Poll: At pick #5, who would you rather have?
Penei Sewell
Ja'Marr Chase
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chase vs. Sewell
I am curious to the opinions of the board if both Sewell and Chase are available at #5. I didn't include a trade down option because of the specifics needed and not knowing who would be available later.

I voted Chase. I see him as a future HOF talent and we lost that with Green. I think he would make everything on the offense work better. There are still tackles that could be there at the top of Rd 2 that would be instant starters on the right side. Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Completely depends on what we do in FA. Did we bring in a top OT like Moton or Williams?

I don’t want a day 2 rookie OT protecting Burrow coming off an injury.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 11:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am curious to the opinions of the board if both Sewell and Chase are available at #5.  I didn't include a trade down option because of the specifics needed and not knowing who would be available later.

I voted Chase.  I see him as a future HOF talent and we lost that with Green.  I think he would make everything on the offense work better. There are still tackles that could be there at the top of Rd 2 that would be instant starters on the right side.  Thoughts?

I would have added Smith since he fits our schemes and need better.. but all in on Sewell regardless who you put in poll
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 11:25 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I would have added Smith since he fits our schemes and need better.. but all in on Sewell regardless who you put in poll

I’d be curious to hear the specifics for this claim?

Reply/Quote
This was tough. I voted Sewell because it seems whoever the Bengals bring in FA, they get freakin injured. Have to protect Burrow. There is a chance that both will be gone by #5. You are looking at Slater vs. Pitts. Another tough one.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Went with Sewell here. I like Pitts as much as Chase.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 12:24 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: This was tough. I voted Sewell because it seems whoever the Bengals bring in FA, they get freakin injured. Have to protect Burrow. There is a chance that both will be gone by #5. You are looking at Slater vs. Pitts. Another tough one.

It isn’t that hard because Jonah is a good LT and will most likely improve. I don’t think Slater will make a good RT but would be a really good guard, so you have to weigh that against a guy who many(including myself) consider to be an elite to generational talent in Pitts.

I’ll never be upset with selecting a player to protect the franchise, but the franchise also needs incredible pass catchers too
Reply/Quote
I think it depends a lot on what we do in free agency. The WR and OL classes are exceptionally deep in this draft. https://theathletic.com/2332366/2021/01/21/top-100-nfl-draft-board-by-dane-brugler-alabama-has-one-tenth-of-top-prospects/ has 16 WRs in the top 100, 10 OTs, 9 OGs and 2 OCs. Compared to other positions, there are 5 RBs, 13 Edge Defenders, 8 DTs, 11 CBs, 9 LBs, 6 QBs, 4 TEs and 7 Safeties. That makes WRs and a blanket "Olinemen" the two deepest classes this year by a comfortable margin (even if you don't include those 2 OCs, that's still 19 OLinemen that we'd be interested in).

So it's not like if we don't take a WR at 5 we lose out on WRs just like if we don't take Sewell (or Slater) at 5, we lose out on offensive linemen.

If we don't address the Oline in any way in free agency (other than re-signing Spain and then adding a low end guy for competition somewhere), then I think Sewell is the answer 100% of the time. Then I'd say we should double dip sometime in the 2nd to 4th round, depending on value.

But if we sign, say, Thuney and maybe Daryl Williams (he had a phenomenal "prove it" year in Buffalo, so I don't know how much his stock improved from last year, but in 2020 he played for a measly 2.25 million dollars with Buffalo. If we can get him for 10 million a year or less, I think it'd be a steal), then I say let it rip and get Chase. Even if we only sign one of the two mentioned here, I'd be open to Chase, although I think it would be prudent to over-invest in OL this year since Burrow is coming off an injury, especially with the amount of cap space we have this year.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 11:25 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I would have added Smith since he fits our schemes and need better.. but all in on Sewell regardless who you put in poll

(02-01-2021, 12:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d be curious to hear the specifics for this claim?

[Image: giphy-downsized-medium.gif]

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 12:34 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: It isn’t that hard because Jonah is a good LT and will most likely improve. I don’t think Slater will make a good RT but would be a really good guard, so you have to weigh that against a guy who many(including myself) consider to be an elite to generational talent in Pitts.

I’ll never be upset with selecting a player to protect the franchise, but the franchise also needs incredible pass catchers too

JW may improve but his PFF rating is average at best; but more importantly, he has played in only 10 games in two seasons.  Not stable situation for OL.  Slater can play all 5 OL good and some great.  He would be great at either OT in some evaluator's opinion.  

