Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
CNN goes all in to blackmail Reddit user who made the gif Trump Tweeted.
(07-06-2017, 11:00 AM)GMDino Wrote: Seems some have a real problem with a news agency doing research but not so much with a bunch of people on the internet threatening reporters, their coworkers and their families.

That's interesting.

If someone was doxxing or excessively harassing a reporter I'd be very against it. This guy made a meme a posted it to a message board for Trump fans to see. 
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(07-06-2017, 04:39 PM)6andcounting Wrote: If someone was doxxing or excessively harassing a reporter I'd be very against it. This guy made a meme a posted it to a message board for Trump fans to see. 

Problem is...it became famous.

Not everyone wants to be famous.  Obviously this guy doesn't because he turned tail and apologized.

Blame the POTUS first, media second.

But the trolls are rising against CNN.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2017/07/05/daily-stormer-troll-army-threatens-cnn-staffers-over-reddit-user-behind-trumpcnn-gif
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-06-2017, 03:44 PM)GMDino Wrote: Shocked

Far from it.  I made an assertion and was asked if I had some proof or was just making it up to make a point otherwise your name would not have come up unless he went and looked for the post himself.

ThumbsUp

Avg run of the mill reporter at CNN doesn't deserve to get Dox'd (whatever the heck that is). But this reporter has shown a history of using his employer as a way to threaten anyone who does or says something he disagrees. So far this guy has used NBC and CNN to threaten some citizen.
(07-06-2017, 04:40 PM)GMDino Wrote: Problem is...it became famous.

Not everyone wants to be famous.  Obviously this guy doesn't because he turned tail and apologized.

Blame the POTUS first, media second.

But the trolls are rising against CNN.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2017/07/05/daily-stormer-troll-army-threatens-cnn-staffers-over-reddit-user-behind-trumpcnn-gif

They got the wrong guy. No wonder he said whatever it toon
I'll just leave this here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McIntyre_v._Ohio_Elections_Commission

In striking down the law, the court considered some important reasons to allow anonymous speech that weighed in their decision.

Enhance authority - "Anonymity thereby provides a way for a writer who may be personally unpopular to ensure that readers will not prejudge her message simply because they do not like its proponent."[6]
Encourage open discourse - "The interest in having anonymous works enter the marketplace of ideas unquestionably outweighs any public interest in requiring disclosure as a condition of entry."[7]
Safety from retaliation - "The decision in favor of anonymity may be motivated by fear of economic or official retaliation, by concern about social ostracism, or merely by a desire to preserve as much of one's privacy as possible."[8]
(07-06-2017, 09:49 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'll just leave this here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McIntyre_v._Ohio_Elections_Commission

In striking down the law, the court considered some important reasons to allow anonymous speech that weighed in their decision.

Enhance authority - "Anonymity thereby provides a way for a writer who may be personally unpopular to ensure that readers will not prejudge her message simply because they do not like its proponent."[6]
Encourage open discourse - "The interest in having anonymous works enter the marketplace of ideas unquestionably outweighs any public interest in requiring disclosure as a condition of entry."[7]
Safety from retaliation - "The decision in favor of anonymity may be motivated by fear of economic or official retaliation, by concern about social ostracism, or merely by a desire to preserve as much of one's privacy as possible."[8]

Odd that this got no response from those arguing otherwise.  Maybe not odd?
(07-06-2017, 06:04 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: They got the wrong guy.   No wonder he said whatever it toon

Why not just prove he's the wrong guy instead of pulling all his offensive post...that he couldn't have posted if he was the "wrong guy"?

Mellow
(07-07-2017, 11:25 AM)GMDino Wrote: Why not just prove he's the wrong guy instead of pulling all his offensive post...that he couldn't have posted if he was the "wrong guy"?

Mellow

Because when a major global media corporation with an agenda contacts me about a gif I made then there is no need interview.
(07-07-2017, 11:34 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Because when a major global media corporation with an agenda contacts me about a gif I made then there is no need interview.

