Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colbert vs. Trump
Saw a nice Colbert monologue (You Tube it if you wish)... The Grrrrrrrrrreat and powerful Trump bailed on an interview with a CBS reporter and Colbert took him to task for it - with jokes.

Among other zingers, he said the only thing Trump's mouth was good for was being "Putin's **** Holster."

So, one, he expanded my vocabulary as I have now added **** Holster to my personal lexicon.

Two, the head of the FCC is threatening to castrate and blind Colbert, or do whatever else he decides may be "appropriate."

Luckily for Stephen, Trump has a history of appointing people to jobs who know nothing about the jobs they now hold, so I am not overly concerned. Just found it interesting, tragic and comic and surreal all rolled into one.

Thoughts?
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Don't poke the (Russian) bear.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-PESD

It gets rolling at post #10.
I'll just copy and paste my reply:

Quote:So now that we are talking about Colbert, where are all the "free speech" defenders?

Why aren't they complaining about the FCC (under Trump) investigating something said about Trump and possibly taking away someone's free speech.

Which is like exactly what they should be doing versus complaining about someone cancelling their own speech because of protesters that had nothing to do with the government restricting their speech.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Real journalists run everything by the government first so they can censor what they feel appropriate.

I'm sure that's what the tea party line has always been.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-06-2017, 06:13 PM)xxlt Wrote: Saw a nice Colbert monologue (You Tube it if you wish)... The Grrrrrrrrrreat and powerful Trump bailed on an interview with a CBS reporter and Colbert took him to task for it - with jokes.

Among other zingers, he said the only thing Trump's mouth was good for was being "Putin's **** Holster."

So, one, he expanded my vocabulary as I have now added **** Holster to my personal lexicon.

Two, the head of the FCC is threatening to castrate and blind Colbert, or do whatever else he decides may be "appropriate."

Luckily for Stephen, Trump has a history of appointing people to jobs who know nothing about the jobs they now hold, so I am not overly concerned. Just found it interesting, tragic and comic and surreal all rolled into one.

Thoughts?

First of all Obama appointed Ajit Pai to the FCC; Trump simply promoted him

Secondly, In Obama's 8 years as POTUS; I'm not sure any TV talk show personally crossed the line that Colbert crossed

Thirdly, I find the phrase and the entire attempt at an insult to be homophobic; but, I flying solo on that one around here

Fourthly, Colbert has the right to say what he said; if you don't like it change the channel

Fifthly, I remember when Trump was just starting his Campaign. Colbert had him on and thought it would be funny to try and compare Trump's quotes to some things Colbert said while in character. Trump made him look foolish. Colbert's most likely still salty behind that:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=colbert+trump+who+sid+it&view=detail&mid=7FE4A1F7CCC79CCD17507FE4A1F7CCC79CCD1750&FORM=VIRE

He even tried the despicable tactic of trying to compare Trump to Charles Manson
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-06-2017, 09:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: First of all Obama appointed Ajit Pai to the FCC; Trump simply promoted him

The investigation comes from "complaints". Probably the same 12 people who complained about Janet Jackson's nipple slip.

(05-06-2017, 09:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Secondly, In Obama's 8 years as POTUS; I'm not sure any TV talk show personally crossed the line that Colbert crossed

Depends on how you define the "line". Colbert said Trump would suck Putin. I suppose if someone considered that "Bad" they would think it was an insult to people to perform such acts on each other instead of a sign of love for each other.

(05-06-2017, 09:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Thirdly, I find the phrase and the entire attempt at an insult to be homophobic; but, I flying solo on that one around here

See the line above.

(05-06-2017, 09:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Fourthly, Colbert has the right to say what he said; if you don't like it change the channel

Totally agree. If Colbert loses advertising and viewers that s the proper response...not government interference.

(05-06-2017, 09:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Fifthly, I remember when Trump was just starting his Campaign. Colbert had him on and thought it would be funny to try and compare Trump's quotes to some things Colbert said while in character. Trump made him look foolish. Colbert's most likely still salty behind that:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=colbert+trump+who+sid+it&view=detail&mid=7FE4A1F7CCC79CCD17507FE4A1F7CCC79CCD1750&FORM=VIRE

I'll have to watch as I don't remember it, but of the two people involved do really think Colbert would be the one to remain salty about something versus the thin-skinned tweet machine?

(05-06-2017, 09:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: He even tried the despicable tactic of trying to compare Trump to Charles Manson

Well, they were both outsiders. Smirk
(05-07-2017, 11:36 AM)GMDino Wrote: Depends on how you define the "line".  Colbert said Trump would suck Putin.  I suppose if someone considered that "Bad" they would think it was an insult to people to perform such acts on each other instead of a sign of love for each other.

See the line above.

EXACTLY. Colbert's intent was to insult; therefore. his results were homophobic.

Don't answer publically, because you are not going to be forthright. But do you and/or anybody else referred to Trump having a homosexual relationship with Putin for any other purpose but to insult?

(05-07-2017, 11:55 AM)bfine32 Wrote: EXACTLY. Colbert's intent was to insult; therefore. his results were homophobic.

Don't answer publically, because you are not going to be forthright. But do you and/or anybody else referred to Trump having a homosexual relationship with Putin for any other purpose but to insult?

Is it an insult to imply two men have a homosexual love for one another?

If you think it is then you think it's an insult.

I think it was used to show the intimate closeness of their relationship.

Edit: Was think a little more and it could also be used to show Trump's subservience to Putin. Also an insult, but not homophobic unless you think the act itself is bad and homophobic.
(05-07-2017, 11:55 AM)bfine32 Wrote: EXACTLY. Colbert's intent was to insult; therefore. his results were homophobic.

I still don't understand how you think it was an insult, but not insulting. If an insult isn't insulting then it isn't an insult; it's a comment.
(05-07-2017, 02:03 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I still don't understand how you think it was an insult, but not insulting. If an insult isn't insulting then it isn't an insult; it's a comment.

Well, there are many commentators who do not comment - they merely talk and say nothing. See Fox News circa 1996 - present for examples.

So, with that precedent in mind, we must consider the possibility that there are insults that are not insulting. This phenomenon would seem to have its greatest potential in certain echo chambers and alternative realities, ala those created in certain media spheres including but not limited to the aforementioned one.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(05-07-2017, 02:29 PM)xxlt Wrote: Well, there are many commentators who do not comment - they merely talk and say nothing. See Fox News circa 1996 - present for examples.

So, with that precedent in mind, we must consider the possibility that there are insults that are not insulting. This phenomenon would seem to have its greatest potential in certain echo chambers and alternative realities, ala those created in certain media spheres including but not limited to the aforementioned one.

Well I have said Colbert's intent was to insult and he did so by suggesting Trump and Putin engage in homosexual activity. I don't find it insulting. I find it sophomoric, in poor taste, and homophobic. Others here have stated they find it insulting and you are just happy to have learned a new phrase

But I have learned here that he most likely said kock holster as a term to show endearment between the two men.

Next time you see two homosexual men in public let them know you understand the mutual relationship of love and respect they have by referring to their mouths as kock holsters. I'm sure Dino will.

(05-07-2017, 06:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well I have said Colbert's intent was to insult and he did so by suggesting Trump and Putin engage in homosexual activity. I don't find it insulting. I find it sophomoric, in poor taste, and homophobic. Others here have stated they find it insulting and you are just happy to have learned a new phrase

But I have learned here that he most likely said kock holster as a term to show endearment between the two men.

Next time you see two homosexual men in public let them know you understand the mutual relationship of love and respect they have by referring to their mouths as kock holsters. I'm sure Dino will.

Sorry I don't share your feeling about the act and its implicit homophobia.

[Image: 54496031.jpg]
(05-07-2017, 12:54 PM)GMDino Wrote: Edit: Was think a little more and it could also be used to show Trump's subservience to Putin.  Also an insult, but not homophobic unless you think the act itself is bad and homophobic.

...or if you consider the person performing oral sex in a homosexual relationship to be subservient. Perhaps you and Colbert see eye to eye on that.

The Right will be outraged while the Left will applaud and when someone on the Right says anything about someone on the Left then the Left will be outraged and the Right will applaud.

What should be happening is that no matter who it is and where their ideology stands, they should shamed and fired. If Hannity or anybody on the Right said anything like what Colbert said about Obama, every media outlet would have crucified him, shamed him and he would be fired from every single show he is on(I know he's on the radio and tv but don't know if he's anywhere else).

You see, this is why every person on the Right believes the Cable News Networks and the Big three are biased against the Right. Colbert should have been fired by now and every News outlet should have been calling for him to be fired. That has not happened...at all.

We have a big problem in this country and that problem is that both the Left and the Right get their news from the opinion shows and Op-Ed's. They flock to those who they agree with and take everything they say as gospel. There are no more "News" shows, it's all opinion.
(05-07-2017, 07:30 PM)GMDino Wrote: Sorry I don't share your feeling about the act and its implicit homophobia.

[Image: 54496031.jpg]
Are you suggesting Bfine's a "Clopper" ?

I guess he does claim to have a horse "appendage".
(05-07-2017, 06:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well I have said Colbert's intent was to insult and he did so by suggesting Trump and Putin engage in homosexual activity. I don't find it insulting. I find it sophomoric, in poor taste, and homophobic. Others here have stated they find it insulting and you are just happy to have learned a new phrase

I have learned an insult isn't insulting. Although I'm still wondering how to tell an insult is an insult if the insult isn't insulting.
I remember when late night hosts used to have classier jokes when it came to the potus, no matter how big of a turd or sleeze he was.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(05-07-2017, 09:55 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I remember when late night hosts used to have classier jokes when it came to the potus, no matter how big of a turd or sleeze he was.

I remember when they couldn't say the word "pregnant" on television, or show a married couple in the same bed, because of what it might do to poor little Johnny and Jane's fragile minds and moral compass.
(05-07-2017, 09:21 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: The Right will be outraged while the Left will applaud and when someone on the Right says anything about someone on the Left then the Left will be outraged and the Right will applaud.

What should be happening is that no matter who it is and where their ideology stands, they should shamed and fired. If Hannity or anybody on the Right said anything like what Colbert said about Obama, every media outlet would have crucified him, shamed him and he would be fired from every single show he is on(I know he's on the radio and tv but don't know if he's anywhere else).

You see, this is why every person on the Right believes the Cable News Networks and the Big three are biased against the Right. Colbert should have been fired by now and every News outlet should have been calling for him to be fired. That has not happened...at all.

We have a big problem in this country and that problem is that both the Left and the Right get their news from the opinion shows and Op-Ed's. They flock to those who they agree with and take everything they say as gospel. There are no more "News" shows, it's all opinion.

Here I thought the right was smart enough to know there is a difference between a late night comedy show whose host came from comedy central. And their mind melting "news" source.

Quick fact. Colberts show is a comedic act.

Little snowflakes sure are funny.
(05-07-2017, 07:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: ...or if you consider the person performing oral sex in a homosexual relationship to be subservient. Perhaps you and Colbert see eye to eye on that.

Not "subserviant".  Just deeply in love.

Either is bad for the President of the US and Putin.

Would you consider it an insult if Colbert had said "bicycle seat for Benazir Bhutto" instaed?   Or would you have considered it a compliment that Trump would be able to score with the leader of Pakistan?