Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach Anarumo
(06-14-2019, 11:37 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I quietly gave that statement a golf clap myself!

Yeah, but did you also give yourself a "Let's go"?  That still gives me chills and makes me want to run through a wall and knock someone in to the middle of next week.

Sick
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2019, 01:35 PM)Wyche Wrote: Right, he's gonna have to call the game efficiently to be a good coordinator......but his teaching of the D is evidently better than what was here last year.

It's going to come down to one word for me with this defense:  Pressure.  Can they generate it?  Can they get pressure with their front four?  Can they have options to put another player on the LOS when the opposition is in max protect?  Will it work?  Will the secondary and LBs contest more earlier to prevent easy completions underneath, forcing the QB to hold the ball and allowing the front four to get pressure?  If they can get more pressure a lot of the problems in the middle and back end will take care of themselves. 
Reply/Quote
Marvin simplified the Defense and it actually worked last season; Also Zimmer said a Similar thing in 2012 they struggled early then became Elite in the 2nd half after said change.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2019, 01:31 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Well, they didn't seem to be able to do much of either last season, so back to the basics!

Agreed!

And that is exactly what is done at minicamp.

Fundamentals.

Blocking, tackling, breaks on routes, 3-5-7 step drops, footwork, etc. You want to determine if the guy can physically get the job done.

In terms of the mental part, concepts are presented along with terminology. Still basics.

Expectation is that everyone does their homework and comes to camp knowing the concept and terminology.

At training camp, you build out and reinforce with scripted scrimmages.

That is when you know if a guy can absorb your concept and execute it.

On a side note, at camp we will know if Dolegala can make you holla.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully Lou doesn't have those WWJD moments that get translated to "What would the Bengals Board do?" moments.. 
I have no idea what kind defensive strategy Lou will actually use come game days, but I'm sure it's not just simply "Just don't let the other team score.". He's been around football a while now so it's not his first rodeo nor the first for any of these guys.  It may be their first time in charge, but everyone begins somewhere.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2019, 11:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Patriots run one of the most complex offenses in the league and run A LOT of different plays. Chad Johnson went there and struggled to learn it.

But don't take my word. Take the Boston Herald's:

'Inman’s proven ability to catch on quickly, as he demonstrated last season in his rapid rise up the Colts depth chart, should help. The Patriots offense is famously complex. Rookie receivers can often become overwhelmed, and even veteran wideouts often struggle to fit in.'
What does an offense under Bill O'Brien in 2011 have to do with a Josh McDaniels's offense in 2018? You have previously tried this silliness about Chad Johnson. So when does the statute of limitations run out on your theory?  You may want to try watching the Super Bowl from last season. Also here is a link where some do not agree with you....

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18609488/illustrating-new-england-patriots-go-plays-josh-mcdaniels-super-bowl-li-2016-nfl-playoffs
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2019, 05:02 PM)OSUfan Wrote: What does an offense under Bill O'Brien in 2011 have to do with a Josh McDaniels's offense in 2018? You have previously tried this silliness about Chad Johnson. So when does the statute of limitations run out on your theory?  You may want to try watching the Super Bowl from last season. Also here is a link where some do not agree with you....

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18609488/illustrating-new-england-patriots-go-plays-josh-mcdaniels-super-bowl-li-2016-nfl-playoffs

Did you read the link in my post. I'll post the recent quote from the Boston Herald again. They've had a complex offense since Belicheck was there:

'Inman’s proven ability to catch on quickly, as he demonstrated last season in his rapid rise up the Colts depth chart, should help. The Patriots offense is famously complex. Rookie receivers can often become overwhelmed, and even veteran wideouts often struggle to fit in.'
Reply/Quote
Tackling fundamentals is number one, to me. I felt like an old Vince Lombardi clip last season.
Reply/Quote
I have to admit that when they first hired Coach Lou, I was a little iffy on him because of how bad the Giants' secondary was. However, the more that I have read and the more I have watched of interviews by players, I think he is exactly the right guy to be running the defense. The players seem to love him and his style of no nonsense, yet also having fun at the same time because he is keeping things simple for them. I think this could be a defense that sneaks into the top half of the league if the linebackers pan out and improve from last year and as long as they stay healthy. I love the fact that he is playing the players that are doing well as opposed to playing them because of seniority and if they are not doing well they sit. I think Jessie Bates could have a Pro Bowl year this year after being passed on last season. I also am excited to see how the cornerbacks play this year and don't be surprised if at the end of the year, William Jackson and Dre Kirkpatrick are one of the best cornerback tandems in the league.
Reply/Quote
The defense starts the year off against average offensive teams, at Seattle, SF at home and then Bills on road. If we are ranked in top 10 after week 3 on schedule alone, we may be in for a long year.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2019, 11:31 AM)XsandOs Wrote: Agreed!