Instead you would just apologize and remove all the offensive posts you didn't make?  Seems legit....
(07-07-2017, 11:36 AM)GMDino Wrote: Instead you would just apologize and remove all the offensive posts you didn't make?  Seems legit....

If CNN called me today about a gif or posts on Reddit. I would not even return the call. I would do anything to make it go away. They have almost unlimited resources and have proven they make the news into whatever they want..... my personal and professional life is more important than the hassle of correcting fake news when they run with something out of context.

They even leaned on the wrong guy. It's amazing. It just shows how innocent people get swept up when this reporter and CNN are looking to punish a citizen for making a gif.

This is brown shirt type stuff by CNN.
(07-07-2017, 11:42 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: If CNN called me today about a gif or posts on Reddit.   I would not even return the call.   I would do anything to make it go away.   They have almost unlimited resources and have proven they make the news into whatever they want.....   my personal and professional life is more important than the hassle of correcting fake news when they run with something out of context.

They even leaned on the wrong guy.   It's amazing.  It just shows how innocent people get swept up when this reporter and CNN are looking to punish a citizen for making a gif.    

This is brown shirt type stuff by CNN.

That's very beta to just tuck tail and run rather than stand for what you said/did.  Especially if you were falsely accused of posting much worse things. 
(07-07-2017, 11:59 AM)GMDino Wrote: That's very beta to just tuck tail and run rather than stand for what you said/did.  Especially if you were falsely accused of posting much worse things. 

The principled fight over gif creation isn't worth the damage a global media corporation can do to a private citizen.
(07-07-2017, 02:56 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The principled fight over gif creation isn't worth the damage a global media corporation can do to a private citizen.

The ignoring of the facts of the story by some in order to forward a warped ideology isn't worth the damage this conversation has done to my brain.
(07-07-2017, 03:20 PM)GMDino Wrote: The ignoring of the facts of the story by some in order to forward a warped ideology isn't worth the damage this conversation has done to my brain.

Supporting CNN in this instance is 1984 type stuff.

Yeah the Han Solo guy was probably an ahole. No one deserves the CNN thought police after them.
(07-07-2017, 03:59 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Supporting CNN in this instance is 1984 type stuff.

Yeah the Han Solo guy was probably an ahole.    No one deserves the CNN thought police after them.

1) Yes in 1984 the media held people accountable for their speech in order to bring down the government,  Mellow

2) You used that wrong.  Smirk

3) You're still ignoring all the stuff the "wrong guy" took down somehow.  ThumbsUp
(07-07-2017, 04:16 PM)GMDino Wrote: 1) Yes in 1984 the media held people accountable for their speech in order to bring down the government,  Mellow

2) You used that wrong.  Smirk

3) You're still ignoring all the stuff the "wrong guy" took down somehow.  ThumbsUp

you should reread my post.
Some words from a liberal journalist on this (paraphrasing): As someone in the fourth estate, we need to do everything we can to not be the news. CNN has played into the premise of the meme and continued to make themselves the story and that is not what we should be doing.

She also agreed that the whole "we reserve the right" line should not have been there, but also that she doesn't think Andrew (I think that is the reporter's name) wrote that line based upon the information she has.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-05-2017, 03:02 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I have yet to have anyone prove to me that this "targeting" was anything out of the ordinary. People have their names in the news for doing stupid shit all of the time..............

And most of those live in Florida.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-08-2017, 07:54 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Some words from a liberal journalist on this (paraphrasing): As someone in the fourth estate, we need to do everything we can to not be the news. CNN has played into the premise of the meme and continued to make themselves the story and that is not what we should be doing.

She also agreed that the whole "we reserve the right" line should not have been there, but also that she doesn't think Andrew (I think that is the reporter's name) wrote that line based upon the information she has.

Can't blame an editor every time something in one of your articles gets slammed.  I have yet to see anyone, and note I'm not accusing you of this, of explaining how the person who made a fuggin gif is newsworthy.    I don't give a crap about the unearthed posting history of the guy because it isn't relevant to the gif.  Also, claiming the gif incites violence against journalism is sniveling at level red.