Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chase speaks on drops...
(09-10-2021, 11:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: https://stripehype.com/2018/04/02/john-ross-working-juju-smith-schuster/

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/5/30/17406208/john-ross-his-relationship-marvin-lewis-mysterious-shoulder-injury

https://www.bengals.com/news/john-ross-vows-to-believe-in-himself

I was encouraged by his work ethic.

Fair enough. I honestly didn’t remember him doing much other than working with TJ at one point.

But you know what? He still ain’t John Ross. Chase proved himself against the top competition in the country (SEC & playoffs), never had an injury history in college (Ross did), and didn’t have an issue with drops in college (Ross did iirc). Chase otoh only had 5 during that entire 2019 run.

I get it, we all have Ross PTSD. But I think some of you were just a little too quick to go there with the Ja’Marr Ross stuff. But I can’t say I’m that surprised after how contentious the “Civil War” debates got. I just hope people are truly rooting for the kid at this point, and not just dying to be “right.”
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2021, 11:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t know how anyone could not be encouraged by a good work ethic. The guy certain posters keep comparing him to was in the coaches doghouse from day one. You never heard about how hard he was working to get through his issues. That’s not the case here.

I don't recall anyone criticizing Ross's work ethic. His ability to make plays, yes. Maybe his desire. But I don't remember anyone saying Ross didn't have a good work ethic.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2021, 11:40 PM)Benton Wrote: I don't recall anyone criticizing Ross's work ethic. His ability to make plays, yes. Maybe his desire. But I don't remember anyone saying Ross didn't have a good work ethic.

Marvin can deny that he had a “doghouse” all he wants, but he had Ross in his almost immediately. You don’t bench a WR over one fumble on a end around on their very first play. There was obviously more to it than that.

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2021, 11:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Marvin can deny that he had a “doghouse” all he wants, but he had Ross in his almost immediately. You don’t bench a WR over one fumble on a end around on their very first play. There was obviously more to it than that.

Well, we used to say that Marvin was our GM or should be our GM, so the guy didn't want Ross and then got Ross and then Ross didn't do much whether Marvin played him or not. 
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2021, 11:01 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Should and Ross go hand in hand, though.

2017 -  Ross SHOULD be on the field
2018 -  Ross SHOULD be better now that he's healthy
2019 -  Ross SHOULD be better now that he has a HC who won't refuse to use him
2020 -  Ross SHOULD be better now that he has a better QB who will get in his face if he blows it
2021 -  Ross SHOULD have been cut by the Giants

As of now Chase SHOULD be fine and SHOULD be able to catch the ball and SHOULD prove the doubters wrong.  Bring on the real fartball season!

Sig bet?

I'm tired of all the fatmouthing going on. 

You?
Bfine?
Anyone?
Bueller? Bueller?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2021, 11:59 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Sig bet?

You?
Bfine?
Anyone?
Bueller? Bueller?

Yes.  I bet Chase is the best WR on the team this year and if he isn't you have to have a sig that says "I was right about Chase, but I'm a pessimistic downer."

Also, we need to bring back the Richard Simmons pictures for this.  Those were classic. 
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2021, 11:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, we used to say that Marvin was our GM or should be our GM, so the guy didn't want Ross and then got Ross and then Ross didn't do much whether Marvin played him or not. 

From what I recall, Marvin wanted rueben foster...who wouldn't have been a good pick either but was overruled. Probably why he hated Ross from the beginning...and rightfully so
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2021, 11:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Fair enough. I honestly didn’t remember him doing much other than working with TJ at one point.

But you know what? He still ain’t John Ross. Chase proved himself against the top competition in the country (SEC & playoffs), never had an injury history in college (Ross did), and didn’t have an issue with drops in college (Ross did iirc). Chase otoh only had 5 during that entire 2019 run.

I get it, we all have Ross PTSD. But I think some of you were just a little too quick to go there with the Ja’Marr Ross stuff. But I can’t say I’m that surprised after how contentious the “Civil War” debates got. I just hope people are truly rooting for the kid at this point, and not just dying to be “right.”

Ross didn’t have much of a drops issue. In fact, his hands were listed as a strength. He had six drops over his final two years. A lot of people still claim that Ross was a bad prospect (not saying you are) but Ross was really, really good that final season in college. He cooked some NFL talent, like Adoree Jackson (8 catches, 154 yards and a score). He looked like he had everything to be successful and none of it panned out.

I don’t think Chase is a Ross clone by any means and he is undoubtedly a better prospect. He just has to make sure he doesn’t fall into any of the mental pit falls that got ahold of Ross. Both of these guys have all of the physical talent in the world, but it’s more than that.

All of that being said, I supported Ross for three seasons. I’m not worried about Chase, he has plenty of time and ai think he’s going to be really good.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2021, 11:59 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Sig bet?

You?
Bfine?
Anyone?
Bueller? Bueller?

Why would any Bengal fan want to make a sig bet that Chase doesn't do well?