And that is exactly what is done at minicamp.

Fundamentals.

Blocking, tackling, breaks on routes, 3-5-7 step drops, footwork, etc. You want to determine if the guy can physically get the job done.

In terms of the mental part, concepts are presented along with terminology. Still basics.

Expectation is that everyone does their homework and comes to camp knowing the concept and terminology.

At training camp, you build out and reinforce with scripted scrimmages.

That is when you know if a guy can absorb your concept and execute it.

On a side note, at camp we will know if Dolegala can make you holla.

Are they working on blocking and tackling with no pads?
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2019, 10:27 PM)Destro Wrote: Tackling fundamentals is number one, to me. I felt like an old Vince Lombardi clip last season.

It's amazing how poor our tackling was.

Of course, I doubt that Nickerson or Evans would see many snaps on most NFL defenses. Especially Nickerson.

I suppose Evans could improve.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2019, 08:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Did you read the link in my post. I'll post the recent quote from the Boston Herald again. They've had a complex offense since Belicheck was there:

Well apparently there are some that do not agree with your link. Does not really matter how many times you post it. Not sure what the tenure of Belichick would have to do anything since he has never even worked on the offensive side of that ball and I really doubt he had much to do with drawing up the X's and O's of the offensive playbook since he has been the head coach. Oh wait, in 1977 he did work with receivers and TEs in Detroit.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2019, 09:36 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I haven't checked but have the rest of Austin's defenses been super bad?  He's an assistant with the Steelers now, so lets hope so.

To the best of my recollection, that was the reason for pause when he was hired.  His defenses weren't super bad in Detroit, but they were bottom half of the league.  Anyone have anything to back up my memory?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 12:17 PM)Wyche Wrote: To the best of my recollection, that was the reason for pause when he was hired.  His defenses weren't super bad in Detroit, but they were bottom half of the league.  Anyone have anything to back up my memory?

I recall the optimism being that he had been interviewed for a bunch of HC jobs he didn't get and his defense was all about going for the ball.  At this time last year people were pumped the defense was playing full-force until the whistle in case the ball was out...or something.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 12:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I recall the optimism being that he had been interviewed for a bunch of HC jobs he didn't get and his defense was all about going for the ball.  At this time last year people were pumped the defense was playing full-force until the whistle in case the ball was out...or something.

There were some homers, no doubt, but there was also plenty of skepticism due to the ranking in Detroit.  I want to say they were somewhere around 26th.  He did say he was going to make turnovers the focus of his defense, and some folks.....well, all of us.....were hoping that was going to be the case.

Reply/Quote
It's impossible to know what type of DC Anarumo will be until we see how his unit performs on the fields and we get a chance to see what his scheme looks like in game action, but I am a fan of his approach and style so far. The players really seem to like him, so I'm really hoping that he does a solid job this year and the defense can at least hold it's own and keep them in games.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 12:35 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It's impossible to know what type of DC Anarumo will be until we see how his unit performs on the fields 

Gross!  Mellow

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 12:35 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It's impossible to know what type of DC Anarumo will be until we see how his unit performs on the fields and we get a chance to see what his scheme looks like in game action, but I am a fan of his approach and style so far. The players really seem to like him, so I'm really hoping that he does a solid job this year and the defense can at least hold it's own and keep them in games.

Really, when you get down to it, the defense just needs to be middle of the pack for the team to have a chance.  The offense played pretty well to open the season, and was 73 seconds away from starting off 5-1 before the injuries mounted.  The talent is still there on offense, and if they take to Zac's scheme early, they should be a rather solid unit.  The defense just needs to make some stops.  Outside of Indy and Miami, there wasn't much of that until late in the season.

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 12:34 PM)Wyche Wrote: There were some homers, no doubt, but there was also plenty of skepticism due to the ranking in Detroit.  I want to say they were somewhere around 26th.  He did say he was going to make turnovers the focus of his defense, and some folks.....well, all of us.....were hoping that was going to be the case.

I believe we were citing the 2005 offense being top-tier and the defense having an unimpressive rank, but being inordinately good at snagging the ball and creating turnovers as the reason for optimism.  My cynical take is that it is entirely possible one of our new coaches is going to be the reason the season was a "waste" like Zampese and Austin were.  We have so many in over their heads coaches that it's going to take a lot of luck that I don't think the Bengals have for them to succeed right away.

But this just comes down to the excuses we make when things go wrong and how we've had 3 wasted seasons in a row.  Let's see....

2015 - Dalton injured
2016 - Zampese is crap
2017 - Zampese is crap
2018- Lazor is crap, Austin is crap, Marvin is crap
Dishonorable Mention:  1992 - 2018 - Our HC's are all crap

I just can't help but feel like betting our team is healthy and all of our coaches aren't crap is like going to Vegas and putting it all on 00 green.  
Reply/Quote