Andrew. Andrew's intellect and wisdom is what led to his early retirement.

Yeah. Honestly, Luck made a fantastic decision. He earned $97MM in his NFL career and was able to get out by the team he was 30. He gets to spend all the time he wants with his daughter and wife while partaking in his hobbies as much as he wants. Dude is living the absolute dream, it sounds like. 
Reply/Quote
My dude posted the torn ACL 4 times acting like people wouldn't notice.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 05:03 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I voted no. But maybe wishful thinking. I hope we learned our lesson and will be paying the necessary prices to get adequate protection. Burrow has been dinged up but we have let him get absolutely abused at times.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer but can you think of a single instance where a Mike Brown owned Bengals teams ever “learned their lesson?”

His m.o. is finding serviceable players who have been written off or deemed not worth further investment and rejuvenating their careers here in a never ending underdog story. Everytime the hype train gets going they get derailed just as fast as it started. Rinse and repeat.

Burrow is/was a generational talent. He has all the tools to succeed at this level, but winning a Championship takes a lot more pieces than 1 talented QB and Mike Brown and company are just absolutely clueless when it comes to the other pieces. It sure was a fun last couple of years.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 05:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You mean like being sacked 121 times in 2 seasons?

Burrow has had 3 different knee injures (2 if you think the 2022 one was the same one just being re-aggrivated) and a dislocated finger all on the field in the NFL. He also had a rib cartilidge injury in 2020 in college on the field, different season but same calandar year as his 2020 knee injury.

...You mean like being sacked 121 times in 2 seasons?

Luck played all the games in his first 3 seasons, and only missed 1 game in his 5th and played all the games in his 7th.

He just played hurt a whole lot, which also sounds familiar.

- - - - - - - - - -

I voted yes just because they don't really seem to care all that much about protecting him. Year 4 and we're still throwing Jonah Williams out there as a starter in his 3rd different position as if there's a magical spot on the OL that won't make him suck. Also Pollack has overseen a whole lot of shitty drafting and development and is still here.

I still don't understand why they had him running in early training camp if he was already wearing a calf sleeve.

Did I think it was a great idea to put Jonah Williams at RT?
No.

Do I agree with the Bengals cutting Collins, who could have been better at RT than Jonah once he was ready to return?
No.

Do I think Jonah is the best option they have at this point?
Yes, unfortunately.

The Bengals did do something to try to improve the OL - they added Orlando Brown. He's been the best OL so far.
Cappa is doing well, Karras is solid.
They had opportunity to bring in a true solid-to-above-average LG in Dalton Risner, and they chose to stick with Volson.
They had opportunity to address RT in FA or the draft, and they chose to stick with who they had (possibly due to $$).

Does that mean that Burrow is now a shell of the LSU National Champion?
No.
A calf strain is not some severe career-altering injury.
It's something that can happen to anyone and take a couple months to heal. It might need an offseason. It might mean a down year. 
But it's not something that should need surgery and is now going to make him be worried about taking hits or turn him into a tree taking snaps the rest of his career.

Although maybe I'm wrong and Burrow will retire in a few years, just like Luck retired after 6 seasons played in the league.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I just don't know how Josh Allen, who takes hit after hit while running the ball, including plowing right into defenders rather than sliding, has so few injuries. He has missed only 4 games in his NFL career, all back in 2018, despite sometimes putting his shoulder down and ramming into defenders to gain the extra yardage.

Allen's injury outlook is "very low risk," while Burrow, who is not a running QB, is listed as "high risk."

https://www.draftsharks.com/fantasy/injury-history/joe-burrow/10482

https://www.draftsharks.com/fantasy/injury-history/josh-allen/9962
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 05:57 PM)TheFan Wrote: My dude posted the torn ACL 4 times acting like people wouldn't notice.

I think he just did a copy and paste from here: 

That is how they have it listed.
Reply/Quote
Can’t help but wonder if this was part of the delay/hesitation for Mike Brown giving up the farm to make this contract happen w Joe.

Maybe he had these exact same concerns.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 06:38 PM)Nepa Wrote: I just don't know how Josh Allen, who takes hit after hit while running the ball, including plowing right into defenders rather than sliding, has so few injuries. He has missed only 4 games in his NFL career, all back in 2018, despite sometimes putting his shoulder down and ramming into defenders to gain the extra yardage.

Allen's injury outlook is "very low risk," while Burrow, who is not a running QB, is listed as "high risk."

https://www.draftsharks.com/fantasy/injury-history/josh-allen/9962

They're coming for Allen. Heck, he played (poorly) with a torn elbow for a big chunk of last year. Cam Newton only missed 5 games/6 starts his first 8 seasons. After that his career was basically over, though. 

The hits still add up no matter how absurd their body is and it'll end up with a much shorter career than the 15-20 that a QB can potentially have. I'm a Hurts fan, but he's going to have the same problem but doesn't have the absurd superhuman body of a Newton or Allen to push it off for more years.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Looking around on the Internet (for what that is worth) I am seeing that Luck said that the injuries played a role but his retirement was

more about how being an NFL quarterback consumes all of your Time and Focus. This seeped into his personal relationships and he chose

to focus on other areas of his life such as spending quality time with his wife and family.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 07:04 PM)depthchart Wrote: .

Looking around on the Internet (for what that is worth) I am seeing that Luck said that the injuries played a role but his retirement was

more about how being an NFL quarterback consumes all of your Time and Focus. This seeped into his personal relationships and he chose

to focus on other areas of his life such as spending quality time with his wife and family.

We do not need Burrow having baby!!! At least not before a SB win someday.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 07:12 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: We do not need Burrow having baby!!! At least not before a SB win someday.

If Burrow has a baby then that would be Major Historical Scientific News and he would have to play with a Belly Protector during the

last few months of his pregnancy.  Mellow

If his future wife has the Baby then it would not be Major Historical Scientific News.
Reply/Quote