Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carson Palmer comment on the next Bengals head coach 'Good Luck'
(01-11-2019, 11:46 AM)fredtoast Wrote: There is more to it than that.

Mike Brown was exactly the same when Carson signed his huge contract extension to stay with the Bengals.  I don't know exactly what came up to change things, but Palmer had no problem signing that extension when he knew exactly how Mike ran the show.

Well the Bengals did nothing but improve during Carson’s first three years with the team. Anyone and everyone agreed they were a team on the rise from 2003-2005. Carson signed that extension in December of 2005, the peak of Bengal excitement during Marvin’s tenure (IMO, anyway).

Then you had all the arrests in 2006, injuries, chuck bresnahan’s defense, poor draft picks... everything cam crashing down. Carson thought running the team like a real nfl franchise would rectify things, Mike disagreed.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 11:56 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Um, yeah...he is. 

He's 13th all time in passing yards and touchdowns. He's a 3 time first team all pro. 

Dude had a really good career whether Bengal fans and Carson haters want to admit it or not. 

He's a good QB and he had a good run in the NFL, but his chance to even sniff the HOF went down in flames in the 2015 NFC Championship game, by my estimations. Even though he played for 3 franchises that are traditionally seen as career-limiters, the guy needed a ring to be taken seriously.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

He's 13th all time in passing yards and touchdowns. He's a 3 time first team all pro. 

Dude had a really good career whether Bengal fans and Carson haters want to admit it or not. 

Eli Manning has more passing yds and TD’s (and 2 SB MVP’s) and I hear a lot of talk about him being borderline HoF worthy. I personally think he’ll get in, but I don’t see it for Palmer.

Reply/Quote

His 92-88-1 record says no...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 12:15 PM)Synric Wrote: His 92-88-1 record says no...

That's the power of the rings.  Eli Manning is also 4 games over .500 and he will probably get in.  If only Flacco's SB run could combine with Palmer's career you could make a case.  Maybe they could both go into one of those teleport chambers like in the fly and come out as 1 mutated HOF QB?
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 11:57 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Well the Bengals did nothing but improve during Carson’s first three years with the team. Anyone and everyone agreed they were a team on the rise from 2003-2005. Carson signed that extension in December of 2005, the peak of Bengal excitement during Marvin’s tenure (IMO, anyway).

Then you had all the arrests in 2006, injuries, chuck bresnahan’s defense, poor draft picks... everything cam crashing down. Carson thought running the team like a real nfl franchise would rectify things, Mike disagreed.

Yes, he committed six turnovers all by himself.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 12:14 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Eli Manning has more passing yds and TD’s (and 2 SB MVP’s) and I hear a lot of talk about him being borderline HoF worthy. I personally think he’ll get in, but I don’t see it for Palmer.

Eli is basically a lock for the Hall. Those SB performances along with his volume stats will get him in.

He is definitely an odd case because he has never been a consistent Too 5 guy in his career, but he has had some legendary performances and moments.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 01:40 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: So did Spikes.  

So did Boomer, so did a freaking punter named Lee Johnson, Pickens, hell, we can go on for days.  Lost in all of the hoopla is that Palmer was most upset with the way they did Jon Kitna.....a teammate.  It was also said that Palmer's teammates implored him to approach Brown for at least a couple of years.  I don't get the hate.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 12:29 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Eli is basically a lock for the Hall. Those SB performances along with his volume stats will get him in.

He is definitely an odd case because he has never been a consistent Too 5 guy in his career, but he has had some legendary performances and moments.

Taking Brady and the Pats down in the SB seems a little less special now that Foles did it though.

But I agree, Eli is getting in. He’s been super durable and compiled big numbers, plays for NY, and has a famous last name.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 11:57 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Im sure he was asked. He does a lot of analysis now on NFL Network and other football related programs. 

I have never once seen him on NFLN.  I don't watch it 24/7 but with the way they repeat everything so many times, you don't have to.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I'm curious why this is in JN. The heroic golden boy who suffered on all our behalf has not been a Bengal for eight years.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 12:35 PM)Wyche Wrote: So did Boomer, so did a freaking punter named Lee Johnson, Pickens, hell, we can go on for days.  Lost in all of the hoopla is that Palmer was most upset with the way they did Jon Kitna.....a teammate.  It was also said that Palmer's teammates implored him to approach Brown for at least a couple of years.  I don't get the hate.

Exactly, the whole team hated how Mike Brown ran the business. Palmer was the fall guy but it would have been smarter, as I said the other day, to send 10 guys up to the office and then go public. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
"Quitter?!?!"

Did George Washington "quit" on King George?
Reply/Quote
Carson Palmer is such a dope

He is the one who signed a 100 million dollar extension with the Bengals

Carson signed a six-year contract extension through the 2014 season with the Bengals on December 29, 2005. In addition to the three years remaining on his existing deal, the value of the extension was worth $118.75 million over nine years. "Hopefully this is the last place I'll end up playing," Palmer said. "That's so rare in this league these days. It's so rare to see a person have a 5-, 8-, 10-, 12-year career in one place. And I feel very fortunate that it looks like that's going to be my future."

Now, he takes every chance he can find to disparage the team.

46 and 51 in his Bengals career

He had great WRs in Cincy
Great O Line
Good Rushing Attack

He just wasnt that good.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: "Quitter?!?!"

Did George Washington "quit" on King George?

Palmer and George Washington both had issues with the guys calling the shots so they gave up and went west.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 11:00 AM)Stewy Wrote: Your irrelevant point is irrelevant.

No it’s not. It’s completely relevant. It’s incredibly relevant. It’s inarguably relevant.

Please go back and read my prior posts in this thread and tell me where I’m wrong. Make an actual statement and support it. Don’t just make some flipant statement without any supporting material.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 12:14 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Eli Manning has more passing yds and TD’s (and 2 SB MVP’s) and I hear a lot of talk about him being borderline HoF worthy. I personally think he’ll get in, but I don’t see it for Palmer.

No way does Palmer make the HOF. You have to be a consistent top 5-7 or atleast Top 10 to get in.

He was that for maybe what...2-3 years total?

Most of his career, he was a middle of the pack guy.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:16 PM)TrevBengal Wrote: Carson Palmer is such a dope

Carson signed a six-year contract extension through the 2014 season with the Bengals on December 29, 2005. In addition to the three years remaining on his existing deal, the value of the extension was worth $118.75 million over nine years. "Hopefully this is the last place I'll end up playing," Palmer said. "That's so rare in this league these days. It's so rare to see a person have a 5-, 8-, 10-, 12-year career in one place. And I feel very fortunate that it looks like that's going to be my future."

Great O Line
Good Rushing Attack

He just wasnt that good.

First couple of years, yes.  Then it regressed to guys like Nate Livings, Kyle Cook, Dennis Roland, Anthony Collins, Ghiaciuc, and Stacy Andrews.  They didn't do their due diligence to replace the aging good linemen (sound familiar), and it tanked us.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:05 PM)McC Wrote: I'm curious why this is in JN.  The heroic golden boy who suffered on all our behalf  has not been a Bengal for eight years.

Because it is a comment he made about the Bengals.  Jungle Noise is where things about the Bengals, comments and such are discussed.  If Mike Florio over at NBC Sports makes a comment about the Bengals should it also not be discussed in Jungle Noise?  After all he has never been a part of the Bengals organization.

If it is so troubling for you, I suppose there is always the option to stop reading the thread.  Just a thought.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:16 PM)TrevBengal Wrote: Carson Palmer is such a dope

Great O Line
Good Rushing Attack

He just wasnt that good.

Yes - I'm conflicted on what he did.

Guys like Carl Pickens and Corey Dillon spoke out about the organization and tried really hard to get out...but they stayed and played hard until they were traded.

Palmer did indeed sign that huge contract. Then wanted out.

Had he not did that, maybe we don't have the 5 year run of making the playoffs?

I don't know. I don't like just quitting and can't respect that...but the message he put out there was accurate.
Reply/Quote