Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chase on th Burrow Contract...
(02-12-2023, 06:23 PM)Old Dipstick Wrote: How does KC do it? If they can can't we also? At this point even one or two PBers would be a drastic improvement.

Burrow has the talent to get Cinci to a SB win but he can't do it if hes flat on his back.

How many SBs has A. Rogers won since the Packers signed him to a MEGA contract? None, because they can't afford the players to get them there.

I’d say stubbornly refusing to draft him weapons for years also played a big part.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2023, 10:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d say stubbornly refusing to draft him weapons for years also played a big part.

Yup. 

They went 7 years (2015-2021) without taking a WR or TE in the first two rounds. During that span they used 8 picks in the first two rounds on DBs, but have only had a top-10 defense once since their SB win.

They also took Jordan Love instead of Tee Higgins. Lol. I think they're pretty poorly run, but they managed to get two HoF QBs back-to-back, so that covered up a lot of issues. Limited the valleys, but never allowed for many peaks.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2023, 06:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Sure, as long as I get Lilly...

Lilly is better looking, but she seems kinda of bitchy.

Xenomorph might find this interesting but Lilly played the voice for the female dwarf character in God of War Ragnorak
Reply/Quote
Super Bowl is over, time to sign Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2023, 11:55 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yup. 

They went 7 years (2015-2021) without taking a WR or TE in the first two rounds. During that span they used 8 picks in the first two rounds on DBs, but have only had a top-10 defense once since their SB win.

They also took Jordan Love instead of Tee Higgins. Lol. I think they're pretty poorly run, but they managed to get two HoF QBs back-to-back, so that covered up a lot of issues. Limited the valleys, but never allowed for many peaks.

I hear ya...I wouldn't sneeze at 2 SBs obviously, but the Packers are going down as a team with back to back "high end even for the HOF" HOF QBs over a span of 30 years with just that to show for it.  That's almost as amazing as spending 30 years with back to back HOF QBs in itself.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2023, 03:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not knocking Flo..that's my point.  Commercials don't pay as well as NFL QB salaries, so if Burrow takes less it's to win, not because he thinks having X number of SB rings will lead to him being the next Flo.

2 million a year isn't 51 million per year.  Of all the narratives we have going, the one where Burrow takes less money now because he can make it back making commercials is the one that requires the most speculation on our part.  But I get what you are saying. Amusingly, I have a song I wrote in like 10 minutes that got enough surprise instagram and tik tok reels to bring in not much money, but more than I expected to make seeing at it was 10 years after I made the song.  Money wise, that song made me about as much as I took in working in 2011.  I have a much better job now, if you were worried about me.
I wasn't intending to be rude to begin with, so, if that's how you took it, apologies. That's cool as hell about the song, congrats!
Though, a counterpoint:

I went and looked for what the top NFL endorsement earners made, Yahoo had an article this last September of the top 10 in the NFL's earnings and there's an article from Forbes further backing Brady's outlandish number which, at $52 Mil/year, does actually top the $51 Mil/year you suggested.

Now, Burrow is no Brady, no one is, but looking at the rest of the list? Mahomes was making $20 Mil/year (that's going to go up), Russell Wilson $14 Mil/year, Dak Prescott is getting $12 Mil/year?!? (HOW?! What has he done?!), Aaron Rodgers gets $11 Mil, none of that is chump change. 

Point is, there's great money out there in endorsements if the opportunities arise. I'm not even arguing that Burrow should take less because of it or anything like that, what he wants to do is his business, not mine. 

Sources:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/justinbirnbaum/2023/02/01/tom-brady-has-retired-again-heres-how-much-he-earned-in-his-career/ 

https://www.yahoo.com/video/15-nfl-players-most-money-191616252.html?
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2023, 10:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d say stubbornly refusing to draft him weapons for years also played a big part.

Kind of my point..if all you're left with is depending on the draft then you're doing something wrong.

The draft is IMO like playing the lottery. You never know what you are going to get. Mahomes went #10 in the 2017 draft. Go back and redo the 2017 draft knowing everything we know now and he'd be #1 by a long shot.

Mahomes wasn't sacked once during the 23 SB. Burrow was sacked seven times during the 22 SB, tying a Super Bowl record. Bengals lost SB 22 due to the oline.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 07:24 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Was he? I got curious. He won it in 2010 and those Discount Double Check ads started in mid-late 2012 from what I can find.

I agree with you, I doubt there's any way Burrow can make up $50-100m on sponsorships, because he's going to get some if he wants them regardless, so it isn't about his total sponsorships but how much more he could potentially get over normal with increased success. That'd be an awfully large increase.

Also, does Burrow even really do much sponsorship stuff? He isn't in the Heisman House and he seems like he's generally a pretty private guy off the field. Even if you want to do them, being outgoing and comfortable enough to be good in commercials is a big part of it, too. As evidenced by Mayfield who was good in the commercials even if they vastly outnumbered his on-field successes.

Tbh, I think he doesn't do many commercials by choice. Like you said, he's a private guy. I also don't think he's comfortable in front of cameras, period. He always seems a bit nervous and short on breath in interviews.

I think he just loves family and football. Then again, most people thought he got the veneers to be more marketable, but the more time goes on, the less it looks like he wants to be anything like State Farm boy and his social media addicted wife and brother.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2023, 06:23 PM)Old Dipstick Wrote: How does KC do it?

In another thread, Casear2727 posted an very informative article outlining the Mahomes contract. The title of the article was "Patrick Mahomes' Contract Structure is a Blessing for the Chiefs, Curse for the Rest of the NFL"

This was eye opening and shows how the Chiefs can pay the top QB in the league and still have great cap flexibility to surround him with a great team.

https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/gm-report/kansas-city-chiefs-patrick-mahomes-contract-restructuring-breakdown
Reply/Quote