Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chewbacca mom accused of white privilege
(06-15-2016, 08:49 PM)GMDino Wrote: If a black man is afraid in MS and AL...while driving during the day...that's just more proof of white privilege.

Thanks.

So then white people being afraid of black people is proof of black privilege. Kewl.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(06-15-2016, 09:59 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: So then white people being afraid of black people is proof of black privilege. Kewl.

Yeah, it's kind of hard to argue against some "logic".

White man locks door because of black folk = White Privilege

Black man locks door because of white folk = White Privilege 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-15-2016, 09:59 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: So then white people being afraid of black people is proof of black privilege. Kewl.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-15-2016, 10:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah, it's kind of hard to argue against some "logic".

White man locks door because of black folk = White Privilege

Black man locks door because of white folk = White Privilege 

[Image: passive%20aggressive%20caution_1.jpg?itok=3U9E4m6_]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-15-2016, 12:32 PM)PhilHos Wrote: There IS, however, wealth privilege and I bet you any amount of Monopoly money that every supposed example of white privilege is actually wealth privilege.

No you are wrong.

There have been many studies that show that just having a name that "sounds" black will get you fewer options for places to live.  Not opinion.  Actual scientific studies.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/racism-blacks-found-airbnb-study-article-1.2462805

Here is a scientific study that show that people with "white sounding names get 50% more call backs on identical resumes submitted for jobs

http://www.uh.edu/~adkugler/Bertrand&Mullainathan.pdf

White privilege is common knowledge.  Like a previous post said, pretty much the only ones who deny it are white racists.
(06-15-2016, 10:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No you are wrong.

There have been many studies that show that just having a name that "sounds" black will get you fewer options for places to live.  Not opinion.  Actual scientific studies involving interactions over tthe phone.

And that is just onbe example.  Many posts fromn the old board proved that many people who posted there considered black people more dangerous and violent than white people.

Was there any actual "scientific" studies to support this or just opinions? 

(06-15-2016, 10:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Was there any actual "scientific" studies to support this or just opinions? 

Studies have been done on it, but they could probably simply be classified as deductive and subjective pap conducted by liberal elitist d-bags who just want to make white people look like big ol' poopy heads.

EDIT: I'm referring to this first part of his post, not the part you bolded.

There have been many studies that show that just having a name that "sounds" black will get you fewer options for places to live.  Not opinion.  Actual scientific studies.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/racism-blacks-found-airbnb-study-article-1.2462805

Here is a scientific study that show that people with "white sounding names get 50% more call backs on identical resumes submitted for jobs

White privilege is common knowledge.  Like a previous post said, pretty much the only ones who deny it are white racists.

Having the first name Tyrone has never hampered my job or home options.  
(06-15-2016, 11:15 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Having the first name Tyrone has never hampered my job or home options.  

I have an uncle that that has smoked his whole life and has no heart or lung damage.

Does that prove smoking is not bad for your heart and lungs?

Plus you have no way of knowing if it effected your home options.  You may have been given more options by the realtor if your name was Brad.
(06-15-2016, 11:15 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Having the first name Tyrone has never hampered my job or home options.  

Is this true? I'm asking because one of my best friends is a white guy from Ohio, who has a similar sounding name to yours and he actually joked to me that he could see relief on the faces of his white girlfriend (at the time)'s parents, when they actually met him for the first time. Your statement just reminded me of that story.

I'll call bullshit on your name actually being Tyrone
People suck
(06-16-2016, 10:31 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I have an uncle that that has smoked his whole life and has no heart or lung damage.

Does that prove smoking is not bad for your heart and lungs?

Plus you have no way of knowing if it effected your home options.  You may have been given more options by the realtor if your name was Brad.

No I wouldn't have...  Besides you don't need a realtor to search for available homes.  Most of the searching is done on the internet.  
(06-16-2016, 03:21 PM)Griever Wrote: I'll call bullshit on your name actually being Tyrone

Well if you were one of my Facebook friends here you would know.   

Maybe one of those guys will pipe in here.  

And btw I go by Ty.   
(06-16-2016, 03:37 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Well if you were one of my Facebook friends here you would know.   

Maybe one of those guys will pipe in here.  

And btw I go by Ty.   

theres enough hate in the world, i wouldnt want to subject my facebook to actually willingly seeing it
People suck
(06-16-2016, 03:57 PM)Griever Wrote: theres enough hate in the world, i wouldnt want to subject my facebook to actually willingly seeing it

You called dude a liar; yet, don't want see his facebook, because of hate in the world.

Makes sense.

First, this study is about short term rentals, not finding a place to live. It's about AirBNB. Secondly, the study says it doesn't matter if the renter was black or white. Both races were less likely to rent or call back black sounding names. So how is a black renter not calling back an applicant with a black sounding name an example of white privilege? Again, white privilege is a made up concept.
(06-16-2016, 09:05 PM)Beaker Wrote: First, this study is about short term rentals, not finding a place to live. It's about AirBNB. Secondly, the study says it doesn't matter if the renter was black or white. Both races were less likely to rent or call back black sounding names. So how is a black renter not calling back an applicant with a black sounding name an example of white privilege? Again, white privilege is a made up concept.

Individuals can rent to whomever they want and can discriminate at will.   Only professionals are bound to not discriminate.   In Florida it's race, colour, sex, religion, disabled, and pregnant women.  

It should also be noted that most self landlords are more restrictive because they don't pay a service to run a background check. 
(06-16-2016, 09:05 PM)Beaker Wrote:  Both races were less likely to rent or call back black sounding names. So how is a black renter not calling back an applicant with a black sounding name an example of white privilege? 

The color of the apartment owner has zero to do with the privilege given to people with "white" names.  It doesn't matter who gives the privilege.  The privilege still exists.

(06-16-2016, 09:05 PM)Beaker Wrote:  Again, white privilege is a made up concept.

Again you fail at simple logic.

Now what about this study?

(06-17-2016, 12:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Now what about this study?

It's old as hell.

(06-17-2016, 01:02 AM)bfine32 Wrote: It's old as hell.

Here is a peer-reviewed study from Auburn in 2014 regarding job applications and race:

http://cla.auburn.edu/econwp/archives/2014/2014-06.pdf

An Examination of Racial Discrimination in the Labor Market for Recent College Graduates: Estimates from the Field 

John M. Nunley,∗ Adam Pugh,† Nicholas Romero,‡and R. Alan Seals§ March 24, 2014¶ 

Abstract:
We present experimental evidence from a correspondence test of racial discrimination in the labor market for recent college graduates. Online job advertisements were answered with over 9,000 resumes from fictitious, recently-graduated job seekers. We find strong evidence of differential treatment by race: black applicants receive approximately 14 percent fewer interview requests than their otherwise identical white counterparts. The racial gap in employment opportunities increases as perceived productivity characteristics are added, which is difficult to reconcile with models of statistical discrimination. We investigate different channels through which the observed racial differences might occur and conclude that taste-based discrimination at the race-skill level is the most likely explanation. The racial differences identified operate primarily through customer-level discrimination.