Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
City in Virginia cracking down on swearing
(06-19-2015, 07:37 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: George Carlin was an entertainer.  It was an act.  

Whether it was an act or not he used profanity with specific intent no different than any other word. Seven dirty words you can't say on TV-give it a listen.

Quote:You do realize that people just turn you off when they hear you swear....  

Swearing is less offensive than your non-profane statements.

Quote:And your attempt to recycle your lame argument is comical.   It won't work in this thread either .... You keep bringing up "your" feelings about words.   If we use your argument for swearing then the more inflammatory language we use the better.
Excuse me , but aren't you commenting about your feelings about words?  Yes.

I never wrote more=better.  I used the word "some" which isn't the same as more. That is a false equivalent.
(06-19-2015, 08:37 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'll see your study and raise you this video of a woman saying "I don't give a f***" 100 times in a row!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6RQBIeGHnI

That's excessive. It loses its affect after 73 times.

Maybe 72.
(06-14-2015, 01:28 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote:  try not getting yourself worked up over words
ThumbsUp
(06-19-2015, 08:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I do believe it was Kurt Vonnegut who said that using foul language just gives people who didn't want to hear what you have to say a "reason" to not listen.  Using foul language in a song or book or act is one thing, but people that use it in public just come off as lacking maturity and accountability.

Couldn't agree more. We are on the same page my friend. Rep to you.
(06-19-2015, 08:34 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Says one of the rudest posters in the forums, who regularly mixes up there, their, and they're.

There is zero correlation between swearing and manners, intelligence, etc.  If someone is too fragile to hear a swear word, then they must have a very tough life considering the average person swears once every 200 words.

As stated before, the damaging part of a swear word, or any word for that matter, is the intent behind it.  I'd wager that more people find your posts less tasteful given your frequent backhanded insults and attempting to talk down to people than they do mine for including frequent joking uses of words such as shit, dick, ****, and balls.

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/2012/may-june-12/the-science-of-swearing.html

Have you ever seen me swear on these boards? Or make any personal attacks towards anyone?

You know why you haven't seen that..... Because I have proper manners.
(06-19-2015, 09:14 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Whether it was an act or not he used profanity with specific intent no different than any other word. Seven dirty words you can't say on TV-give it a listen.

Swearing is less offensive than your non-profane statements.

Excuse me , but aren't you commenting about your feelings about words?  Yes.

I never wrote more=better.  I used the word "some" which isn't the same as more. That is a false equivalent.

I haven't gotten worked up over any words.... I don't mind letting people make themselves looking like idiots. I also said that the gov shouldn't be invovled either. So the only one getting worked up over any words is you.
Modern day etiquette lesson.

Quote:Etiquette and swearing… They probably seem to be a bit of a mismatch don’t they? After all a gentleman never swears, right?  Well, wrong actually. Of course we all swear, even if only rarely. Don’t try to pretend that you don’t now. The difference is knowing how to swear.

Firstly, one must understand when not to swear

– Never swear within earshot of your elders, including those you know well.

– Never swear within earshot of children.

– Never swear within earshot of strangers (men and women).

– Never swear in front of those in authority.

– Never swear in front of those you know to have strong aversions to bad language.

– Never swear in a place of worship.

Once upon a time one would have added ‘never swear in front of a lady’, but times change and we all know many ladies swear as often as us fellows now – if not more so!

These rules are critical to the art of swearing. Dear old Mrs Miggins simply doesn’t want to hear your profanities as she goes about her delicate life.

There is also another, more subtle rule, which is:

– Never swear at someone, only with someone.  So swearing should not be used to insult, abuse, harass or demean other people.

So when can you swear?  What do I mean by swearing with someone?

You can swear with yourself.  By that I mean you can let out a loud ‘FFS’ when you’ve just dropped a heavy weight on your foot, providing you’re not within earshot of any elderly ladies and the heavy weight isn’t a church pew!

You can also swear with friends, providing it is done correctly.  Someone once said that swearing should be used as an exclamation mark, not as a comma.  In other words it should be used sparingly and for effect only.  We might live an age of people using multiple exclamation marks in their writing, but that doesn’t mean that using an expletive every single sentence.  Swearing should be used rarely and for emphasisonly.

For example, here using the word ‘bloody’, but feel free to interchange with other well-known expletives… you know which ones:

“ Please don’t lose this ” – Polite, respectful, I’ll try not lose it.

“ Don’t bloody lose this ” – Okay, I really know you don’t want me to lose this!

Swearing also needs to fall in the correct part of the sentence:

“ Shall we move on? I can’t bloody hear a thing in this place ” – Wrong. You are emphasising ‘hear’.  So not only can you not hear, you can’t bloody hear…  What does that mean?  A verb should not be emphasised.

“ Shall we move on? I can’t hear a bloody thing in this place ” – Correct. Not only can you not hear a thing, you can’t hear a bloody thing. A noun, for effect, can be emphasised.

You can also swear to place emphasis on adjectives:

“ How big was it? ” “ It was enormous” – Oh, must be big.

“ How big was it? ” “ It was bloody enormous” – It really must be enormous!

You can also use common swearing parlance among friends, if infrequent. The phrases ‘to be hacked off’, ‘to have completely messed up’ or ‘to have made a total idiot of oneself’ can have the words ‘hacked’, ‘messed’ and ‘idiot’ exchanged for stronger language. Again, the expletives here are used for emphasis.

