Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collins released
More than a little surprised they didn't do this before now. Collins was one of those FAs that just didn't work out. It was all exacerbated by his bluster about protecting JB when he first got here.

Wish him well, but it's now clear he's on the back side of his career....especially since no one picked him up immediately after he was released.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 11:34 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: More than a little surprised they didn't do this before now.  Collins was one of those FAs that just didn't work out.  It was all exacerbated by his bluster about protecting JB when he first got here.

Wish him well, but it's now clear he's on the back side of his career....especially since no one picked him up immediately after he was released.

I assume they had to wait for him to pass a physical or else we could have had to pay an extra 1mil+ injury settlement. 
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 10:46 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Glad he's gone. Cordy Glenn 2.0. Get him outta here before he may be required to block TJ Watt again! I wouldn't be opposed to letting Frank Pollack join him.

Firing Frank Pollock needs to have happened like 2 years ago...
Reply/Quote
Anyone know when Pollack's contract with Bengals is set to end?
He's now in Year 3, and I don't really see the OL improved much at all from when Turner was the OL coach.

Here were the Sacks Allowed counts since 2018, which was Pollack's first stint with the Bengals.

2018 - 37
2019 - 48
2020 - 48
2021 - 55
2022 - 44

Pollack's average over 2 years is 49.5 sacks per season.
Turner's is 48.

By no means am I clamoring for Turner to come back (he was trash), but this has to be Pollack's last opportunity to turn things around.
He's not getting it done in the run game or pass game.
If he keeps this pace though of "just" 2 sacks per game allowed based on the Browns game, that will end up around 35 sacks in the regular season, which would be the fewest by far in the Taylor era.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't think Turner was 2018. I think that was actually Pollack.

But it is interesting to see there isn't much difference.

edit: I see you said 2018 was Pollacks first year.

It's just unfortunately we've struggled to solve this Oline issue since Alexander.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
IIRC ? Collins was very good run blocker but very, very, average at pass pro, to put it nicely. Throw in the back issues and then knee. And I'm a little surprised they didn't release him way before now?

Would it have been nice to have had him as a backup if healthy? yes But I doubt they'd pay a backup his money? So, I'm not shocked.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 12:39 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: IIRC ? Collins was very good run blocker but very, very, average at pass pro, to put it nicely. Throw in the back issues and then knee. And I'm a little surprised they didn't release him way before now?

Would it have been nice to have had him as a backup if healthy? yes But I doubt they'd pay a backup his money? So, I'm not shocked.

Exactly, although he was still arguably better than Jonah.

Collins last year:
Snaps - 951
Sacks - 5
Pressures - 34

Jonah:
Snaps - 1101
Sacks - 12
Pressures - 43

Collins played 86% of the snaps that Jonah did.
If Jonah played the same number of snaps, he would have allowed approx. 10 sacks, 37 pressures
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Can we fire Pollack?
Reply/Quote
Joe Goodberry speculated that the main reason Collins was released was money saved to put towards a Higgins tag/extension.

$7 mill saved this year, which would rollover to next year. $7 mill more saved for next year, putting total saved at $14 mill.
That would cover over 50% of a tag for Higgins ($25 mill).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 10:24 AM)Wyche Wrote: Speaking of the Stoolers, what's the word on Heyward?

Heyward is out for a while is what I heard
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
This is one of those cases where everyone is being cryptic which makes me curious if there is something else going on here.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 12:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Anyone know when Pollack's contract with Bengals is set to end?
He's now in Year 3, and I don't really see the OL improved much at all from when Turner was the OL coach.

Here were the Sacks Allowed counts since 2018, which was Pollack's first stint with the Bengals.

2018 - 37
2019 - 48
2020 - 48
2021 - 55
2022 - 44

Turner's is 48.

By no means am I clamoring for Turner to come back (he was trash), but this has to be Pollack's last opportunity to turn things around.
If he keeps this pace though of "just" 2 sacks per game allowed based on the Browns game, that will end up around 35 sacks in the regular season, which would be the fewest by far in the Taylor era.

The Bengals have a weird way of wanting us to want the guy they just fired back.

When Turner was here, they couldn't run the ball. At all. Like none. And I remember when the offensive coaches changed the blocking scheme and it worked. And there was a narrative that Pollack could figure out how to run with a bad line.

Now Pollack is here and people want Turner back.
Reply/Quote
SO Bengals OL coaches over the years. The best was McNally. Then Paul Alexander, Turner, Pollack and Pollack. Wow. Please get a new OL coach and PLEASE draft good OL personnel. Bloody Hell.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 04:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Bengals have a weird way of wanting us to want the guy they just fired back.

When Turner was here, they couldn't run the ball. At all. Like none. And I remember when the offensive coaches changed the blocking scheme and it worked. And there was a narrative that Pollack could figure out how to run with a bad line.

Now Pollack is here and people want Turner back.

Who wants Turner back?
I said I don't want Turner back.
I'm just not a fan of Pollack either up to this point.
I think Pollack, Turner, and Alexander have all had a common problem when getting bad OL - they draft athletic OL who are projects (in some aspects) coming in and those guys just haven't turned into actual good players.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Turner was still here in 2020. Remember MJ? Turner pet project who got Burrow injured?
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 12:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Anyone know when Pollack's contract with Bengals is set to end?

2018 - 37
2019 - 48
2020 - 48
2021 - 55
2022 - 44

Turner's is 48.

Go look at Jets 2019 and 20 sack numbers where he wS before he came back here, they are really high there 
Reply/Quote
Couldn’t we just trade him to say…I dunno I hear the Browns need a R tackle. Is there a reason why we didn’t try to get anything for him? I know he’s coming off an injury and didn’t play very well last year but damn, couldn’t we get a 7th rounder?

And like others said, he’s better than the backups we have. Maybe he couldn’t be traded due to the injury.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 02:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Joe Goodberry speculated that the main reason Collins was released was money saved to put towards a Higgins tag/extension.

$7 mill saved this year, which would rollover to next year. $7 mill more saved for next year, putting total saved at $14 mill.
That would cover over 50% of a tag for Higgins ($25 mill).

Whether it's for Higgins or not the rolled money helps.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 06:15 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: https://x.com/fieldyates/status/1701703150800126257?s=46&t=KykfZ347urC7n4SwKapNFg

This team makes me want to drink.

Don’t understand this one at all he was far better than any of the back ups we’ve now got in the squad.

Stupid decision.

Yeah, don't get this one. 

Hopefully it is to re-sign La'el for a touch cheaper or somethin' or give Reader an extension as others have said.
Reply/Quote
I don't like this considering we lost the SB due to OL/OL injuries. Jonah isn't the most healthy person either. Plus we would have had a swing tackle in Jonah if something happened to OBJr. I don't know what saving that money will really do for us, but maybe there's something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about. There's a good chance that LC said he wanted out since he doesn't want to be a backup.
Reply/Quote