Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Center JC Tretter
(03-22-2022, 02:24 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Hadn't thought about that.  Seems likely.

The NFL is run by dirtbags. 

Watson gets $230 mil guaranteed and has 22 women suing him for sexual assault/misconduct. Meanwhile, Kap gets blackballed for taking a knee. It is disgusting. 

Would not surprise me a bit if teams are freezing Tretter out for being the player rep. 

If we break ranks it could help us, as he'd come cheap. He could backup Karras at C and if Carman flops again, he could take over at C & move Karras to LG. I do not feel real comfortable with Hill as the backup C. 

I like Karras, Carman, Tretter better than Karras, Carman, Hill.  

Though I think CB & DT are in worse shape atm. More OL line help should not be off the table, especially if it comes cheap. Whether that is Tretter or bringing back Reiff/Spain/Hopkins. 
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 01:54 PM)jj22 Wrote: I will say maybe he burned some bridges being a NFLPA rep. He is the reason the Browns didn't practice in OTA's the last couple years. He pressured the players as the NFLP rep to stay away. Maybe teams are holding that against him.

(03-22-2022, 02:24 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Hadn't thought about that.  Seems likely.

(03-22-2022, 04:17 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Watson gets $230 mil guaranteed and has 22 women suing him for sexual assault/misconduct. Meanwhile, Kap gets blackballed for taking a knee. It is disgusting. 

Would not surprise me a bit if teams are freezing Tretter out for being the player rep. 

Don't think it's about him being the president of the NFLPA.

The Bengals signed Eric Winston while he was NFLPA President and kept signing him for 4 years.

He might just be one of those guys that aren't in a hurry.

- - - - - - - -

As for Kap, there seems to be a whooooooole lot of "forgetting" when it comes to him.

He threw for 59% completion, 6 TD/5 INT, 6.6 YPA, 78.5 QB Rating while going 2-6 in 2015 before having season-ending shoulder surgery. During the offseason he would also have both knee AND thumb surgery. He started 2016 on the bench because of the three surgeries, got back the starting job, and proceeded to lose 9 straight games, going 1-10 on the season.

HE then CHOSE to opt out of his contract with the 49ers. He wasn't cut/waived/released, he opted out. (There were rumors that he'd have been cut if he didn't opt out, but who knows if those were true, he chose to leave first.)

Even after ALL of that he was still about to be signed by the Ravens in 2017 before his girlfriend publicly compared the Ravens owner and Ray Lewis to a slave owner and his slave.

There's a whole lot more to it than "gets blackballed for taking a knee" and saying otherwise is disingenuous at best. The NFL has proven time and time again, if you're talented enough they will overlook all kinds of baggage. Once your talent no longer outweighs the baggage, they move on. I mean shit, Mike Vick went to prison for two years for fighting, hanging, and drowning dogs and NFL teams still signed him because he was already a multi-time Pro Bowler MVP-finalist who ran for over 1,000 yards at 8.4 yards per carry his last NFL before prison.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 04:17 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Meanwhile, Kap gets blackballed for taking a knee. It is disgusting. 

Kap's not getting blackballed for taking a knee.

No team wants him because no team wants that extra media attention. Same thing with Tebow. Just a complete distraction

players commit crimes and deal with accusations all the time and only deal with minimal media flack come regular season. Kap and Tebow are much different. They bring every media outlet along with them and take over whatever franchise they play for
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 08:58 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Kap's not getting blackballed for taking a knee.

No team wants him because no team wants that extra media attention. Same thing with Tebow. Just a complete distraction

players commit crimes and deal with accusations all the time and only deal with minimal media flack come regular season. Kap and Tebow are much different. They bring every media outlet along with them and take over whatever franchise they play for

And no one wants to overpay bad QB to go along with the media drama that will come with that player. Kap isnt very good in the NFL. Its pretty simple. 

A lot of people were raised to not treat people differently because of the color of their skin. In Kap's case, that means not many people would want to pay him more money just because the color of his skin and not because of his talent on the field. It would be racist to hire him just because he's half black. Wth...
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 08:58 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Kap's not getting blackballed for taking a knee.

The other big issue with Kap and Tebow is that even if you sign them as a backup, there are a bunch of people that will create an instant QB controversy the second the starter throws a pick.  Kap and Tebow fans are totally delusional.  Most Kap fans think he could walk in today after 5 years out of the league and start.  I mean, this is a guy who has a career completion % under 60%, passer rating under 90, averaged under 180 passing yards a game, had only 2 3000 yard passing seasons, only one 20+ passing TD season, and a losing record as a starter.  But people convince themselves that he's Mahomes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
In other news... Doesn't look like Tretter is an option.

I do think Spain gets a look if they can get him cheap.
Would like to see a corner without an injury history picked up as well.
Also another DT that doesn't break the bank.
Should be cheaper signings from here on out IMO. Then re-sign Bates.
Reply/Quote
Tebow & Kap are not in the same category as players. The idea that both were let go because of media circus issues is a pathetic excuse that is just plain wrong.

First off, Tebow got his shot. Both as a QB and as a TE. Aside from that 9-7 season and glorious playoff win on a long TD pass, he just was not a very good QB. Broncos had a great D that year and he did enough. He is useful at the goal line. Even after having the lowest passer rating in the league (and fumbling a lot), he got traded to the Jets, ehere he was a special teamer/wildcat QB. The Pats gave him a shot at QB but cut him on funal cutdown day. Media circus had zero to do with it. He just sucks. The Eagles gave him a shot in 2015 for a backup QB job but released him. Meyer brought him back as a TE for Jax in 2021, but he was later released. Broncos, Jets, Pats, Eagles, Jaguars. No one was afraid of a media circus (there wasn't any). They brought him in. He just could not cut it.

Second off, NFL teams bring in circus guys/divas/contoversial guys all the time. Watson, Adrian Peterson, OBJ, Chad, TO, etc. If the guy can play, he always has a home. The only real exception I can think of is Ray Rice.

Now, I agree Kap is not on the level of those guys as a player. But he did get the 49ers to a SB. But the idea that taking a knee creates some kind of huge distraction is absurd. It is not a practice issue. It is not a preparation issue. It is not a game issue.

Unlike Tebow, he has not gotten a shot. Has not taken a snap since becoming a FA in 2017. Filed a collusion grievance vs the NFL, which was withdrawn in 2019 as part of a settlement. He is 34 now, so it is kind of pointless. And I am not saying he is a starter level QB. The 49ers were dreadful his last year there (2-14). But Kap was still a respectable 17th in passer rating that season.

Player A: worst QB rating in league. Gets 4 more chances.
Player B: 17th in QB rating, took team to SB, never even gets a camp invite.

If you cannot connect those dots, my friend, the issue is yours.

In other news, we are out on Tretter.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 01:19 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Tebow & Kap are not in the same category as players. The idea that both were let go because of media circus issues is a pathetic excuse that is just plain wrong.

First off, Tebow got his shot. Both as a QB and as a TE. Aside from that 9-7 season and glorious playoff win on a long TD pass, he just was not a very good QB. Broncos had a great D that year and he did enough. He is useful at the goal line. Even after having the lowest passer rating in the league (and fumbling a lot), he got traded to the Jets, ehere he was a special teamer/wildcat QB. The Pats gave him a shot at QB but cut him on funal cutdown day. Media circus had zero to do with it. He just sucks. The Eagles gave him a shot in 2015 for a backup QB job but released him. Meyer brought him back as a TE for Jax in 2021, but he was later released. Broncos, Jets, Pats, Eagles, Jaguars. No one was afraid of a media circus (there wasn't any). They brought him in. He just could not cut it.

Second off, NFL teams bring in circus guys/divas/contoversial guys all the time. Watson, Adrian Peterson, OBJ, Chad, TO, etc. If the guy can play, he always has a home. The only real exception I can think of is Ray Rice.

Now, I agree Kap is not on the level of those guys as a player. But he did get the 49ers to a SB. But the idea that taking a knee creates some kind of huge distraction is absurd. It is not a practice issue. It is not a preparation issue. It is not a game issue.

Unlike Tebow, he has not gotten a shot. Has not taken a snap since becoming a FA in 2017. Filed a collusion grievance vs the NFL, which was withdrawn in 2019 as part of a settlement. He is 34 now, so it is kind of pointless. And I am not saying he is a starter level QB. The 49ers were dreadful his last year there (2-14). But Kap was still a respectable 17th in passer rating that season.

If nothing else Kap does seem to have a bad attitude about everything unlike Tebow. I wouldn’t put it past him to cause controversy about not playing if he was signed onto a team. Or claim it was racism.

No proof that that is true, but he’s kind of morphed into a massive activist at this point and I could believe it if teams didn’t want him to avoid the controversy of not playing him if he performs bad.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 01:19 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Tebow & Kap are not in the same category as players. The idea that both were let go because of media circus issues is a pathetic excuse that is just plain wrong.

You know why Tebow got multiple chances?  He signed a 1 year $660k deal with Philly and a 1 year $900k deal with the Jags, that's why.  Compare that to Kap, who was demanding $10 mil a year and recently as much as $20 mil.  The XFL tried to sign Kap and he demanded $20 mil a year.  Tebow understands and accepts his market value.  Kap, at best, insanely overvalues himself.  At worst, he has no real interest in playing and deliberately sets his price higher than anyone would be willing to pay in order to fool people into believing his martyr gimmick.
Reply/Quote
Who took this thread off the rails?

I thought it was about a FA center named Tretter??????????????????

If healthy and reasonable, would love to add him and move Karras to guard and would be a back up for center as well
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 02:35 PM)Whatever Wrote: You know why Tebow got multiple chances?  He signed a 1 year $660k deal with Philly and a 1 year $900k deal with the Jags, that's why.  Compare that to Kap, who was demanding $10 mil a year and recently as much as $20 mil.  The XFL tried to sign Kap and he demanded $20 mil a year.  Tebow understands and accepts his market value.  Kap, at best, insanely overvalues himself.  At worst, he has no real interest in playing and deliberately sets his price higher than anyone would be willing to pay in order to fool people into believing his martyr gimmick.

Agreed!  Tells you all you need to know about how bad Kap wants it.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 01:19 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Tebow & Kap are not in the same category as players. The idea that both were let go because of media circus issues is a pathetic excuse that is just plain wrong.

It’s almost like Tebow kept good working relationships and didn’t burn bridges, unlike Kap.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 06:40 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Don't think it's about him being the president of the NFLPA.

The Bengals signed Eric Winston while he was NFLPA President and kept signing him for 4 years.

He might just be one of those guys that aren't in a hurry.

- - - - - - - -

As for Kap, there seems to be a whooooooole lot of "forgetting" when it comes to him.

He threw for 59% completion, 6 TD/5 INT, 6.6 YPA, 78.5 QB Rating while going 2-6 in 2015 before having season-ending shoulder surgery. During the offseason he would also have both knee AND thumb surgery. He started 2016 on the bench because of the three surgeries, got back the starting job, and proceeded to lose 9 straight games, going 1-10 on the season.

HE then CHOSE to opt out of his contract with the 49ers. He wasn't cut/waived/released, he opted out. (There were rumors that he'd have been cut if he didn't opt out, but who knows if those were true, he chose to leave first.)

Even after ALL of that he was still about to be signed by the Ravens in 2017 before his girlfriend publicly compared the Ravens owner and Ray Lewis to a slave owner and his slave.

There's a whole lot more to it than "gets blackballed for taking a knee" and saying otherwise is disingenuous at best. The NFL has proven time and time again, if you're talented enough they will overlook all kinds of baggage. Once your talent no longer outweighs the baggage, they move on. I mean shit, Mike Vick went to prison for two years for fighting, hanging, and drowning dogs and NFL teams still signed him because he was already a multi-time Pro Bowler MVP-finalist who ran for over 1,000 yards at 8.4 yards per carry his last NFL before prison.

This to me is the most important thing people forget about when talking about Kap.

He didn't even start with a knee, he started by sitting on the bench for the anthem and his first time doing that was August 26, 2016 during a preseason game. 

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/ct-colin-kaepernick-timeline-liststory-20200607-b5gigmlp7jf53itj7d6xxdvgo4-list.html

When he was winning and the star in 2013 and 2014, he didn't say a word about any social issues and that was the time he should have done it. Instead, he waited till he was on the bench and potentially going to lose his job to speak out.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 03:20 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Who took this thread off the rails?

I thought it was about a FA center named Tretter??????????????????

If healthy and reasonable, would love to add him and move Karras to guard and would be a back up for center as well

The thread went off the rails since Tretter isn't really an option for the Bengals.

There have been several posts from those who cover the team saying the Bengals weren't in on him:

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 03:41 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: It’s almost like Tebow kept good working relationships and didn’t burn bridges, unlike Kap.

The reason Tebow did stick around longer was because he was genuinely a likeable good guy. Have you ever heard him say anything bad about anyone no matter where he is at in life?

He may have not had a hard life but sometimes being a positive, nice person can get you further than constantly disparaging everyone in your warpath. We’ve obviously seen that if your talent is at the top, the league will overlook your issues (Watson). Unfortunately for Kaepernick his quality of play happened to be it’s worst when he started his activism.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 04:31 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The thread went off the rails since Tretter isn't really an option for the Bengals.

There have been several posts from those who cover the team saying the Bengals weren't in on him:

There's always more we don't know (injuries maybe), but money seemed like the issue with Cleveland and their need to clear space. That was a legit issue when he was released, but the longer he remains a free agent, the lower his price should become. Has to be something more with the hard "no" to the Tretter interest (or lack there of). 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
The head of the players association has something to do with it. You would have to have your head buried in the sand otherwise. Yeah we signed Winston awhile back. Mike Brown and Al Davis were owners that generally didn't adhere to the unwritten rules of the majority of owners. As time marches on these owners are becoming more and more rare
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 05:47 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: The head of the players association has something to do with it. You would have to have your head buried in the sand otherwise. Yeah we signed Winston awhile back. Mike Brown and Al Davis were owners that generally didn't adhere to the unwritten rules of the majority of owners. As time marches on these owners are becoming more and more rare

Well and if he was the main contributor that convinced Browns not to attend OTAs, that flies directly in the face of how the Bengals are running their ship.
Reply/Quote