Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carson Palmer comment on the next Bengals head coach 'Good Luck'
(01-11-2019, 11:56 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Um, yeah...he is. 

He's 13th all time in passing yards and touchdowns. He's a 3 time first team all pro. 

Dude had a really good career whether Bengal fans and Carson haters want to admit it or not. 

Lol.

No he isnt.    Tony Romo is a much better QB, he has a case for HOF - Palmer does not

88 career rating

Zero rings
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:29 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Because it is a comment he made about the Bengals.  Jungle Noise is where things about the Bengals, comments and such are discussed.  If Mike Florio over at NBC Sports makes a comment about the Bengals should it also not be discussed in Jungle Noise?  After all he has never been a part of the Bengals organization.

If it is so troubling for you, I suppose there always the option to stop reading the thread.  Just a thought.

The only comments about our coaching situation in JN should be from current Bengals players.  Let's see...so apparently Marvin isn't going anywhere.  Discuss.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If Mark Brunell is not a HOFer, Carson Palmer never will be

He doesnt belong because he was not that good. Pretty easy
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:34 PM)TrevBengal Wrote: Lol.

No he isnt.    Tony Romo is a much better QB, he has a case for HOF - Palmer does not

88 career rating

Zero rings

1-4 in the playoffs.  And who can forget that epic 4 pick, 2 fumble gem in his last playoff game?  HOF my ass.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:39 PM)TrevBengal Wrote: If Mark Brunell is not a HOFer, Carson Palmer never will be

He doesnt belong because he was not that good.  Pretty easy

I'm not saying Palmer is a HOF-er, but we've had what...1 guy who is?  I guess we can include TO, but meh.  So 51 years and 0 HOFers...oof.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:40 PM)McC Wrote: 1-4 in the playoffs.  And who can forget that epic 4 pick, 2 fumble gem in his last playoff game?  HOF my ass.

career 97 rating

That's his case. 

Carson pales in comparison 
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:06 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Exactly, the whole team hated how Mike Brown ran the business. Palmer was the fall guy but it would have been smarter, as I said the other day, to send 10 guys up to the office and then go public. 

I agree.  It would have definitely had more impact....and maybe cooler heads would have prevailed.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:41 PM)TrevBengal Wrote: career 97 rating

That's his case. 

Carson pales in comparison 

I was talking about Carson.  He is no HOFer.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I don't hate Carson for saying what he said. There's some truth to it, of course. I do take issue with him completely letting Marv off the hook. We had the talent to "win" several times over the last 16 years and Marv teams went 8-28 against the Steelers, were just as bad in Prime-Time and 0-7 in the playoffs. Sub .500 vs the AFC conference. 

Those things indicate a coaching issue. Regardless of scouting department size (which should've been upgraded long ago), Tobin busted his you know what to get great talent in Cincy. We had a couple groups of players that many teams would be envious of over the last 16 years, and we did nothing with them, even when those teams were rolling on full steam through the regular season. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote:  I do take issue with him completely letting Marv off the hook.
He never did that.
He just acknowledged that any Bengal coach (including Marvin) would be handicapped by playing for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:05 PM)McC Wrote: I'm curious why this is in JN.  The heroic golden boy who suffered on all our behalf  has not been a Bengal for eight years.

The rule is this:

Threads about current players = ok
Threads about former players on different teams = not ok
Threads about former players who are retired = ok (think Palmer, Blake, Munoz, Esiason)
Someone says something relevant to the Bengals = ok

(01-11-2019, 02:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He never did that.
He just acknowledged that any Bengal coach (including Marvin) would be handicapped by playing for the Bengals.

Which kinda lets Marv off the hook. Just a bit. How handicapped was Marvin in 2003-2006 and 2009-2015? You have to acknowledge both sides or you (Carson) come off as being bitter or having an agenda. Yes, Mike could've done more to address the o-line and defense in 2007-2008 and 2016-2018.

But you also should be willing to admit that despite any scouting dept deficiencies, they still managed to put great teams on the field in the years I mentioned. How much of that was Marv and how much was Tobin? If it was mostly Tobin, it's hard to claim a huge handicap for our coaches (Marvin). Basically, how is a small scouting department a hindrance to the HC if Tobin is still cranking out solid drafts?

Yes, the scouting department needs to be expanded. We all know this. But you can't claim something handicapped the HC if he really didn't feel the effects thanks to Tobin doing a great job overall. 

The only handicap I think Marv truly felt, was Mike's reluctance to use free agency. Particularly when we had a glaring weakness (think o-line) and we wound up missing the playoffs thanks to that weakness. Other than that, I think Marv had some great rosters to work with. 

The small scouting dept knock was just Carson taking the low hanging fruit to throw a shot at Mike over an old grudge (which was more about free agency from everything I've read). 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The NFL has changed a lot over the past 20 years...so you'll see a lot of the current era players really high up on all-time passer lists...because they pass for more yards in a year.

It's apples and oranges comparison in many cases.

But, if you compare Palmer to his peers of the time...he wasn't one of the best QB's in the league.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 03:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The NFL has changed a lot over the past 20 years...so you'll see a lot of the current era players really high up on all-time passer lists...because they pass for more yards in a year.

It's apples and oranges comparison in many cases.

But, if you compare Palmer to his peers of the time...he wasn't one of the best QB's in the league.

Palmer's ranks in passer rating:

2004- 23rd
2005- 2nd
2006- 6th
2007- 14th
2008- 32nd (4 games - failed to qualify)
2009- 16th
2010- 19th

2011- 19th
2012- 16th
2013- 20th
2014- 8th (6 games)
2015- 3rd
2016- 20th
2017- 21st (7 games)

Looks a lot like Dalton, but the perception of the two is miles apart for whatever reason.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 04:49 AM)bengalhoel Wrote: Boomer is still bitter about Mike Brown drafting David Klingler and he doesnt hide it very well. 

There is nothing desirable about Cleveland. The city is ugly. Their teams are lame and that douchebag Mayfield makes me want to barf. 
Prior to this year ,  I kind of felt bad for Browns fans and the ones I knew personally I would say "Maybe this ownership will get it right and maybe Mayfield will finally be a decent Brown's QB.  This would bring the " Thanks, I hope so, or it would be nice for once.." type answers. Fast forward to the first Browns win over the Bengals and they are rubbing it in my face and acting like jerk wads like they won the Super Bowl. Browns fans stink and we need to send them back to the bottom of the division.

Pretty sure Klingler was drafted AFTER Boomer requested a trade, and was a direct result of the trade request.

Both Mike and Boomer have said that Mike told him he would only grant the trade request after the following season if he could secure a new QB and feel comfortable in the guy, then landed Klingler in that next draft.

(01-11-2019, 11:33 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Yep that small scouting department dropped the ball selecting Carson's punk ass.

Think that was the point he was making is that he himself sucks.

Proof of it is that after he won only 4 games the Bengals drafted a QB that led them immediately to the playoffs. A QB many claim stinks but just had more gumption than Carson and actually tried.

Carson hated Ohio from the moment he arrived.

I heard him say in radio interviews that he loves the state and goes back at least once a year to deer hunt.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't hate Carson for saying what he said. There's some truth to it, of course. I do take issue with him completely letting Marv off the hook. We had the talent to "win" several times over the last 16 years and Marv teams went 8-28 against the Steelers, were just as bad in Prime-Time and 0-7 in the playoffs. Sub .500 vs the AFC conference. 

Those things indicate a coaching issue. Regardless of scouting department size (which should've been upgraded long ago), Tobin busted his you know what to get great talent in Cincy. We had a couple groups of players that many teams would be envious of over the last 16 years, and we did nothing with them, even when those teams were rolling on full steam through the regular season. 

THIS was the line I read every page of the thread to see.

After his trade request (and regularly since) the masses here in Bengaldom have stated that Marvin being re-signed is the reason Carson wanted out, even referencing the fact that Carson gave a "no comment" to Marvin's re-signing.

But in this interview/statement, he specifically mentioned how much he loves Marvin and has seen him many times since his trade, however has not had a chance to talk to him since Black Monday.  It sounds to me like this statement said once and for all he was comfortable continuing under ML, but it was rather the FO continuing to allow players and leaders like Willie and TJ to walk away and replacing them with lesser talent.

Remember Carson stating that he wasn't going to talk about the divorce unless the time was right?  I think he now feels the time is right.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not saying Palmer is a HOF-er, but we've had what...1 guy who is?  I guess we can include TO, but meh.  So 51 years and 0 HOFers...oof.

It’s a joke Ken Riley isn’t in. Geno should be a lock, but see the former.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:19 PM)motoarch Wrote: No it’s not.  It’s completely relevant.  It’s incredibly relevant.  It’s inarguably relevant.

Please go back and read my prior posts in this thread and tell me where I’m wrong.  Make an actual statement and support it.  Don’t just make some flipant statement without any supporting material.

No
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 02:24 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s a joke Ken Riley isn’t in. Geno should be a lock, but see the former.

What was great... absolutely great.... was the day a caller called into NFL radio and complained about the Bengals having "one lousy player" in the HoF, and the fact neither of the Kenny's were in. The announcers actually did not realize that Munoz was the only Bengal in there. And then, of all things, a HoFer from Pittsburgh from the Riley era called in and actually said he was embarrassed to be in the Hall when the Rattler was not.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 02:26 AM)Stewy Wrote: No

Then stfu
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 02:24 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s a joke Ken Riley isn’t in. Geno should be a lock, but see the former.

Yeah, I loved Riley. His stats, in an era of less passing, are still way up there compared to the modern day DBs.

Reply/Quote