Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Collins SIGNED!
I was just hoping they would address the line. This is all much better than expected. Good signing!
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 08:42 AM)bengals1969 Wrote: There are no immediate needs for 2022 that the draft can address. But there are need’s everywhere starting in 2023. Take out QB and every position  can use talent.

You can get an impact guy at CB or DL at 31st in the draft, absolutely. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 11:21 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
Ok, I’m back to being confused again lol. So we DO have him for 3 years?

It appears to be the same deal they did with Reiff last year and why the team has dead money on Reiff in 2022. They take the 22 million and spread most of it over 3 years reducing the cap hit in years 1 and 2. Then if they don't come up with an extension, they have dead money in year 3, if they extend him, then no dead money.

It is cap gymnastics every team is doing right now banking on more cap money available in 2023 and beyond due to 17 game schedule and new TV contracts.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 08:03 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I hear ya, but if a guy they like is there at 31, you don't give up that 5th year option for just a 4th round pick.  I don't care what the value chart says.  An extra year paying a guy like Linderbaum next to nothing on his rookie deal is priceless...

It really depends on position and center isnt one of them, as much as Linderbaum might help.  A CB or DE would be much more valuable with that 5th year option.  If a QB falls to us we need to take full advantage - value chart is out the window.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 01:47 AM)Science Friction Wrote: All I can say is Good God Almighty !!!  What a freak! This dude may kill somebody and then eat 'em for lunch. My Lord!!!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1505723391046828034

Shocked

That is one big, fast, mean, dude!!!
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 08:03 AM)SHRacerX Wrote:  An extra year paying a guy like Linderbaum next to nothing on his rookie deal is priceless...

The fifth year option on a first round pick is not cheap.  I think it is something like the franchise tag money.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 11:54 PM)pulses Wrote: Would love to have Breece Hall. On top of that he's cousins with former 49ers RB Roger Craig.

Yes, he is my favorite RB in this Draft. I just think he will go early. Somebody will take a chance on him even if RB's 
going really early is a thing of the past. We will see if this is the case with Breece. His vision, hands, patience and his 
athleticism is off the charts. Think he will be great in the NFL.

(03-20-2022, 11:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: To put this in perspective...they've been trying to fix the line for like 5 years.

I know, in the end just had to fork out the dough. This is how you do it. Pay Cappa for 4 years, Karras and La'el Collins
for 3 while having promising players in Jonah, Carman and D'Ante Smith to hopefully make big strides.

(03-21-2022, 12:29 AM)pulses Wrote: Yes he is. But we need someone to take Perine's spot. More of a bruiser. Evans is not that type of back.

A bruiser with speed would be fantastic. If we draft a RB he will have to pick up the blitz first and next have good hands
so he is versatile and it is unpredictable when he is on the field. This is key to having a top Offense, no more of those 
predictable sets where you know what is coming. Still even then with this right side we can still run all over teams. Also 
Carman and Jonah are good run blockers. 

Imagine how much La'el can help out a mauler like Carman.

(03-21-2022, 12:31 AM)QueenCity Wrote: I agree... also I could see us running the ball even more this season with our new line.  Need to limit the damage a long season takes on running backs you really need two these days.

This is a run blocking O-line alright, what is great is they are also good pass protectors besides Carman at this moment.

We will see how Carman and D'Ante grow with these guys to learn from. So true, you need at least 2 backs that spell eachother.

I like Evans but he didn't get many touches as a rookie, need to see more than that to spell Mixon who should have a great year
with this OL. Been waiting to see what Mixon could do with a great run blocking OL, now we get to see, I am extremely excited.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 01:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:   no more of those predictable sets where you know what is coming. 

Don't know what you are talking about heere.

Most of our runs last year were with 1 back in shotgun formation.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 01:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't know what you are talking about heere.

Most were, but there were times when you knew what was coming. The difference is now, we have an OL that can open 
up holes regardless. Just saying if we add a RB he better know how to pick up the blitz and catch the ball so any play is 
open on the play call for Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 01:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't know what you are talking about heere.

Would love to see this team run more from behind center and play action off of it. 

Thats the problem with running in shotgun, play action isn't nearly as effective. 
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 01:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Most were, but there were times when you knew what was coming. The difference is now, we have an OL that can open 
up holes regardless. Just saying if we add a RB he better know how to pick up the blitz and catch the ball so any play is 
open on the play call for Burrow.

You knew what was coming not because of formation but be cause of tendencies.
Reply/Quote
So I'm a Dodgers fan...and the last 2-3 years...it feels like the Bengals have been operating like the Dodgers where they go out and get players they want.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 01:50 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Would love to see this team run more from behind center and play action off of it. 

Thats the problem with running in shotgun, play action isn't nearly as effective. 

Yes, this could really help the Offense as a whole. Burrow playing more under Center with Mixon behind Burrow.

We didn't run this Offense near enough last season IMO. Play Action can be so much more effective in these sets.

I do like the Shotgun with the RB next to Burrow cause it helps to have a guy back there with him to pickup the blitz but it
still isn't as effective as you say in the running game. Burrow just likes the empty sets so much where everyone knows what
is coming but even than Burrow makes it work as we have seen.

(03-21-2022, 01:51 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You knew what was coming not because of formation but be cause of tendencies.

True.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 01:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Most were, but there were times when you knew what was coming.

How did you know what was coming?

EVERY TEAM in the league is more likely to throw out of empty backfield, not just the Bengals.

EVERY TEAM in the league is more likely to run with 2 TE or a FB in the game.

This new O-line is not going to change any of that.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 02:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How did you know what was coming?

EVERY TEAM in the league is more likely to throw out of empty backfield, not just the Bengals.

EVERY TEAM in the league is more likely to run with 2 TE or a FB in the game.

This new O-line is not going to change any of that.

Tendencies as Weezy just said. I am talking about adding a RB, I think you are getting confused and going off track as usual 
and just want to argue as that is your tendency. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 02:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Tendencies as Weezy just said. 

Oh, I see.

Just that when someone says "predictable sets" I assume they are talking about "sets".

And I don't see how our O-line will effect our tendencies.   We may run the ball more often but we are still going to throw the ball over half of the time.  And we will still have most of our runs from the shotgun formation because it does NOT indicate we are going to run the ball.
Reply/Quote
WHO DEY GLAD HE SIGNED!!!!
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 02:12 PM)magikod Wrote: WHO DEY GLAD HE SIGNED!!!!

Great day to be a Bengals fan isn't it Judge? Rock On
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 02:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Oh, I see.

Just that when someone says "predictable sets" I assume they are talking about "sets".

And I don't see how our O-line will effect our tendencies.   We may run the ball more often but we are still going to throw the ball over half of the time.  And we will still have most of our runs from the shotgun formation because it does NOT indicate we are going to run the ball.

Agree with you here Fred. Sure helps when you are effective at both run and pass blocking. Something that hasn't been the 
case for years. It can erase tendencies more so than if you are trying to just do what you are good at. If you are good at 
everything it honestly doesn't matter.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 11:48 AM)SladeX Wrote: Im thinking any lingering doubts about the FO should be erased by now, with this signing. I never was worried about this offseason in particular,  but I understood it, having lived through the utter betrayal that was Mike’s early tenure. Day after day, week after week, season after season of bone crunching bone headed moves. For my part, I will never mention them again. New Dey, indeed.

Yes, I was very skeptical and downright cynical. Then they got McKenzie, Waynes, and Reader one year, then a spending frenzy last off-season, so I gave them a pretty long leash this year. They've been fantastic the last three years, in all honesty. As I keep asking, who are these people, and what have they done with Mike Brown?  Smirk

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote