Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
City in Virginia cracking down on swearing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWC8UFI1XeE
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Swear words are completely harmless. People should worry about the intent behind the words rather than the actual words themselves.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-19-2015, 12:10 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Swear words are completely harmless.  People should worry about the intent behind the words rather than the actual words themselves.

Well **** you
(06-18-2015, 08:39 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It's awesome.   This gave me a good laugh.

Actually this gives me a great idea for a thread.  I'll start it on Monday.  It will be the ani-political viewpoint bumper sticker thread.  I will see if I can dig up some ambiguouse quote from member then spin it on a bumper sticker to look like they are a part of the oposite political view.  It should be fun.  If you find some good quotes PM them to me with the name of the member and I'll get some bumper stickers ready.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

I can't comment on this thread 'til someone tells me if Arlington is run by Democrats or Republicans. Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
(06-17-2015, 10:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Your parents were stealing your freedom.  They sound just like Hitler.

It sounds like he grew up in a nanny state.

Smirk  
(06-19-2015, 12:12 PM)Westwood Bengal Wrote: It sounds like he grew up in a nanny state.

Smirk  

I'll give you a hint, people around my area complain about NoVA and Hampton ruining this state every time a Democract is elected.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-19-2015, 09:50 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Actually this gives me a great idea for a thread.  I'll start it on Monday.  It will be the ani-political viewpoint bumper sticker thread.  I will see if I can dig up some ambiguouse quote from member then spin it on a bumper sticker to look like they are a part of the oposite political view.  It should be fun.  If you find some good quotes PM them to me with the name of the member and I'll get some bumper stickers ready.

Awesome. I will.
(06-19-2015, 12:10 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Swear words are completely harmless.  People should worry about the intent behind the words rather than the actual words themselves.

Rep.

That's funny considering people get hung up on which words we use and which we don't....

The reason your not supposed to swear is because you sound like an uneducated moron when you use that language. Yeah the words mean what they mean.... But it's a low class, uneducated, style of speaking.

We shouldn't be limiting it as government. But its ok for a business to limit.
(06-19-2015, 02:35 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: That's funny considering people get hung up on which words we use and which we don't....  

The reason your not supposed to swear is because you sound like an uneducated moron when you use that language.   Yeah the words mean what they mean.... But it's a low class, uneducated, style of speaking.  

This just is not true at all.  Very educated, intelligent people use swear words.  

Cursing has nothing to do with intelligence level.  Many of the greatest writers used swear words, same with the greatest politicians and businessmen.

Where did you ever come up with such a silly notion?
(06-19-2015, 02:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This just is not true at all.  Very educated, intelligent people use swear words.  

Cursing has nothing to do with intelligence level.  Many of the greatest writers used swear words, same with the greatest politicians and businessmen.

Swearing doesn't make you a moron, but it does seem like people who just spout off taboo words tend to be the types who lack accountability (in certain situations).  I mentioned in another thread that I've been pretty addicted to watching people fighting/going nuts in public and there are lots of people with low levels of education and ability (presumably) that are throwing the F-bomb around in public with abandon.  The ol' "I don't give a f***!" seems to get repeated a lot.  But what does it matter?  I have a job and I sort of have to care what sort of image I present to the world (just in case) but if I were some low-rung dummy I could go around and swear because accountability is nil.

Again, swearing doesn't make you dumb, but it does seem like dumb people do a lot of overt swearing; mostly likely because they don't really have to censor themselves and/or it doesn't matter what people think of them.  It's correlation versus causation.  Swearing doesn't cause your intelligence level to plummet, by any means. It my mind it comes down to "can you, or do you have to turn it off?" and if the answer is "no" then it's possible you MIGHT not be too swift and/or in a position where you need to present a professional image.
(06-19-2015, 02:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This just is not true at all.  Very educated, intelligent people use swear words.  

Lack of vocabulary ..... mixed with a lack of manners.
(06-19-2015, 02:35 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: That's funny considering people get hung up on which words we use and which we don't....  

The reason your not supposed to swear is because you sound like an uneducated moron when you use that language.   Yeah the words mean what they mean.... But it's a low class, uneducated, style of speaking.  

We shouldn't be limiting it as government. But its ok for a business to limit.

Swearing does show a lack of vocabulary. There are a lot of other things, though, that also make one look uneducated and/or unintelligent when using language.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-19-2015, 06:39 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Swearing does show a lack of vocabulary. There are a lot of other things, though, that also make one look uneducated and/or unintelligent when using language.

Why swear then?  Usually it's due to the inability to come up with a proper word.

I am not someone who swears so I am able to speak without the crutch of foul language. Maybe someone who swears regularly can explain why they choose to speak that way.
(06-19-2015, 07:07 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Why swear then?  Usually it's due to the inability to come up with a proper word.

I am not someone who swears so I am able to speak without the crutch of foul language.     Maybe someone who swears regularly can explain why they choose to speak that way.

Because some people are so f'n stupid "idiot" doesn't adequately express their level of stupidity as well as "dumbass."

I consider racists comments much more obscene than profanity.   What is worse is some people fail to understand statements like, 'as a whole black people are homophobic' or categorizing every individual on at least two continents as "savages" as racist or even stereotypes. Those statements are a helluva lot ore obscene than "shit" in my opinion.

George Carlin wasn't stupid and didn't have a limited vocabulary. Sometimes profane words are exactly what you want.
(06-19-2015, 07:26 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Because some people are so f'n stupid "idiot" doesn't adequately express their level of stupidity as well as "dumbass."

I consider racists comments much more obscene than profanity.   What is worse is some people fail to understand statements like, 'as a whole black people are homophobic' or categorizing every individual on at least two continents as "savages" as racist or even stereotypes. Those statements are a helluva lot ore obscene than "shit" in my opinion.

George Carlin wasn't stupid and didn't have a limited vocabulary. Sometimes profane words are exactly what you want.

George Carlin was an entertainer. It was an act.

You do realize that people just turn you off when they hear you swear....

And your attempt to recycle your lame argument is comical. It won't work in this thread either .... You keep bringing up "your" feelings about words. If we use your argument for swearing then the more inflammatory language we use the better.
(06-19-2015, 07:37 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: George Carlin was an entertainer.  It was an act.  

You do realize that people just turn you off when they hear you swear....  

And your attempt to recycle your lame argument is comical.   It won't work in this thread either .... You keep bringing up "your" feelings about words.   If we use your argument for swearing then the more inflammatory language we use the better.

I do believe it was Kurt Vonnegut who said that using foul language just gives people who didn't want to hear what you have to say a "reason" to not listen.  Using foul language in a song or book or act is one thing, but people that use it in public just come off as lacking maturity and accountability.
(06-19-2015, 06:29 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Lack of vocabulary ..... mixed with a lack of manners.

Says one of the rudest posters in the forums, who regularly mixes up there, their, and they're.

There is zero correlation between swearing and manners, intelligence, etc.  If someone is too fragile to hear a swear word, then they must have a very tough life considering the average person swears once every 200 words.

As stated before, the damaging part of a swear word, or any word for that matter, is the intent behind it.  I'd wager that more people find your posts less tasteful given your frequent backhanded insults and attempting to talk down to people than they do mine for including frequent joking uses of words such as shit, dick, ****, and balls.

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/2012/may-june-12/the-science-of-swearing.html
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(06-19-2015, 08:34 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Says one of the rudest posters in the forums, who regularly mixes up there, their, and they're.

There is zero correlation between swearing and manners, intelligence, etc.  If someone is too fragile to hear a swear word, then they must have a very tough life considering the average person swears once every 200 words.

As stated before, the damaging part of a swear word, or any word for that matter, is the intent behind it.  I'd wager that more people find your posts less tasteful given your frequent backhanded insults and attempting to talk down to people than they do mine for including frequent joking uses of words such as shit, dick, ****, and balls.

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/2012/may-june-12/the-science-of-swearing.html

I'll see your study and raise you this video of a woman saying "I don't give a f***" 100 times in a row!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6RQBIeGHnI