Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
CNN goes all in to blackmail Reddit user who made the gif Trump Tweeted.
(07-05-2017, 02:55 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: This is a mega media corporation targeting a private civilian. This should infuriate you. No matter CNN's reasoning.

Targeted by attaching his name to his quotes?
(07-05-2017, 03:06 PM)6andcounting Wrote: CNN uses anonymous sources all the time. After telling their viewers the meme was a call to violence they know releasing his real name - which adds nothing to the actual content or context of the story - will get him doxxed.

They haven't released his name. Yet, not releasing his name has added more to the story.
(07-05-2017, 03:10 PM)6andcounting Wrote: He was tracked down over a meme he posted to reddit. Nothing about that is trolling or hateful. 

Do you believe he would be doxxed and swatted if he just posted a meme and that's all there was to the story?
So, I've been reading a lot on this issue, today. A lot of different perspectives, and I've had some conversations with people. I stand by my statement that the act of naming this guy isn't something that I would vilify CNN for. But in reading more regarding the context of this whole debate that has been stirred up, I don't agree with one thing. "We reserve the right..." If that line wasn't there, then I would feel differently.

I freely admit that I didn't read everything before jumping into this shitstorm, and I still stand by what I have said on here, but I disagree with CNN's move because of that "we reserve the right" line. That does put an implicit blackmail stamp on the story. Remove that line and I am good.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-05-2017, 05:52 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, I've been reading a lot on this issue, today. A lot of different perspectives, and I've had some conversations with people. I stand by my statement that the act of naming this guy isn't something that I would vilify CNN for. But in reading more regarding the context of this whole debate that has been stirred up, I don't agree with one thing. "We reserve the right..." If that line wasn't there, then I would feel differently.

I freely admit that I didn't read everything before jumping into this shitstorm, and I still stand by what I have said on here, but I disagree with CNN's move because of that "we reserve the right" line. That does put an implicit blackmail stamp on the story. Remove that line and I am good.

I agree. I also saw where they are trying to claim that was put in after it was submitted, but given that reporters history it's highly doubtful and his previous actions call this circumstance into question.
(07-05-2017, 01:49 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I do know, and someone could be doxxed or swatted without CNN doing a damn thing. People get doxxed and swatted all the time for random stupid things. I've seen it happen from all sides of the spectrum. I don't want to see that sort of thing happening to anyone, but it's a risk you take when you get into those flame wars. This doesn't change my position.

If you are too chicken shit to sign your name to something you have said, then don't say it. Simple as that. If it has the potential to cost you your job then maybe you should rethink it. I hear stories all of the time about people losing their jobs or not being hired for things they say online, and I have no sympathy. If you say it, own up to it.

(07-05-2017, 01:54 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: This is like the south park episodes where the internet trolls are going to get exposed and they freak out.

Lol tough shit. Put on a kkk hood and go to a rally maybe noone will learn you true identity then.

(07-05-2017, 02:16 PM)GMDino Wrote: And as Matt has already said, but I will back up, he said plenty of other things.

I didn't even think I could copy some of them to this board when talking about it.

And as I said, and Matt said, if you can't sign your name to it...don't say it.

While I understand the point you three are trying to make let me put it in personal terms.  Please post your full legal name and residential address right now in this thread.  If you stand by everything you've posted here that shouldn't be a problem right?
(07-05-2017, 02:55 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: This is a mega media corporation targeting a private civilian. This should infuriate you. No matter CNN's reasoning.

Does the President of the United States targeting private citizens infuriate you? Or na?

What about some rich asshole burying less fortunate private citizens in lawyers and screwing their brains out?
(07-05-2017, 06:46 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: While I understand the point you three are trying to make let me put it in personal terms.  Please post your full legal name and residential address right now in this thread.  If you stand by everything you've posted here that shouldn't be a problem right?

If the president was tweeting my posts i would gladly take credit. For your amusement i wouldnt.
(07-05-2017, 06:58 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: If the president was tweeting my posts i would gladly take credit. For your amusement i wouldnt.

