Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carson Picks His Horse
The Bengals had a 10-6 division champion, added Terrell Owens (after paying big for Antonio Bryant in a sad story), were a literal Super Bowl dark horse preseason, and went 4-12.

Carson Palmer did that.

Then he threw a fit, demanded a trade, and sat out.

While Andy Dalton led a less imposing roster to the playoffs as a rookie.

Palmer’s opinion is worth shit to me.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 04:54 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: The Bengals had a 10-6 division champion, added Terrell Owens (after paying big for Antonio Bryant in a sad story), were a literal Super Bowl dark horse preseason, and went 4-12.

Carson Palmer did that.

Then he threw a fit, demanded a trade, and sat out.

While Andy Dalton led a less imposing roster to the playoffs as a rookie.

Palmer’s opinion is worth shit to me.

Carson did what many of us have begged to do in the past. He went up to Mike Brown and demanded change. When Brown said no, Palmer told him to get ****** and was willing to risk his career over it.

I’ll never fault him for that. This franchise had been a joke for nearly 15 years until he showed up, which is coincidentally when Mike took over.

I agree with Carson. I’m camp Sewell. Am I against Chase? No, I think he will be good, too. He just isn’t the way I would go about it.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 05:05 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Carson did what many of us have begged to do in the past. He went up to Mike Brown and demanded change. When Brown said no, Palmer told him to get ****** and was willing to risk his career over it.

I’ll never fault him for that. This franchise had been a joke for nearly 15 years until he showed up, which is coincidentally when Mike took over.

I agree with Carson. I’m camp Sewell. Am I against Chase? No, I think he will be good, too. He just isn’t the way I would go about it.

I keep hearing the stories about Sewell’s potential greatness. Former pros say he’s it. But man does Sewell have the thinnest of resumes. His conference isn’t that good anymore. Bust wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Chase has a bright lights resume and a much longer football resume. I’d be shocked it he was a bust.

Pitts same as Chase, great conference, dominated in it, measurements off the charts. I’d be shocked if he was a bust.

At #5 I got to go with the guy I think is a sure thing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 05:27 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: I keep hearing the stories about Sewell’s potential greatness. Former pros say he’s it. But man does Sewell have the thinnest of resumes.  His conference isn’t that good anymore. Bust wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Chase has a bright lights resume and a much longer football resume. I’d be shocked it he was a bust.

Pitts same as Chase, great conference, dominated in it, measurements off the charts. I’d be shocked if he was a bust.

I'll be happy with whomever, but what makes Chase's football resume much longer? 

You want an longer, more impressive resume against elite opponents take Devonta
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 05:27 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: I keep hearing the stories about Sewell’s potential greatness. Former pros say he’s it. But man does Sewell have the thinnest of resumes. His conference isn’t that good anymore. Bust wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Chase certainly doesn’t have a “much longer” football resume. Chase started 24 games and Sewell started 20. The conference argument is valid, though. Oregon has been the cream of that conference for the past decade. Sewell’s best tape is likely against his own teammate, Kayvon Thibodeaux, who is a projected top 10 pick next year.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 05:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'll be happy with whomever, but what makes Chase's football resume much longer? 

You want an longer, more impressive resume against elite opponents take Devonta

We probably would if he was heavy enough to ride in the back of a vehicle without a car seat... Tongue

Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 05:44 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We probably would if he was heavy enough to ride in the back of a vehicle without a car seat... Tongue

I've been a Slim fan, but even I'll admit 166 is eye opening..His agent should be fired for not taking him to the all you can eat buffet the night prior or sneaking rocks in his pockets

Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 05:27 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: I keep hearing the stories about Sewell’s potential greatness. Former pros say he’s it. But man does Sewell have the thinnest of resumes.  His conference isn’t that good anymore. Bust wouldn’t surprise me at all.

I see what you're saying and I could be wrong, but I don't think either guy will be a bust. They're both clear Type As. Should they suffer some growing pains, they've shown the intestinal fortitude to fight through them. They'll both be productive imo, it's just a question of to what extent.

One of the things I like about Penei is that the floor of his impact (if not his talent) would be so high. He'd be serviceable no matter what, but also bring an identity to a unit that's gone without one for years. The symbolism of investing such a marquee pick on the OL would promise to take some pressure off his comrades, and perhaps even inspire them with new confidence. He's a larger-than-life all-business personality, and they don't grow on trees. 

Chase has some of that too, but WRs tend to have a smaller locker room multiplier imo. Their greatness is more limited to themselves and their QBs.
Reply/Quote
Everyone is worried about Penei being a bust, but the bust rate for WR's is way higher than probably any position.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 03:18 PM)Big Boss Wrote: The same Carson Palmer that wanted the Bears to "come get him" even after he had an agreement in place with the Bengals?

I'll never quite understand why anyone would be upset with someone, not from around here, not caring whether he played for the Bengals or not. 

If i were in the draft this year and say, Detroit was projected to take me but Miami showed some interest...why the hell wouldn't i want the Dolphins to "come get me"? To hell with what anyone in Detroit thinks. 

People always want(ed) someone to stand up to MB and make him change the way he does things. Carson did that and now everyone (or at least a large percentage of people) hates him. Why? He called MBs bluff and ended up winning and Brown still didn't really change his ways. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5375425]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 09:00 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'll never quite understand why anyone would be upset with someone, not from around here, not caring whether he played for the Bengals or not. 

