Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Catalog of Mike Brown Excuses and Dumb Quotes
(03-04-2019, 09:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Indeed.

Switching HC's 5 years too late is definately a sign of hope around here.

Last year EVERYONE knew we needed 2 new Tackles and a Guard. They traded for Glenn and rolled with Bobby Hart was bad the year before.

Fans were elated because we added Glenn.

That's a normal off-season for many teams. It shows how downtrodden the fanbase is.

I got hope not just out of the coaching change, but the fact that Taylor clearly had total control over forming his staff. That's a positive step. 

They still have plenty to prove though, in my book. We'll see though. Maybe they surprise us all and come through in free agency (or trades).
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
OMG, Mike Brown's thinking process is one justification after another, year after year. The guy is mental.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Don't worry, our very own version of Horatio Algers, Geoff Hobson will smooth it all out to make it seem like Brown is merely a rags to riches story in the making and that any time now fortune will smile on all of us. ...if ONLY we root hard enough and believe.. Ragged Dick not withstanding.. 

Anyone get the feeling that if Zack hits a rough patch he'll hear the phrase, "We're from Corporate and we're here to help.." more than a few times? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 10:59 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I got hope not just out of the coaching change, but the fact that Taylor clearly had total control over forming his staff. That's a positive step. 

They still have plenty to prove though, in my book. We'll see though. Maybe they surprise us all and come through in free agency (or trades).

The last two offseasons have certainly been uncharacteristic of the Bengals.....all we can do is hope we continue that trend the rest of this offseason.  We'll know in a little over a week.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
For some time, it seemed like Marvin Lewis had more job security than the Pope.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 10:52 AM)Wyche Wrote: The last two offseasons have certainly been uncharacteristic of the Bengals.....all we can do is hope we continue that trend the rest of this offseason.  We'll know in a little over a week.

They have been more characteristic of an average offseason for a normal NFL Team I'd say.
Reply/Quote
I still don't understand why he still to this day has people defending him out there.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 03:27 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I still don't understand why he still to this day has people defending him out there.

Before I joined these boards, I'd never met anyone who defended Mike Brown.

Tbh, I still haven't met anyone like that face to face. Maybe they're bots?  Nervous
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 04:04 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Before I joined these boards, I'd never met anyone who defended Mike Brown.

Tbh, I still haven't met anyone like that face to face. Maybe they're bots?  Nervous

Oh a lot of things happen on these boards that doesn't happen in real life:

Like people arguing that we don't need a larger scouting department. 9 scouts are enough!

Talk of how great we draft!

Yay! Compensatory picks! Free agency is bad! The Redskins sign free agents and I don't see a Super Bowl there!

Would other NFL fanbases be elated if Katie Blackburn was allegedly running their franchise? Here it is a sign of hope. (Nothing against her personally, but fanbases generally prefer a GM.)
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 09:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Indeed.

Switching HC's 5 years too late is definately a sign of hope around here.

Last year EVERYONE knew we needed 2 new Tackles and a Guard. They traded for Glenn and rolled with Bobby Hart was bad the year before.

Fans were elated because we added Glenn.

That's a normal off-season for many teams. It shows how downtrodden the fanbase is.

No, it simply shows how you will take any positive...no matter how small...and put a negative spin on it. 
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 05:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Oh a lot of things happen on these boards that doesn't happen in real life:

Like people arguing that we don't need a larger scouting department. 9 scouts are enough!

Talk of how great we draft!

Yay! Compensatory picks! Free agency is bad! The Redskins sign free agents and I don't see a Super Bowl there!

Would other NFL fanbases be elated if Katie Blackburn was allegedly running their franchise? Here it is a sign of hope. (Nothing against her personally, but fanbases generally prefer a GM.)
Still would like to see your credentials on what makes you an expert on how big a scouting department needs to be?
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 09:42 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Still would like to see your credentials on what makes you an expert on how big a scouting department needs to be?

27+ years of no playoff wins isn't enough evidence for you that a small scouting staff doesn't work?

No evidence will ever be good enough for you.
Reply/Quote
Here's an article on what Pro Scouts actually do. Hint: It's way more than the draft. Dare I say, some of the things Marvin got criticized for would actually be scout responsibilities on other teams.

Maintaining a football roster isn’t just about evaluating top-flight players or even guys on the bench. It involves keeping tabs on practice-squad guys, scout team fill-ins, opponents’ benches, and even the Arena Football League. An anonymous army of pro scouts puts all the pieces together—here’s how they do it.

But hey...maybe the scouting service we subscribe to does that all!  Hilarious

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/8/24/16195480/life-of-pro-scouts
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 09:42 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Still would like to see your credentials on what makes you an expert on how big a scouting department needs to be?

This was from BEFORE Marvin got hired. Rings true today still! Hey...maybe we need more time to see if we need more scouts. 27 years+ isn't enough!

"The odds are against any coach winning there unless a bigger effort is made in the scouting department," said John Clayton, of ESPN.com and ESPN Magazine. "The Bengals concede five months - August, September, October, November and December - to the rest of the league."

The Bengals do not scout college players as heavily as most other NFL teams. They have just four full-time "scouts" in their personnel department - and two of them are Brown family members who spend much of their time in the office. The fifth person in the department is part-time consultant John Cooper, the former Ohio State coach.

"Other teams hit every school," Clayton said. "The Bengals get the (scouting) reports, but I get the reports, too. It's knowing the background information, the players' personalities, that make the difference in drafting."

The Bengals do visit schools during the season, but their scouts do not see as many games as scouts from other NFL teams.
"You need to make evaluations during games," Clayton said. "You're not scouting guys to workout."
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 05:42 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: MB will die or fade off into the sunset. But I wager some of you will still blame him for the future losses long after he is gone. Paul is worshiped, yet he really won nothing with the Bengals, but MB who has been worse than a HOF legend gets whipped, even now at a time he likely is not all that involved in anything day ty to day.

So have it while you can, soon it will be Katie to maliciously attack to make yourself feel better you are a fan of a crappy team. God forbid our fans hold our million dollar players accountable for results.

Ridiculous post.

MB is cemented as one of the worst owners in professional sports. Universally regarded in the top 20...of ALL sports...of ALL time. And if we're talking about just the NFL...forget about it. Top 5 easily. 

But let's do it your way and blame the scores of players that have been on the roster in the last 26 years plus. It only makes sense that you would blame such a large group of men over such a long period of time instead of the one guy that's been calling the shots all those years.

[Image: 1383.gif]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 02:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They have been more characteristic of an average offseason for a normal NFL Team I'd say.

.....which is very telling.....

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 11:36 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Ridiculous post.

MB is cemented as one of the worst owners in professional sports. Universally regarded in the top 20...of ALL sports...of ALL time. And if we're talking about just the NFL...forget about it. Top 5 easily. 

But let's do it your way and blame the scores of players that have been on the roster in the last 26 years plus. It only makes sense that you would blame such a large group of men over such a long period of time instead of the one guy that's been calling the shots all those years.

[Image: 1383.gif]

Honestly, before Marvin came to town, he was widely regarded as THE worst in ALL of professional sports.  Until the Lions run of futility, Mike had the worst decade of performance for all pro sports in history.

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 11:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This was from BEFORE Marvin got hired. Rings true today still! Hey...maybe we need more time to see if we need more scouts. 27 years+ isn't enough!

"The odds are against any coach winning there unless a bigger effort is made in the scouting department," said John Clayton, of ESPN.com and ESPN Magazine. "The Bengals concede five months - August, September, October, November and December - to the rest of the league."

The Bengals do not scout college players as heavily as most other NFL teams. They have just four full-time "scouts" in their personnel department - and two of them are Brown family members who spend much of their time in the office. The fifth person in the department is part-time consultant John Cooper, the former Ohio State coach.

"Other teams hit every school," Clayton said. "The Bengals get the (scouting) reports, but I get the reports, too. It's knowing the background information, the players' personalities, that make the difference in drafting."

The Bengals do visit schools during the season, but their scouts do not see as many games as scouts from other NFL teams.
"You need to make evaluations during games," Clayton said. "You're not scouting guys to workout."
Not sure why you had to post this reply 2 times, but way to post an article from at least 19 years ago....You have no clue what our scouts do everyday or who they are looking at. I'm willing to bet they look at every college player available to draft. Every team uses a scouting service and gets the same information. The coaches and Duke decide who they want visit for pro day. Not really sure why you feel the need to whine about this in every thread on the board? 
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 12:17 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Not sure why you had to post this reply 2 times, but way to post an article from at least 19 years ago....You have no clue what our scouts do everyday or who they are looking at. I'm willing to bet they look at every college player available to draft. Every team uses a scouting service and gets the same information. The coaches and Duke decide who they want visit for pro day. Not really sure why you feel the need to whine about this in every thread on the board? 

Then why do the Steelers have 19 player personnel people and why do the Ravens have 30+ IF teams don't need scouts?

If 9 is the optimal number, why don't other teams have the same amount?
Reply/Quote
9 is the optimal number only if you care more about making money than winning
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote