Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cody Core needs to be cut...
(11-19-2018, 03:41 PM)Wyche Wrote: With Core.....it actually does seem to be tantamount to forfeiting the game. LMAO

I mean seriously, Shitsburgh, and now this.  I'd have had Mixon or Gio out there at wideout before this guy.  (also, I think the Lafell deal was more about letting John Ross play, IIRC.....maybe Boyd.)  Personally, I've never understood the big deal about this guy, I've never seen him do shit.  I think Tyler Boyd's emergence had more to do with Lafell leaving town than anything else.  

The thing is, I have a feeling Boyd earned his way onto the field.  That's different than saying we need to trade/cut player XYZ because the guys behind him deserve a chance to start.  We didn't release Lafell because we wanted to see what we had in Boyd, Boyd showed the team enough for them to *GASP* legitimately promote him!

Wow, earning your way on the field!  What a novel concept!  But in the world where Marvin is always playing the wrong players because he's a big ol sack of dumb, a process like that just can't be trusted.

But again, every year we accuse any WR who isn't AJ Green of getting in the way of our wildly talented WR bench.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 02:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I can see your suffering brain damage from your knee hitting your face too hard too many times...

But Core is solid on STs   He might be a lot better now if we didn't rot him on the bench behind lafell for two years.

Also where are all the calls for the other underperforming players to be cut?

People were screaming for LaFell and Erickson to be cut during OTA's.

Core could strip naked and jump off a second story fire escape into a dumpster full of used heroin syringes and still manage to not catch HIV.
Reply/Quote
CORE was supposed to be the, you know, the "unknown" receiver waiting in the shadows catching nothing all game except for that ONE crucial reception that moved the team for more downs and eventually a TD. It just didn't happen, nope.
Reply/Quote
I think we've seen enough. Core has major league skillet hands.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 03:46 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The thing is, I have a feeling Boyd earned his way onto the field.  That's different than saying we need to trade/cut player XYZ because the guys behind him deserve a chance to start.  We didn't release Lafell because we wanted to see what we had in Boyd, Boyd showed the team enough for them to *GASP* legitimately promote him!

Wow, earning your way on the field!  What a novel concept!  But in the world where Marvin is always playing the wrong players because he's a big ol sack of dumb, a process like that just can't be trusted.

But again, every year we accuse any WR who isn't AJ Green of getting in the way of our wildly talented WR bench.

Well yeah, he did earn his way on the field.....but the point I was making was that people didn't want Lafell gone for a 7th rounder to see action.  It was for a 2nd and 1st rounder.  FWIW, I was indifferent on Lafell, but wanted an upgrade.  He was a decent stop gap, and did well in that role.  He's nowhere near as dynamic as Tyler Boyd.

Literally anyone that can catch a football is an upgrade over Core though, that should be abundantly clear at this point.  

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 03:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I guess it doesn't matter.  Lafell is no longer the reason we aren't getting the WRs we want on the field.  The scapegoat is now Cody Core.  Cody Core went from a late-round gem rotting behind that loser Lafell to being the loser behind which the next late-round gems rot.  Circle of life, and all that.

I'm already looking ahead to the possibility of us wondering why that bum Auden Tate is taking away snaps from (insert 7th round WR we take in the 2019 draft, here).
The fact of the matter is, lafell sucked,and cody core sucked. If tate comes out and sucks,YES find out the okther guys potential. Dont just keep the sucky guy in there till we are out of it. Lafell should of never been signed. Very cheap decision. Go out and get a real #2. Tyler boyd probably could of been good year #2. But most the targets were going to labum by design. 
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 03:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Lafell had 2 receptions and a TD yesterday.  Figures it's his fault Core couldn't catch a pass if we held him at gunpoint.  I'd rather have Dalton throwing to Lafell than Core, but nooooooooooooooooooooooo, we've just GOT to have our young talented late round gems on the field.

But, but, but, "it couldn't be worse than playing LaFell".

Remember all of those posts?  It is always "impossible" for the guy on the bench to be worse than the guy Marvin is playing.  .  .  until the guy on the bench gets to play.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 03:55 PM)Wyche Wrote: Well yeah, he did earn his way on the field.....but the point I was making was that people didn't want Lafell gone for a 7th rounder to see action.  It was for a 2nd and 1st rounder.  FWIW, I was indifferent on Lafell, but wanted an upgrade.  He was a decent stop gap, and did well in that role.  He's nowhere near as dynamic as Tyler Boyd.

Literally anyone that can catch a football is an upgrade over Core though, that should be abundantly clear at this point.  

I remember people clamoring for Core.  I assume Lafell was the dastardly WR keeping him off the field, at the time.  
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 03:55 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: The fact of the matter is, lafell sucked,

Lafell should of never been signed. Very cheap decision. Go out and get a real #2.

Since 2010 (LaFell's rookie year) only 32 WRs have over 400 receptions.  Among those 32 LaFell ranks 14th in yards per catch.

He does not suck.  He has started 90 games for 4 different teams.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 03:55 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: The fact of the matter is, lafell sucked,and cody core sucked. If tate comes out and sucks,YES find out the okther guys potential. Dont just keep the sucky guy in there till we are out of it. Lafell should of never been signed. Very cheap decision. Go out and get a real #2. Tyler boyd probably could of been good year #2. But most the targets were going to labum by design. 

Lafell didn't suck, though.  The guy was a cheap vet stop-gap and his ho-hum production was miles ahead of Core's.  I think people just have a tendency to get bored with mediocre vets because it's so easy to assume every rookie behind him could be a star.

Lafell was always a rather "meh" WR to us, but while Lafell was here/in Oakland being "meh" Cody Core went from "late round gem" to "needs to be cut ASAP."  
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 04:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Since 2010 (LaFell's rookie year) only 32 WRs have over 400 receptions.  Among those 32 LaFell ranks 14th in yards per catch.

He does not suck.  He has started 90 games for 4 different teams.

He sucks as a number 2 or even 1. I dont care what the stats say. He played in new england where everybody can play there with brady and bill in that system. They plug in a guy like hogan and he does well. Lafell should be a #3 or #4 option, but with the bengals they were giving him tons of snaps and targets. And wonder why our offense sucked. Look at him on the raiders still getting garbage time numbers. His teams offense sucks every team except the pats.
Reply/Quote
Plot twist...

That wasn't really Cody Core, but it was Dan Coats in a Core jersey.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 04:08 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: He sucks as a number 2 or even 1. I dont care what the stats say. He played in new england where everybody can play there with brady and bill in that system. They plug in a guy like hogan and he does well. Lafell should be a #3 or #4 option, but with the bengals they were giving him tons of snaps and targets. And wonder why our offense sucked. Look at him on the raiders still getting garbage time numbers. His teams offense sucks every team except the pats.

He could be the #3 option here, rather than Core.  But we all know if Lafell were on the field here we would want Core out there instead of him.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 03:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I remember people clamoring for Core.  I assume Lafell was the dastardly WR keeping him off the field, at the time.  

Maybe some were.....but in my mind, Boyd and Ross are why Lafell is no longer here.  Green is 1, Boyd is 2, Ross is 3.  There's no room for Lafell.  He didn't want to stay here as a backup.  Without injury, Lafell would have not seen much of the field here.  Now that we have an injury, his departure looms large.

Still, I'd let the training staff send a guy out there in pads before I'd let Core have one more damn snap.

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 04:22 PM)Wyche Wrote: Still, I'd let the training staff send a guy out there in pads before I'd let Core have one more damn snap.

So what you are saying is that we need to cut our training staff in order to get Core enough playing time to get his confidence up so he can become the gem we know him to be?  
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 04:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So what you are saying is that we need to cut our training staff in order to get Core enough playing time to get his confidence up so he can become the gem we know him to be?  

Something like that..... Mellow

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 04:08 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: He sucks as a number 2 or even 1. I dont care what the stats say.

His teams offense sucks every team except the pats.

Actually a majority of his career he has played for a team with an offense in the top half of the league.

LaFell was the #2 receiver in Carolina in 2011 when they had the #7 offense in the league, and he was the #2 WR in 2012 when they had the #12 offense.

He was the #2 WR in New England (hand picked in free agency by Belichick) when they had the #4 offense in the league in 2014, and despite just playing 11 games in '15 he had 515 yards for the #6 offense in the league.

He was the #2 receiver here in '16 when we had the #13 offense in the league.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 02:27 PM)Wyche Wrote: Maybe, maybe not.  At the beginning of the season, the offense was running a SHIT TON of multiple TE sets, which allowed us to throw, and run from the same set.  In the first Ravens game, Eifert and Kroft had two catches a piece, and Uzomah three, IIRC.  Mixon was able to find daylight as well.  We are now down to Uzomah and Lengel.  That's as big as, if not bigger than losing Green for a few games.

From what I've read and seen, this offense was going to rely heavily on the TEs.....that doesn't pan out so well when your 3rd stringer is now the #1.

True, but if we actually had an OL and depth at WR we could adjust for the bad luck at TE. Could run the ball more, etc. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 04:51 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: True, but if we actually had an OL and depth at WR we could adjust for the bad luck at TE. Could run the ball more, etc. 

That's a problem too, no doubt.

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 04:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually a majority of his career he has played for a team with an offense in the top half of the league.

LaFell was the #2 receiver in Carolina in 2011 when they had the #7 offense in the league, and he was the #2 WR in 2012 when they had the #12 offense.

He was the #2 WR in New England (hand picked in free agency by Belichick) when they had the #4 offense in the league in 2014, and despite just playing 11 games in '15 he had 515 yards for the #6 offense in the league.

He was the #2 receiver here in '16 when we had the #13 offense in the league.
Once again,everybody can play in new england,im not sure about carolina but i bet if youd ask them theyd probably say he sucked.  As for 16? Haha what was our record with him he was so dissapointing. Stats dont tell the whole story. 2017 id watch joe goodberrys game tape breakdown and hed show why lafell was just bad,and hed get targeted and installed in the gameplan. We out right was bad on offense with him. 
Reply/Quote