Stick to the rules though. One should really only use profanity sparingly and not within earshot of anyone you don’t know or who might take offence by it.
(06-20-2015, 03:43 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I haven't gotten worked up over any words....  I don't mind letting people make themselves looking like idiots.   I also said that the gov shouldn't be invovled either.     So the only one getting worked up over any words is you.

I'm worked up because I quoted you?
(06-20-2015, 03:53 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Modern day etiquette lesson.  

Quote:Of course we all swear, even if only rarely. Don’t try to pretend that you don’t now.

I suppose after reading that you incorrectly thought if we used her rules for swearing the more inflammatory language we use the better.

Making broad derogatory generalizations about a group of people based upon their race is racism. Racism is obscene and inflammatory. I would much rather have my child exposed to  the occasional f bomb than racist remarks. What is really sad is several different people have told you the same thing and you're still oblivious and continue your rationalizations.
"Your best?  Losers always whine about doing their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen."  -Sean Connery in The Rock

It just isn't the same if he had said, " Winners go home and have unlawful carnal knowledge of the prom queen."
(06-20-2015, 03:40 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Have you ever seen me swear on these boards?  Or make any personal attacks towards anyone?

You know why you haven't seen that..... Because I have proper manners.

If this isn't TommC I don't know who is...

Anyway:  When I worked in radio I never swore in my "off the air" conversations.  1) Because I rarely swore anyway before that and 2) because the habit of NOT swearing deliberately for 5 hours a day kind of makes it stick with you.

Flash-forward and the business I work in now has people who drop the F bomb like its the word "and".  90% do it.  From the lowest laborer to the highest manager / owner.  And I have adapted it also.  Curse words can be effective...they can get a point across quickly...and they can make haughty people with "proper manners" turn red and get angry a lot faster.

I was in my 30's before I said a curse word in front of my parents.  I was almost 40 when I found out my mother (who does swear) dropped the f bomb herself...frequently.  My father rarely curses and I have never heard more than a damn or s.o.b. from him.

I taught both my children that there are "adult" words that they can use if they want when they are adults.  I caught my daughter once when she was about 13-14 cursing in an email.  We talked about it and she stopped.  A couple years later we had another conversation about it.  I told that her mother and I are not stupid.  We know she swears but she should refrain from doing it in front of us conversationally.  It is meant for specific situations.  She respected that.

All that said...words are words.  Someone already brought up George Carlin...this is the part of the "7 dirty words(" bit that always stuck with me:
[Image: Quotation-George-Carlin-philosophy-humor...125570.jpg]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-20-2015, 03:37 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Couldn't agree more.   We are on the same page my friend.   Rep to you.

Oh f***!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-20-2015, 08:36 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: "Your best?  Losers always whine about doing their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen."  -Sean Connery in The Rock

It just isn't the same if he had said, " Winners go home and have unlawful carnal knowledge of the prom queen."

True, but most people drop the F-bomb when they are NOT escaping from Alcatraz (or whatever that movie is about).  I personally say fudge and figs and "oh shrimp" because it's funnier and people are so used to hearing these "taboo" words that saying the censored versions gets more of a reaction.

Now in the times I've actually been in danger and swore in reaction without thinking (a car recently ran a red light while I was crossing a busy road and almost tagged me) my unconscious go-to statement was revealed to be "Jesus f***ing Christ!" despite the fact that I don't normally swear nor do I believe Jesus was a divine being.  Another time I dropped the f-bomb (and I do so when I'm around my friends and it fits the situation, honestly) without thinking involves people aggressively encroaching upon me wherein I consistently and without thinking yell "Get your f***-ing hands off me."  SO, I use it, but when I have the foresight to choose what I say, I tend not to.
(06-19-2015, 07:07 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Why swear then?  Usually it's due to the inability to come up with a proper word.

I am not someone who swears so I am able to speak without the crutch of foul language.     Maybe someone who swears regularly can explain why they choose to speak that way.

Swear words are used to add emphasis and/or impact.  

If you don't use them then that means you have a more limited vocabulary. 

The greatest authors use swear words.  Funny that people claim they are smart by not using them
I have no problem with folks swearing.

How else would we know how grown up they are.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(06-20-2015, 02:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have no problem with folks swearing.

How else would we know how grown up they are.

Is there are swearing allowed in the military?  
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-20-2015, 04:09 PM)GMDino Wrote: Is there are swearing allowed in the military?  

Yes it is "allowed"; unless it is in professional correspondence. I recently went down to visit my son in Jacksonville, he has been in the Navy for about 2 years. I could not believe the language coming out of his mouth in front of his mom and younger brother.

I asked him about this and he informed me "That's just the way we talk on the ship". I had to remind him which one of us has spent over 30 years in the Military as a Soldier and civilian. I am proud to say he toned it down quite a bit after this. I hope it continued on the ship. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

I find it hilarious that some actually think it's reasonable to swear in conversations of any seriousness .

I guess I just choose to conduct myself in a more respectful way.

I am pretty happy that it surprises people when they hear me swear.
(06-20-2015, 01:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Swear words are used to add emphasis and/or impact.  

If you don't use them then that means you have a more limited vocabulary. 

The greatest authors use swear words.  Funny that people claim they are smart by not using them

So you can't achieve the same emphasis or inpact with non swear words?

If you can't then you should do some crosswords and work on that vocabulary..... That or your just lazy in your speech. It's probably the latter since your an educated man.
(06-20-2015, 11:56 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Oh f***!

Haha yep. Welcome to the club mate