Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Collins SIGNED!
(03-21-2022, 01:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The fifth year option on a first round pick is not cheap.  I think it is something like the franchise tag money.

Not at 31 and not remotely close to a FT
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 02:42 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Not at 31 and not remotely close to a FT

I thought the same. Happy we still have our 31st pick and La'el Collins, this is ideal. Now we can go BPA and man do I like the 
Defensive players that should be available for us in the first 3 rounds. Devonte Wyatt, Trevor Jones, Andrew Booth, Kaair Elam, 
McCreary, Winfrey, Boye Mafe etc.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 02:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I thought the same. Happy we still have our 31st pick and La'el Collins, this is ideal. Now we can go BPA and man do I like the 
Defensive players that should be available for us in the first 3 rounds. Devonte Wyatt, Trevor Jones, Andrew Booth, Kaair Elam, 

I've been looking at defensive lineman more lately.  With Lamar and now Watson twice a year it seems reasonable.  I'm not opposed to a CB pick though.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 03:19 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I've been looking at defensive lineman more lately.  With Lamar and now Watson twice a year it seems reasonable.  

What is awesome is how we played Lamar so well last season with Hubbard and company. This is why I am not concerned
about Watson near as much as normally I would be. We get Ossai back this season along with Hubert our 7th round pick who
was extremely productive at Kansas State and can add more to the DL in this draft that is very deep.

Keep building up the trenches on both sides of the ball and we will win lots of games with Joe Burrow. Cannot say enough how
happy I am with us adding the dudes we did on the Offensive side this FA. This is what Championship teams do.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 03:19 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I've been looking at defensive lineman more lately.  With Lamar and now Watson twice a year it seems reasonable.  I'm not opposed to a CB pick though.

Can never have enough Pass Rushers or Corners. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 03:23 PM)Synric Wrote: Can never have enough Pass Rushers or Corners. 

We had that run of drafting corners in the 1st, I think short of us getting Gilmore which is unlikely we will be open to that idea again if the right one falls. 
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 02:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I thought the same. Happy we still have our 31st pick and La'el Collins, this is ideal. Now we can go BPA and man do I like the 

Mafe tore his Achilles during his pro day, unfortunately.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 03:25 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Mafe tore his Achilles during his pro day, unfortunately.

Ahhh man. First I heard this.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 03:19 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I've been looking at defensive lineman more lately.  With Lamar and now Watson twice a year it seems reasonable.  I'm not opposed to a CB pick though.

I’ve been looking at mid to late round guys similar to Ossai who could rotate in as situational pass rushers; Bonitto or Barno types.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 03:23 PM)Synric Wrote: Can never have enough Pass Rushers or Corners. 

And they are two of the most expensive positions to fill in free agency.

Draft some every year to make sure you don't run out.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 03:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Ahhh man. First I heard this.  Mellow

Sorry, I’m wrong. It was Ojabo.
Reply/Quote

You are correct.  It is based on draft slot instead of active player salary at the same position.

I was just thinking of our recent first round selections which were all taken in the top 10.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 02:41 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yes, I was very skeptical and downright cynical. Then they got McKenzie, Waynes, and Reader one year, then a spending frenzy last off-season, so I gave them a pretty long leash this year. They've been fantastic the last three years, in all honesty. As I keep asking, who are these people, and what have they done with Mike Brown?  Smirk

Has anyone considered that maybe it is not Brown and that Brown lets his coaches run the team as they see fit according to the plan they have built? Marvin Lewis never kept it a secret that he did not like free agency and it also appeared he was not very good at it since most of his acquisitions turned into flops. However, it was always Mike Brown that bore the brunt of the fans frustration.

Step in Taylor and company and the outlook and activity of free agency is vastly different. Was it Mike Brown or Marvin Lewis that kept us out of the big free agency market?
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 03:24 PM)Au165 Wrote: We had that run of drafting corners in the 1st, I think short of us getting Gilmore which is unlikely we will be open to that idea again if the right one falls. 

I would say Corner will be higher on their draft board but Defensive Line class is good this year so that's hard to pass up. If they trade back and stay around the top 40 Perrion Winfrey is high on my board. #31 would be a little reach for Winfrey but not a big one. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 03:38 PM)Synric Wrote: I would say Corner will be higher on their draft board but Defensive Line class is good this year so that's hard to pass up. If they trade back and stay around the top 40 Perrion Winfrey is high on my board. #31 would be a little reach for Winfrey but not a big one. 

Winfrey started out the year graded higher, then slipped some.  But he really came on strong late. To the point where he was an MVP at the senior bowl.  I think he would be a good add even if he is a slight reach.  
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 03:34 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Sorry, I’m wrong. It was Ojabo.

Okay, still wanting Mafe then. 
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 03:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Okay, still wanting Mafe then. 

Being 260 and running low 4.5's he's caught my eye too.  
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 10:20 PM)Go Cards Wrote: No offense but when I was poking fun at DennyG for griping you chimed in and stated that "he was right to be doing so" merely hours ago ? 

Oh well I'm too happy to care and understand peoples frustration per wanting Collins so badly. 

Go Bengals !

No offense but you are incorrect. See below the previous conversation:

Yesterday, 07:13 PM

(Yesterday, 07:01 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Wrote:A negative comment from Denny G

Wow !

And unfortunately he may be incorrect. There job is fiscal responsibility to keep this team competitive year in and year out rather than being caught in fire sales like you are seeing take place with the Cowboys.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 03:37 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Has anyone considered that maybe it is not Brown and that Brown lets his coaches run the team as they see fit according to the plan they have built?

No because when Coslett became coach with the Jets they were more active in free agency than the Bengals ever were.

It is absurd to believe that the Bengals hired the only 4 coaches in the NFL that don't want to sign free agents Shula, Coslett, LeBeau, Lewis.

(03-21-2022, 03:37 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Marvin Lewis never kept it a secret that he did not like free agency

Marvin never said he did not like free agency.  He just had to play the hand the front office dealt him.  And he was correct when he said that teams should sign and keep their own top players instead of replacing them with guys from other teams that might not work out.
Reply/Quote

So the answer is...it depends. The 5th year option used to be a bit lower and more slot based but that got changed in the 2020 CBA.
Now yhe 5th year option has some weird quirks to it to modify it's value including play time and pro bowl modifiers. At pick 31, if a player achieved multiple pro bowls it is possible that player could very well be in line for a FT deal. For example, the player up for a 5th year option this year off pick 31 is Kaleb McGary a RT. If he would have hit multiple pro bowls he'd be looking at a 5th year option of 16.6 million while the franchise tag was in fact the exact same number. Now if he wasn't a pro bowl player and just a consistent starter that number would have dropped to 13.3 million so would have been a savings.
Reply/Quote