Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chase on th Burrow Contract...
Joe is going to get paid.....but he's smart enough to structure it right to leave some meat on the bones for his surrounding cast.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 10:50 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: While Peyton manning was playing he was making 25 mil a year just on endorsements...  Thats more than most NFL players make on their best contract

He's a bit of an anomaly.  Look, I hope Burrow plays for 15 bucks an hour, but I just don't see him leaving a bunch of money on the table because he's maybe going to be the new face of an insurance company. 

Maybe he will be.  Maybe the new NFL QB trend is that he takes less so he can make more in commercials.  I don't expect it, but it could be so
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 11:40 AM)Nately120 Wrote: He's a bit of an anomaly.  Look, I hope Burrow plays for 15 bucks an hour, but I just don't see him leaving a bunch of money on the table because he's maybe going to be the new face of an insurance company. 

Maybe he will be.  Maybe the new NFL QB trend is that he takes less so he can make more in commercials.  I don't expect it, but it could be so

Right hes gonna get paid... But when you making 35~ 40 mil a year do you really need 45~50 mil a year  lol

Seems like Joe has his sights on SB victories more so than Contract Victories (highest paid at position etc...)
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 11:50 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Right hes gonna get paid... But when you making 35~ 40 mil a year do you really need 45~50 mil a year  lol

Seems like Joe has his sights on SB victories more so than Contract Victories (highest paid at position etc...)

I don't know.  I rarely willingly turn down an extra 20 million bucks per year when given the option. 
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 12:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't know.  I rarely willingly turn down an extra 20 million bucks per year when given the option. 

I agree, for most people. We're talking about a guy on a mission to prove every single doubter of his wrong. I don't think you can totally overlook that aspect of his psyche. When asked about his high school state championship game, the only thing he was going to remember was an interception. He would remember it forever. This guy is a different animal. He is going to get paid, and get paid handsomely, but I think he'll structure it wisely for all parties involved. Including himself. He is honestly all about winning, while getting paid.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 12:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't know.  I rarely willingly turn down an extra 20 million bucks per year when given the option. 

Joe isn't an avg peon.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 11:40 AM)Nately120 Wrote: He's a bit of an anomaly.  Look, I hope Burrow plays for 15 bucks an hour, but I just don't see him leaving a bunch of money on the table because he's maybe going to be the new face of an insurance company. 

Joe could be making millions in endorsements but he's choosing to be very selective on which ones he's choosing.  I don't see that changing with his new contract.  

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 02:03 PM)pally Wrote: Joe could be making millions in endorsements but he's choosing to be very selective on which ones he's choosing.  I don't see that changing with his new contract.  

I think he's already up to 3m/yr on endorsements
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 12:43 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree, for most people. We're talking about a guy on a mission to prove every single doubter of his wrong. I don't think you can totally overlook that aspect of his psyche. When asked about his high school state championship game, the only thing he was going to remember was an interception. He would remember it forever. This guy is a different animal. He is going to get paid, and get paid handsomely, but I think he'll structure it wisely for all parties involved. Including himself. He is honestly all about winning, while getting paid.

I agree, I expect him to go friendly to win. I'm skeptical he's going to go friendly because he needs 3 SB rings to become the face of K Mart or something.  
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 01:45 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Joe isn't an avg peon.

Well let's look at it as a percentage then.  Would I take an extra ten to fifteen thousand dollars per year?  Yes I would.  Most people would.  Most people would say "I've earned this, this is the reward for my hard work" and we call that success.  I make more money now than I did two jobs ago and even before I got this higher salary I had food and shelter and money to blow on stupid stuff.  I didn't NEED this higher pay any more than Burrow NEEDS to get paid like a top tier QB.

I'm saying is that it's always amusing when people say "How much money does (person who isn't me) REALLY need?"  Whether it's sports or politics, it's always an interesting thing to discuss.

I believe Burrow will take an unreasonably friendly deal, but I'm also admitting that we, myself included, expecting him to just do so is showing some really delightful privilege on our part.
Reply/Quote
If this were a "Elizabeth Blackburn on the Burrow Contract..." thread I'd probably chime in with some !!!.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 02:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well let's look at it as a percentage then.  Would I take an extra ten to fifteen thousand dollars per year?  Yes I would.  Most people would.  Most people would say "I've earned this, this is the reward for my hard work" and we call that success.  I make more money now than I did two jobs ago and even before I got this higher salary I had food and shelter and money to blow on stupid stuff.  I didn't NEED this higher pay any more than Burrow NEEDS to get paid like a top tier QB.