I didn't ask for my amusement, I asked a general question.  If it's no big deal to stand by what you post then why don't you, or anyone else, actually do it?  We all know the real answer to that question.  Pretending that possessing a degree of anonymity on the internet isn't preferable is rather disingenuous.
(07-05-2017, 12:40 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Pretty crazy that a media corporation is threatening using its power to stop a citizen's first amendment rights because it makes them look ridiculous.    

CNN is a joke and this petty nonsense is just yet another reason why they can not be taken serious.    

And for all those who think this is just fine would you be upset if fox went after some random Reddit poster.  

Unethical, ridiculous and petty......   pretty much sums up CNN.

This writer also did the same when he was at buzzfeed

Lucy, you appear to be confused.  "Unethical, ridiculous and petty" , you just described Trump to a "T".

Fox news = fake news
(07-05-2017, 01:40 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Major media with unending resources  threatening someone's livelihood over an anonymous internet post on Reddit does not mean that they deserve to potentially lose their job.    This same reporter did the same to Justine Sacco when he was at buzzfeed.  

Perfect example is there was once a poster here who mentioned they wanted to have sex with another poster's child.    Does that mean his anonymous post on a message board should affect his job status? ......   No it should not ....

Lucy your right about this. Trump said he would have sex with his own daughter and he still became president. It didn't effect him getting his job.
(07-05-2017, 07:09 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I didn't ask for my amusement, I asked a general question.  If it's no big deal to stand by what you post then why don't you, or anyone else, actually do it?  We all know the real answer to that question.  Pretending that possessing a degree of anonymity on the internet isn't preferable is rather disingenuous.

The people who ran in to Chris Hansen on to catch a predator preferred anonymity as well. 

Im not pretending anything. I used to talk politics and religion on FB. Aside from the high school like drama queen stuff people getting butthurt and friendships strained was the other reason i gave up on it.

A reporter reporting something that makes someone look bad is not new. 

Funny this is the top story on Faux. Andd CNN didnt even say the guys name. But the president routinely uses names and attacks people.

Trumpets preach suck it up snowflake and love their hidden camera got ya tapes... But omg!!!! you might say a name of someone who didnt want to be named... Worst thing ever
I believe *this* falls under actual blackmail?

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2017/07/05/daily-stormer-troll-army-threatens-cnn-staffers-over-reddit-user-behind-trumpcnn-gif

Quote:Andrew Auernheimer, the notorious hacker and Internet troll known as ‘Weev,’ rallied the neo-Nazi Daily Stormer’s troll army for its latest campaign this morning, claiming that CNN was blackmailing a “teen shitposter.”

The events leading to this online call to arms began Sunday morning, when President Trump tweeted a gif created by Reddit user HanAssholeSolo depicting a scene from Wrestlemania XXIII in which Trump body slams and pummels WWE promoter Vince McMahon. In the gif, the CNN logo is superimposed over McMahon’s face.

Auernheimer heralded the tweet as “easily the greatest tweet in the history of Twitter.”

After scouring HanAssholeSolo's Reddit account, which contained scores of racist and xenophobic postings, CNN’s KFile was able to track down the user’s Facebook page and contact him.

Fearing public embarrassment and his safety, HanAssholeSolo published a lengthy apology on the Reddit group r/theDonald, asking that CNN not publish his identity. (The apology has since been removed.)

[Image: jackposobiec_tweet.png][Image: jackposobiec_tweet.png]
Alt-righter Jack Posobiec claims HanAssholeSolo is a 15 year-old LGBT person; however, CNN has identified the Reddit user as an adult male. (via Twitter)

CNN obliged, on the condition that HanAssholeSolo remove his offending posts and cease his trolling, but that didn’t stop the self-proclaimed “real media” at the Daily Stormer from issuing an ultimatum to every staffer at CNN.

“Just like CNN tracked down this child and used media exposure as a bludgeon against him for posting (truthful and funny) things that they don’t like, we are going to begin tracking down their families as a bludgeon against them for publishing (seditiously fraudulent) things that we don’t like,” wrote Auernheimer. “CNN, this is your one singular chance to walk back this behavior of public blackmail. You have one week to fix this.”

Auernheimer’s list of demands includes the public firing of the KFile team, a denouncement of their alleged threats, a $50,000 college scholarship for HanAssholeSolo, and a public assurance that “he and his family will never be harmed by your organization.”

The only problem: HanAssholeSolo is an adult, according to CNN. 

[Image: kfile_tweet.png][Image: kfile_tweet.png]
Andrew Kaczynski, senor editor of CNN's KFile, Tweets that HanAssholeSolo is an adult, not a teenager, as some have claimed. (via Twitter)
“We are going to track down your parents. We are going to track down your siblings. We are going to track down your spouses. We are going to track down your children. Because hey, that’s what you guys get to do, right? We’re going to see how you like it when our reporters are hunting down your children,” continued Auernheimer.

Auernheimer instructed CNN employees that do not want to be doxed to quit within the week and denounce the organization’s alleged blackmail.

“We didn’t make these rules – you did – and now we’re going to force you to play by them. Hope you enjoy what is coming, you filthy rat kike bastards. Kill yourselves, kike news fakers. You deserve every single bit of what you are about to get,” concluded Auernheimer.

[Image: 4chan_operationautism.jpg]
The call to "kill the lying mass of shit that is CNN" posted to 4chan's politically incorrect forum, /pol/.
Within hours, personal information for multiple CNN staffers and their family members -- alongside images and gifs of individuals with CNN superimposed over their faces being shot in the head -- appeared in the comments of the posting.

The incident is a rare moment of unity for the far-right with members of r/theDonald, 4chan, the Daily Stormer, and the alt-lite banding together to attack CNN.

The 4chan message board /pol/, which is dedicated to politically incorrect discussion, dubbed the campaign “Operation:Autism Storm” and posted a four part plan of attack that includes banding together with other far right sites, going after CNN’s advertisers, discrediting everyone at CNN, and forming a legal strategy for HanAssholeSolo should he later be doxed.

At least nine separate hashtags trended across far-right accounts Tuesday evening – including #cnnblackmail, #cnndoxing, and #fraudnewscnn – as the controversy erupted.

“To people who troll on the Internet for fun,” wrote HanAssholeSolo. “Consider your words and actions conveyed in your message and who it might upset or anger. Put yourself in their shoes before you post it. If you have a problem with trolling it is an addiction just like any other addiction someone can have to something and don’t be embarrassed to ask for help.”

The Daily Stormer’s veteran troll army hasn’t heeded his advice.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Those 4chan trolls are not anyone I would want on my tail. CNN employees are in for onslaughts.
(07-05-2017, 06:46 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: While I understand the point you three are trying to make let me put it in personal terms.  Please post your full legal name and residential address right now in this thread.  If you stand by everything you've posted here that shouldn't be a problem right?

You are talking to the same group of people who chased a board member down on social media and got him banned.
(07-05-2017, 08:32 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Those 4chan trolls are not anyone I would want on my tail.  CNN employees are in for onslaughts.

Well, good to know you are standing so strongly against them then?  Mellow
(07-05-2017, 08:34 PM)GMDino Wrote: Well, good to know you are standing so strongly against them then?  Mellow

That reporter is a scumbag. What he did to Justine Sacco was bush league. Threatened this poor bastard to do the same.
(07-05-2017, 08:37 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: That reporter is a scumbag.   What he did to Justine Sacco was bush league.   Threatened this poor bastard to do the same.

So, to be clear, you are okay with threats of violence against the reporter, his family AND others at CNN if certain demands are not met by this group.  Because CNN did NOT release the name of a man who posted vile, racist things on the internet.

Excellent.  Cool
(07-05-2017, 08:39 PM)GMDino Wrote: So, to be clear, you are okay with threats of violence against the reporter, his family AND others at CNN if certain demands are not met by this group.  Because CNN did NOT release the name of a man who posted vile, racist things on the internet.

Excellent.  Cool

That reporter deserves all the grief he gets..... he is an A1 scumbag.

Ofc it goes without saying nonviolent grief.
(07-05-2017, 08:42 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: That reporter deserves all the grief he gets..... he is an A1 scumbag.    

Ofc it goes without saying nonviolent grief.

But the poster does not. That's an interesting take.