Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CIA Recruitment Video
(05-06-2021, 01:07 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Are you serious right now?  White supremacy vibe from the right?   Just wow!

I don't think that's so outlandish to say. Sure, "the right" is a huge spectrum of ideas and individuals and most of them have no affinity for white supremacy. But some sure do, see Steve King, and some seem to get a little too little backlash for that.
And then there's the leader of the party, of course, who amongst many other irritating things once said that congresswomen of color should go back to where they came from; and almost the whole right spectrum defending statements like that and seeing zero issue there. Yeah, I can see how that amounts to a vibe; without saying that many on the right are indeed white supremacists.

(05-06-2021, 01:07 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Maybe if we stopped with all the BS identity everything and just saw each other as humans things might start to get better. 

Yeah, both sides could only benefit from speaking earnestly and from listening to the other side when speaking earnestly.
Sadly, most conversations turn into a game of gotcha instead these days.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 02:17 PM)hollodero Wrote: I don't think that's so outlandish to say. Sure, "the right" is a huge spectrum of ideas and individuals and most of them have no affinity for white supremacy. But some sure do, see Steve King, and some seem to get a little too little backlash for that.
And then there's the leader of the party, of course, who amongst many other irritating things once said that congresswomen of color should go back to where they came from; and almost the whole right spectrum defending statements like that and seeing zero issue there. Yeah, I can see how that amounts to a vibe; without saying that many on the right are indeed white supremacists.

Yeah, both sides could only benefit from speaking earnestly and from listening to the other side when speaking earnestly.
Sadly, most conversations turn into a game of gotcha instead these days.

To be fair, that was not the statement that was made.  The reason they didn't have an issue is because that is not what was said.  Just like Biden didn't say the N word even though some in the media tried to twist it like he did.

Here is the complete statement.  I see nothing racist about this in any way, shape or form and I would defend anybody who said this from charges of racism.  I am not arguing for or against what he said being fact, just that I see nothing racist in those quotes.

"So interesting to see 'Progressive' Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all), now loudly and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run," Trump wrote in a series of three tweets.

"Why don't they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came," the president continued. "Then come back and show us how it is done. These places need your help badly, you can't leave fast enough. I'm sure that Nancy Pelosi would be very happy to quickly work out free travel arrangements!"

I would argue that the left is far more racist than the right at this point.  The left absolutely hates whitey.  And if you are a whitey male, then you are really screwed.  Remember, racism is not just white to black.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 04:48 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: To be fair, that was not the statement that was made.  The reason they didn't have an issue is because that is not what was said.  Just like Biden didn't say the N word even though some in the media tried to twist it like he did.

Here is the complete statement.  I see nothing racist about this in any way, shape or form and I would defend anybody who said this from charges of racism.  I am not arguing for or against what he said being fact, just that I see nothing racist in those quotes.

"So interesting to see 'Progressive' Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all), now loudly and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run," Trump wrote in a series of three tweets.

"Why don't they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came," the president continued. "Then come back and show us how it is done. These places need your help badly, you can't leave fast enough. I'm sure that Nancy Pelosi would be very happy to quickly work out free travel arrangements!"

I would argue that the left is far more racist than the right at this point.  The left absolutely hates whitey.  And if you are a whitey male, then you are really screwed.  Remember, racism is not just white to black.

Isn't Ocasio- Cortez from THIS country though?

I dunno... I don't spend too much time thinking about what that buffoon farted out into the internet, but I think the implication there is that she doesn't look like whitey, so she must not be from here.

Also... Our federal government is a joke, and barely functions here. Glass houses my friend...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 06:26 PM)jason Wrote: Isn't Ocasio- Cortez from THIS country though?

I dunno... I don't spend too much time thinking about what that buffoon farted out into the internet, but I think the implication there is that she doesn't look like whitey, so she must not be from here.

Also... Our federal government is a joke, and barely functions here. Glass houses my friend...

Think he was talking to Omar with that one, but it’s still contradictory to basic American values and general civility. It’s pretty clear some people cannot understand the principle of privilege.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 04:48 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: To be fair, that was not the statement that was made.  The reason they didn't have an issue is because that is not what was said.  Just like Biden didn't say the N word even though some in the media tried to twist it like he did.

I can't quite see the point... it was the statement made, almost verbatim. Why don't they go back to the countries they came from. It's pretty much right there, in your quotes, and it is not at all like Biden's "n-word" incident.
Even if you want to find nothing iffy at all there, it's not like this was a singular incident. Trump also claimed that a judge can't possibly be fair because of his Mexican name. He was behind that birther movement for crying out loud. He has a history of racist comments and I just stop there because "he was a birther" is actually enough said.

(05-06-2021, 04:48 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I would argue that the left is far more racist than the right at this point.  The left absolutely hates whitey.  And if you are a whitey male, then you are really screwed.  Remember, racism is not just white to black.

Yeah, no, you're not screwed as a white male. This is just an exaggeration without any real examples and with zero statistical backing.
Reply/Quote
The way this thread has progressed is exactly why I spend so little time in the forum. It's also why I spend so little time trying to discuss anything even remotely political on the internet.

Whether or not you find the video cringeworthy or not (I'm not sure how anyone couldn't at least acknowledge it's a tad bit over the top), I would hope that we call all agree this discussion has gone completely off the rails.

White supremacy, Donald Trump, AOC??? What do any of these things have to with this video?

You know what, **** it, I'm out. I resisted posting on here for a long while. Now I remember why. This is such a gigantic waste of time. What an absolute shitshow.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 08:10 PM)hollodero Wrote: I can't quite see the point... it was the statement made, almost verbatim. Why don't they go back to the countries they came from. It's pretty much right there, in your quotes, and it is not at all like Biden's "n-word" incident.
Even if you want to find nothing iffy at all there, it's not like this was a singular incident. Trump also claimed that a judge can't possibly be fair because of his Mexican name. He was behind that birther movement for crying out loud. He has a history of racist comments and I just stop there because "he was a birther" is actually enough said.

Yeah, no, you're not screwed as a white male. This is just an exaggeration without any real examples and with zero statistical backing.
That is not the quote.  This is the actual quote.........."Why don't they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came,".    

You completely twisted the quote.  Please explain to me what part of the quote I just posted is racist cause i'm not seeing it.

What does being a "birther" have to do with racism?  Again, not saying I agree or disagree with the birther thing, just that what does questioning where someone was born have to do with racism?

It's practically the lib/dem mantra at this point.  Whitey is bad.  Have you not seen white libs apologizing for being white?  White fragility?  Critical race theory?  Coke diversity training asking people to be less white?  Etc., etc., etc.

I mean screwed as in society as a whole because we are producing a bunch of weak, offended little b!@#$es who cry over everything. China and other Countries are probably laughing their asses off at how stupid we are.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 10:53 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: That is not the quote.  This is the actual quote.........."Why don't they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came,".    

You completely twisted the quote.  Please explain to me what part of the quote I just posted is racist cause i'm not seeing it.

I did not twist it, I just shortened it, basically by leaving out the crime infested part.

I'm honestly at a loss when it comes to explaining how this is racist. In short, it is racist because it would not have been the response given to someone white called Jane Smith.

Given you have a neighbor, a working colleague, whatever, who is as American as you, but of say Hispanic descent, darker teint, his last name being Garcia or something. Now if that person tells you to do something different, takes issue with something you do, could you respond something akin to "oh yeah? Well, why don't you go back to Mexico and take care about this mess of a place before coming to the US and telling me what to do". You think that would fly? You'd think that wouldn't be deemed racist?

And please do not tell me that example is not word by word what Trump said. It is exactly the spirit. And even if you do not see it at all, which is puzzling, you at least have to acknowledge that it's not an outlandish smear to see anything racist there.

Birtherism also is racist, the main reason being that this would not have been brought up if president Obama were a white dude called John Smith either. No one would have speculated he is a Kenyan and a muslim, no one would have fed a lie designed to enrage racists who have an issue with a black president. And this was the group the birtherism trope was aimed at. Don't kid yourself on that. Also, again reverse question, would you think it's fine if Dems would have called on Ted Cruz that he, given his last name, rather fixed Mexico before he tries to rule in Texas? Or told Kirstjen Nielsen to rather fix the European immigration problem, where she apparently came from, before trying to fix US immigration? Jeez your name is Kirstjen, is this even American, are you even born here?

--- There's of course also a history with Trump. You choose to go full benefit of the doubt for a man that once said he does not like black people counting his money and that he thinks laziness is a trait in blacks. Amongst many many other things.

(05-07-2021, 10:53 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: It's practically the lib/dem mantra at this point.  Whitey is bad.  Have you not seen white libs apologizing for being white?  White fragility?  Critical race theory?  Coke diversity training asking people to be less white?  Etc., etc., etc.

I've not seen all of these things, but any diversity training making people less white is not a thing white people do or are asked to do. That is fringe. I do, however, think that some displays of white guilt go too far, and I also think some accusations against white people go too far.
But you can't sell me that being a white male in America is a disadvantage. It's still the best sex/race rombination you could get. Or do you honestly believe you would have had it easier in life if you were a black guy, or a black woman. If so, please reconsider.

(05-07-2021, 10:53 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I mean screwed as in society as a whole because we are producing a bunch of weak, offended little b!@#$es who cry over everything.  China and other Countries are probably laughing their asses off at how stupid we are.

I don't think they do. I am from another country, and we laugh at americans for being uneducated, ignorant, fatasses, laughably patriotic, and lately especially for electing a person like Donald Trump. Are these fair, nope they are not, but honestly being oversensitive is not one of the major plot points to ridicule Americans.

---
@OP I did not find the video particularly cringeworthy, not more as all of these videos usually are. I guess that's the silent majority's take and there was little to add to that. If this thread weren't used to talk about issues coming up in it aka going off the rails (most threads do at some point), it would just have vanished by now. Imho no reason to get so mad.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 10:04 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: The way this thread has progressed is exactly why I spend so little time in the forum. It's also why I spend so little time trying to discuss anything even remotely political on the internet.

Whether or not you find the video cringeworthy or not (I'm not sure how anyone couldn't at least acknowledge it's a tad bit over the top), I would hope that we call all agree this discussion has gone completely off the rails.

White supremacy, Donald Trump, AOC??? What do any of these things have to with this video?

You know what, **** it, I'm out. I resisted posting on here for a long while. Now I remember why. This is such a gigantic waste of time. What an absolute shitshow.

Outraged others don’t share your outrage over a minority women recruitment video. Then rage quitting. Lol

I think the current political climate has a lot to do with why that particular video was made.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 11:52 AM)hollodero Wrote: I did not twist it, I just shortened it, basically by leaving out the crime infested part.

I'm honestly at a loss when it comes to explaining how this is racist. In short, it is racist because it would not have been the response given to someone white called Jane Smith.

Given you have a neighbor, a working colleague, whatever, who is as American as you, but of say Hispanic descent, darker teint, his last name being Garcia or something. Now if that person tells you to do something different, takes issue with something you do, could you respond something akin to "oh yeah? Well, why don't you go back to Mexico and take care about this mess of a place before coming to the US and telling me what to do". You think that would fly? You'd think that wouldn't be deemed racist?

And please do not tell me that example is not word by word what Trump said. It is exactly the spirit. And even if you do not see it at all, which is puzzling, you at least have to acknowledge that it's not an outlandish smear to see anything racist there.

Birtherism also is racist, the main reason being that this would not have been brought up if president Obama were a white dude called John Smith either. No one would have speculated he is a Kenyan and a muslim, no one would have fed a lie designed to enrage racists who have an issue with a black president. And this was the group the birtherism trope was aimed at. Don't kid yourself on that. Also, again reverse question, would you think it's fine if Dems would have called on Ted Cruz that he, given his last name, rather fixed Mexico before he tries to rule in Texas? Or told Kirstjen Nielsen to rather fix the European immigration problem, where she apparently came from, before trying to fix US immigration? Jeez your name is Kirstjen, is this even American, are you even born here?

--- There's of course also a history with Trump. You choose to go full benefit of the doubt for a man that once said he does not like black people counting his money and that he thinks laziness is a trait in blacks. Amongst many many other things.

I've not seen all of these things, but any diversity training making people less white is not a thing white people do or are asked to do. That is fringe. I do, however, think that some displays of white guilt go too far, and I also think some accusations against white people go too far.
But you can't sell me that being a white male in America is a disadvantage. It's still the best sex/race rombination you could get. Or do you honestly believe you would have had it easier in life if you were a black guy, or a black woman. If so, please reconsider.

I don't think they do. I am from another country, and we laugh at americans for being uneducated, ignorant, fatasses, laughably patriotic, and lately especially for electing a person like Donald Trump. Are these fair, nope they are not, but honestly being oversensitive is not one of the major plot points to ridicule Americans.

---
@OP I did not find the video particularly cringeworthy, not more as all of these videos usually are. I guess that's the silent majority's take and there was little to add to that. If this thread weren't used to talk about issues coming up in it aka going off the rails (most threads do at some point), it would just have vanished by now. Imho no reason to get so mad.
We will just have to agree to disagree.  I see nothing racist in either his quote or the birther thing.  Now if you shorten and change the quote like you did than sure, you could possibly, maybe, kind of, sort of see a tinge of racism, but the quote as a whole and in the context in which it was said, no way.  

I find the "laughably patriotic" comment interesting.  I had no idea that loving the Country you are a citizen of is a bad thing.  I always thought that would be unifying.  I guess in todays climate it is cool to hate your Country, it's flag and it's anthem.  They are probably racist anyway.  What isn't these days? 

