Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cincinnati "Fans" are the Worst
(09-18-2023, 06:33 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: I agree with the first point somewhat, but breaking the playoff drought isn't ALL this team has done.

First road playoff win... backed up by another one the very next week.

First time winning 3 playoff games in a season.

First AFCCG win on the road.

First time winning in the postseason in back to back years.

Lot of firsts not just limited to that Raiders game.

Also... the QB play hasn't been 'much different'?

Andy Dalton in the Playoffs:
0-4
88/158 - 55.7% completion rate
873 yards
1 TD
6 INTs

Joe Burrow in the playoffs:
5-2
169/251 - 67.33% completion rate
1826 yards
9 TDs
4 INTs

Look like two pretty different QBs to me.

Hah That's fair, Dalton was incredibly putrid in the playoffs so I guess he's not actually close to that. But I do still feel he gets too much credit for our playoff success compared to the defense. And the primary reason for that is because we hadn't won in so long. I agree our team achieved a lot of those firsts you mentioned. 
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 09:58 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I sat in a car ride home from the game with 5 other Bengals fans and listened to them trash Burrow for the game(s) he had. Twitter is a cesspool. Social media is on fire. People are throwing coaches, players, anyone under the bus. Everyone is dogging everyone.

But to dog Joe Burrow after two games, where he missed all of training camp, and clearly isn't 100% healthy? Man, some of you all stink. How short our memories are.

Seriously, it's embarrassing.

Same shit some of you did with Palmer, Votto, etc. Throwing trash on lawns and running guys out of town.

Better be careful for what you wish for.

True... Blah should be going at Zac Taylor for not having his team ready at all 2 weeks in arow.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 09:12 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Have you followed this team since Taylor has been the coach? Seems like we take it easy on players who are "sore".

I've followed this team since 1968.....
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 10:13 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: When Joe struggles it completely exposes ZT and Callahan. They struggle to find "easy" yards for this offense. 

It just blows my mind when people talk shit about Burrow. People have no clue how much the dude literally carries our offense. 

This is exactly how I see it. It's frustrating watching the offense sputtering if Joe doesn't bring his A plus game. Hopefully that calf isn't as bad as it looked late or this season is about to get ugly.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
It's frustrating for sure to see (yet another) slow start, especially when the league scheduled the first two against division teams.  But the booing at the stadium is honestly embarrassing to the fanbase.  The appearance is spoiled, fair-weather fandom, not a city that's backing its team.  Had a very NY/NJ/Philly vibe and no one holds those fans up as being a great example.  

I think the real root is that people somehow find their fandom linked directly with their self-esteem and can't bear the thought of taking a blow to their pride, so it's better to boo and moan loudly so the world knows you're not really one of them.  Until they start winning, and then all of them start talking about how many years of gloom they've supported the team and stood by their side.  

No one ever really accused fans of being level-headed and reasonable, but the response in Cincy is a little pathetic. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 11:00 AM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: It's frustrating for sure to see (yet another) slow start, especially when the league scheduled the first two against division teams.  But the booing at the stadium is honestly embarrassing to the fanbase.  The appearance is spoiled, fair-weather fandom, not a city that's backing its team.  Had a very NY/NJ/Philly vibe and no one holds those fans up as being a great example.  

I think the real root is that people somehow find their fandom linked directly with their self-esteem and can't bear the thought of taking a blow to their pride, so it's better to boo and moan loudly so the world knows you're not really one of them.  Until they start winning, and then all of them start talking about how many years of gloom they've supported the team and stood by their side.  

No one ever really accused fans of being level-headed and reasonable, but the response in Cincy is a little pathetic. 

I agree. Probably shouldn't have booed. But we looked atrocious against the Browns. And then, this performance was pretty bad in the 1st half. The punt return put some deodorant on the scoreboard.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 10:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You're not asking for grace, you're asking for folks not to blame JB for his poor performance.

Yet, you join in the "lack of grace" for a HC that changed the culture here and has taken us to 2 straight AFC title games. 

Pretty much this. As I noted in another thread, this fanbase always has to  have a scapegoat, but can't seem to put blame where it actually should go sometimes. It's kinda fascinating to watch. Wonder how much better "playcalls" are if we don't throw red zone INTs when we're trying to get back in a game, or don't have four picks and a fumble on opening day, or go 14/31 for 82 yards on opening day? 

