Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Can we come together as Bengals fans for a while?
(01-06-2020, 01:08 AM)samhain Wrote: As long as people who start shit don't cry when they get it back, I have no problem with the conflict that happens here. Football isn't life and death, so arguments here are over fairly frivolous material. P&R is a different story, but I don't feel like that's what this thread entails. I've seen other sports forums, and this one is pretty civil even in the worst of seasons.

A lot of us have been around each other (figuratively speaking) for a pretty long time. More than a decade in a lot of cases. We all know the each other's online personalities, and in some cases are even acquainted IRL. I don't view any of what goes on here between board members as personal.

Honestly, I think it would be awesome if we could all meet up at some point. Maybe hit up a place in Cincy to watch an away game or even a tailgate before a home game. We've had enough discussions and arguments over the last 10 years. We might as well actually meet at some point. It always bugs me that I never met Wildcats, despite private conversations I had with him here. I'd like to meet others on here as well.

At this rate, we'll be talking about this team online until we're all gone (or the Bengals are). It would be interesting to actually have faces to put with names at some point. It would likely do a lot for "civility" here.

Exactly... I think the vast majority of us would get along very well in person. The internet has a way of isolating people, and sorta dehumanizing others to them. Maybe I didn't say that right, but what I'm getting at is that some of the shit we throw at each other on here wouldn't happen face to face.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 01:23 AM)jason Wrote: Exactly... I think the vast majority of us would get along very well in person. The internet has a way of isolating people, and sorta dehumanizing others to them. Maybe I didn't say that right, but what I'm getting at is that some of the shit we throw at each other on here wouldn't happen face to face.

Yeah it's weird.  IRL, Bengal fans are fairly scarce even in Central KY.  I know lots of Steeler and Cowboy fans.  I know like 6 Pats fans at work, though I suspect that number will soon be smaller.  Bengal fans are an endangered species even in places where they should thrive.

If I meet a Bengal fan IRL, I will tolerate a lot of shit from them for that reason alone out of mutual respect.  I appreciate them not selling out and jumping ship through all this team does.  However, here, in a place jam packed with the most hardcore Bengal fans on the planet, we get after each other over the most minute detail every day.  Funny how that works.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 01:32 AM)samhain Wrote: Yeah it's weird.  IRL, Bengal fans are fairly scarce even in Central KY.  I know lots of Steeler and Cowboy fans.  I know like 6 Pats fans at work, though I suspect that number will soon be smaller.  Bengal fans are an endangered species even in places where they should thrive.

If I meet a Bengal fan IRL, I will tolerate a lot of shit from them for that reason alone out of mutual respect.  I appreciate them not selling out and jumping ship through all this team does.  However, here, in a place jam packed with the most hardcore Bengal fans on the planet, we get after each other over the most minute detail every day.  Funny how that works.

Yep... I'm in Dayton, Ohio, and it was sorta eye opening to me to realize last year that this is a Browns town. Three and a half hours away from Cleveland, and in the middle of the old black out zone, and we're a minority here.

A lot of the things that make us salty with each other on here would pass right by in real life though. STFU with a smile on your face looks a lot different than reading STFU directed at you from somebody on the internet.

Again; I don't take any of it personal, and nobody should take anything I post personal unless it's a compliment.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
It was a lot more toxic on the old boards, IMO. That said, it's hard to keep it clean when everyone is ticked after a 2-14 season. I think people are doing ok though, considering the circumstances.

For some positivity though, I'm more excited about Burrow than I have been about a Bengals draft pick since Carson. Maybe more so. I'm also hoping we make some big changes to the roster. Mixon, Boyd and Dunlap had fine seasons. Hubbard has developed into a stud and had 5.5 sacks in his last 5 games. 14.5 sacks overall in 2 seasons. Great stuff.

We also saw some decent football during our dead cat bounce. Defense flashed. Mixon had some monster games behind improved blocking. Sign another solid o-lineman and fix our LB's and we could be in good shape.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 11:27 PM)RASCAL Wrote: who has had fun ..........on this board............this year.................with this team??????

I have for the most part.  I come here to enjoy discussing the team good or bad with fellow fans. Then again I'm not a super passionate fan. Some people are and that's cool too.  I have popped off on people here from time to time which is something I usually try to avoid but I am guilty of slipping up.  Just like any social situation when you get a group of people together there are often going to be some people you don't care for, for one reason or the other.  For the most part I simply try to ignore them.  If a thread gets into a pissing match I usually just stop reading that thread as it does tend to annoy me.  That's slightly unfortunate as sometimes I'd like to see what others have to say on the topic but I've found it best just to move on to other threads instead of wading through the posts that limit my enjoyment of the forum.

I don't come here to get mad or be mad at others. If I want to be pissed off there are plenty of things out there in the real world that can accomplish that. Big Grin
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
I find myself going through stints on these forums because of this exact thing. I grow more angry and bitter the longer I spend talking on here because people are so stuck in a singular point of view. There is an en excuse for everything they support and stubbornness in everything they don't. This entire goes against my idea of community discussion and goes into a weird cult-like obsession of dieing on your sword of predetermined opinions. I don't need to hear that we can't draft a good QB because Mike Brown sucks, if you're taking that approach just leave and return after he dies.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Put 3 people on ignore and it's a very different place for me.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Draft chase young
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 11:00 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: But he did not throw an insult in with his post you did. 

Trust me Sled AND I disagree a lot all I got to do is talk about the Bengals butchers AKA Bengals doctors to get him bouncing off the walls.

Wow, this is getting out of hand.  What one person considers and insult may to another person be an opinion.  Oh where to draw the line?

I think the OP was just trying to point out that we're all here because we love the Bengals (trolls notwithstanding) so let's just try to be cognizant of what we're posting and how it may impact others.  I'm as guilty as anyone and need to take note and be respectful.  After all I come here for great information about my team that I can't get anywhere else.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 01:18 AM)jason Wrote: I seem to remember one evening when you were on fire, and seemed to be having a good time yourself. If you weren't, then I was. I'm too lazy to go find it, but you were on a roll. Burfict may have been the topic, but don't hold me to it.

But anyway... I enjoy damn near all of you on this board. I don't take anything posted or said on here all that seriously, and I never take it personal. It's a good escape from everyday real life bullshit. Most of us would probably get along well in real life, and I know for a fact that a handful of you are really good people via PM, and personal exchanges.

Happy New Year to all of ya... Kumbaya and all that shit, and hopefully our boys get their act together and make this place a lil less pissy this coming season.

I am just saying that I am just as insane as anyone else on this board. EXCEPT THE DOG!!!

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 11:38 AM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I have for the most part.  I come here to enjoy discussing the team good or bad with fellow fans. Then again I'm not a super passionate fan. Some people are and  that's cool too.  I have popped off on people here from time to time which is something I usually try to avoid but I am guilty of slipping up.  Just like any social situation when you get a group of people together there are often going to be some people you don't care for, for one reason or the other.  For the most part I simply try to ignore them.  If a thread gets into a pissing match I usually just stop reading that thread as it does tend to annoy me.  That's slightly unfortunate as sometimes I'd like to see what others have to say on the topic but I've found it best just to move on to other threads instead of wading through the posts that limit my enjoyment of the forum.

I don't come here to get mad or be mad at others.  If I want to be pissed off there are plenty of things out there in the real world that can accomplish that.  Big Grin

isn't that the truth!!!

Reply/Quote
I think the folks who post on this board are the best thing ( almost the only remaining thing) about being a Bengals fan.

95% of the posters are always respectful of others and have a good sense of humor.

A very few are often condescending which says more about them than the poster they decide to criticize.

I am grateful for everyone on the board and the mods in particular who do a great job keeping this going.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 04:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Given our size? We have like 2 million + people in our metro area. We’re plenty big enough for an NFL franchise.

Yes its a debatable proposition, a recent Nielsen TV market size ratings puts Cincinnati at #37 in media market size.  Other ways of looking at it.   Point is, you got an NFL franchise, there are other cities that would gladly take it off your hands.   As I understand Brown's deal with the county, he has many more years under the sweet deal he negotiated to stay at PBS so he's not going anywhere.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 03:51 PM)Joelist Wrote: Can we discuss them without taking shots at each other?

NO.  These are the forums and there are actually people who live and breathe football before ANYTHING ELSE in their lives.  

THAT will never change, although I do agree with you OP.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 04:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Given our size? We have like 2 million + people in our metro area. We’re plenty big enough for an NFL franchise.

Statistically, the Greater Cincy area is 29th largest in the US.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_statistical_areas

There are bigger metro areas than Cincinnati that do not have a NFL team, but there are also a few cities with smaller metro areas that do have a NFL team.

Cincinnati is ahead of:
Kansas City
Cleveland
Indianapolis
Milwaukee
Nashville
Jacksonville
Buffalo
New Orleans

Notable areas that do not have a NFL team but have 2+ million in metro area:
Portland
St. Louis
San Diego
Orlando
San Antonio
Austin
Sacramento
Columbus

So essentially, yes Cincinnati is big enough to house a NFL team but also there are enough metro areas that are larger where Cincinnati (and others) could move to that are bigger.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 03:51 PM)Joelist Wrote: I know we as Bengals fans get used to not having a lot to cheer about but to be honest this forum is starting to get a little toxic from the constant fighting and dour negativism going on.

The season is over - it is what it is and us getting into internet fights over it won't change it. Blame Andy, don't assign him any responsibility, blame Zac, don't blame him, whatever. We went 2-14 and obviously have areas where we need to improve.

Can we discuss them without taking shots at each other?

We have Free Agency coming up and then the draft, where we have the #1 pick in each round. Hopefully we come out of the draft with key contributors who get the team into contention again.

I have to agree. The folks on this board and Bengals fans in general are not the problem and we should never target one another.

The problem, and all problems this team has, are caused solely by the management of the team and no other group. It is those who make the decisions who are keeping a 2 win coach who regressed the entire team for most of the year. It is those who make the decisions who choose to largely ignore free agency, decide contract extensions or not and even draft picks and player discipline.

Focus your ire on Mike Brown and his committee of nimrods. Other fans are just as frustrated as you or I are.

EDIT: And, by the way, market size is just one of Mike Brown's excuses to fail, ignore it. Has nothing to do with it at all. Pittsburgh is a small market, so is New Orleans, Indi, Green Bay and they've all won Super Bowls. You gains fans and market share by winning!

Reply/Quote
I'm glad we finished the way we did. I'd rather that happen than be a perpetual mediocre fringe team year after year. I'm sick of false hope and I'm glad there wasn't any. Still, half the games were close and not too bad, so there is something there.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 07:06 PM)Interceptor Wrote: I'm glad we finished the way we did. I'd rather that happen than be a perpetual mediocre fringe team year after year. I'm sick of false hope and I'm glad there wasn't any. Still, half the games were close and not too bad, so there is something there.

so No false hope... But we letting it ride on the coaching staff,,
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 07:16 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: so No false hope... But we letting it ride on the coaching staff,,

I gave him a pass this first year. I didn't expect a miracle turnaround. I didn't expect much of anything. Now let's see if he has a say in personnel.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 01:23 PM)RASCAL Wrote: I am just saying that I am just as insane as anyone else on this board. EXCEPT THE DOG!!!

Awww.... You made my tail wag. If we ever meet i'm going to give you my pawtograph. It ain't worth shit, but it will get you a free petting at the shelter, and they might even let you piss on the floor.   Cool

Honestly though, it's been discussed on here a few times about a few us up meeting some place for a beer or a tailgate. It really would be fun and interesting. 

Reply/Quote