This is why I like having no affiliation to any party and try to just look at things as they are.  Trump and Biden are both jokes as Prez.  I just happened to like ones policies over the other, but they are both embarrassing as Prez.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 12:22 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: We will just have to agree to disagree.  I see nothing racist in either his quote or the birther thing.  Now if you shorten and change the quote like you did than sure, you could possibly, maybe, kind of, sort of see a tinge of racism

Well, that's a concession of sorts, I take it :) I would say I did not change the meaning in any way, but hey I can't make my point any better anyway.

(05-07-2021, 12:22 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I find the "laughably patriotic" comment interesting.  I had no idea that loving the Country you are a citizen of is a bad thing.  I always thought that would be unifying.  I guess in todays climate it is cool to hate your Country, it's flag and it's anthem.  They are probably racist anyway.  What isn't these days? 

Look, I just mentioned something people in other countries often say about Americans. They say it because they see you playing the anthem at all kinds of occasions, eg. before sporting events (no one in Europe would ever do that), many pupils recite the pledge of allegiance every day with hand at heart and everything, you flood the world with america the greatest films and music, the american flag apparently is everywhere, presidents hug and kiss it, your politicians left and right all say that this is the greatest country the world has ever seen or that the worst day in America is better than the best day in any other country and stuff like that. This is not about saying loving your country is bad, it's rather the outside impression that it's a bit much at times and borders indoctrination.

(05-07-2021, 12:22 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: This is why I like having no affiliation to any party and try to just look at things as they are.  Trump and Biden are both jokes as Prez.  I just happened to like ones policies over the other, but they are both embarrassing as Prez.

I would argue vividly that Trump is way more embarrassing, given the stuff he said, just as one slim example out of thousands given the fact that I as Austrian do not live in forest cities with exploding trees (somehting he actually said) and whatnot, but actually... fair enough. If you see Trump as a joke, you're already a minority within the more conservative leaning spectrum anyway.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 11:52 AM)hollodero Wrote: I am from another country, and we laugh at americans for being uneducated, ignorant, fatasses, laughably patriotic, and lately especially for electing a person like Donald Trump. Are these fair, nope they are not, but honestly being oversensitive is not one of the major plot points to ridicule America

Quick question(s):  Why are you on this website?  How did it come to be that you have nothing better to do than to talk American politics day after day, after day?

I've legitimately never seen you particpate in anything on Jungle Noise or about the NFL.  Are you a Bengals fan?

Now, you might read this and immediately come to the conclusion that I'm somehow being unwelcoming to foreigners.  I suppose that would be a fair assumption given only the above, but I assure it's more nuanced than that.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around how I would feel if I were in your shoes.  Imagine I go to an Austrian sports team page (obviously used primarily to talk sports) and find myself in their politics section.  I then decide to participate for whatever reason.

One would think I would approach my conversations in a very different way than the citizens of Austria who on the page.  I may ask more questions.  I may ask for more opinions.  I may preface a lot of statements with things like "It is my understanding" or  "From what I read" to clearly illustrate that my knowledge is coming from afar.

I just can't imagine diving headfirst into political discussion with people from other countries about their government or the makeup of their political and social issues.  Not only do I have no direct experience in it, it's just not my place.

How do you think an American would be received on a French, or German, or Italian, or Austrian (or insert country here) message board pretending to have a legitimate grasp on that countries political and social issues?  It wouldn't go over to well I imagine, would it?  Why?  Because frankly it's absurd.

The even better question is: Why would any American want to do this?  I've got nothing better to do with my time that post thousands of times arguing about Austrian politics with actual Austrians?

I can't be the only one who has been wondering this?  Why are you so obsessed with America?  The amount of time you spend on here seems very, very strange to me.

It's funny to the descriptions you just used to describe Americans.  You clearly stated that's how you and many others view us.  Yet you're absolutely obsessed with us.  Your participation in this very forum is proof of this.

Americans are unedcuated?  Yet people from all over the world come to our universities.  A vast number of technological innovations have been sparked here.  We're one of the richest countries in the world, and have been for decades and decades despite our country being comprised of uneducated and ignorant idiots.

Americans are fatasses?  Yet we have the best athletes in the entire world.  Even our 4th and 5th most popular sports (hockey and soccer/football are better than the majority of the world's countries.  Check the olympic medals, check the more pure athletic competitions like Track and Field, Swimming, Gymnastics.  It's amazing that the a country that can reduced to branded "Fatasses" by foreigners just so happens to produce the most world class athletes in the world.

I'd love to know just how much time you've spent in America?  Is it any at all?  Do you have immediate family here? 

I'm gonna wrap it up here because I'll keep rambling.  But this really struck a nerve.  And it's been apparent to me for a long time that someone from Austria coming on here and talking about "right wing" this, or Puerto Rico statehood, or really anything else is downright absurd.

Dude, get a life.  You just made it perfectly clear why you're really here.  That typical European looking down on Americans while simulataneously being obsessed with us.

PS I find nothing more enjoyable than watching an Austrian weigh in on social issues and preaching tolerance.  Like we didn't forget about that whole Nazi thing that occurred 70 years ago.  Let's all listen to Germans and Austrians preach to us Americans about tolerance.  ***** absolutely delusional.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 12:46 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: PS I find nothing more enjoyable than watching an Austrian weigh in on social issues and preaching tolerance.  Like we didn't forget about that whole Nazi thing that occurred 70 years ago.  Let's all listen to Germans and Austrians preach to us Americans about tollerance.  ***** absolutely delusional.

OK I planned on not taking any offense and answering to your post in good spirits, but these sentences finally made me back off. So no answer from me, have a nice day.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 10:53 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: That is not the quote.  This is the actual quote.........."Why don't they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came,".    

They came from the United States.  That is what makes the statement so bad. It is an attempt to define all minorities here in the United Sates based on problem areas around the world where they never lived.  One of the favorite schemes from the White Supremacists playbook.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 12:46 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Quick question(s):  Why are you on this website?  How did it come to be that you have nothing better to do than to talk American politics day after day, after day?

I've legitimately never seen you particpate in anything on Jungle Noise or about the NFL.  Are you a Bengals fan?

Funny that you have never jumped SSF about this.

Gee, I wonder why?

(05-07-2021, 12:46 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: PS I find nothing more enjoyable than watching an Austrian weigh in on social issues and preaching tolerance.  Like we didn't forget about that whole Nazi thing that occurred 70 years ago.  Let's all listen to Germans and Austrians preach to us Americans about tolerance.  ***** absolutely delusional.

According to his own logics Trump is "from Germany".  You trust him?
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 12:50 PM)hollodero Wrote: OK I planned on not taking any offense and answering to your post in good spirits, but this sentence finally made me back off. So no answer from me, have a nice day.

Aww, we can't talk about your country?  That's a shame.

You know, I often thought about joining an Austrian sports message board and diving into their political section.  You know, just really diving in there and mixing it up.  Who cares if I don't really know what the hell it is I'm talking about?  But then I remembered I actually have a life and have better things to do.

PS You know what Americans think about Austrians?  (since you filled us in on the reverse)  The answer is not much.  The first thing that comes to mind is Nazis.  Germany's closest ally, that was filled with LITERAL Nazis when my grandparents were in their 20's.  Other than that?  Maybe a 2nd rate European power that we don't give much thought to.  That Mozart guy was pretty cool hundreds of years ago though.  
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 12:22 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote:   I guess in todays climate it is cool to hate your Country, 

Apparently so

(05-05-2021, 02:14 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: our society is so f!@#ed.

(05-07-2021, 10:53 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I mean screwed as in society as a whole because we are producing a bunch of weak, offended little b!@#$es who cry over everything.  China and other Countries are probably laughing their asses off at how stupid we are.

It really came to a head when trump was running for President on the platform that the UNityed States was a mess and that he was the only one who could "Make it great again".
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 01:10 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: PS You know what Americans think about Austrians?  (since you filled us in on the reverse)  The answer is not much.  The first thing that comes to mind is Nazis.  Germany's closest ally, that was filled with LITERAL Nazis when my grandparents were in their 20's.  Other than that?  Maybe a 2nd rate European power that we don't give much thought to.  That Mozart guy was pretty cool hundreds of years ago though.  

I think Americans are the only people arrogant enough to actually BRAG about being IGNORANT of other cultures.  It is a badge oif honor for them to be clueless about the rest of the world.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 01:10 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Aww, we can't talk about your country?  That's a shame.

I talked with people about my country many times, I made fun of it, mocked it, scolded it, everything. I just don't talk about my country or any other topic with someone so apparently in mean spirits as you are. Leave me be.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 04:48 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote:  And if you are a whitey male, then you are really screwed.  

Talk about "cringeworthy".  Nothing is worse than a white male trying to play a "racism" victim card.

I mean white men control a grossly disproportionate percentage of the wealth and power in this country; and there is zero evidence that they have been victims of any systematic racism by lenders, housing providers, or employers; and they have not been the victims of racial profiling by law enforcement.  But they are crying about being "screwed".

Guess these are the people Mickey was talking about when he mentioned "weak, offended little bitches who cry over everything"
Reply/Quote