Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chase on th Burrow Contract...
(02-08-2023, 09:45 PM)pally Wrote: the only person who likes exclamation points more than I do   Cool

[Image: d2a4bd86-abf9-4d72-bcc3-c72050333a14_text.gif]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 09:23 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: You like living on that island don’t you?

Im not sure what you mean. Is a coconut bra involved?
Reply/Quote
I don’t know that this means Joe takes $30 million. He’s making $50 or close to it. I’m thinking it’s more structure and guarantees.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 11:12 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don’t know that this means Joe takes $30 million. He’s making $50 or close to it. I’m thinking it’s more structure and guarantees.

It could be similar to what Mahomes did which essentially was a 10 year deal for spreading the signing bonus out but in reality it’s a deal meant to be restructured after 3-4 years. It’ll look shocking on the surface with a big total number and annual amount but the cap hits will be very manageable then they renegotiate in a few years to adjust again.
Reply/Quote
I think Joe should get paid fairly. The front office needs to figure things out. Maybe Joe will take less to keep the team together. However, not Joe's problem.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
I'll believe it when the contract is signed. Until then, I'm just assuming a standard "record breaking" contract, which every new contract is nowadays. Somewhere around 51 to 52M AAV.

But we can all hope we have that 1 in a million QB who doesn't need a quarter of a billion dollars and would rather win games.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 07:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hmm, maybe...I'm not sure about WAY more.  I don't know how much Mahommes makes for the State Farm and Head and Shoulders commercials, but I'm not sure it is more than an extra $25-100 million guaranteed NFL bucks.

That's also assuming corporations recognize Burrow more with a SB ring.  Matt Stafford won the SB and so far all he's gotten are a few commercials woodenly hocking $6 pizzas and some bank(?) commercial.  I expect Burrow to take a team-friendly deal, but I don't think I could sell him on the idea of walking away from a bunch of guaranteed NFL salary for a possibly future deal shilling Subway or something.

Actually, Burrow should be doing commercials as it is.  Aaron Rodgers was hocking insurance before he won the SB and Baker Mayfield was in commercials while he was losing.

Let me put it this way...which bank account would you rather have?  Joe Burrow's or Flo from the Progressive ads?

That's not really a fair question, as very FEW people can do what Burrow does. 

Flo has a NW of about $6M, so for that majority of us peons, we'd take either. 

Also Joe will do endorsements, remember he plans to live off of them til retirement.
Reply/Quote
Joe will get his, not worried about that, and really not even sure why you guys are worried about him taking a team friendly deal or not.
We aren't married to Joe or his Agent, so we should all be rooting for keeping the weapons together.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 11:12 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don’t know that this means Joe takes $30 million. He’s making $50 or close to it. I’m thinking it’s more structure and guarantees.

I assume front loaded before Tee and Chase are free agents. Just a guess. 
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 06:46 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: [Elmore] #Bengals WR Ja’Marr Chase on @NFLNetwork’s #SuperBowl Live: “Joe (Burrow) knows how he wants to set his contract up to keep his weapons around him.” Says Burrow contract will work itself out.

We are so ***** back...

Not far down the road will be The Chase contract.  I'm sure Bengals want to resign Burrow and Chase and both will be huge increases from what they started out making.  So they are going to be increases to the salary cap, but Bengals know this. They may have to go cheaper or younger at other positions, but Bengals are going to keep Burrow to Chase, The LSU connection.  That is it.  They played together in college also, so their timing over the years is as perfect as you can get.  

So it's not just the Burrow contract this year, but the Chase contract probably next year.  Burrow will be one of the higher paid QBs and Chase will one one of the higher paid WR's.  

However if salaries around the NFL keep going up as they are, the NFL will need to increase the salary cap to adjust to the cost of living expense. You have these Mahomes and Watson type contracts and more will follow.  I look for one of the next owner meetings to increase the salary cap, and that will make it possible for Bengals and all other teams to keep more good players.  Of course the QB is the highest paid player on most teams, so NFL is going to have to raise the cap so teams can field quality teams.  Like most of America, The NFL salary cap needs a  cost of living adjustment with inflation and wage going up.  Raising the cap will be better for the teams, the players and mostly the fans. The NFL fans don't want to see all their teams break up because the salary cap stays too low.  So I look for owners to raise the cap, maybe at this upcoming owners meeting after Super Bowl.  That would help The Bengals and other teams keep their teams together more, and that would be better for fans of Bengals and other teams. The salaries have gone up, so NFL needs to increase the salary cap, it's that simple. All the young QBs from Lawrence to Chargers QB to Bears QB are going to want veteran wages when their rookie contracts end. The NFL is going to have to raise the cap.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
So if there are endorsements deals for a player they don’t count under the salary cap?
Reply/Quote
If Burrow is willing to take a team friendly deal then I hope he puts a clause in contract that says the team has to spend at the cap maximum every year under this contract top use their savings on him on players. A team friendly deal should benefit the team and not just ownership.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 01:59 AM)kevin Wrote: Not far down the road will be The Chase contract.  I'm sure Bengals want to resign Burrow and Chase and both will be huge increases from what they started out making.  So they are going to be increases to the salary cap, but Bengals know this. They may have to go cheaper or younger at other positions, but Bengals are going to keep Burrow to Chase, The LSU connection.  That is it.  They played together in college also, so their timing over the years is as perfect as you can get.  

