Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Companies raising wages due to tax bill.
(01-30-2018, 07:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is the point.  These companies were experiencing record profits for a long time before there were any tax cuts.  It seems like they should have given out these raises before.

They are making a big deal about slicing off a very small portion of this big tax break to the "little people".  We should not have to give corporations hundreds of billions of dollars to get them to hand out a few million to employees.

That's their goal, isn't it?  If they can't make a good profit, why be in business?  You don't practice your profession for free, do you? (I know that you might do a few pro bono cases, but I mean in general)

(01-30-2018, 09:04 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It's smart PR, though. The masses will believe that these tax cuts made it possible (when they were always possible) and will vote for more deregulation and policies that put business before them because they think it will help them too. 

They're the same people who ignore the fact that the economy has been good for years under Obama. 

No matter how small the gesture may appear to some, it most definitely means something to the workers that are more than glad to accept that gift.  Face it, most people work for other people, they depend on their success in order to increase their success.  The more people that are working in better paying jobs, the better your chances of getting those school levies passed that will increase your wages.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(01-11-2018, 08:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This. 

Just imagine what would happen if the federal minimum wage was boosted significantly. 

People would have more money to spend at WalMart, which could in turn allow WalMart to raise salaries more and hire more employees?

Mellow

I'm really not in favor of a federal minimum wage, but something has got to give in regard to wage stagnation. Too many people are getting to the point where they simply can't afford to pay basic bills without government assistance.
(01-30-2018, 09:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: No matter how small the gesture may appear to some, it most definitely means something to the workers that are more than glad to accept that gift.  Face it, most people work for other people, they depend on their success in order to increase their success.  The more people that are working in better paying jobs, the better your chances of getting those school levies passed that will increase your wages.

Or instead of providing a tax break to the rich so they'll build a factory that employs 150 people, we could just build a new school that employs much more than that, directly benefits society, and provides a more equitable dispersement of "profits", because they would have built that factory anyways. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]