Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CA shooting: Domestic Terrorism
(12-04-2015, 02:25 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Don't you think it's reasonable to question if a group of middle easterners are your neighbors and are constantly receiving loads of stuff?  Would you not go over and meet them and see what they are all about?     We meet all of our neighbors not only to be friendly but It's fair to size them up.

How exactly are you going to determine if they are terrorists on your meet and great?

Ask them to show you their bomb collection?

What do you mean by "a group" or "loads of stuff"?  I know people who do all their shopping on linbe and arew constantly receiving packages.
(12-04-2015, 11:37 PM)michaelsean Wrote: That was their remarks.  ie "prayers for victims and families."  It's what millions of people say to others during bad times, and why the assumption they don't pray that it doesn't happen again?

Yes, I understand that was their remark.  Instead of praying for the families of the victims after the crime has been committed, why not pray for the crime not to be committed thus eliminating the need to pray for the families of the victims after the fact?

Why the assumption they don't pray that it doesn't happen again?  Because it keeps happening.  So obviously they aren't praying for it not to happen.
(12-05-2015, 02:50 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I do not understand this fake outrage because people sent prayers for the victims families .  

I send prayers for loads of stuff.

I don't understand your fake outrage of the fake outrage when there isn't any fake outrage because people sent prayers for the victims families.
(12-05-2015, 08:05 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: http://www.npr.org/2015/12/05/458505532/after-mass-shootings-people-turn-to-prayer-and-prayer-shaming?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=202705

NPR.  Didn't read.

Ninja
(12-05-2015, 08:13 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: What a shame.   The daily news is outta line.    To Trivialize people's sympathy and caring for others is wrong.  

And using this to try and capitalize for more gun seizure/control is also in poor taste.   Just as some of the GOP candidates tried to capitalize on the Paris attack by insisting the NSA needed more power to spy .

That's not what they are doing.  They are trivializing politicians who do nothing about the problem except have their staff send out empty, trite slogans via Twitter. They probably don't even know what their staff Tweeted.
(12-06-2015, 12:15 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: NPR.  Didn't read.

Ninja

Which is funny, because so many that would agree with what was said there will do precisely that.
(12-06-2015, 12:19 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: That's not what they are doing.  They are trivializing politicians who do nothing about the problem except have their staff send out empty, trite slogans via Twitter. They probably don't even know what their staff Tweeted.

My point, exactly.  I wonder how many right-wingers would support a politician who took away their guns and then sent out heartfelt tweets about praying for all the victims that died because said politician disarmed them.  

How about this?  Obama let's a zillion refugees in.  Some of them were terrorists.  Obama prays for all the people killed by the terrorists he let in, and prays no more of them commit terrorist acts. Can't criticize that, can ya?  The dude is praying.  Can't mock faith.

I repealed the law that made it illegal to operate a vehicle while intoxicated. Prayers go out to all the people who have been killed by drunk driers this year. I repealed Megan's Law...prayers to all the children who have been raped thanks to that. Prayers. Don't fix stuff, pray.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-06-2015, 01:53 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: When you make laws to keep people safe it just becomes ridiculous .  

How would you feel if we did away with laws and regulations for your safety? No building codes.  No fire codes.  No traffic laws.  No criminal laws.  No FDA, companies can sell you any unregulated and untested treatment.  No EPA, companies can dump whatever wherever.  No FAA, the airlines can regulate themselves.  No gun control laws of any kind including prohibiting felons from owning firearms. Etc.
(12-06-2015, 12:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: My point, exactly.  I wonder how many right-wingers would support a politician who took away their guns and then sent out heartfelt tweets about praying for all the victims that died because said politician disarmed them.  

How about this?  Obama let's a zillion refugees in.  Some of them were terrorists.  Obama prays for all the people killed by the terrorists he let in, and prays no more of them commit terrorist acts. Can't criticize that, can ya?  The dude is praying.  Can't mock faith.

I repealed the law that made it illegal to operate a vehicle while intoxicated.  Prayers go out to all the people who have been killed by drunk driers this year.  I repealed Megan's Law...prayers to all the children who have been raped thanks to that.  Prayers.  Don't fix stuff, pray.

If gun control laws don't affect gun violence how will immigration laws affect immigration?
(12-06-2015, 12:25 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Which is funny, because so many that would agree with what was said there will do precisely that.

I know.  It's like Jungle Noise.  ESPN, SI, NFL Network are all a bunch of idiots until someone writes about how Andy Dalton is good/sucks then everyone writes it's about time those idiots got it right.
(12-06-2015, 12:10 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Yes, I understand that was their remark.  Instead of praying for the families of the victims after the crime has been committed, why not pray for the crime not to be committed thus eliminating the need to pray for the families of the victims after the fact?

Why the assumption they don't pray that it doesn't happen again?  Because it keeps happening.  So obviously they aren't praying for it not to happen.

So if they had said "our sympathy to the victims and their families" would you have had a problem?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(12-06-2015, 02:42 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: How would you feel if we did away with laws and regulations for your safety? No building codes.  No fire codes.  No traffic laws.  No criminal laws.  No FDA, companies can sell you any unregulated and untested treatment.  No EPA, companies can dump whatever wherever.  No FAA, the airlines can regulate themselves.  No gun control laws of any kind including prohibiting felons from owning firearms. Etc.

I would be ok with most of that list. There is a few I would keep.
(12-06-2015, 11:24 PM)michaelsean Wrote: So if they had said "our sympathy to the victims and their families" would you have had a problem?

No. 
(12-07-2015, 12:21 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I would be ok with most of that list.   There is a few I would keep.

I've seen this sort of thing happen. It's not pretty. You're on here more than anyone fomenting fear. You would most likely shit your pants if faced with an actual scary scenario. I hope at least for your family's sake this would never happen. 
(12-07-2015, 01:29 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: No. 

So those empty tweets written by others are OK if they don't say anything about praying for them, but adding "our prayers for them" is where you draw the line.  That's the crazy over the top stuff.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

I fall on the side of if it makes you feel better to pray then do so.

But don't act like it really does anything else.

When you pray for something to happen and don't get it...its God's will.

When you pray for something to happen and get it...God answered your prayer.

But if you don't take physical action on top of praying you are just trying to feel better or make others feel better. Not a bad thing, but not the same as actually address the situation.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(12-07-2015, 10:25 AM)michaelsean Wrote: So those empty tweets written by others are OK if they don't say anything about praying for them, but adding "our prayers for them" is where you draw the line.  That's the crazy over the top stuff.

Expressing sympathy is different than asking for third party supernatural intervention.  If they are going to ask God for something doesn't it make sense they ask God to end the killing?  I don't think it is crazy, just insincere. It's a reflex. 
(12-07-2015, 10:48 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Expressing sympathy is different than asking for third party supernatural intervention.  If they are going to ask God for something doesn't it make sense they ask God to end the killing?  I don't think it is crazy, just insincere. It's a reflex. 

You understand that it's just a common form of condolence used by tens of millions of people right?

(12-07-2015, 10:59 AM)michaelsean Wrote: You understand that it's just a common form of condolence used by tens of millions of people right?

Doesn't that just make it even more empty?  
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(12-07-2015, 11:36 AM)GMDino Wrote: Doesn't that just make it even more empty?  

No more or less empty than saying, "Our condolences to the victims and their families."