But I agree with you in that Pitts is tempting.  There is risk with him as well though.  But He would bring another level for weapons for Burrow.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 11:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am curious to the opinions of the board if both Sewell and Chase are available at #5.  I didn't include a trade down option because of the specifics needed and not knowing who would be available later.

I voted Chase.  I see him as a future HOF talent and we lost that with Green.  I think he would make everything on the offense work better. There are still tackles that could be there at the top of Rd 2 that would be instant starters on the right side.  Thoughts?

To me this is a no-brainer,always pick the player that will score points for you and chase is the BEST OF THE receivers coming out this year and he and Joe will make gold this season.This guy is a winner and do not pass him up.There is a ton of OLINE MEN  in this draft and sewell is a top player,but he does not score points,CHASE DOES and with him we will be LETHAL.Do not pass on this guy.Him and Joe Burrow will make history.

Some folks on here say Sewell is kinda lazy at times and has to be pushed.And a lot of players that come from the far west coast get homesick and that will effect the team.Do not pass on CHASE,IT will be a huge mistake.There are a ton of very top linemen in this draft and only ONE CHASE.Always take the playmaker,the name of the game is to outscore the other guy and with CHASE WE WILL.Him and Joe will be unstoppable.
Reply/Quote
Of the 2 options provided: SEWELL
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 04:16 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: To me this is a no-brainer,always pick the player that will score points for you and chase is the BEST OF THE receivers coming out this year and he and Joe will make gold this season.This guy is a winner and do not pass him up.There is a ton of OLINE MEN  in this draft and sewell is a top player,but he does not score points,CHASE DOES and with him we will be LETHAL.Do not pass on this guy.Him and Joe Burrow will make history.

Some folks on here say Sewell is kinda lazy at times and has to be pushed.And a lot of players that come from the far west coast get homesick and that will effect the team.Do not pass on CHASE,IT will be a huge mistake.There are a ton of very top linemen in this draft and only ONE CHASE.Always take the playmaker,the name of the game is to outscore the other guy and with CHASE WE WILL.Him and Joe will be unstoppable.

I’ve literally never seen accusations of Sewell being “lazy.” Where are you getting that from?

Reply/Quote
Sewell, and it's a no brainer. There are lots of great WR's out there, but top quality tackles are hard to find, and the college programs aren't producing them anymore.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 04:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Sewell, and it's a no brainer. There are lots of great WR's out there, but top quality tackles are hard to find, and the college programs aren't producing them anymore.

I agree.. the risk vs reward is too great with passing on Sewell and for those that say but if we added a couple lineman in FA why draft Sewell.. because we still need more to fill 5 positions.
Reply/Quote
Completely depends a lot on what we do in free agency. Based on what I expect to happen they better draft Sewell. If they are lucky enough to have a chance.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 12:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d be curious to hear the specifics for this claim?

Crazy.  We need one of the smallest and most fragile players to fit our scheme vs. a do-all ALpha like Chase??
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 04:16 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: To me this is a no-brainer,always pick the player that will score points for you and chase is the BEST OF THE receivers coming out this year and he and Joe will make gold this season.This guy is a winner and do not pass him up.There is a ton of OLINE MEN  in this draft and sewell is a top player,but he does not score points,CHASE DOES and with him we will be LETHAL.Do not pass on this guy.Him and Joe Burrow will make history.

With you 100%.  I think those calling for Pitts are crazy.  He doesn't generate immediate separation like Chase.  He doesn't command a cushion like Chase.  He doesn't take the top off the defense like Chase.  Teams are getting thrashed by KC because of their weapons.  I love Chase and would take him in a heartbeat.

Everyone is raving about Sewell, but I would much rather have Chase and get my RT in the 2nd round.  

That being said, I get what everyone is saying about FA.  I would hope for a FA like Moton and then still draft a RT in Rd 2 to develop and, hopefully, move Moton inside.  
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 11:25 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I would have added Smith since he fits our schemes and need better.. but all in on Sewell regardless who you put in poll

The Bengals specifically added in schemes from the LSU offense for Joe Burrow...who just happened to throw to Chase. How does Smith fit better?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 05:41 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Crazy.  We need one of the smallest and most fragile players to fit our scheme vs. a do-all ALpha like Chase??

You're just kinda making up that fragile part aren't ya?

And what makes Chase a "do everything"? His punt return skills?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote