Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CA shooting: Domestic Terrorism
(12-07-2015, 04:56 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Who implied it was limited to only Republicans?  I believe I specified "politician."

Who included you. LOL I was talking to Dino.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-07-2015, 04:51 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: A condolence is an expression of sympathy/empathy from one person to another which doesn't involve God.  A prayer involves a request for help from God.  Both can be empty.  But, only one involves a request for divine intervention which brings me back to if they are going to pray why not pray for God to end the violence rather than pray for the victims of the violence? 

Again you are assuming they do not pray to end the violence, and offering prayer is indeed a legitimate part to condolences.  Millions of people do it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(12-07-2015, 05:49 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Again you are assuming they do not pray to end the violence, and offering prayer is indeed a legitimate part to condolences.  Millions of people do it.

It's not an assumption.  It's a theory based upon the mass shooting data.
(12-07-2015, 05:53 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: It's not an assumption.  It's a theory based upon the mass shooting data.

No it's an absolute assumption that you have no way of verifying, and based on no evidence.

(12-07-2015, 06:25 PM)michaelsean Wrote: No it's an absolute assumption that you have no way of verifying, and based on no evidence.

Can we verify that just praying for people to stop killing each other isn't working either? :snark:
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(12-07-2015, 06:44 PM)GMDino Wrote: Can we verify that just praying for people to stop killing each other isn't working either? :snark:

I would say that's absolutely the case.  I've never argued it's effective.

(12-07-2015, 06:25 PM)michaelsean Wrote: No it's an absolute assumption that you have no way of verifying, and based on no evidence.

Fourteen dead and twenty-one injured in one mass shooting in one city in one day alone suggest they aren't praying to end the gun violence.  Or the prayers aren't working.
(12-07-2015, 07:01 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Fourteen dead and twenty-one injured in one mass shooting in one city in one day alone suggest they aren't praying to end the gun violence.  Or the prayers aren't working.

You never said that.

(12-07-2015, 08:01 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You never said that.

I'm willing to change my mind based upon the evidence.
(12-07-2015, 06:44 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I would say that's absolutely the case.  I've never argued it's effective.

Then, as I previously asked, what is wrong with pointing that out?  Its not "making fun of".  Its not belittling.  Its pointing out a fact.  And then the people who want to pray play the martyr card.

And we go around again and again....
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(12-07-2015, 05:10 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Churches could also do more if they didn't spend the collection money on building bigger churches so they can get more members to collect more money to build bigger churches so they can get more members so they can collect more money to build bigger churches so they can get more members to collect more money to build bigger churches . . .

What's wrong with that ?
How else are we to build a Christian army to defend against the Muslim hordes ?
Ninja

Tongue
(12-07-2015, 08:36 PM)GMDino Wrote: Then, as I previously asked, what is wrong with pointing that out?  Its not "making fun of".  Its not belittling.  Its pointing out a fact.  And then the people who want to pray play the martyr card.

And we go around again and again....

They aren't playing the martyr card they are responding to people who decided to attack their beliefs.  And did it seem to you like they were just pointing it out?  Like "Hey let's have a discussion."  Is that what you saw on the front page of that paper? 

(12-07-2015, 05:10 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Churches could also do more if they didn't spend the collection money on building bigger churches so they can get more members to collect more money to build bigger churches so they can get more members so they can collect more money to build bigger churches so they can get more members to collect more money to build bigger churches . . .

How many churches fit that description?  I can think of one in all of Cincinnati.  Maybe there's another or even two more.  And then there are the hundreds that are not that.

(12-07-2015, 01:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not mad at anyone.  I just disagree with the ones who offer prayer and nothing else.

Are you mad at me every time you disagree with me?

Also I don't think it helps anyone heal to have complete strangers offer prayer for them.

I have never been mad with you lol. I was referring to the overall attitude over this topic . It's just ridiculous.

Fred we don't know each at all. But if you disclosed that you had been going through a tough time. I would send prayers. Are you just gonna tell me to shut up? Or will you just accept them and move on... And if I had a tough time would you show some sympathy or just tell me to F off. I'm quite sure you would show some sympathy.

It's just a way to let someone know your thinking about them in their time of need . For most that is comforting.
(12-07-2015, 10:15 PM)michaelsean Wrote: How many churches fit that description?  I can think of one in all of Cincinnati.  Maybe there's another or even two more.  And then there are the hundreds that are not that.

The majority of churches I have visited have a building fund.
"Achew" God bless you." "Why you lousy MFer. F**k you. Cure a virus if you want to help."

(12-07-2015, 10:22 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The majority of churches I have visited have a building fund.

Which can be for upkeep as much as it could be for building on.
(12-07-2015, 10:20 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I have never been mad with you lol.  I was referring to the overall attitude over this topic .  It's just ridiculous.  

Fred we don't know each at all.   But if you disclosed that you had been going through a tough time.   I would send prayers.    Are you just gonna tell me to shut up?   Or will you just accept them and move on...    And if I had a tough time would you show some sympathy or just tell me to F off.   I'm quite sure you would show some sympathy.  

What's ridiculous is you falsely claiming people in this thread are mad about this when not a single person is mad about this.  So for a second time we are addressing your false allegation instead of the topic.

Quote:It's just a way to let someone know your thinking about them in their time of need .  For most that is comforting.

So you're just thinking about them and not actually praying for them? 
(12-07-2015, 10:24 PM)michaelsean Wrote: "Achew"  God bless you."  "Why you lousy MFer.  F**k you.  Cure a virus if you want to help."

That's a thoughtless reflex.  Most people say it because they believe it is expected of them.  You don't believe they are actually blessing you.
(12-07-2015, 10:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Which can be for upkeep as much as it could be for building on.

It could be.  But, in my experience it was a building fund for expansion.