Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stop underestimating our receivers
(09-09-2017, 10:03 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

That's pretty crazy that the Patriots and Seahawks, winners of 3 of the last 4 SBs, have made a combined 3 picks in the first round in the last 5 years.

It's really a testament to both of their teams' General Management.  They target players with very specific skill sets, to fill specific roles in their teams' respective schemes.  Neither is afraid to not have a 1st round selection, because they're not "rolling the dice" with selections, they're choosing players that they are pretty sure will fit in immediately.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2017, 10:37 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's really a testament to both of their teams' General Management.  They target players with very specific skill sets, to fill specific roles in their teams' respective schemes.  Neither is afraid to not have a 1st round selection, because they're not "rolling the dice" with selections, they're choosing players that they are pretty sure will fit in immediately.

Psh, who needs players like Jimmy Graham and Brandin Cooks when you can have Cedric Ogbuehi and Darqueze Dennard.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Do we ever underestimate our receivers? We routinely declare guys like Armon Binns, Jerome Simpson, Denarius Moore, Jeff Kumerow and that Salmonize guy will be uncoverable. Most of the time we go into a season wondering how NFL defenses are possibly going to stop all of our offensive weapons.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2017, 01:25 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Do we ever underestimate our receivers?  We routinely declare guys like Armon Binns, Jerome Simpson, Denarius Moore, Jeff Kumerow and that Salmonize guy will be uncoverable.  Most of the time we go into a season wondering how NFL defenses are possibly going to stop all of our offensive weapons.

At least this season, we don't have to wonder how.  They will just walk through the OL..  Ninja

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2017, 02:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: At least this season, we don't have to wonder how.  They will just walk through the OL..  Ninja

You may be correct or wrong. We play 1 of the best front sevens in football tomorrow so an early test for our OL
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2017, 03:21 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You may be correct or wrong. We play 1 of the best front sevens in football tomorrow so an early test for our OL

Yeah, we will see. Not one sack all Preseason with our 1's and we ran the ball much better than last year in Preseason.

Hope Sunset is wrong about the O-line, so far it has been better than i thought it would.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2017, 03:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, we will see. Not one sack all Preseason with our 1's and we ran the ball much better than last year in Preseason.

Hope Sunset is wrong about the O-line, so far it has been better than i thought it would.

We'll find out what the O-line is all about tomorrow. And if Andy has enough time to utilize our WR's.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 02:44 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: We're not talking about FA or even the Bengals. We are talking about what is the best way to draft. He was claiming "the best teams draft for need especially in the top 2-3 rounds", and I showed the best team in the AFC the past few years (Patriots) doesn't do it, and the best team in the NFC the past few years (Seahawks) doesn't do it either.

Lol.  Yes they do. 

Pats

9 Out of the last 9  Pats first round picks played significant time as rookies, and most started  as rookies:

Malcom Brown, Easley, Hightower, Chandler JOnes, Solder, McCourtey, Mayo, Meriweather, Maroney, Mankins

The rest, they traded for players - Like Cooks - who come in.....wait for it, and Start.  All in POSITIONS OF NEED.  

Seahawks

5 out of the last 5 Seahawks picks have all played significant time as rookies, and most started

Ifedi, Irvin, Carpenter. Earl Thomas, Okung

the rest of the picks they never selected on, have been parts of trades or deals to bring in other players to fit a POSITION OF NEED - Like Graham.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2017, 03:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, we will see. Not one sack all Preseason with our 1's and we ran the ball much better than last year in Preseason.

Believe me Nate, I really want to be wrong.  But, what I have seen this preseason cannot be unseen.  That OL had one (1) decent drive, and even that one was put together with running plays and quick hit passes.  In order for that stuff to work in regular season play, a defense MUST respect your ability to go downfield.  I haven't seen many 5 or 7 step drops called in preseason..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2017, 01:25 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Do we ever underestimate our receivers?  We routinely declare guys like Armon Binns, Jerome Simpson, Denarius Moore, Jeff Kumerow and that Salmonize guy will be uncoverable.  Most of the time we go into a season wondering how NFL defenses are possibly going to stop all of our offensive weapons.

That's a great point.

Chances are guys like Cook and Malone will be fringe #5 WR's that are off the team in a couple years if the trend you mention holds.

I do hope that one develops...but they likely won't get the PT in games that they need to develop.

In a lot of ways...fans overvalue most of our 3rd Round guys down. I mean there is a chance that Lawson could develop into a quality starter...but most of our low round picks never do.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2017, 06:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Believe me Nate, I really want to be wrong.  But, what I have seen this preseason cannot be unseen.  That OL had one (1) decent drive, and even that one was put together with running plays and quick hit passes.  In order for that stuff to work in regular season play, a defense MUST respect your ability to go downfield.  I haven't seen many 5 or 7 step drops called in preseason..

The Bengals are not like old teams like the Raiders or even the Ravens who like to chuck it 60 yards downfield 5 to 15 times a game.

If we run our offense well (balance run and pass) we likely need at most 3 to 5 five or seven step drops the entire game in my opinion. I bring it as the offense only played around  quarter in 3 of the preseason games and Eifert did play any or much at all.  healthy Eifert makes our offense a whole lot better

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2017, 07:20 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The Bengals are not like old teams like the Raiders or even the Ravens who ike to chuck it 60 yards downfield 5 to 20 times a game.

If we run our offense well (balance run and pass) we likely need at most 3 to 5 5 or 7 step drops the entire game in my opinion.

That's just it...we don't seem to be able to run the ball. We couldn't last year with Whitworth and Zeitler. The year before that we couldn't run it. It's a big reason we don't win playoff games...although a bunch of things typically go wrong on offense and defense in our playoff games.

With all of our receiving threats...teams aren't exactly playing us to run...so it should be easier.

It has to be at least partially the run blocking scheme.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2017, 07:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's a great point.

Chances are guys like Cook and Malone will be fringe #5 WR's that are off the team in a couple years if the trend you mention holds.

I do hope that one develops...but they likely won't get the PT in games that they need to develop.

In a lot of ways...fans overvalue most of our 3rd Round guys down. I mean there is a chance that Lawson could develop into a quality starter...but most of our  any team's low round picks never do.
I fixed it for you.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2017, 07:24 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I fixed it for you.

Those other teams use free agency though. The Bengals sole strategy is to build through the draft. Compensatory picks are part of that strategy.

Other teams actually win playoff games. In fact, EVERY TEAM in the NFL has won a playoff game since we last have.

Some 23 of them have played in the Super Bowl since we last won a playoff game.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2017, 07:20 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The Bengals are not like old teams like the Raiders or even the Ravens who ike to chuck it 60 yards downfield 5 to 20 times a game.

If we run our offense well (balance run and pass) we likely need at most 3 to 5 five or seven step drops the entire game in my opinion. I bring it as the offense only played around  quarter in 3 of the preseason games and Eifert did play any or much at all.  healthy Eifert makes our offense a whole lot better

Balanced offense, I can agree with that.  However, the timing of the distribution of those runs/passes needs to be orchestrated in a savvy manner, and the execution of those rare deep strikes must be stellar, in order for the quick hit style of the WCO to be effective.  A big part of being able to have underneath stuff open, is having a defense respect your ability to go downfield on them.  So no, I don't agree with just 3-5 full drop backs per game being all that they will need.  I'm thinking around 8-12, depending upon success rate, and how the defense reacts after sustaining a few deep attempts.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Dalton was only sacked 1 time in the 2016 preseason. He was then sacked 7 times in Week 1.
Dalton was sacked 3 times in the 2015 preseason. He was then sacked only 20 times in a little over 12 games.

Preseason is preseason. It doesn't really matter/mean anything.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote