Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Cincinnati campus officer shoots and kills unarmed black male
And Cincinnati continues to produce our two most notable exports in racist cops and riot enthusiasts (assumed).
(07-29-2015, 02:58 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: The prosecutor is going to have to slow this video down for the jury. The video I saw on NBC showed the whole thing and it happens so fast, the jury might miss it.

I didn't hear the gunshot, just dude running yelling "Shots fired!".

Sam Debose was compliant in the video.

The officer asked for his drivers licsense, Debose started looking for it then the officer asked what was on the floor and Debose handed him an unopened bottle of gin. The officer asked for his licsense again and Debose asked what he was being pulled over for and the officer started to get condescending and said "Again...because of the front plate" or something like that. Then you see the officer reach I think then the camera gets shaky and you see running and dude saying "Shots fired!".

It's crazy

EDIT: you hear the car accelerate after the officer shot Debose, not before.

I heard it. It was instantly after the officer reached in the car. 

The officer was condescending. This is the crux of the problem nation wide. They presume without evidence that they're dealing with a criminal every time they encounter a civilian. I don't have a better approach because they have to take their own safety into account first but there's got to be a better way and because they approach each citizen as a criminal, it places the civilian on edge and if the civilian is on edge and ingrained to be less than cooperative, then the situation has the potential to become volatile. it's then the officers duty to de escalate a given situation, which they far too often fail to do, in fact often times escalate a situation by being a dick.  

Im speculating but I'd bet he was profiling too. 
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
(07-29-2015, 03:39 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I heard it. It was instantly after the officer reached in the car. 

The officer was condescending. This is the crux of the problem nation wide. They presume without evidence that they're dealing with a criminal every time they encounter a civilian. I don't have a better approach because they have to take their own safety into account first but there's got to be a better way and because they approach each citizen as a criminal, it places the civilian on edge and if the civilian is on edge and ingrained to be less than cooperative, then the situation has the potential to become volatile. it's then the officers duty to de escalate a given situation, which they far too often fail to do, in fact often times escalate a situation by being a dick.  

Im speculating but I'd bet he was profiling too. 

Let's begin with in no way should a campus police officer be concerned with a missing front license plate.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-29-2015, 03:53 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Let's begin with in no way should a campus police officer be concerned with a missing front license plate.  

They have an agreement with the city to essentially be defacto police. So yeah, he wasn't wrong for stopping Dubose...he didn't do anything wrong until he murdered the guy
(07-29-2015, 03:57 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: They have an agreement with the city to essentially be defacto police. So yeah, he wasn't wrong for stopping Dubose...he didn't do anything wrong until he murdered the guy

I don't think most city cops concern themselves with missing front license plates.  A campus cop should be concerned with protecting and keeping the peace on the campus.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-29-2015, 04:00 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't think most city cops concern themselves with missing front license plates.  A campus cop should be concerned with protecting and keeping the peace on the campus.

Again, except due to the area they have an agreement to help out the city cops. 

And yeah, I've seen people pulled over for window tint, noise and plate issues. 
It happens. 
I watched the video and I just don't get it. There's no apparent rationale.

He's going to have to claim that something happened out of sight of the camera...like he thought he saw him reaching for a gun or something.

If this campus cop gets off there are going to be people with anger issues.
(07-29-2015, 03:57 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: They have an agreement with the city to essentially be defacto police. So yeah, he wasn't wrong for stopping Dubose...he didn't do anything wrong until he murdered the guy

Ain't that the way is always is.  That old chestnut.  
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
It was obvious the driver was drunk or confused and perhaps afraid.

No sure of the law, but I saw no reason for the cop to put his hands on the car and attempt to open the door. I will say that I am surprised that he allowed the driver to go into his glove compartment without being instructed to do so.

It does appear that the driver attempts to drive away; however, it does not appear that anyone was in immediate danger.

I think the city is doing right with the murder charge and let justice take its course. I just hope this is enough for those that might feel victimized or worse yet, just looking to start trouble.

I usually go with the LEO on these, but this one looks very suspect.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

He was obviously trying to drive off. But that doesn't mean the cop can shoot him without cause.

But again if the man would have just complied with the officer he would be alive today.
This is why I originally left cincy. Ill go ahead and assume the talk radio clowns in that town are going to take the LEO side and stir the pot as much as possible.
(07-29-2015, 06:02 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: This is why I originally left cincy.  Ill go ahead and assume the talk radio clowns in that town are going to take the LEO side and stir the pot as much as possible.

Then you assume wrong. So a cop kills a guy and is indicted and you hold that up as why you left town?It must be UC cops that forced you out because the CPD is now held up as a model foece in community relations.

(07-29-2015, 05:09 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: But again if the man would have just complied with the officer he would be alive today.

Ugh...this statement is getting old.  You're blaming the murder victim here.  It's like you're saying, "if her dress wasn't so short, I wouldn't have raped her."  It's weird that people actually think like this.

A crime such as not listening to an officer does not deserve the death penalty.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

I'm most certainly not blaming the victim for being shot. The cop obviously shot him without just cause. No way around that from the video evidence.

But am I not correct that it wouldn't have happened if he did what the cop said.
(07-29-2015, 08:52 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Ugh...this statement is getting old.  You're blaming the murder victim here.  It's like you're saying, "if her dress wasn't so short, I wouldn't have raped her."  It's weird that people actually think like this.

It isn't anything like your analogy. But what is getting old is people (of any skin color) not complying with officers and escalating the situation.

Now that said, in this situation the cop is wrong and deserves to be indicted. But in many other situations the person brings the escalation of force on themselves. When I get stopped, I do as the cop asks, I follow instructions, and I keep my hands in plain view. And if you say I've never had a problem because I'm white, then you would be being a racist about the particular incident..
(07-30-2015, 08:50 AM)Beaker Wrote: It isn't anything like your analogy. But what is getting old is people (of any skin color) not complying with officers and escalating the situation.

Now that said, in this situation the cop is wrong and deserves to be indicted. But in many other situations the person brings the escalation of force on themselves. When I get stopped, I do as the cop asks, I follow instructions, and I keep my hands in plain view. And if you say I've never had a problem because I'm white, then you would be being a racist about the particular incident..

If the officer asks something out of bounds?  If they start demanding you do things you don't have to do?

I do the same as you, but then I'm a middle aged white guy.  I'm not really afraid of being shot in the face as I am not their target audience so to speak.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-30-2015, 09:06 AM)GMDino Wrote: If the officer asks something out of bounds?  If they start demanding you do things you don't have to do?

I would question the officer to make sure I heard him correctly, then do as he asks. If it was something out of bounds, I would take it up in court later. Hopefully a dash cam or body cam would support my case. But arguing, or struggling with a person who is armed and has the ability to use deadly force does not make sense to me. Maybe the end result is I am wronged, but I am also alive.
What he said....
I think the driver didn't believe the UC cop had jurisdiction ( This happened a mile off campus ). I know I Didn't know they could act off campus. How many people know they have authority off campus?

If it's true, then maybe the officer coulda de escalated it some by informing the driver he did in fact have authority.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
(07-30-2015, 09:06 AM)GMDino Wrote: If the officer asks something out of bounds?  If they start demanding you do things you don't have to do?

I do the same as you, but then I'm a middle aged white guy.  I'm not really afraid of being shot in the face as I am not their target audience so to speak.

Not talking about this case because I didn't see anything to cause any escalation, but in general you are never going to win an argument with a police officer.  Do what they say, and take it up later.  Maybe it works out for you and maybe it won't, but you are never going to win on the scene.