Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Can we come together as Bengals fans for a while?
(01-06-2020, 03:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Statistically, the Greater Cincy area is 29th largest in the US.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_statistical_areas

There are bigger metro areas than Cincinnati that do not have a NFL team, but there are also a few cities with smaller metro areas that do have a NFL team.

Cincinnati is ahead of:
Kansas City
Cleveland
Indianapolis
Milwaukee
Nashville
Jacksonville
Buffalo
New Orleans

Notable areas that do not have a NFL team but have 2+ million in metro area:
Portland
St. Louis
San Diego
Orlando
San Antonio
Austin
Sacramento
Columbus

So essentially, yes Cincinnati is big enough to house a NFL team but also there are enough metro areas that are larger where Cincinnati (and others) could move to that are bigger.

Don’t think they would give a shit about football in Portland. San Diego obviously doesn’t. Hell, California in general. Columbus would never, ever get an NFL team with the Buckeyes there. I don’t think any of those cities outside of maybe St. Louis are really good candidates for a team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 03:51 PM)Joelist Wrote: I know we as Bengals fans get used to not having a lot to cheer about but to be honest this forum is starting to get a little toxic from the constant fighting and dour negativism going on.

The season is over - it is what it is and us getting into internet fights over it won't change it. Blame Andy, don't assign him any responsibility, blame Zac, don't blame him, whatever. We went 2-14 and obviously have areas where we need to improve.

Can we discuss them without taking shots at each other?

We have Free Agency coming up and then the draft, where we have the #1 pick in each round. Hopefully we come out of the draft with key contributors who get the team into contention again.

Reps to that Joelist. People round here need to class it up some mang!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 08:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Don’t think they would give a shit about football in Portland. San Diego obviously doesn’t. Hell, California in general. Columbus would never, ever get an NFL team with the Buckeyes there. I don’t think any of those cities outside of maybe St. Louis are really good candidates for a team.

Cincinnati had the second-lowest attendance in the league, and it was the lowest in terms of percent capacity.
Cincinnati has actually had the second-worst for three years in a row now, and the highest they've been in 5 years has been 28th, which was the year they went 12-4 and undefeated at home in the regular season.
So I wouldn't necessarily say people care a ton about football around Cincinnati either.

When I went to Portland, I saw many Seahawks fans, so they do like football there.
Given I lived in Columbus for a decade, a majority of the fans are Browns fans. They avidly follow the Buckeyes on Saturdays and NFL on Sundays. The issue would be getting the population to root for a new team.
I think San Antonio (or Austin) would be able to draw in plenty of fans. It's further away from Houston and Dallas than the distance between, say Cincy to Indy, Cleveland to Pittsburgh, etc. Plus, Texans love them some football.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 11:01 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Cincinnati had the second-lowest attendance in the league, and it was the lowest in terms of percent capacity.
Cincinnati has actually had the second-worst for three years in a row now, and the highest they've been in 5 years has been 28th, which was the year they went 12-4 and undefeated at home in the regular season.
So I wouldn't necessarily say people care a ton about football around Cincinnati either.

When I went to Portland, I saw many Seahawks fans, so they do like football there.

Given I lived in Columbus for a decade, a majority of the fans are Browns fans. They avidly follow the Buckeyes on Saturdays and NFL on Sundays. The issue would be getting the population to root for a new team.
I think San Antonio (or Austin) would be able to draw in plenty of fans. It's further away from Houston and Dallas than the distance between, say Cincy to Indy, Cleveland to Pittsburgh, etc. Plus, Texans love them some football.

I will back up the bolded, went to Portland and later to the coast this summer and there were tons of Seahawks fans.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 08:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Don’t think they would give a shit about football in Portland. San Diego obviously doesn’t. Hell, California in general. Columbus would never, ever get an NFL team with the Buckeyes there. I don’t think any of those cities outside of maybe St. Louis are really good candidates for a team.

Dan Antonio did a good job of supporting the Saints for that season after Katrina. I think they'd be the leading candidate for a team that relocates.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 08:33 PM)jason Wrote: Dan Antonio did a good job of supporting the Saints for that season after Katrina. I think they'd be the leading candidate for a team that relocates.

I love it when typos form an actual word. It makes it so funny sometimes. "That was mighty noble of Dan. Hell of a guy." My chatroom nickname for years was "Types With Mittens" so I've been there.

Anyway, I'll also verify theOregonians interest in pointyball and futbol. I had Seahawks season tickets for over a dozen years and once or twice a year I would fly to Portland to stay with friends, drive up to watch the Bengals game at a sports bar near the Kingdome/Century Link Field, head to the Seahawks game afterwards and then head back to Portland. Plenty of Seahawks fans in Oregon. Saw lots of Matt Hasselbach, Shawn Alexander, Walter Jones, Lofa Tutupu(sp?) and Marcus Trufant jersies throughout our trips deeper into Oregon, plus the occasional Jim Zorn, Cortez Kennedy(RIP) and Steve Largent retros. 
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 08:33 PM)jason Wrote: Dan Antonio did a good job of supporting the Saints for that season after Katrina. I think they'd be the leading candidate for a team that relocates.

I think you mean Dan Halen.  He's always up to something.

[Image: th?id=OIP.q-Gz8KFaAjGf-JT0zMpIBgHaGe&pid...=210&h=184]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 11:01 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Cincinnati had the second-lowest attendance in the league, and it was the lowest in terms of percent capacity.

30 years of MB has basically killed all the care out of Cincinnati regarding the Bengals.

It's going to take a lot, a very lot, to get it back.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 09:55 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I love it when typos form an actual word. It makes it so funny sometimes. "That was mighty noble of Dan. Hell of a guy." My chatroom nickname for years was "Types With Mittens" so I've been there.

Anyway, I'll also verify theOregonians interest in pointyball and futbol. I had Seahawks season tickets for over a dozen years and once or twice a year I would fly to Portland to stay with friends, drive up to watch the Bengals game at a sports bar near the Kingdome/Century Link Field, head to the Seahawks game afterwards and then head back to Portland. Plenty of Seahawks fans in Oregon. Saw lots of Matt Hasselbach, Shawn Alexander, Walter Jones, Lofa Tutupu(sp?) and Marcus Trufant jersies throughout our trips deeper into Oregon, plus the occasional Jim Zorn, Cortez Kennedy(RIP) and Steve Largent retros. 

Portland is so close to Seattle they don't need a football team honestly.

Now Seattle could use those Supersonics back man!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 10:02 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: 30 years of MB has basically killed all the care out of Cincinnati regarding the Bengals.

Combination of MB, poor on field production an weak local economy all contribute to poor attendance. 
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 10:02 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: 30 years of MB has basically killed all the care out of Cincinnati regarding the Bengals.

I think Cincy's enthusiasm towards the team is a direct reflection of the enthusiasm of this face:

[Image: ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.totalprosports.com%2...f=1&nofb=1]

How could you get excited about a team run by a boring family that does boring things (no free agency, no big name coaches) with boring results?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Whats there to be excited about? Our team is owned and ran by the biggest clown in all of professional sports. Ive been a die hard fan since 87 and im about to be done. Theres no way in hell this team is serious about winning
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 09:59 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I think you mean Dan Halen.  He's always up to something.

[Image: th?id=OIP.q-Gz8KFaAjGf-JT0zMpIBgHaGe&pid...=210&h=184]

Dan Halen was really up to something when they came up with that Little Guitars song, but they've been slipping ever since.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 10:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Portland is so close to Seattle they don't need a football team honestly.

Hey, they’re getting an NHL team. Hockey > basketball anyway. Tongue

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 10:50 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Combination of MB, poor on field production an weak local economy all contribute to poor attendance. 

Idk about the weak local economy bit, but I do think in the day and age where everyone has an HD 60+ inch 4K tv it takes a lot to make people want to go to the games instead of watch them in their living rooms. 2-14 ain’t really cutting it...

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2020, 12:20 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think Cincy's enthusiasm towards the team is a direct reflection of the enthusiasm of this face:

How could you get excited about a team run by a boring family that does boring things (no free agency, no big name coaches) with boring results?

Yep

Take the end of the 2015 season. 

13 years of not getting it done, 0-7 ! What does MB do ? Gives us 3 more years of even worse. People are just tired no sick to death of his BS, I know I'm among them.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 10:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Portland is so close to Seattle they don't need a football team honestly.

By that logic, Seattle can root for the Blazers if they wanted a basketball team.

In regards to distance, Portland and Seattle are 3 hours apart, so it's actually further than Indy to Cincy.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2020, 12:20 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think Cincy's enthusiasm towards the team is a direct reflection of the enthusiasm of this face:

You said it right here Shake.

Straight up truth.

Mike Brown "It's not our job to make other teams better" in regards to trading deadline.

Yet he does NOTHING to make the team actually better when Free Agency comes.

Retain(if we're lucky), repeat, and sign stop gaps.

At this point we're lucky if there's a faint blip on the life support that is the Bengals.

Just let the money roll in and hope to stay afloat as far as the actual game of football.

It really makes it hard to invest interest or have feelings into something that the originator cares very little about.

You really want to hear John Lennon's songs but not sang by Yoko Ono.

Mike Brown really taints the love I have for the sport and the team I grew up watching.

He. Is. Terrible.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 12:06 PM)Okeana Wrote: I find myself going through stints on these forums because of this exact thing.  I grow more angry and bitter the longer I spend talking on here because people are so stuck in a singular point of view.  There is an en excuse for everything they support and stubbornness in everything they don't. This entire goes against my idea of community discussion and goes into a weird cult-like obsession of dieing on your sword of predetermined opinions.  I don't need to hear that we can't draft a good QB because Mike Brown sucks,  if you're taking that approach just leave and return after he dies.

Spot on. It's why I took a break from here this past season. I don't want to see 40 threads dealing with the same context. 
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 11:38 AM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I have for the most part.  I come here to enjoy discussing the team good or bad with fellow fans. Then again I'm not a super passionate fan. Some people are and  that's cool too.  I have popped off on people here from time to time which is something I usually try to avoid but I am guilty of slipping up.  Just like any social situation when you get a group of people together there are often going to be some people you don't care for, for one reason or the other.  For the most part I simply try to ignore them.  If a thread gets into a pissing match I usually just stop reading that thread as it does tend to annoy me.  That's slightly unfortunate as sometimes I'd like to see what others have to say on the topic but I've found it best just to move on to other threads instead of wading through the posts that limit my enjoyment of the forum.

I don't come here to get mad or be mad at others.  If I want to be pissed off there are plenty of things out there in the real world that can accomplish that.  Big Grin

Well said George! It's not life or death and in the big scheme of things matters very little.
Reply/Quote