Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Center Austin Reiter in for visit
I'm pretty sure that the original plan was for Price to hold it down until Hopkins was ready. And the sudden interest in Centers would be triggered by Pollack - the OL coach so the one working with Price - telling ZT and company he is not ready for this. At least we are seeing them actually take action (Reiter visit and claiming Guillard) as opposed to the "we will go to war with what we have" nonsense we saw in the past.

If they actually SIGN Reiter and he moves into the Center slot, that will mean that the only 2020 opening day starter still starting will be Jonah. The 2020 opening day lineup was Jonah - Jordan - Hopkins - XSF - Hart. Right now our 2021 lineup (if Reiter signs) looks to be Jonah - Spain - Reiter - Carman - Reiff.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 07:12 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: If we were going to draft Chase, we should have brought in an A level OL. But we cheaped out.

Reiffis top 10 highest paid RT in the league.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2021, 03:55 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Awesome. So the top 14 teams in the league have winning records when they throw over 40 times a game. Convincing research.

What about the other 18 teams in the league? You know. Where the Bengals reside.

Bad teams like the Bengals are going to have a hard time winning games whether or not they throw 40+ times.  It's hard to base an indictment of a style of offense based on teams with bad players and/or schemes.  

There is also a huge difference between throwing 40+ times because you have a pass happy scheme, like playoff teams like TB and KC did, and throwing 40+ times because you have a bad team and are down big on the scoreboard, like the Bengals or Jags.  

A scheme that has you throwing 40+ times a game is viable if you have the personnel to do it, as evidenced by the playoff teams and especially the SB teams.  It doesn't make a lot of sense to emulate an unsuccessful style of play.  
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2021, 03:55 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Awesome. So the top 14 teams in the league have winning records when they throw over 40 times a game. Convincing research.

What about the other 18 teams in the league? You know. Where the Bengals reside.

(07-24-2021, 04:17 PM)Whatever Wrote: Bad teams like the Bengals are going to have a hard time winning games whether or not they throw 40+ times.  It's hard to base an indictment of a style of offense based on teams with bad players and/or schemes.  

There is also a huge difference between throwing 40+ times because you have a pass happy scheme, like playoff teams like TB and KC did, and throwing 40+ times because you have a bad team and are down big on the scoreboard, like the Bengals or Jags.  

A scheme that has you throwing 40+ times a game is viable if you have the personnel to do it, as evidenced by the playoff teams and especially the SB teams.  It doesn't make a lot of sense to emulate an unsuccessful style of play.  

[Image: good-7.jpg]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
This is really a solid move. The guy has played at
High level in meaningful games.
As a matter of fact a good deal of the Bengals
FA acquisitions have played in some big time games
Hilton
Hendrickson
Bell
Reader

It's not like they are targeting guys from the Jets
Or Jags.they are pursuing guys that have played in
Big games
Reply/Quote
Better than Hopkins anyway. We'll see if we actually sign him, but we'd be lucky to have him.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I’ve been hoping for this for quite some time. I believe I posted about it a couple of months ago. It would at the very least add some stability to the group.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2021, 02:58 PM)Joelist Wrote: I'm pretty sure that the original plan was for Price to hold it down until Hopkins was ready. And the sudden interest in Centers would be triggered by Pollack - the OL coach so the one working with Price - telling ZT and company he is not ready for this. At least we are seeing them actually take action (Reiter visit and claiming Guillard) as opposed to the "we will go to war with what we have" nonsense we saw in the past.

If they actually SIGN Reiter and he moves into the Center slot, that will mean that the only 2020 opening day starter still starting will be Jonah. The 2020 opening day lineup was Jonah - Jordan - Hopkins - XSF - Hart. Right now our 2021 lineup (if Reiter signs) looks to be Jonah - Spain - Reiter - Carman - Reiff.

Good post, correcting a mistake should be applauded.  Most of us would love if Price worked out but you can't just plan on him being good.  