So it's not just the Burrow contract this year, but the Chase contract probably next year.  Burrow will be one of the higher paid QBs and Chase will one one of the higher paid WR's.  

However if salaries around the NFL keep going up as they are, the NFL will need to increase the salary cap to adjust to the cost of living expense. You have these Mahomes and Watson type contracts and more will follow.  I look for one of the next owner meetings to increase the salary cap, and that will make it possible for Bengals and all other teams to keep more good players.  Of course the QB is the highest paid player on most teams, so NFL is going to have to raise the cap so teams can field quality teams.  Like most of America, The NFL salary cap needs a  cost of living adjustment with inflation and wage going up.  Raising the cap will be better for the teams, the players and mostly the fans. The NFL fans don't want to see all their teams break up because the salary cap stays too low.  So I look for owners to raise the cap, maybe at this upcoming owners meeting after Super Bowl.  That would help The Bengals and other teams keep their teams together more, and that would be better for fans of Bengals and other teams. The salaries have gone up, so NFL needs to increase the salary cap, it's that simple. All the young QBs from Lawrence to Chargers QB to Bears QB are going to want veteran wages when their rookie contracts end. The NFL is going  to have to raise the cap.

I heard several analysts on NFL radio talking about Burrow and several others. They did not expect Burrow or the others to want to sign deals for more than 4 years, because although the cap goes up this year about 8%, in the next couple of years they expect about a 20% increase due to the lost money from covid being made up, and also the money the gambling will bring in. A 10-year contract signed this year is not going to look good in a couple of years. I'm sure Joes agent is in tune to this info. But we know there is a fire in this young man to win, and I think he will do whatever it takes to make that happen. 
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 03:22 AM)wanga Wrote: So if there are endorsements deals for a player they don’t count under the salary cap?

NFL cap rules apply to what a player makes from the NFL, not what they get on the side doing endorsements.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 01:18 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: That's not really a fair question, as very FEW people can do what Burrow does. 

Flo has a NW of about $6M, so for that majority of us peons, we'd take either. 

Also Joe will do endorsements, remember he plans to live off of them til retirement.

I'm saying that Flo character is probably the most long term commercial gig people can think of and it's not a blip on the earning radar of being an NFL QB. If you are in the NFL unless you are going onto broadcasting your money is made in a short window on the field. 

Maybe burrow becomes the next Shaq and makes commercials for everything, though. 
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 09:18 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I heard several analysts on NFL radio talking about Burrow and several others. They did not expect Burrow or the others to want to sign deals for more than 4 years, because although the cap goes up this year about 8%, in the next couple of years they expect about a 20% increase due to the lost money from covid being made up, and also the money the gambling will bring in. A 10-year contract signed this year is not going to look good in a couple of years. I'm sure Joes agent is in tune to this info. But we know there is a fire in this young man to win, and I think he will do whatever it takes to make that happen. 

The gambling money is definitely going to change things. A lot of people are criticizing some of these ridiculous contracts. Some teams believe the gambling money is going to escalate the salary cap but my sources say the target is to increase rookie first contracts
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 10:35 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The gambling money is definitely going to change things. A lot of people are criticizing some of these ridiculous contracts. Some teams believe the gambling money is going to escalate the salary cap but my sources say the target is to increase rookie first contracts

It makes sense. Rookie contracts are kind of a cheat code to the NFL. Increase them, and I think it balances out more.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 07:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hmm, maybe...I'm not sure about WAY more.  I don't know how much Mahommes makes for the State Farm and Head and Shoulders commercials, but I'm not sure it is more than an extra $25-100 million guaranteed NFL bucks.

That's also assuming corporations recognize Burrow more with a SB ring.  Matt Stafford won the SB and so far all he's gotten are a few commercials woodenly hocking $6 pizzas and some bank(?) commercial.  I expect Burrow to take a team-friendly deal, but I don't think I could sell him on the idea of walking away from a bunch of guaranteed NFL salary for a possibly future deal shilling Subway or something.

Actually, Burrow should be doing commercials as it is.  Aaron Rodgers was hocking insurance before he won the SB and Baker Mayfield was in commercials while he was losing.

Let me put it this way...which bank account would you rather have?  Joe Burrow's or Flo from the Progressive ads?

While Peyton manning was playing he was making 25 mil a year just on endorsements...  Thats more than most NFL players make on their best contract
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 01:31 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I assume front loaded before Tee and Chase are free agents. Just a guess. 

Pick up his 5th year... Then the extension kicks in after that... 

Front load Tee as much as possible.   (while signing others).   Then you have Chases kick in after his 5th year option.
Reply/Quote
[Image: LdceJ36.jpg]
Reply/Quote