If i were in the draft this year and say, Detroit was projected to take me but Miami showed some interest...why the hell wouldn't i want the Dolphins to "come get me"? To hell with what anyone in Detroit thinks. 

People always want(ed) someone to stand up to MB and make him change the way he does things. Carson did that and now everyone (or at least a large percentage of people) hates him. Why? He called MBs bluff and ended up winning and Brown still didn't really change his ways. 

Palmer cried because someone threw trash in his yard...i still think Carson was throwing away his trash and missed the garbage can, maybe if would have painted the cans to look like his opponents, he could have got the garbage into it..
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 09:56 PM)The Clapp Wrote: Palmer cried because someone threw trash in his yard...i still think Carson was throwing away his trash and missed the garbage can, maybe if would have painted the cans to look like his opponents, he could have got the garbage into it..

I’d be pissed too if some snot-nosed fans threw trash in my yard. Or in my case, just anyone. Let me come dump a trash can in your front yard so you can wake up to it and see if it doesn’t piss you off.

What a weird take lol. “Palmer got mad that people threw trash in his front yard. That crybaby.” YEAH, YOU TELL HIM.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 10:40 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I’d be pissed too if some snot-nosed fans threw trash in my yard. Or in my case, just anyone. Let me come dump a trash can in your front yard so you can wake up to it and see if it doesn’t piss you off.

What a weird take lol. “Palmer got mad that people threw trash in his front yard. That crybaby.” YEAH, YOU TELL HIM.

The Clapp is working on his next book, How to Make Friends and Influence People by Trashing Carson Palmer..  Give the guy a break.. Cool
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 09:00 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'll never quite understand why anyone would be upset with someone, not from around here, not caring whether he played for the Bengals or not. 

I think you're right. It's been the chatter since he's left that's bugged me more than anything. At the same time; I still have pretty fond memories of the early Palmer years. We were all of the sudden an NFL team again when he arrived.

The way he went out was a win/ win. The years of losing and mediocrity had gotten to him, and most of the other veterans. It was time to blow it up, and it probably doesn't happen if he kept quiet, and stayed. We ended up getting the same production at QB for much less money, and that allowed for the re-signings of guys like Atkins, Dunlap, AJ Green etc etc etc. Carson got to head back west, and eventually his career had a mini rebirth.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I don't blame Palmer for what he did.. No matter what happened he made a decision that was best for himself and his family...end/stop..
He does know a little bit about how to be a QB in the NFL..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 10:40 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I’d be pissed too if some snot-nosed fans threw trash in my yard. Or in my case, just anyone. Let me come dump a trash can in your front yard so you can wake up to it and see if it doesn’t piss you off.

I'm sure the landscaping crew Palmer that Palmer hired with the money he earned in Cincy, didn't enjoy cleaning it up.

As I said; I'm sure as Carson has matured he realizes the mistake he made. He'll always be known as the QB that quit on his team during a lockout by management because, he was mad at management,,,

Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 11:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm sure the landscaping crew Palmer that Palmer hired with the money he earned in Cincy, didn't enjoy cleaning it up.

As I said; I'm sure as Carson has matured he realizes the mistake he made. He'll always be known as the QB that quit on his team during a lockout by management because, he was mad at management,,,

I think he will only be know as that by the fans around here. Outside of Cincinnati I doubt most fans cared that he told Mike Brown he'd retire before he'd play for the Bengals again.

Actually, based on the reaction when Joe Burrow was drafted and the reaction on a national level after Burrow's injury, I would guess outside of Cincinnati Palmer is viewed as a smart guy who got out of the worst NFL franchise before his career was ruined completely. 

I still have no hard feelings towards Palmer, he got to do what everyone wishes they had the power to do at their job. He was promised things, these promises weren't met and he said "F you, I don't need this job." And he had the money to back that statement up. Average person can't do that, we don't have millions in the bank and know that if management fires us we might be out of work for a while. Palmer though, knew that if Brown let him go, he'd be hired within the week, and all he had to do was wait Mike out. I just wish the whole thing would have embarrassed Brown to the point he would have retired or sold the team/been forced to sell.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 11:32 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I think he will only be know as that by the fans around here. Outside of Cincinnati I doubt most fans cared that he told Mike Brown he'd retire before he'd play for the Bengals again.

Actually, based on the reaction when Joe Burrow was drafted and the reaction on a national level after Burrow's injury, I would guess outside of Cincinnati Palmer is viewed as a smart guy who got out of the worst NFL franchise before his career was ruined completely. 

I still have no hard feelings towards Palmer, he got to do what everyone wishes they had the power to do at their job. He was promised things, these promises weren't met and he said "F you, I don't need this job." And he had the money to back that statement up. Average person can't do that, we don't have millions in the bank and know that if management fires us we might be out of work for a while. Palmer though, knew that if Brown let him go, he'd be hired within the week, and all he had to do was wait Mike out. I just wish the whole thing would have embarrassed Brown to the point he would have retired or sold the team/been forced to sell.

Yeah, the Palmer trade embarrassed a couple folks, but one of them wasn't Mike Brown. Hell, it even got a couple people fired. 

Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 11:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah, the Palmer trade embarrassed a couple folks, but one of them wasn't Mike Brown. Hell, it even got a couple people fired. 

I believe Hue was one of the casualties of that... from a non-Bengal side of people getting fired  Smirk

Sadly nothing seems to embarrass Mike.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote