Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Combine Results - Wide Receivers/Tight Ends
(03-04-2017, 05:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We would be the first team that would be seriously looking at the guy no doubt.

I would not be against that speed, who would? That is rare stuff, very rare and it is not like he has hands of stone.

If we can shore up the O-line and draft a player like Ross and a versatile RB our Offense could be scary good.

We need to be spending our early picks on o-line and d-line. Everybody seems to forget we got Core last year who ran a 4.34 40. The teams needs to stop getting enamored by the shiny penny.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 05:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We would be the first team that would be seriously looking at the guy no doubt.

I would not be against that speed, who would? That is rare stuff, very rare and it is not like he has hands of stone.

If we can shore up the O-line and draft a player like Ross and a versatile RB our Offense could be scary good.

He's one of those guys that, if he's near you, he's past you.  And that makes for wide open comeback routes too.  And slants that turn into big plays, etc.  And it would be a serious boon to AJ and then who will cover Eifert?  Adding holy shit speed to the offense helps everyone.  As long as the QB is upright, that is.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I was blown away by the Ross 40. Then came back to earth when i heard he was done for the day with cramping after that and has a shoulder surgery scheduled for this month.

Lot of good receivers with better size good speed and no laundry list of surgeries.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 05:25 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: We need to be spending our early picks on o-line and d-line. Everybody seems to forget we got Core last year who ran a 4.34 40. The teams needs to stop getting enamored by the shiny penny.

What OLineman would we take with the 9th pick in the draft?  And there might not be a DE left who wouldn't be a reach.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
Ross certainly elevated his stock and was getting mentioned as a target for us at 9. I don't think I'd take him that high. His knees scare me some. I still like Davis but I still don't think they go wr at 9.

I think Williams' stock dropped some. Same with Kupp. Henderson's seemed to go up. Juju's also, a bit. Same for the wr from Tennessee. That's my early, untrained eye assessment. Lots of talent there in rounds 2-4.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 05:25 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: We need to be spending our early picks on o-line and d-line. Everybody seems to forget we got Core last year who ran a 4.34 40. The teams needs to stop getting enamored by the shiny penny.

You wanna trade down? Cause that is the only way we take an O-lineman in the first round Yo.

We will take BPA in the first and then hopefully start looking at OL in the 2nd. Elflein or one of the Centers preferably.

(03-04-2017, 05:26 PM)McC Wrote: He's one of those guys that, if he's near you, he's past you.  And that makes for wide open comeback routes too.  And slants that turn into big plays, etc.  And it would be a serious boon to AJ and then who will cover Eifert?  Adding holy shit speed to the offense helps everyone.  As long as the QB is upright, that is.

Sounds like a difference maker to me, not against this at all unless that shoulder injury is serious.

(03-04-2017, 05:28 PM)McC Wrote: What OLineman would we take with the 9th pick in the draft?  And there might not be a DE left who wouldn't be a reach.  

There is no one, maybe Cam Robinson but if we go that route we could trade down and grab him.

I am hoping for a pass rusher more than anything but i think we would be reaching on Taco or Tim Williams at 9.

Might even be reaching for Solomon Thomas. Barnett is the one i don't think we can pass up, if he is there he is a Bengal.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 05:39 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Ross certainly elevated his stock and was getting mentioned as a target for us at 9.  I don't think I'd take him that high.  His knees scare me some.  I still like Davis but I still don't think they go wr at 9.

I think Williams' stock dropped some.  Same with Kupp.  Henderson's seemed to go up.  Juju's also, a bit.  Same for the wr from Tennessee.  That's my early, untrained eye assessment.  Lots of talent there in rounds 2-4.

Dudes with bad knees don't run a 4.22. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 05:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Dudes with bad knees don't run a 4.22. Mellow

Yeah, I know.  But he seems to have had a few surgeries already and little dudes like that making their living off their wheels only have so many strikes before they're out.
Reply/Quote
I do not want Ross in the first. Given he's the fastest dude ever at the combine, but he's slight and had needs a shoulder surgery.

Now some WRs that impressed me that can come later:

Zay Jones

Chris Godwin

Robert Davis

Julian Edelman Ryan Switzer
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 02:49 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I dunno. He's still a diminutive WR. I think this cements him as a top 20 pick, but I'd still be disappointed if we spent a top 10 pick on him.

I would hate the pick. Really dont care to watch Dalton under throw this guy all season. Now if you can fins a WR/TE thats 6'5" that runs a 4.2-4.3 that can leap over the defender for the under thrown balls im all for it.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 05:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You wanna trade down? Cause that is the only way we take an O-lineman in the first round Yo.

We will take BPA in the first and then hopefully start looking at OL in the 2nd. Elflein or one of the Centers preferably.

Sounds like a difference maker to me, not against this at all unless that shoulder injury is serious.

