Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burrow to the Hospital
(10-12-2021, 11:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Because pressures and hurries are made up stats

Not really "made up" because they do exist.  I think "subjective" is a better term.

And as you know i am often critical of subjective stats.  Maybe they can come up with some objective definition using the GPS trackers all the players wear now.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 11:05 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Cleveland is tied for 1st in least amount of pressures this year, with Dallas. Browns are also #1 in rushing offense. They're 15th in sacks given up, with 6. 

[Image: pbe21.jpg]

For whatever grades are worth on PFF, they're ranked 10th in pass blocking and 3rd in run blocking. 

For the FF geeks out there, their line is ranked #1 in pass and run when judging their impact on skill players. 
https://www.4for4.com/2021/w4/o-line-rankings-and-matchups-exploit-week-4

Football Outsiders has them ranked #2. 
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/basic-offensive-line

So we're tied for second in least amount of pressures given up this year?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 11:48 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Not questioning your source but I just went thru our box scores of the first 5 games on ESPN.

Vikes...5 sacks, 7 QB hits
Bears...5 sacks, 9 QB hits
Steelers...0 sacks, 0 QB hits
Jags...1 sack, 3 QB hits
Packers....3 sacks, 8 QB hits

That adds up to 14 sacks and 27 QB hits.  Wonder why there is a difference between the two.

My apologies I was not trying to misrepresent anything. I was going off the assumption that the PFR stats had not been updated because they stated they update on Wednesday.  But it appears that some stats were indeed updated prior to today.   So for example it is 14 sacks allowed, you are correct.   When I added the 38 passing attempts and 3 sacks from Sunday I was of the thought that the stats listed on PFR did not include Sunday's game as per the message displayed by PFR on the page yesterday.

Here are the stats now according to PFR (select the pressures tab):

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/advanced.htm

145 passing attempts - rank 28
14 sacks allowed - tied for 6th most allowed. 
12 hurries - rank 6th best in least allowed
12 hits - rank 7th best in least allowed
38 pressures - rank 8th best in least allowed
23.5 pressure percent - rank 17

So from my previous post sack percentage stays the same.  9.6%
Hurries now 8.3% of attempts.
Hits on 8.3% of attempts.
Pressure 26.2% of attempts.  Again I don't kniow why PFR shows pressure percent of 23.5 when their own stats show 38 pressures.  38 is 26.2% of 145 attempts.  

As far as the discrepancy for hits, I don't know. Perhaps different sources score hits differently.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2021, 10:28 AM)George Cantstandya Wrote:  Again I don't kniow why PFR shows pressure percent of 23.5 when their own stats show 38 pressures.  38 is 26.2% of 145 attempts.  

Maybe it is the percentage of "attempts plus sacks" instead of just "attempts".
Reply/Quote
And just to remind everyone how these pass block stats can be a little deceiving. Through the first three games Burrow had at least 3 seconds to throw the ball on every sack he took.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2021, 12:50 AM)Joelist Wrote: So we're tied for second in least amount of pressures given up this year?

Total pressures, yes. Sack to pressure ratio is very high though.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2021, 12:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Not really "made up" because they do exist.  I think "subjective" is a better term.

And as you know i am often critical of subjective stats.  Maybe they can come up with some objective definition using the GPS trackers all the players wear now.

Next Gen does that. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2021, 12:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Not really "made up" because they do exist.  I think "subjective" is a better term.

I know hurries and pressures happen; it's just the stats are made up.

What benefit does a team get by pressuring a QB such as Lamar Jackson or Kyler Murray? 

"Team X got 15 pressures on Lamar Jackson" meanwhile, why getting pressure they broke contain and ran for 256 yards. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2021, 11:20 AM)bfine32 Wrote: What benefit does a team get by pressuring a QB such as Lamar Jackson or Kyler Murray? 

"Team X got 15 pressures on Lamar Jackson" meanwhile, why getting pressure they broke contain and ran for 256 yards. 

Why did Lamar Jackson run for 150 yards but just score 12 points against the Titans in the playoffs?

Pressure makes both of them much worse at throwing the ball.  And they do throw the ball a lot under pressure.  They don't run every single time they are under pressure.  And when they do run they don't always make big plays.  And Jackson puts the ball on the ground A LOT when he runs.

Why do you think the Cards and Ravens try to throw the ball at all if Murray and Jackson could just win every game with their legs. 
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2021, 01:11 PM)pally Wrote:

If he bruised his throat this makes absolute sense. 
Reply/Quote
He must have been poked deep in the throat.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote