Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cappa in a Scooter
(01-09-2023, 12:33 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Great. Fantastic. That doesn’t dispute my point. He got hurt against Cleveland and never regained his past skill.

He also would blame the other o-linemen on twitter.

This all doesn’t take away the fact that Spain’s 2021 regular season was much better than Volson’s 2022.

But keep bringing up how he’s not on a team currently. Like that matters to the discussion lol

Spain whiffing a block likely cost us a Super Bowl victory.  He sucks and will continue to suck for eternity, for that one move alone.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 12:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Spain whiffing a block likely cost us a Super Bowl victory.  He sucks and will continue to suck for eternity, for that one move alone.

Again, you aren’t disputing my point that Spain’s regular season was much better than Volson’s regular season

Please, keep changing the subject. Now I’m talking to 2 people who lack focus
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 11:44 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: So we are looking at starting lineup of:

Williams-Volson-Karras-Sharping-Adeniji

Is that much better than what we rolled with last year? I’m not sure. Adeniji is in his more natural position, but, is Sharping better than what we got from our Guards last year?

Whatever it is, it won't be what we had just a few weeks ago. It was such a delight seeing Burrow had a clean pocket and time to pick apart defenses. Yesterday, he had to be like Houdini. 
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 12:41 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Again, you aren’t disputing my point that Spain’s regular season was much better than Volson’s regular season

Please, keep changing the subject. Now I’m talking to 2 people who lack focus

Focus schmocus, Spain is a washed up has been who blew his one opportunity at greatness.  Volson, though still in his rookie season has developed into as good of player as Spain was after 9 years in the league.  Your unending defense of Spain is rather.. eerie.  You may be holding a candle for him, but just like his playing days, they're both flamed out.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 01:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Focus schmocus, Spain is a washed up has been who blew his one opportunity at greatness.  Volson, though still in his rookie season has developed into as good of player as Spain was after 9 years in the league.  Your unending defense of Spain is rather.. eerie.  You may be holding a candle for him, but just like his playing days, they're both flamed out.

Jesus Christ you are insufferable

I’m glad the bengals have a rookie who is actually playing well for a 4th round rookie. Very happy

The argument was 2021 Spain in the regular season vs Volson in the 2022 regular season. That’s all

And nice job quoting me and putting it as your sig? Wow you really showed me
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 04:06 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Nope. 

https://www.cleveland.com/bengals/2023/01/bengals-rg-alex-cappa-suffers-left-ankle-injury-long-term-status-uncertain.html

Money quote, from Ted Karras, "I've gotten plenty of reps with Max. He's been a three-year starter for Houston, starter since he came into the league. I'm going to miss Alex." 

I know a lot of people on here want Cappa to be OK, but he isn't. He is gonna miss next week, and probably the rest of the post-season. If we get that far, the SB is in 5 weeks. Maybe. Too early to say for sure. But do you leave a roster spot open for three games just in case he MIGHT be ready to play? We did for CJ last year, and he gave all he could, but it wasn't much. 

And you don't have players use the term "heartbreaking" to describe an injury if the dude is gonna be back in a few weeks. For crying out loud. 

Well, at the point I made that comment, no one had linked any articles and I just made a guess. For crying out loud.  Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Another year, another postseason having to use 1-2 of the backups for the OL.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 12:47 PM)Nepa Wrote: Whatever it is, it won't be what we had just a few weeks ago. It was such a delight seeing Burrow had a clean pocket and time to pick apart defenses. Yesterday, he had to be like Houdini. 

A lot of the Houdini stuff happened BEFORE Cappa got hurt. Baltimore brings pressure & blitzes. 
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 03:06 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: A lot of the Houdini stuff happened BEFORE Cappa got hurt. Baltimore brings pressure & blitzes. 

Good to hear. Whenever it happened, it was a rough day for the offensive line. Burrow might only have been sacked twice, but he was hit quite a number of times, and had to dodge right and left a number of times. And they couldn't open holes for the running game, save the one run that was called back for holding. It seems not long ago, Burrow was enjoying a nice pocket and plenty of time. It's so nice to watch a game like that. 
Reply/Quote
By the way that cleveland.com article is nothing but more "I heard this" stuff. Let's wait for the team itself to actually speak.

Also, Burrow on the whole had more than enough time by his own statement - he was just missing receivers (wide open ones too). If he is at his usual accuracy that game is a blowout with us hanging 40+ on them. Even the strip sack only happened courtesy of a blatant facemask right in front of the ref otherwise Burrow throws and likely completes for good yards.

The whole offense was off yesterday. So was Buffalo's. Hmmm.....
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 01:08 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Jesus Christ you are insufferable

I’m glad the bengals have a rookie who is actually playing well for a 4th round rookie. Very happy

The argument was 2021 Spain in the regular season vs Volson in the 2022 regular season. That’s all

And nice job quoting me and putting it as your sig? Wow you really showed me

Pretty wild, first time I have heard a poster call Sunset insufferable. He is right and you are wrong about Spain. Get over it already.

We aren't bringing Spain back and Volson is better anyways.
Reply/Quote
Zac said it will be tough for this week. He didn't know past that

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 04:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Pretty wild, first time I have heard a poster call Sunset insufferable. He is right and you are wrong about Spain. Get over it already.

We aren't bringing Spain back and Volson is better anyways.

can you people even read? I dont want spain back, he's 32. Im very thrilled we have a rookie who is playing well for a 4th round rookie. Compared to the rest of the league? He's mediocre. But that is fine. He's not bad. He's not a liability. His future is bright

Im still correct about Spain in 2021. You guys are emotional
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 05:05 PM)pally Wrote: Zac said it will be tough for this week.  He didn't know past that

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

At this point Im just glad he should be fully healthy for 2023. I thought for sure it was going to affect 2023 when it happened. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
As to the derailment:

In 2021 Quinton Spain earned a PFF rating of 72.3

In 2022 Cordel Volston earned a PFF rating of 51.6

Quinton Spain was better in 2021 than Cordel Volson was in 2022.

WTS, Cordel's play has eased the bust that is Jackson Carman, but if an interior Olineman such as Andrew Vorhees is available in the draft I'd have no problem with drafting an upgrade.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 01:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Focus schmocus, Spain is a washed up has been who blew his one opportunity at greatness.  Volson, though still in his rookie season has developed into as good of player as Spain was after 9 years in the league.  Your unending defense of Spain is rather.. eerie.  You may be holding a candle for him, but just like his playing days, they're both flamed out.

im not so much defending him as you and nate are ignoring my posts and saying Volson is better. In 2022? Yea, I agree Volson is better than Spain in 2022

this is what you're not grasping, you said Volson is having a better season than Spain had last year. Im just saying that is wrong. I dont know why this is so hard for you to understand.

Volson 2022 51.6 pff grade
Spain 2021 72.3 pff grade

this is literally all I am saying, and I am correcting anyone who says Volson this year was better than Spain last year. Im not talking post injury playoffs. Im talking weeks 1-18
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 05:14 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: At this point Im just glad he should be fully healthy for 2023. I thought for sure it was going to affect 2023 when it happened. 

Me too, sure looked like a knee injury from the camera shot.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Assuming Cappa doesn't play in the playoff game, we're likely looking at Scharping at RG and Adeniji at RT.
Adeniji has allowed 7 total pressures in just the past two games he's been a starter(!!)
Scharping has only played 30 offensive snaps this season so far.

Also, Volson has been somewhat up and down the past few games.
4 total pressures allowed against CLE and BAL each (8 total), but only 3 total in the games between those.

Not a great situation to be in going into the playoffs, unfortunately.

For those who are curious, we're looking at...
LT - Same player this year as last year
LG - Rookie who has allowed more total pressures in the regular season than Spain did the year prior (38 for Volson, 23 for Spain)
C - Improvement compared to last year (although Hopkins was extremely good in the postseason last year as a pass blocker)
RG - Hard to say if it's better than last year's situation, but I think it's better given Scharping's 2021 (only 2 sacks, 19 total pressures across 400 pass block snaps)
RT - Adeniji was a starter in the playoffs last year, but at RG instead of RT. Allowed 6 sacks, 14 total pressures across 4 games last postseason. Understandable to be nervous with him.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 05:36 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: im not so much defending him as you and nate are ignoring my posts and saying Volson is better. In 2022? Yea, I agree Volson is better than Spain in 2022

this is what you're not grasping, you said Volson is having a better season than Spain had last year. Im just saying that is wrong. I dont know why this is so hard for you to understand.

Volson 2022 51.6 pff grade
Spain 2021 72.3 pff grade

this is literally all I am saying, and I am correcting anyone who says Volson this year was better than Spain last year. Im not talking post injury playoffs. Im talking weeks 1-18

That's not an objective fact. That is your, and PFF's, subjective opinion. It's why I don't take what PFF says as bible. It's completely subjective.

The grass is green is an objective fact. 

Volson and Spain are both mediocre players. Neither is special. That is all I said. I never claimed one was better than the other. I don't really even care. It's not worth arguing. 
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 05:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Assuming Cappa doesn't play in the playoff game, we're likely looking at Scharping at RG and Adeniji at RT.
Adeniji has allowed 7 total pressures in just the past two games he's been a starter(!!)
Scharping has only played 30 offensive snaps this season so far.

Also, Volson has been somewhat up and down the past few games.
4 total pressures allowed against CLE and BAL each (8 total), but only 3 total in the games between those.

Not a great situation to be in going into the playoffs, unfortunately.

For those who are curious, we're looking at...
LT - Same player this year as last year
LG - Rookie who has allowed more total pressures in the regular season than Spain did the year prior (38 for Volson, 23 for Spain)
C - Improvement compared to last year (although Hopkins was extremely good in the postseason last year as a pass blocker)
RG - Hard to say if it's better than last year's situation, but I think it's better given Scharping's 2021 (only 2 sacks, 19 total pressures across 400 pass block snaps)
RT - Adeniji was a starter in the playoffs last year, but at RG instead of RT. Allowed 6 sacks, 14 total pressures across 4 games last postseason. Understandable to be nervous with him.

Not to mention the left side looked like complete ass yesterday as well. 
Reply/Quote