There is no one, maybe Cam Robinson but if we go that route we could trade down and grab him.

I am hoping for a pass rusher more than anything but i think we would be reaching on Taco or Tim Williams at 9.

Might even be reaching for Solomon Thomas. Barnett is the one i don't think we can pass up, if he is there he is a Bengal.

Im all for trading back and taking Barnett or Cunningham/Reddick maybe even Foster now. I know we have tons of picks already but there is no point reaching for someone who will most likely still be there while we get another 2nd round pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 06:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I do not want Ross in the first. Given he's the fastest dude ever at the combine, but he's slight and had needs a shoulder surgery.

Now some WRs that impressed me that can come later:

Zay Jones

Chris Godwin

Robert Davis

Julian Edelman Ryan Switzer

Zay Jones looked very smooth. No problem with him being selected.

Chris Godwin could be a viable Marvin Jones substitute. 6'2, 4.44 speed and king of the jump balls. Something like 50/50 on throws where the QB just tossed it up for him to go get. Hands looked super soft in the gauntlet drill, ball was noticeably quieter when it hit his hands, just from the way he naturally grabbed it.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote

Core ran a 4.47 at the combine last year.
Reply/Quote
Pretty hard to say, at this point, that we shouldn't take this guy or that guy in the first because so much depends on what happens in front of us. Could end up being a back or receiver has the highest grade, or, you guessed it, a CB.

Whoever it is, it has to be an impact player. This cannot be a pick we sit for a year or two.

What ends are in play at 9? Thomas or Barnett? What if they're both gone? Would we take one of the S's?

I just can't see saying don't take a back or receiver in the first when it might be the only viable option without reaching.

Reply/Quote
I'll pass on Ross. Here are the top speed guys at the combine over the course of its existence:

1. Ross
2. Chris Johnson
3. Marquise Goodwin
4. Demarcus Van Dyke and Jacoby Ford
5. Tye Hill, Darius-Heyward Bey, and Yamon Figurs
6. Justin King, Tyvon Branch, Jonathan Joseph, and Keith Marshall

That list is...not inspiring.

At this point, I think I'd rather trade back and pick up some more picks, whether it's 2nd and 3rds, or future picks. The talent at the top and middle and back end isn't a huge drop off.

I realize Ross may be more talented than some of those, but it's a scary proposition. I hope it's not like a Troy Williamson situation. Guy from South Carolina who blew his stock up then flamed out as quick as he ran his 40.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 02:36 PM)Okeana Wrote: John ross may be wearing stripes after that.  He was already considered a top 20 guy.  Just hop he cramped and didn't get hurt.

I'm sold on John Ross. I didn't realize he was that fast, especially coming off the injuries he had before. He can be that deep threat and YAC playmaker that would complement Green, Eifert, and Boyd well. He's near identical size as Brandin Cooks, just about 10 lbs lighter than OBJ but about same height and faster.

I think John Ross now goes in the top 10. If he makes it to the Bengals at 9, I think he either becomes a Bengal or the Bengals trade back with a team that wants him. The Bills definitely need a complement to Watkins, and both the Cardinals and Eagles make sense to trade up to get their WR before the Bills.

Either way, thank you John Ross.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think it's very telling of Mike Williams not running the 40. There were a lot of WRs in the 4.4's, and I don't think Mike Williams would have even hit 4.55. He's a big target, but he lacks some athleticism and explosion. More and more, I think the speculations of him running 4.6+ could be accurate and he wanted to avoid having that happen so his draft stock didn't drop.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'm liking Ross more after the 40 lol. I'd take him or Davis at #9 ,if we don't get a guy in free agency. Also like howard
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 08:25 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: I'll pass on Ross. Here are the top speed guys at the combine over the course of its existence:

1. Ross
2. Chris Johnson
3. Marquise Goodwin
4. Demarcus Van Dyke and Jacoby Ford
5. Tye Hill, Darius-Heyward Bey, and Yamon Figurs
6. Justin King, Tyvon Branch, Jonathan Joseph, and Keith Marshall

That list is...not inspiring.

At this point, I think I'd rather trade back and pick up some more picks, whether it's 2nd and 3rds, or future picks. The talent at the top and middle and back end isn't a huge drop off.
What other guys did has no bearing whatsoever on what he will do as a pro.  That's no more valid than saying WR's from no name colleges who don't run fast 40 times will become Jerry Rice.

I'm not saying we have to take him but I can't see finding reasons not to take him which may or may not even be real.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 08:41 PM)McC Wrote: What other guys did has no bearing whatsoever on what he will do as a pro.  That's no more valid than saying WR's from no name colleges who don't run fast 40 times will become Jerry Rice.

I'm not saying we have to take him but I can't see finding reasons not to take him which may or may not even be real.

Just kind of leery of players who kind of have those "breakout" performances at the combine, I guess. 
Reply/Quote