Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
CNN goes all in to blackmail Reddit user who made the gif Trump Tweeted.
(07-05-2017, 02:55 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: This is a mega media corporation targeting a private civilian. This should infuriate you. No matter CNN's reasoning.

The media has targeting private citizens who have done good and bad things for hundreds of years. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-05-2017, 02:11 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I think he is more concerned about the comments which he described as "hateful" and "racist, bigoted, and anti-semetic" which he apologized for and deleted.

That's not why CNN tracked him down though...
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(07-05-2017, 02:55 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: This is a mega media corporation targeting a private civilian. This should infuriate you. No matter CNN's reasoning.

I have yet to have anyone prove to me that this "targeting" was anything out of the ordinary. People have their names in the news for doing stupid shit all of the time, this has suddenly become different, why?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-05-2017, 03:02 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I have yet to have anyone prove to me that this "targeting" was anything out of the ordinary. People have their names in the news for doing stupid shit all of the time, this has suddenly become different, why?

In response to a meme the President retweeted. I'd say that's very out of the ordinary.
(07-05-2017, 01:49 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/882622305184223234

From Glenn Greenwald.  Not sure how to post this so the photo shows

click the little arrow on the top right of the tweet and select "embed tweet", then just copy the code here.

Delete the last line that starts with "script" or your browser may go wild
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-05-2017, 02:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Was CNN going to release anything other than his name, like they would in pretty much any news story where they quote someone making a comment? Do you consider it doxxing when CNN names someone that speaks to them or does something newsworthy?

CNN uses anonymous sources all the time. After telling their viewers the meme was a call to violence they know releasing his real name - which adds nothing to the actual content or context of the story - will get him doxxed.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(07-05-2017, 03:05 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: click the little arrow on the top right of the tweet and select "embed tweet", then just copy the code here.

Delete the last line that starts with "script" or your browser may go wild

Thank you Pat.

It wasn't a mega media corporation, it was one reporter who worked for CNN that looked through a guys posting history. Trying to imply they used some sort of super power not available to me or you to find this guy shows ignorance of how easy and common this is. They used the guys information he willingly supplied to anyone who wanted it to find out who he was. He put the statements into the public domain on his own free will and is now worried what may happen based of his own words.
(07-05-2017, 03:03 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: In response to a meme the President retweeted. I'd say that's very out of the ordinary.

It was a newsworthy thing. I still don't see it as out of the ordinary.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-05-2017, 02:19 PM)Au165 Wrote: You may not agree with it, but it is not blackmail. He could have dealt with the consequences of his actions and not offered a deal to them. What has happened here is a reality check to trolls who think they can spew hate and hide on the internet behind anonymity. He got busted and rather than being exposed HE cut a deal.

He was tracked down over a meme he posted to reddit. Nothing about that is trolling or hateful. 
http://www.dailywire.com/news/18286/breaking-cnn-may-have-targeted-wrong-reddit-meme-ben-shapiro

Looks like CNN muscled the wrong guy.

Quote:BREAKING: CNN May Have Targeted The WRONG Reddit Meme Creator Over Trump's WWE Tweet

July 5, 2017
So, after nearly a full day of promoting a story labeling the redoubtable Reddit meme generator HanA**holeSolo the source of President Trump’s WWE vs. CNN logo wrestling gif, it turns out that CNN may have botched the story wrong. HanA**holeSolo apologized for his myriad wrongs and stated that he never meant to promote violence. CNN threatened to out HanA**holeSolo’s identity if he reneged on his apology.

And the meme Trump tweeted wasn’t generated by HanA**holeSolo. CNN shot first.

According to BuzzFeed, “one user pointed out that what Trump tweeted wasn’t actually HanA**holeSolo’s GIF.” Trump’s gif included both video and audio – whereas the Rebel smuggler wannabe’s gif did not include audio. Furthermore, the original HanA**holeSolo gif “was shorter, had a different aspect ratio, and had a WWE logo in the corner…Not even the colors are processed in the same manner… HanAssholeSolo's GIF has an NTSC aspect ratio, because it was cut directly from a taping of analog Westlemania footage. Trump's video has an aspect ratio of 16:9.”
BuzzFeed continues:

Someone downloaded the GIF that HanAssholeSolo originally posted to Reddit. Then that person cropped it to better fit a video player like Facebook or YouTube. Then they went through the effort of syncing it back up with audio from the original clip. Then that person put it somewhere where Trump or one of Trump's people could see it and download it. Then whoever found the video version had to get it to Trump's phone.

Or it’s possible that someone went looking for the same WWE clip to imitate the HanA**holeSolo meme. BuzzFeed suggests that the actual gif came from Facebook, not Reddit. In any case, it’s not quite as simple as Trump grabbing the meme and retweeting it to the world.

Which means that even CNN’s take – that Trump is somehow responsible for the other content from HanA**holeSolo – wouldn’t make any sense. If Trump never saw the original meme, why would he possibly be expected to know what else the original guy was putting out?

Oopsies.
(07-05-2017, 03:10 PM)6andcounting Wrote: He was tracked down over a meme he posted to reddit. Nothing about that is trolling or hateful. 

"But but but...they found he posted racist stuff!@#@#!@!!!" 

The full blown thought police mentality is getting a little out of hand.  Yawn
(07-05-2017, 03:13 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: "But but but...they found he posted racist stuff!@#@#!@!!!" 

You are free to say anything you want. You are also free to be held accountable for everything you say.
(07-05-2017, 03:13 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: "But but but...they found he posted racist stuff!@#@#!@!!!" 

The definition of racist is so out of whack. There are some here who call me racism when you call out some black woman for being ugly.
(07-05-2017, 03:18 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The definition of racist is so out of whack.  There are some here who call me racism when you call out some black woman for being ugly.

He posted overtly racist things:

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Trump-Is-Giving-This-Country-Its-Identity-Back?pid=397128#pid397128

Click the link to the story to see the worse stuff I didn't copy here.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-05-2017, 03:26 PM)GMDino Wrote: He posted overtly racist things:

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Trump-Is-Giving-This-Country-Its-Identity-Back?pid=397128#pid397128

Click the link to the story to see the worse stuff I didn't copy here.

Other than posting some factually correct but uncomfortable statements the only real bad one was where he actually used the N word.

Is he an ahole? Yes.
Does he deserve to he blasted by a major media network? No.
(07-05-2017, 03:37 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Other than posting some factually correct but uncomfortable statements the only real bad one was where he actually used the N word.  

Is he an ahole?   Yes.    
Does he deserve to he blasted by a major media network? No.

Those are just the ones in the story.

But, again, if that's all he did why worry about his name being out there?

Stand behind your words of STFU.  Right?
(07-05-2017, 03:40 PM)GMDino Wrote: Those are just the ones in the story.

But, again, if that's all he did why worry about his name being out there?

Stand behind your words of STFU.  Right?

Not when that reporter has a history or calling employers and reporting to them what someone has said on social media and then pressuring when to fire them or face bad press.
(07-05-2017, 03:40 PM)GMDino Wrote: But, again, if that's all he did why worry about his name being out there?

Doxxing and swatting of him, his family, his freinds and his work. 
(07-05-2017, 03:52 PM)6andcounting Wrote: Doxxing and swatting of him, his family, his freinds and his work. 

Okay, I had to look those up.

Seems it used by he community against people that "attacked" them more than toward people IN the community.

Nonetheless...if you have a fear that your friends and family will get swept up in the world of crappy posts don't do it.