Of course that doesn't change how he's looked this preseason or why he can't see the NFL football

Be tired of the "fatmouthing" all you want; I'd imagine you're tired of folks saying Chase will be fine given what we've seen and heard to date. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2021, 12:14 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Ross didn’t have much of a drops issue. In fact, his hands were listed as a strength. He had six drops over his final two years. A lot of people still claim that Ross was a bad prospect (not saying you are) but Ross was really, really good that final season in college. He cooked some NFL talent, like Adoree Jackson (8 catches, 154 yards and a score). He looked like he had everything to be successful and none of it panned out.

I don’t think Chase is a Ross clone by any means and he is undoubtedly a better prospect. He just has to make sure he doesn’t fall into any of the mental pit falls that got ahold of Ross. Both of these guys have all of the physical talent in the world, but it’s more than that.

All of that being said, I supported Ross for three seasons. I’m not worried about Chase, he has plenty of time and ai think he’s going to be really good.

Ah ok, l’ll take your word on it with you regularly watching the PAC 12. He did have the injury history going back to college though. So there was at least a slight concern with that pick right off the bat.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2021, 12:15 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Why would any Bengal fan want to make a sig bet that Chase doesn't do well?

Of course that doesn't change how he's looked this preseason or why he can't see the NFL football

Be tired of the "fatmouthing" all you want; I'd imagine you're tired of folks saying Chase will be fine given what we've seen and heard to date. 

Why would anyone be tired of that? Wtf is wrong with trying to remain positive? Or using 2 years of play in the SEC as a better sample size than 5 targets in 3 preseason games?

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2021, 12:23 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why would anyone be tired of that? Wtf is wrong with trying to remain positive? Or using 2 years of play in the SEC as a better sample size than 5 targets in 3 preseason games?

Well in one of those 2 SEC seasons he had 23 catches for 313 yards and 3 TDs.

Nothing wrong with being positive; I haven't challenged any positive person to a "sig bet", but what's wrong with pointing out that he's been absolute garbage this preseason? Everyone who follows the NFl has noticed and remarked on it.. 

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2021, 12:29 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Well in one of those 2 SEC seasons he had 23 catches for 313 yards and 3 TDs.

Nothing wrong with being positive; I haven't challenged any positive person to a "sig bet", but what's wrong with pointing out that he's been absolute garbage this preseason? Everyone who follows the NFl has noticed and remarked on it.. 

Yeah, as a true freshman on a team that didn’t throw a lot. Justin Jefferson’s stats from that season we’re hardly eye popping either.

As for the bold, I think it’s been well covered at this point, no? Dead Horse

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2021, 12:18 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ah ok, l’ll take your word on it with you regularly watching the PAC 12. He did have the injury history going back to college though. So there was at least a slight concern with that pick right off the bat.

Yeah, he was definitely fragile and the PAC certainly isn’t as deep as the SEC so he didn’t face top competition. He did play Bama, but didn’t do much. Five catches for 28 yards. That whole team was outmatched, though.

Regardless, he was a hyper athletic WR that ended up lacking the mental fortitude and durability to make a lasting impact in the NFL. There’s no real injury history to speak of with Chase but he’s being tested mentally right now. I believe in the guy and I’m excited to watch him this weekend.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2021, 12:34 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, as a true freshman on a team that didn’t throw a lot. Justin Jefferson’s stats from that season we’re hardly eye popping either.

As for the bold, I think it’s been well covered at this point, no? Dead Horse

Well you were the one that brought up 2 years in the SEC, not me..

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2021, 12:55 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Well you were the one that brought up 2 years in the SEC, not me..

Right, and I choose to focus on his record setting second year as opposed to his first. See the difference between us here?

Reply/Quote
If the NFL had walk out music like MLB, Chase's song could be "Oops, I did it again". Hilarious

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2021, 12:05 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: From what I recall, Marvin wanted rueben foster...who wouldn't have been a good pick either but was overruled. Probably why he hated Ross from the beginning...and rightfully so

Marvin Lewis didn’t want Chris Henry back either. As for Reuben Foster he would have been an outstanding pick if Mike Zimmer was still the defensive coordinator; I look at how Zimmer mentored Vontaze Burfict.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2021, 09:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s nothing like Ross in that regard. If anything, he came in a little too confident in his abilities (especially after a year off). This has likely humbled him a bit though, and he’s definitely putting in the work.

I'm not co-signing the Ross comparisons yet, either. Ross was a big reach, had red flags and was poor, in my opinion, at every turn. Chase han't even lined up in a real game yet. I have concerns, but being in Ross realms would take years to reach. ( Aside from him getting mad about something and him punching Burrow in the mouth ). 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2021, 08:46 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If the NFL had walk out music like MLB, Chase's song could be "Oops, I did it again".   Hilarious

Nah.

X Ambassadors Unsteady

Quote:Hold, hold on, hold onto me

'Cause I'm a little unsteady
A little unsteady
Hold, hold on, hold onto me
'Cause I'm a little unsteady
A little unsteady
Reply/Quote