Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chase on th Burrow Contract...
(02-09-2023, 04:22 PM)wanga Wrote: Strict guidelines on that allowance here in our major codes. 

What would stop the Bengals paying Joe 5M a year that counts under the cap and then a Vandelay Industries paying him 50M a year to be their ambassador?  

That's so carny...I love it.  Unfortunately, if that were legal the Broncos would be able to exploit it the most since they have all that wal mart family money to pay players off the books.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 05:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That's so carny...I love it.  Unfortunately, if that were legal the Broncos would be able to exploit it the most since they have all that wal mart family money to pay players off the books.

Yeah those figures obviously ridiculously skewed but the point if there can be 5 or 6M trimmed off a few contracts then that could matter. Obviously the league must have some governance over third party deals surely. 
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 01:59 AM)kevin Wrote: Not far down the road will be The Chase contract.  I'm sure Bengals want to resign Burrow and Chase and both will be huge increases from what they started out making.  So they are going to be increases to the salary cap, but Bengals know this. They may have to go cheaper or younger at other positions, but Bengals are going to keep Burrow to Chase, The LSU connection.  That is it.  They played together in college also, so their timing over the years is as perfect as you can get.  

So it's not just the Burrow contract this year, but the Chase contract probably next year.  Burrow will be one of the higher paid QBs and Chase will one one of the higher paid WR's.  

However if salaries around the NFL keep going up as they are, the NFL will need to increase the salary cap to adjust to the cost of living expense. You have these Mahomes and Watson type contracts and more will follow.  I look for one of the next owner meetings to increase the salary cap, and that will make it possible for Bengals and all other teams to keep more good players.  Of course the QB is the highest paid player on most teams, so NFL is going to have to raise the cap so teams can field quality teams.  Like most of America, The NFL salary cap needs a  cost of living adjustment with inflation and wage going up.  Raising the cap will be better for the teams, the players and mostly the fans. The NFL fans don't want to see all their teams break up because the salary cap stays too low.  So I look for owners to raise the cap, maybe at this upcoming owners meeting after Super Bowl.  That would help The Bengals and other teams keep their teams together more, and that would be better for fans of Bengals and other teams. The salaries have gone up, so NFL needs to increase the salary cap, it's that simple. All the young QBs from Lawrence to Chargers QB to Bears QB are going to want veteran wages when their rookie contracts end. The NFL is going to have to raise the cap.

The cap goes up every year. (except for Covid)

The owners and players association agree to it at each CBA, currently the players get 48% of revenue sharing profits.

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 04:22 PM)wanga Wrote: Strict guidelines on that allowance here in our major codes. 

What would stop the Bengals paying Joe 5M a year that counts under the cap and then a Vandelay Industries paying him 50M a year to be their ambassador?  

I'm not familiar with Vandelay Industries. Are they connected to the Bengals? If so, there may be rules, but I don't think Aaron Rodgers State Farm deal has anything to do with his contract or the cap. That's an outside gig.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2023, 10:42 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm not familiar with Vandelay Industries. Are they connected to the Bengals? If so, there may be rules, but I don't think Aaron Rodgers State Farm deal has anything to do with his contract or the cap. That's an outside gig.

Seinfeld reference..... Cool

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 09:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm pretty sure 8 years ago we were talking about how building the entire franchise around Jeremy Hill was the key to multiple SB wins. 

He did get a SB ring with the Patriots while on the injured reserve list.
Reply/Quote
Obviously we'll still need to see what happens, but I've personally never doubted Burrow will take a contract which helps BOTH sides.

I don't know what about Burrow's character people see, which would suggest he'll just rinse the team for his own $$$. Watch his Heisman speech and his general demeanour... he'll be aware of the bigger picture here. Even if he was solely all in on his own success and nobody else's, the legacy of winning Super Bowl(s) will make more a name of him than never winning it. That in itself leads to more $$$.

