Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Combine Results - Wide Receivers/Tight Ends
I understand that. But everybody knew he was fast. He was also productive and got into the end zone 17 times the past season in a big time conference.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 05:25 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: We need to be spending our early picks on o-line and d-line. Everybody seems to forget we got Core last year who ran a 4.34 40. The teams needs to stop getting enamored by the shiny penny.

Where did you get 4.34? His 40 was 4.47.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/cody-core?id=2555331
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 08:57 PM)McC Wrote: I understand that.  But everybody knew he was fast.  He was also productive and got into the end zone 17 times the past season in a big time conference.

Very true. I guess it's kind of a cherry on top deal for me.

A lot of people are kind of boosting him up right now, but is it me or does it kind of feel like there's no big time guy in this draft? Some people would say Myles Garrett, but even he isn't without his flaws. It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out before pick nine. 

I also kind of wish they would have to do drills in their full uniforms at the combine. A lot of these guys run faster here but don't do so on the field. I think Ross' speed translates, but some of these other guys don't. 
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 08:49 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: Just kind of leery of players who kind of have those "breakout" performances at the combine, I guess. 

I had to go back to some of his tape after seeing his 40 because I wondered if he was really getting constant separation with that speed.
What I found is that he was always beating coverage, often making good catches, and CONSTANTLY making defenders miss once he gets the ball in his hands.
One thing that I noticed was that he was often having to slow down and/or come back to the QB for underthrown balls. Had he been hit more in stride, he would have had better numbers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJWauEzbIJQ
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 07:17 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Im all for trading back and taking Barnett or Cunningham/Reddick maybe even Foster now. I know we have tons of picks already but there is no point reaching for someone who will most likely still be there while we get another 2nd round pick.

True, don't like reaching, plus if you trade down you increase your possibility of finding that star player with more early picks.

Trading down and getting anyone of the guys you mention here would make me giddy.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 09:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I had to go back to some of his tape after seeing his 40 because I wondered if he was really getting constant separation with that speed.
What I found is that he was always beating coverage, often making good catches, and CONSTANTLY making defenders miss once he gets the ball in his hands.
One thing that I noticed was that he was often having to slow down and/or come back to the QB for underthrown balls. Had he been hit more in stride, he would have had better numbers.

What I'm kind of scared of is if Dalton can hit those deep throws. Ugh. 

The more and more I think about it, the more I'd like a burner. I just don't know if we have the QB with the arm to use him.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 09:15 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: What I'm kind of scared of is if Dalton can hit those deep throws. Ugh. 

The more and more I think about it, the more I'd like a burner. I just don't know if we have the QB with the arm to use him.

I knew this would be brought up. Normally, I'd think the same. However, JR has world-class speed and should be able to adjust to throws and/or get open enough it may not matter.
Plus, defenses would have to sit back for JR or follow him, therefore opening up the shorter throws for other receivers.

The thing we've always been complaining about since Green came to the team was how stagnant the offense became when he was out due to injury. I believe if JR is here, their offensive can definitely become more explosive, even if Green is ever out.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 08:18 PM)Whatever Wrote: Core ran a 4.47 at the combine last year.

Ran a 4.34 on his pro day and according to one of the commentators during the combine, the time teams put up on their big board isn't the electronic combine time, but the time they hand time at pro days.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 06:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I do not want Ross in the first. Given he's the fastest dude ever at the combine, but he's slight and had needs a shoulder surgery.

Now some WRs that impressed me that can come later:

Zay Jones

Chris Godwin

Robert Davis

Julian Edelman Ryan Switzer
John Ross--5'11"   197

The most prolific receiver in the game--5'10"  186

As to the shoulder, he hurt in in September and played with it all year and is expected to be back by TC.

I just salivate at the thought of him across from AJ, forcing defenses to guard against the deep ball, keeping the S out of the box and opening up the middle of the field. 

And he's not just speed.  He can play.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 09:29 PM)McC Wrote: John Ross--5'11"   197

The most prolific receiver in the game--5'10"  186

As to the shoulder, he hurt in in September and played with it all year and is expected to be back by TC.

I just salivate at the thought of him across from AJ, forcing defenses to guard against the deep ball, keeping the S out of the box and opening up the middle of the field. 

And he's not just speed.  He can play.

JR is 188 lbs, not 197.
Still, he's right there with Brown and Cooks in terms of size. Unlike some of the other track speed guys, he can actually run routes. As you said, he can play.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 09:27 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Ran a 4.34 on his pro day and according to one of the commentators during the combine, the time teams put up on their big board isn't the electronic combine time, but the time they hand time at pro days.

I saw on some site somewhere that his lowest time was 4.34. 

Casserly's time on John Ross was 4.19.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 05:28 PM)McC Wrote: What OLineman would we take with the 9th pick in the draft?  And there might not be a DE left who wouldn't be a reach.  

Personally, I would take Robinson at #9. Going to be a 10 year starter at RT in this league. Completely destroyed the combine and started at LT for the best team in the country in the toughest conference in the country for 3 years. Let's not forget Whit was a second rounder and would easily be a top 5 pick if teams knew the career he had. Don't think the Bengals are done with Cedric and Fish yet, so they probably aren't looking OT.

There are 4 DE's worth a top 10 pick and one of them is bound to be there after the QB needy teams pull the trigger early.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 09:33 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Personally, I would take Robinson at #9. Going to be a 10 year starter at RT in this league. Completely destroyed the combine and started at LT for the best team in the country in the toughest conference in the country for 3 years. Let's not forget Whit was a second rounder and would easily be a top 5 pick if teams knew the career he had. Don't think the Bengals are done with Cedric and Fish yet, so they probably aren't looking OT.

There are 4 DE's worth a top 10 pick and one of them is bound to be there after the QB needy teams pull the trigger early.

Who are the 4?  Garrett, Allen, ?

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 09:32 PM)McC Wrote: I saw on some site somewhere that his lowest time was 4.34. 

Casserly's time on John Ross was 4.19.

My point isn't that Core is faster my point is we aren't lacking speed at WR, which would make taking a WR for speed a luxury pick and the O-line and defense front seven can't afford a luxury pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 09:35 PM)McC Wrote: Who are the 4?  Garrett, Allen, ?

Batman Chalupa and Thomas.
Reply/Quote
Obviously Ross did well with the 40 time. Wish he would have caught passes, but I honestly didn't expect him to.

Godwin had a VERY good combine. Think he created the most buzz. 19 bench presses and ran a 4.42. Looked great in drills. People are gonna go through his tape.

Cooper Kupp had a pretty quiet pro day oddly enough. Didn't do as well on the 40 time as some would expect and just didn't really stand out.

Juju also had a good combine. Think he's a solid 2nd round pick in all honesty.

Adam Shaheen was a little slower than I expected, but he showed a ton of athletic ability.

Honestly, there was a LOT to like about this class or WR and TE. This TE class is the deepest I've seen. Period. I can't remember a class this good.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 07:37 PM)Burma Wrote: Zay Jones looked very smooth. No problem with him being selected.

Chris Godwin could be a viable Marvin Jones substitute. 6'2, 4.44 speed and king of the jump balls. Something like 50/50 on throws where the QB just tossed it up for him to go get. Hands looked super soft in the gauntlet drill, ball was noticeably quieter when it hit his hands, just from the way he naturally grabbed it.

I like Jones & Godwin.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 09:45 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Batman Chalupa and Thomas.

[Image: 200_s.gif]
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 09:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I had to go back to some of his tape after seeing his 40 because I wondered if he was really getting constant separation with that speed.

It's also worth mentioning how effective Ross is as a KR. He scored a KR TD every single season in college, 4 total in 3 years. He averaged 24 yards per KR.
While I like Erickson as the returner, JR can still occasionally take reps at KR and back up that role if anything happened to Erickson. That way, Adam Jones wouldn't have to be in that role if he's still on the team come Week 1, or JR fills the backup KR void if Jones is cut.

Some are mentioning Dalton won't have time to throw for Ross to be effective, but Ross is not just a deep threat. He has elite quickness, agility, and separation to get open early, which should just further help the offense given we're expecting the same (or worse) OL performance in 2017.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 03:24 PM)McC Wrote: Is he a WR or RB?

Eff it, just find a way to get him the ball, and let the kid work
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote