Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Callahan to Titans
(01-26-2024, 01:31 PM)jj22 Wrote: Why Sooner?

He doesn’t have a burning desire at this point to be an OC. Probably a lot of fun coaching WR and being a part of this offense and Burrow. Plus he coached with Zac all the way back at TAMU. Sounds like they are pretty tight.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2024, 12:05 PM)Nepa Wrote: ESPN mentioned their names as possible for the OC position under Callahan:

"The Titans haven't hired an offensive coordinator and have yet to submit requests to speak with any Bengals assistants. Two viable candidates include wide receivers coach Troy Walters and assistant QB coach Brad Kragthorpe."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39387424/new-titans-coach-brian-callahan-says-call-plays

The Tennessean also lists James Bettcher (Bengals LB coach) as a possible candidate for Callahan's staff.

Coaching in this organization with the Browns, Tobin, and especially Zac is secure as well as Cincinnati the city. The Tri-State may be large but it’s more like pockets than a dense area. It has to be similar to Dallas. It’s not a metropolis. So it’s a great place to raise a family. Bettcher has to know like Pitcher he’s Lou’s likely replacement. I don’t see him leaving but I have no inside info.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2024, 01:16 PM)jj22 Wrote: 31 year old Brad Kragthorpe who has never been anything but an assistant to the assistant coach with the Bengals...... it's questionable as to why we would even promote him to QBC.

Not sure where all this love for him is coming from.

So you are dinging him because he has put in the time learning the coaching ropes first?  Almost everyone starts off as an assistant first.  Brad has been showing Zac and the lead coaches as well as his players what he can do since day 1.  I'll trust them if they believe he is ready for the next step.

Zac has been very high on him in his public statements and every indication from him is that Brad will be the next QB coach.  

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2024, 03:04 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
This was really insightful.

Zac said they run those screens early to see what the defense was doing, and dumbasses on here blasted him for it, lol. Now that we know why, and that Joe's in on it too, I wonder if positions will change. This video and information could use its own thread, honestly.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2024, 03:23 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Zac said they run those screens early to see what the defense was doing, and dumbasses on here blasted him for it, lol. Now that we know why, and that Joe's in on it too, I wonder if positions will change. This video and information could use its own thread, honestly.

Until Zac wins a Super Bowl many manic depressive fans won’t accept him. It’s that simple. Nevermind he’s 6-3 vs Bills,KC, and SF. Never mind that they went 4-3 w/o Joe and for the entire season were 11th in touchdowns per drive. They know more.

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2024, 03:23 AM)Wyche Wrote: Zac said they run those screens early to see what the defense was doing, and dumbasses on here blasted him for it, lol. Now that we know why, and that Joe's in on it too, I wonder if positions will change. This video and information could use its own thread, honestly.

The RPO and screens are new for 2023. In 2021 and 2022 Bengals used the least amount of Playaction, RPOs, and Screens in the NFL.

The major thing this offense needs blasted for is zero rushing identity. In '19, '20, '21, and '22 the offense started out as a Wide Zone Strerch team and outside of '20 they had to stop and go to a gun run with duo, traps, and inside zone. In '23 they started out with the Gun Run scheme with heavy A and B gap runs which marries better with the spread rpo passing offense but it was very limited only attacking the edges of a defense with success on rare occasions adding in thr RPO quick screens to the receiver to make up for the lack of run game. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2024, 11:02 AM)Synric Wrote: The RPO and screens are new for 2023. In 2021 and 2022 Bengals used the least amount of Playaction, RPOs, and Screens in the NFL.

The major thing this offense needs blasted for is zero rushing identity. In '19, '20, '21, and '22 the offense started out as a Wide Zone Strerch team and outside of '20 they had to stop and go to a gun run with duo, traps, and inside zone. In '23 they started out with the Gun Run scheme with heavy A and B gap runs which marries better with the spread rpo passing offense but it was very limited only attacking the edges of a defense with success on rare occasions adding in thr RPO quick screens to the receiver to make up for the lack of run game. 

Couldn't agree more with all of that. I was remembering a thread discussing the screens, and an article or Twitter link, etc quoted Zac as saying they run a lot of screens early in the game to see what the defense was showing them. Then the haters all chimed in with stuff "are you not watching film of your opponent?", "you not scouting your opponent?", "you don't already know what the defense is doing?" and so forth. Now we know why they didn't know, and my assumption is they ran them because it was a little safer than going deep/intermediate not knowing what they're trying to do to you. I think it also shows just how damn smart QB9 is.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2024, 12:14 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Couldn't agree more with all of that. I was remembering a thread discussing the screens, and an article or Twitter link, etc quoted Zac as saying they run a lot of screens early in the game to see what the defense was showing them. Then the haters all chimed in with stuff "are you not watching film of your opponent?", "you not scouting your opponent?", "you don't already know what the defense is doing?" and so forth. Now we know why they didn't know, and my assumption is they ran them because it was a little safer than going deep/intermediate not knowing what they're trying to do to you. I think it also shows just how damn smart QB9 is.

And the screens too many on here relate to only big plays. They are an alternative to a crap run game. With Chase and his lower body strength and safeties deep it’s a big play waiting to happen.

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2024, 10:47 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Until Zac wins a Super Bowl many manic depressive fans won’t accept him. It’s that simple. Nevermind he’s 6-3 vs Bills,KC, and SF. Never mind that they went 4-3 w/o Joe and for the entire season were 11th in touchdowns per drive. They know more.

4-3, across the year, still misses the AFC playoffs. And don't nevermind 1-5 against the AFC North with the win against the Browns back-ups. That 4-3 with wins only coming against those back-ups and teams that also did not make the playoffs. 

The screens to show what the defense was doing. Ok, and what did we do with that? The answer is: not enough. And then why were we still running these plays in the 4th quarter? Play calls have been poor. If it is Taylor, Burrow or Callahan, someone needed to do better. Winning only in the middle of the season means nothing in January. 
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2024, 12:43 PM)Destro Wrote: 4-3, across the year, still misses the AFC playoffs. And don't nevermind 1-5 against the AFC North with the win against the Browns back-ups. That 4-3 with wins only coming against those back-ups and teams that also did not make the playoffs. 

The screens to show what the defense was doing. Ok, and what did we do with that? The answer is: not enough. And then why were we still running these plays in the 4th quarter? Play calls have been poor. If it is Taylor, Burrow or Callahan, someone needed to do better. Winning only in the middle of the season means nothing in January. 

You can’t use the “we only beat backups” excuse when literally only 2 out of the 7 games came against starters and one of those starters was eventually benched for a backup, meanwhile we also had a backup who hadn’t had more than 5 snaps in a regular season game in his career.

Managing a winning season with a rarely healthy burrow and arguably the worst defense in the NFL, might be one of Taylor/Callahans best years and honestly probably the biggest reason Callahan got hired this year as opposed to the past two years
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2024, 12:43 PM)Destro Wrote: 4-3, across the year, still misses the AFC playoffs. And don't nevermind 1-5 against the AFC North with the win against the Browns back-ups. That 4-3 with wins only coming against those back-ups and teams that also did not make the playoffs. 

They’ve shown when burrow is healthy that they get hot at the right time and win in january. So that last sentence of yours is puzzling.

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2024, 01:04 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: You can’t use the “we only beat backups” excuse when literally only 2 out of the 7 games came against starters and one of those starters was eventually benched for a backup, meanwhile we also had a backup who hadn’t had more than 5 snaps in a regular season game in his career.

Managing a winning season with a rarely healthy burrow and arguably the worst defense in the NFL, might be one of Taylor/Callahans best years and honestly probably the biggest reason Callahan got hired this year as opposed to the past two years

"Backups" was the Browns game. Got to read what was wrote. And this team has been built in the image over these years. Groups been weak or got weak. Burrow and Chase Came as Champions. Steelers got it with their #3. Browns won with back-ups including the reanimated corpse of Joe Flacco. 
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2024, 01:09 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: They’ve shown when burrow is healthy that they get hot at the right time and win in january. So that last sentence of yours is puzzling.

You have that caveat, though. No Burrow, no go. Right time, right QB, right time of year. If you start poorly (we did ) and don't end good enough ( we didn't ), those wins in the middle of the season don't mean as much. Still no playoffs because we lost too many and the beginning of the year and lost games we NEEDED to win to get into the playoffs at the end of the year. Just math. 
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2024, 01:21 PM)Destro Wrote: You have that caveat, though. No Burrow, no go. Right time, right QB, right time of year. If you start poorly (we did ) and don't end good enough ( we didn't ), those wins in the middle of the season don't mean as much. Still no playoffs because we lost too many and the beginning of the year and lost games we NEEDED to win to get into the playoffs at the end of the year. Just math. 

Going deep in the playoffs with a back up is rare. Are we really even having this conversation? Of course teams need their starting qb healthy if they want a deep playoff run lol

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2024, 01:27 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Going deep in the playoffs with a back up is rare. Are we really even having this conversation? Of course teams need their starting qb healthy if they want a deep playoff run lol

Never said anything about going deep in the playoffs. Joe getting hurt twice this year sucked. Didn't expect much with that, and I didn't see much. Browning did better than expected but saw the same issues he had, but guess that is why he is a back up. Claiming how good everything was even with Burrow out is just not backed up by reality. 
Reply/Quote

11th in touchdowns per drive according ESPN stats and info with Joe only fully healthy 5 games greets you with a big hello McFly

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2024, 01:04 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: You can’t use the “we only beat backups” excuse when literally only 2 out of the 7 games came against starters and one of those starters was eventually benched for a backup, meanwhile we also had a backup who hadn’t had more than 5 snaps in a regular season game in his career.

Help Destro out please

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2024, 01:44 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: 11th in touchdowns per drive according ESPN stats and info with Joe only fully healthy 5 games greets you with a big hello McFly

Pick a "good" stat out of 86 different metrics and tout it 5 times a day.

Wins and losses, I prefer. 
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2024, 01:27 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Going deep in the playoffs with a back up is rare. Are we really even having this conversation? Of course teams need their starting qb healthy if they want a deep playoff run lol

Really it is puzzling. The Bengals are 17-7 in December and January the last 3 years. It’s like saying Bill Belichick carried Tom Brady.

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2024, 01:50 PM)Destro Wrote: Pick a "good" stat out of 86 different metrics and tout it 5 times a day.

Wins and losses, I prefer. 

How about only Bills and KC have better points per play in ‘21-‘22. Face it you don’t like any stats that questions your mantra

Reply/Quote