I think there's a real togetherness with this team as well. Burrow's a clever guy. At some point, the difference between $45m and $50m or whatever can't be TOO impactful on your life... whereas Burrow getting a few more seasons with Ja'marr and the rest might mean a lot more to him. Not just in terms of success on the field, but I think the team in general seems a good group of guys who get on.

Regardless of what he takes it'll be more challenging for the team than it is right now, but Burrow has done nothing but show us he wants to stay here for his career, and he wants to win across that whole time period as well. Perfect QB to have leading your team in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
My first thought upon reading the Chase uptempo was that hopefully Burrow really wants the team to extend Tee Higgins. If it’s financially feasible, that would be a great outcome.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
I just wonder if Burrow takes less, if he will put language in the contract that the team has to re-sign Higgins and Boyd.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2023, 12:47 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I just wonder if Burrow takes less, if he will put language in the contract that the team has to re-sign Higgins and Boyd.

I dont think that has ever been done before has it?  That would give Tee's tough agent a blank check.  I wouldn't mind seeing us draft Boyd's future replacement this year with UC WR Scott.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 07:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hmm, maybe...I'm not sure about WAY more.  I don't know how much Mahommes makes for the State Farm and Head and Shoulders commercials, but I'm not sure it is more than an extra $25-100 million guaranteed NFL bucks.

That's also assuming corporations recognize Burrow more with a SB ring.  Matt Stafford won the SB and so far all he's gotten are a few commercials woodenly hocking $6 pizzas and some bank(?) commercial.  I expect Burrow to take a team-friendly deal, but I don't think I could sell him on the idea of walking away from a bunch of guaranteed NFL salary for a possibly future deal shilling Subway or something.

Actually, Burrow should be doing commercials as it is.  Aaron Rodgers was hocking insurance before he won the SB and Baker Mayfield was in commercials while he was losing.

Let me put it this way...which bank account would you rather have?  Joe Burrow's or Flo from the Progressive ads?

Flo reportedly makes over 2 million a year. And that's a job where you don't have to take constant hits. I'd take 2 mil a year to shoot commercials. 

Commercial actors make more than you'd think. Not NFL QB money, but way more than you'd think. Friend I went to school with was in a Lowes commercial a couple years ago. Under 5 seconds of screen time, no speaking part, she made well over 50k and it kept going up depending on how often it aired. 
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 07:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hmm, maybe...I'm not sure about WAY more.  I don't know how much Mahommes makes for the State Farm and Head and Shoulders commercials, but I'm not sure it is more than an extra $25-100 million guaranteed NFL bucks.

That's also assuming corporations recognize Burrow more with a SB ring.  Matt Stafford won the SB and so far all he's gotten are a few commercials woodenly hocking $6 pizzas and some bank(?) commercial.  I expect Burrow to take a team-friendly deal, but I don't think I could sell him on the idea of walking away from a bunch of guaranteed NFL salary for a possibly future deal shilling Subway or something.

Actually, Burrow should be doing commercials as it is.  Aaron Rodgers was hocking insurance before he won the SB and Baker Mayfield was in commercials while he was losing.

Let me put it this way...which bank account would you rather have?  Joe Burrow's or Flo from the Progressive ads?

Can I have Flo?
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 11:40 AM)Nately120 Wrote: He's a bit of an anomaly.  Look, I hope Burrow plays for 15 bucks an hour, but I just don't see him leaving a bunch of money on the table because he's maybe going to be the new face of an insurance company. 

Maybe he will be.  Maybe the new NFL QB trend is that he takes less so he can make more in commercials.  I don't expect it, but it could be so

How about taking less so he can be in and win more Super Bowls??

Its much easier to make plays when you have 3 Pro Bowlers on the oline giving you the time to make those plays.  Burrow doesn't have any PBers on the oline. The two teams playing in the Super Bowl do have that.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2023, 02:25 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Can I have Flo?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2023, 02:25 PM)Old Dipstick Wrote: How about taking less so he can be in and win more Super Bowls??

Its much easier to make plays when you have 3 Pro Bowlers
on the oline giving you the time to make those plays.  Burrow doesn't have any PBers on the oline. The two teams playing in the Super Bowl do have that.

Burrow averaged having a cap hit of around $8m/yr his first 3 years in the NFL and had 0 Pro Bowlers on the OL. The Bengals OL roster was 24th, 27th, and 27th in AAV over those 3 years, and they stink at drafting with their 4 scouts.

Not sure how him being $45m/yr rather than $50m/yr is suddenly going to make the Bengals get 3 Pro Bowlers if they can't/won't do it when he was only ~$8m/yr.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2023, 02:17 PM)Ravage Wrote: Flo reportedly makes over 2 million a year. And that's a job where you don't have to take constant hits. I'd take 2 mil a year to shoot commercials. 

Commercial actors make more than you'd think. Not NFL QB money, but way more than you'd think. Friend I went to school with was in a Lowes commercial a couple years ago. Under 5 seconds of screen time, no speaking part, she made well over 50k and it kept going up depending on how often it aired. 

I'm not knocking Flo..that's my point.  Commercials don't pay as well as NFL QB salaries, so if Burrow takes less it's to win, not because he thinks having X number of SB rings will lead to him being the next Flo.

2 million a year isn't 51 million per year.  Of all the narratives we have going, the one where Burrow takes less money now because he can make it back making commercials is the one that requires the most speculation on our part.  But I get what you are saying. Amusingly, I have a song I wrote in like 10 minutes that got enough surprise instagram and tik tok reels to bring in not much money, but more than I expected to make seeing at it was 10 years after I made the song.  Money wise, that song made me about as much as I took in working in 2011.  I have a much better job now, if you were worried about me.

(02-12-2023, 03:09 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Burrow averaged having a cap hit of around $8m/yr his first 3 years in the NFL and had 0 Pro Bowlers on the OL. The Bengals OL roster was 24th, 27th, and 27th in AAV over those 3 years, and they stink at drafting with their 4 scouts.

Not sure how him being $45m/yr rather than $50m/yr is suddenly going to make the Bengals get 3 Pro Bowlers if they can't/won't do it when he was only ~$8m/yr.

That has to be going through Burrow's mind, too.  Dalton took a team friendly deal that was worth a lot less than Burrow will make, so we haven't had a QB eating up a lot of cap space since the Carson Palmer era.  We've had some talented teams, but the OL is the point, here.  We had from 2011 to 2022 with Dalton and Burrow on rookie/friendly deals to build this o-line.  It will be easier if Burrow takes less, but Burrow going from a rookie contract to a friendly one that is still almost 6 times what his prior contract was doesn't exactly mean we can fix things. Regardless of what Burrow makes, we still have a lot less room than we have had in the past 12 years.

We're going to have a better line now.  Why?  Because Burrow is making a lot more money than he used to make, but it's not as much as he COULD be making.

Ehh...maybe.  Again, I expect Burrow to take a team friendly deal because of who he is, not because of commercials, or some sort of fear that if he got his fair salary he'd be an elite QB with an XFL squad around him.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2023, 02:25 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Can I have Flo?

Sure, as long as I get Lilly...
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2023, 03:09 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Burrow averaged having a cap hit of around $8m/yr his first 3 years in the NFL and had 0 Pro Bowlers on the OL. The Bengals OL roster was 24th, 27th, and 27th in AAV over those 3 years, and they stink at drafting with their 4 scouts.

How does KC do it? If they can can't we also? At this point even one or two PBers would be a drastic improvement.

Burrow has the talent to get Cinci to a SB win but he can't do it if hes flat on his back.

How many SBs has A. Rogers won since the Packers signed him to a MEGA contract? None, because they can't afford the players to get them there.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2023, 11:20 AM)Wyche Wrote: Seinfeld reference..... Cool

I betcha the J Peterman Co. Would go in as well 
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2023, 12:47 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I just wonder if Burrow takes less, if he will put language in the contract that the team has to re-sign Higgins and Boyd.

If Tee and Boyd worried him that much he’d just not sign a contract we offer unless they are signed i don’t see why he’d put it in his contract.
-Housh
Reply/Quote