I'm saying is that it's always amusing when people say "How much money does (person who isn't me) REALLY need?"  Whether it's sports or politics, it's always an interesting thing to discuss.

I believe Burrow will take an unreasonably friendly deal, but I'm also admitting that we, myself included, expecting him to just do so is showing some really delightful privilege on our part.

Still not the same.
Joe's gonna retire much younger than we can, and he will have 200m+ to do so with.
You, me and other avg peons, will need to work our entire lives to scratch/sniff to retire with even 1% of that number.

5-10m per year is not nearly the same to him as 5-10k/year to us.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 07:24 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Was he? I got curious. He won it in 2010 and those Discount Double Check ads started in mid-late 2012 from what I can find.

I agree with you, I doubt there's any way Burrow can make up $50-100m on sponsorships, because he's going to get some if he wants them regardless, so it isn't about his total sponsorships but how much more he could potentially get over normal with increased success. That'd be an awfully large increase.

Also, does Burrow even really do much sponsorship stuff? He isn't in the Heisman House and he seems like he's generally a pretty private guy off the field. Even if you want to do them, being outgoing and comfortable enough to be good in commercials is a big part of it, too. As evidenced by Mayfield who was good in the commercials even if they vastly outnumbered his on-field successes.

Im going to have to strongly disagree with this statement. I wanted to vomit every time I saw his face.
Reply/Quote
According to a cap expert, we can expect Joe's contract to look something like this.

Attached Files Image(s)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 02:49 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Still not the same.
Joe's gonna retire much younger than we can, and he will have 200m+ to do so with.
You, me and other avg peons, will need to work our entire lives to scratch/sniff to retire with even 1% of that number.

I agree, but what it comes down to is that he has the capacity to earn it, so we can relate in the sense that we may also be in situations where we don't need stuff we want.  Our whole society is based on acquiring stuff we don't need.  Plus, even peons can work for 10 years and then move to Thailand or something if they want to retire at 35.

An NFL QB could retire after his rookie contract.  I guess that's sort of what Paxton Lynch and other busts do, in theory.  We are peons compared to them, but there are people on this earth who wonder why we need as much money and space and property and extra crap that we have, too.  It's all relative.

So as an average schlub I have more than a lot of people on this planet have.  That's why I don't really get too invested in expecting someone like Burrow to turn down money because he doesn't need it.

If/when Burrow and Chase and Tee all turn down their deserved salaries, I expect they did it to WIN.  Not because they aren't greedy or because they're going to make beaucoups bucks shilling stuff later.  To win.  Easy enough.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 02:49 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Still not the same.

Right Joe could retire at the end of his Rookie contract and have more money than any of us will ever see...  and be set for generations if spent wisely.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 03:06 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Right Joe could retire at the end of his Rookie contract and have more money than any of us will ever see...  and be set for generations if spent wisely.

I was working gameday staff stuff for a baseball team over a decade ago, but I was "a representative" of a team so people would say stuff to me as if I had any sort of requirement to engage or debate professional sports.

Anyways, a guy walks up to my co worker and I and tells us if he owned a baseball team he'd only give out league minimum contracts, that way you'd know anyone who played for you really wanted to be there.  I told him that sounds a lot like the Pittsburgh Pirates.  END SCENE
Reply/Quote

He's looking past his second contract. When he signs his 3rd, it will be for a lot more if he has a Super Bowl win on his record. Money now, or more money down the road. More Super Bowls, more commercials and a higher value. 
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 03:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He's looking past his second contract. When he signs his 3rd, it will be for a lot more if he has a Super Bowl win on his record. Money now, or more money down the road. More Super Bowls, more commercials and a higher value. 

I get ya...I'm just saying I won't hold it against him if he wants more money now rather than 10+ years from now, because a bird in the hand and all that.  Plus, he saw someone almost die in front of him from playing football.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 09:19 AM)Sled21 Wrote: NFL cap rules apply to what a player makes from the NFL, not what they get on the side doing endorsements.

Strict guidelines on that allowance here in our major codes. 

What would stop the Bengals paying Joe 5M a year that counts under the cap and then a Vandelay Industries paying him 50M a year to be their ambassador?  
Reply/Quote