We also are making too much out of Reiter's bad run blocking.  If he were a bad pass blocker the board would go nuts.  We know throwing 40 times a game is a bad plan, they'll plan on running but you can't look a gift horse in the mouth. 
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2021, 04:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Reiffis top 10 highest paid RT in the league.

Meh, big deal.  As soon as the next round of contracts come about, he'll be well down the list.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2021, 10:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Meh, big deal.  As soon as the next round of contracts come about, he'll be well down the list.

I took his comment to be a reply to the guy claiming the Bengals cheaped out.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2021, 11:05 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I took his comment to be a reply to the guy claiming the Bengals cheaped out.

I won't say that they totally "cheaped out", but they sure as heck did wait until after most of the best, and most sought after OL on the market were off the board.  I also seem to remember that it took a fair amount of lobbying and meetings to get Reiff to agree to that RT contract, after being paid as a LT for such a long time.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 08:54 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I won't say that they totally "cheaped out", but they sure as heck did wait until after most of the best, and most sought after OL on the market were off the board. 

The Bengals did not "wait" for anything.  They reportedly made offers to and were in negotiation with the top paid O-line prospects.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 10:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The Bengals did not "wait" for anything.  They reportedly made offers to and were in negotiation with the top paid O-line prospects.

Seeing how none of the top paid OL free agents signed with the Bengals, is it fair to surmise that perhaps the Bengals lowballed them with cheap offers?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Are there any updates on Reiter?  I'm assuming his visit here has come and gone.  Do we think he's still going to be signed, or do we think the team decided to pass?

If they are going to sign him I would hope they get it done very soon, like within the next 24-48 hours.  Camp opens up on Tuesday.  

I'm already not exactly thrilled they've waited this long to bring in a Center.  It sure sounds like Hopkins isn't at all a guarantee to be ready.  I would have hoped they could have planned this out and had someone in for OTA's and minicamps but obviously it's too late for that now.  So, if they're really in the market then I would think now would be the time you have to get it done.

What do you guys think?  Is this going to happen?
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 11:19 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Are there any updates on Reiter?  I'm assuming his visit here has come and gone.  Do we think he's still going to be signed, or do we think the team decided to pass?

If they are going to sign him I would hope they get it done very soon, like within the next 24-48 hours.  Camp opens up on Tuesday.  

I'm already not exactly thrilled they've waited this long to bring in a Center.  It sure sounds like Hopkins isn't at all a guarantee to be ready.  I would have hoped they could have planned this out and had someone in for OTA's and minicamps but obviously it's too late for that now.  So, if they're really in the market then I would think now would be the time you have to get it done.

I don’t think it’ll happen. I’m sure he is weighing the stark difference between KC and cinci and is it worth it coming here… only if the pay is nice. If he has held out this long, I doubt cinci money will be enough.

I agree with you, feels like the coaches held onto some false hope Hopkins would make a miraculous recovery instead of addressing the problem early. I wanted them to make a play for Linsley but that ship sailed long ago. Like you said, they could have planned this better from what I can tell.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 04:49 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I like this move. I always thought Hopkins was a better RG than a C. This upgrades starting C and backup C and provides depth at both L/R G & T spots.

Not to bash Hopkins, cuz I like him, but he was not a good guard.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 11:19 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Are there any updates on Reiter?  I'm assuming his visit here has come and gone.  Do we think he's still going to be signed, or do we think the team decided to pass?

Visiting tomorrow.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 12:15 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Not to bash Hopkins, cuz I like him, but he was not a good guard.

Not true. I remember Ocho posting his PFF numbers from when he was at G and they were better than I remembered.

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 12:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not true. I remember Ocho posting his PFF numbers from when he was at G and they were better than I remembered.

He has a really weird curve in his grades. 

Early on, he was pretty poor @G and then from game 12 through the end of the season (2017) he improved noticeably. 

Beyond that, from the time he became an every day player, over the last 4 years, his passblock grades have slightly but steadily declined while his runblock grades have slightly but steadily gone up, though he did record his highest pass block efficiency last year at 98.9

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Trey Hopkins is NOT on the PUP list to open camp which means he, similar to Joe, appear to be on track to play week 1.
Reply/Quote