Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Auden Tate make the Bengals roster?
(07-04-2018, 10:05 AM)Nately120 Wrote: It's possible it could work out, but it's also an off-season tradition for us to wonder how we are possibly going to fit all of our amazing pass catchers on the field at the same time.  Time will tell.
Ayup, not to mention a history of keeping the wrong "amazing" pass catchers, but maybe that'll change now that Urban's gone. I'd like to see Tate make it, but I'm not holding my breath. Been disappointed too much, and I'm still (STILL) salty.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Core hasn't shown much and I really don't expect he'll suddenly start other than that of a gunner.. Tate is interesting,  but it has to show up in practice and on game days. I feel more comfortable with Malone than Core.. Heck, who knows..perhaps one of the unknown UDRs will pop up, but I'm not holding my breath on them. 
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2018, 01:16 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: On the bright side, he will have some good coaching to give him the edge. He's young and could learn things fast. If he already has great hands and good separation? I don't see how he misses the cut.

Red zone is such a key spot that I could see him bumping Erickson, Core, or even Lafell.  I forget who said it, but releasing Lafell would free up 4 million toward signing Geno or Carlos.  I know they will do right by Lafell so it would probably be early if they did it.  Should be a fun preseason to watch.  
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2018, 04:12 PM)HuDey Wrote: Firstly, agree on Tate, and would part with one of Core, LaFell, or Erickson to give him a shot.

Secondly, did you say Wilson Phillips ?

[Image: rs-183166-159763487.jpg]

One of the meanest, but funniest SNL skits ever was Chris Farley singing as the one in the middle (before her gastric bypass surgery).  
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2018, 08:15 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Red zone is such a key spot that I could see him bumping Erickson, Core, or even Lafell.  I forget who said it, but releasing Lafell would free up 4 million toward signing Geno or Carlos.  I know they will do right by Lafell so it would probably be early if they did it.  Should be a fun preseason to watch.  

A ton of people (including myself) had pointed that out over the course of the past six months. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening until end of preseason because none of the other WRs have shown enough to warrant LaFell off the roster yet.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2018, 01:10 PM)Synric Wrote: Auden Tate reminds me of a guy that went in the second round in 2015 Devin Funchess. Tate will be a match up nightmare for defenses you can move him inside in the slot, outside at either x or flanker, and out of the backfield as an h-back.

I think this is a very good comparison. Both 6'5" in the 225-230lb range. Both also about the same in terms of speed. Both big-bodied guys who can be red zone threats but not going to do a ton of damage between the 20s unless they have some other, faster receivers who can help open up some room underneath for them. I'd think if Tate developed properly, he could be in that 350-500 yard and 5-7 TD range on a yearly basis.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-06-2018, 12:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: A ton of people (including myself) had pointed that out over the course of the past six months. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening until end of preseason because none of the other WRs have shown enough to warrant LaFell off the roster yet.

This.

I'd be happy to see the young guys look so good that we can release LaFell, but Brandon is not as bad as a lot of people here claim.  We will keep him until we get a good long look at all the contenders.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2018, 12:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: A ton of people (including myself) had pointed that out over the course of the past six months. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening until end of preseason because none of the other WRs have shown enough to warrant LaFell off the roster yet.

What's scary is that as mediocre as LaFell was last year with 52 catches for 548 yards and 3 TD's, Boyd, Core, Erickson, and Malone combined for 40 catches for 468 yards and 4 TD's.  I really don't see any way LaFell isn't one of the top 4 at the end of camp.

Sadly, we may need to be looking at the waiver wire for WR help.  Flashes and the yearly minicamp "Scrub WR #10 looks like the second coming of Jerry Rice in shorts"fluff pieces are great and all, but at some point these guys have to prove that you can step up and be reliable when your number is called.  If Ross isn't as advertised, we could be in real trouble.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2018, 04:58 PM)Whatever Wrote: What's scary is that as mediocre as LaFell was last year with 52 catches for 548 yards and 3 TD's, Boyd, Core, Erickson, and Malone combined for 40 catches for 468 yards and 4 TD's.  I really don't see any way LaFell isn't one of the top 4 at the end of camp.

Sadly, we may need to be looking at the waiver wire for WR help.  Flashes and the yearly minicamp "Scrub WR #10 looks like the second coming of Jerry Rice in shorts"fluff pieces are great and all, but at some point these guys have to prove that you can step up and be reliable when your number is called.  If Ross isn't as advertised, we could be in real trouble.

Yep, although Boyd did have over 600 yards his rookie year so I think he could contribute around the same as LaFell. But you need more than just Green and Boyd so you have to keep LaFell until Ross, Malone, Core, Erickson, and/or Tate can actually show they can be productive. For any of them to show that, I’d like to see a 400+ yard season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
His name is Tate of course he makes team and will keep roster spot long after he is deserving to do so. Ninja

Seriously though sounds like he has a great chance with the other WR's raving about him.

Green, Boyd, Ross, Malone, Tate, and Erickson per being best returner.

Yet you can most likely substitute LaFell for either Malone and Tate.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2018, 02:50 PM)BengalD Wrote: If the dude got bigger and stronger could he play TE?

That would be sweet but do not see that happening overnight. 

Yet could be a back up plan. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Just stumbled across this on YouTube. Daniel Jeremiah in February calling Tate the 5th best WR in the draft and compared him to Devin Funchess.

https://youtu.be/O9CdACn-u18
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2018, 04:58 PM)Whatever Wrote: What's scary is that as mediocre as LaFell was last year with 52 catches for 548 yards and 3 TD's, Boyd, Core, Erickson, and Malone combined for 40 catches for 468 yards and 4 TD's.  I really don't see any way LaFell isn't one of the top 4 at the end of camp.

(07-08-2018, 09:48 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Yep, although Boyd did have over 600 yards his rookie year so I think he could contribute around the same as LaFell. But you need more than just Green and Boyd so you have to keep LaFell until Ross, Malone, Core, Erickson, and/or Tate can actually show they can be productive. For any of them to show that, I’d like to see a 400+ yard season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is being lost here is we have a new WR coach in Bicknell and everyone is raving about just how much faster our
WR's look this year. Namely Ross who is running like 23 MPH and burning William Jackson III. We are not just going to
find some WR off the wire that will compete here, don't see that happening at all.

Ross, Malone and Auden Tate are all extremely talented. Sooner or later atleast one of them will show up and roll good
old Lafell down the roster chain.

Boyd had his off the field problem last year and that is a big reason he wasn't productive.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2018, 12:18 PM)Go Cards Wrote: His name is Tate of course he makes team and will keep roster spot long after he is deserving to do so.  Ninja

Seriously though sounds like he has a great chance with the other WR's raving about him.

Green, Boyd, Ross, Malone, Tate, and Erickson per being best returner.

Yet you can most likely substitute LaFell for either Malone and Tate.

Erickson can be replaced in the return game very easily by Phillips Wilson or Harris. 
Erickson hasnt done anything to warrant being a starter on special teams. 
he needs perfect blocking in order to break off a long return 
Reply/Quote

I hear ya, man.  Our "up and comers" in the WR stable have shown little to get excited about, thus far.  Sure, reasons why can be rationalized all day long, but at the end of the day, production is what counts the most.  

Having said that, I think that Tate has as good a chance at bumping one of the incumbents from the roster as Andy has at being the starting QB.  I would consider all of those 3rd year guys to be on a really hot seat, right now.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Another thing to consider is some of the potential KR/PR players we drafted the last two years are defensive players like Wilson, Phillips and a couple others. This could help Tate since we traditionaly seem to keep a WR just for that reason.

On a side note, I just noticed I wrote (Wilson Phillips)now that damn song is stuck in my head. Maybe it's a sign that things will go our way, or we may just have to hold on for one more day...blah
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2018, 05:40 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Erickson hasnt done anything to warrant being a starter on special teams. 

I am not  huge Erickson fanboy, but he did finish 2nd in the league in KR average in '16.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2018, 07:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not  huge Erickson fanboy, but he did finish 2nd in the league in KR average in '16.

Yeah, thought he would of just continued to get better, but he didn't last year. Weird.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2018, 07:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, thought he would of just continued to get better, but he didn't last year. Weird.

Not weird when you consider his blocking last year sucked....
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2018, 07:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, thought he would of just continued to get better, but he didn't last year. Weird.

Perhaps it was just me but he seemed all to happy to run out of bounds last year.

I could definitely see Erickson and/or Core end up on the outside looking in ! 
Reply/Quote