It's literally ok to criticize poor performance when it's there. I know he hasn't had the benefit of full training camps, but this team's slow start the last two years can be traced directly to poor QB performance. Can he right the ship again? Time will tell. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Cincy fans forgetting Vegas predicted 10.5 wins. Means we have to win slightly better that 2-3 the rest of the way. That was really not taking Joe’s injury in account.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 09:23 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Exactly.

It's not Burrow's fault they thrust him back into the fold arguably too early.
It had been stated throughout the preseason that a strained calf can be a lingering issue and it's best not to rush someone back from that due to higher chance of reaggravation.

Also, it don't matter when the offensive playcalling was as bad as it has been these past two games.
Does Taylor know there are more routes other than screens and deep sideline passes?

They showed on the all 22 last week that Joe missed multiple wide open receivers over the middle at Cleveland. Only one poster noted it, and no one discussed it, lol. I honestly can't figure out why. Ninja

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 09:58 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I sat in a car ride home from the game with 5 other Bengals fans and listened to them trash Burrow for the game(s) he had. Twitter is a cesspool. Social media is on fire. People are throwing coaches, players, anyone under the bus. Everyone is dogging everyone.

But to dog Joe Burrow after two games, where he missed all of training camp, and clearly isn't 100% healthy? Man, some of you all stink. How short our memories are.

Seriously, it's embarrassing.

Same shit some of you did with Palmer, Votto, etc. Throwing trash on lawns and running guys out of town.

Better be careful for what you wish for.

Imagine having a talentless QB, no leadership, bad reputation, DUI in his past and having the same results and stats as Burrow in his first 2 games.
Then imagine have a talented, well paid QB, with leadership and great reputation, no DUIs and having the same stats as that aforementioned QB in his first 2 games.  
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 11:04 AM)Wyche Wrote: Pretty much this. As I noted in another thread, this fanbase always has to  have a scapegoat, but can't seem to put blame where it actually should go sometimes. It's kinda fascinating to watch. Wonder how much better "playcalls" are if we don't throw red zone INTs when we're trying to get back in a game, or don't have four picks and a fumble on opening day, or go 14/31 for 82 yards on opening day? 

It's literally ok to criticize poor performance when it's there. I know he hasn't had the benefit of full training camps, but this team's slow start the last two years can be traced directly to poor QB performance. Can he right the ship again? Time will tell. 

Agree and I'm a ride or die Burrow supporter.  The interception to stone was a play that more or less decided the game.  At best it caused a 10 pt swing, at worst 14.  Horrific decision by a guy who is known not to make very many of them.  

All in all, however, looking at the team stats side by side, you'd have thought the Bengals would have been absolutely blown out in that game.  They got smashed in both rushing and passing yards, first downs (not pretty), and time of possession.  They were incredibly fortunate to be in it late.

I dislike the soft preseason approach, but it's worked incredibly well for 2 seasons.  This can't be denied.  The approach generated the best Bengal campaigns in 30 plus years.  

As far as Burrow, I don't believe he's physically whole.  The team took a risk playing him this and last week and didn't get the desired outcome.  I wouldn't say it's the worst, because he still doesn't have a serious structural injury, that we know of.  It was a dodgy situation for the with the contract and the calf.  It's tough to make a call to sit a guy you just paid 260 mil for two weeks when he's the main reason fans show up to games.  It's easy to say they should have when you're looking at 0-2 and a re-aggrvated calf, but these were unknowns at the time.  

My main criticism of the team right now is the inability to have a capable backup on the roster.  I have zero faith in Browning or Grier to win games if Burrow misses time.  They are at best high end practice squad players.  A serious Super Bowl contender needs to be ready if the need to rest their star qb arises.  

I'd hate to see Burrow miss time, but frankly it's a miracle he hasn't missed more with the beating he's taken here.  This should have been accounted for all along.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 08:37 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Man, that money really has you disturbed, doesn't it? So what he's the highest paid by a few dollars. He's making the same as his peers.

The money doesn't bother me at all, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be expected to perform when things aren't perfect.  Like rain.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 11:22 AM)samhain Wrote: Agree and I'm a ride or die Burrow supporter.  The interception to stone was a play that more or less decided the game.  At best it caused a 10 pt swing, at worst 14.  Horrific decision by a guy who is known not to make very many of them.  

All in all, however, looking at the team stats side by side, you'd have thought the Bengals would have been absolutely blown out in that game.  They got smashed in both rushing and passing yards, first downs (not pretty), and time of possession.  They were incredibly fortunate to be in it late.

I dislike the soft preseason approach, but it's worked incredibly well for 2 seasons.  This can't be denied.  The approach generated the best Bengal campaigns in 30 plus years.  

As far as Burrow, I don't believe he's physically whole.  The team took a risk playing him this and last week and didn't get the desired outcome.  I wouldn't say it's the worst, because he still doesn't have a serious structural injury, that we know of.  It was a dodgy situation for the with the contract and the calf.  It's tough to make a call to sit a guy you just paid 260 mil for two weeks when he's the main reason fans show up to games.  It's easy to say they should have when you're looking at 0-2 and a re-aggrvated calf, but these were unknowns at the time.  

My main criticism of the team right now is the inability to have a capable backup on the roster.  I have zero faith in Browning or Grier to win games if Burrow misses time.  They are at best high end practice squad players.  A serious Super Bowl contender needs to be ready if the need to rest their star qb arises.  

I'd hate to see Burrow miss time, but frankly it's a miracle he hasn't missed more with the beating he's taken here.  This should have been accounted for all along.

Absolutely agree 110% on everything you just typed. I don't want anyone to get it twisted....Joe Burrow is the first jersey I've bought since the early Palmer years. That's how much I dig the guy. That said, you can't just ignore the elephant in the room like so many want to because we're fans of the guy. 

If it means long term stability vs immediate results now.... I'm fine with sitting him, and also upset we didn't address the backup situation better. Brandon Allen would certainly be a better choice than what we currently have.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 11:04 AM)Wyche Wrote:  Wonder how much better "playcalls" are if we don't throw red zone INTs when we're trying to get back in a game 

Germaine Pratt intercepts Derek Carr on the 1 yd line in a playoff game, and we have a great linebacker... "Playoff P"

Geno Stone intercepts Joe Burrow on the goal line, and "Play calling sucks... Burrow sucks"

Cincinnati fans never seem to understand the other teams have players being paid to make plays too......
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 12:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Germaine Pratt intercepts Derek Carr on the 1 yd line in a playoff game, and we have a great linebacker... "Playoff P"

Geno Stone intercepts Joe Burrow on the goal line, and "Play calling sucks... Burrow sucks"

Cincinnati fans never seem to understand the other teams have players being paid to make plays too......

That was a pretty easy int.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 12:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That was a pretty easy int.

But not because of the coach, lol.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 12:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Germaine Pratt intercepts Derek Carr on the 1 yd line in a playoff game, and we have a great linebacker... "Playoff P"

Yep. Those other guys get paid too, lol. Joe is struggling, but looked better in the second half. I just don't understand why people have to place blame where it shouldn't be directed to deflect from another's deficiency. 

Like, I think it's fair to say our HC had the biggest hand in our loss to SF because he took the ball out of our QBs hands. I also think it's fair to say our QB has had the biggest hand in our losses this year...with a little help from the defense yesterday (no pass rush success). 

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 10:02 PM)Nepa Wrote: I was quite shocked today to hear the fans booing in the first half. The first home game, and the first half of the first home game, and the fans were booing so loud at one point that the announcers noted it. It's a 17-game season, the team had been to a Super Bowl and the AFCCC, and the fans were booing in the 2nd quarter of the second game of the season.

But they are hardly the worse fan base. Visit Philadelphia or NY some time for a football game. As Joelist notes below, Bengals fans have been diehard in their support through half-a-century of frustration.

I think the boos are for the coaches, mainly Zac & his terrible playcalling & sitting starters during the pre-season.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 10:07 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: If Burrows feelings are hurt then oh well. He’s the highest paid player in history so a lot is expected. He is not untouchable. His red zone int was a horrible pass and a game changer. Those fans paid their $ so they can boo whoever they want to.

It was a great pass if the defender was'nt there, dead on. However Joe is'nt looking defenders off yet & he stared the receiver down which caused the easy pick.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 10:13 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: When Joe struggles it completely exposes ZT and Callahan. They struggle to find "easy" yards for this offense. 

It just blows my mind when people talk shit about Burrow. People have no clue how much the dude literally carries our offense. 

Could you imagine McVay with Burrow?
Reply/Quote