Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Confidence in Katie?
(01-23-2018, 10:05 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Mike Brown is a very rare breed.

I don't know too many other people who don't see that spending money will make you more money, even if you have to take a loss to start.

Troy is an educated man and will understand that the old man's way of being a tight ass isn't working.

Brad.  I think you're willfully ignoring the point here.  IT IS WORKING FOR TROY.  Troy fell assbackwards into his position by porking the old mans seed.  Thats all.  Dude wasn't interviewed on merit.  Dude stuck his micro weenie inside the right warm spot and now he's banking 750K+ with abysmal results and a nonexistent performance review.  You think Troy wants to make LESS money?  You think Katie is going to take the ball gag out long enough to let him sip from the water fountain?

Ain't gonna happen bud.  Show me where either of these two have worked their way up through success and performance in a professional sports setting.  If not, you're drinking from the wrong tap fella.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 10:36 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Unfortunately, this doesn't mean jack squat when it comes to the Bengals, but it does show that the apple/tree scenario isn't set in stone if you're dealing with someone who is familiar with trends and is able and willing to keep up with them.

Totally agree, when you're talking about a free market where adapting to industry trends is a necessity to success.  The league is a completely different animal.

Glad things are going well though.  Good to hear.
Reply/Quote
I have confidence that with a decent Oline we would have won a lot more games the last 2 years.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 10:45 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Brad.  I think you're willfully ignoring the point here.  IT IS WORKING FOR TROY.  Troy fell assbackwards into his position by porking the old mans seed.  Thats all.  Dude wasn't interviewed on merit.  Dude stuck his micro weenie inside the right warm spot and now he's banking 750K+ with abysmal results and a nonexistent performance review.  You think Troy wants to make LESS money?  You think Katie is going to take the ball gag out long enough to let him sip from the water fountain?

Ain't gonna happen bud.  Show me where either of these two have worked their way up through success and performance in a professional sports setting.  If not, you're drinking from the wrong tap fella.

I don't think you realize that winning games and changing the culture would make him a lot more than 750K because he's not so stubborn to think that he can do it all himself, like Mike Brown does, and he has come out and said that he wants to do things different, like hire a GM.

Any intelligent person would see this, which I think Troy is smart given that he has a law degree, and will take the steps to make more money.

You're willfully ignoring the fact that very few people on this planet are as hard-headed and old school as Mike Brown and would fail to see that changing things would make a lot more money in the long run.
Reply/Quote
Troy and Katie have zero credentials. They were handed jobs. Everything they know about football, they learned from Daddy. Daddy's way has made them filthy rich. They don't have to win titles to keep getting richer. Once a year or so, they'll claim to want to win a title.

And so what if Troy or Katie say they want to hire a GM? Hell, Mike says he wants to win a title.

To think they'll change much seems delusional. There is no end to this deja vu.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 12:58 AM)McC Wrote: Everything they know about football, they learned from Daddy.  

I'm certainly not trying to put a positive spin on things, but here's the problem i have with a statement like this--and it's been used time and time again by many.

Look at your typical Bengals fan that has watched this team and every other team in the NFL for, say, the last 20 years. Let's say they disagree with pretty much everything that MB has done over that time. This fan will more than likely give you a good, logical reason why what he's done is wrong and what a better way might be based on what they've witnessed. They would probably say "if i were GM/owner, here is what i would do" and what they say may have a lot of merit. At the very least, most would want to try something different simply because status quo hasn't gotten the team over the playoff hump. 

The same thing should apply to the Blackburns. Just because they're family and they've been in the FO all this time doesn't mean they agree with the path that has been taken. It wouldn't really take much different to be done in order for things to be done in a way to get over that hump. Focus on one or two key areas where a FA would help instantly. Upgrade the scouting while still giving coaches input on players they like. And most importantly, don't fall into the easy way out with familiarity if the coach isn't making progress. 

It more hope than anything right now but it's not guaranteed that just because they're family and they've been part of the organization all this time, that they will do things the same way. People naturally want to do things their way and blaze their own path. MB is a rare exception where being a champion is way down the list of his priorities. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 07:32 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: All the promises and other moves made up to this point have been from Mike, not from Troy (or Katie).

Troy is not blind or stupid and knows that Mike's way of running things hasn't worked.  

You think that he's as stubborn as Mike and too stupid to see that the best way to make money is to evolve with the league/world?

Why do you keep referring to what Troy will do , but Katie will be the one in charge?
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 02:37 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Why do you keep referring to what Troy will do , but Katie will be the one in charge?

Who will have the most influence on Katie?  Her husband, and he'll have a lot of say, especially in a business that is dominated by men (owners, head coaches, GMs, players, etc).
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 02:37 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Why do you keep referring to what Troy will do , but Katie will be the one in charge?

because its been proven katie will follow the same path.

someone put their denny colored glasses on and refuses to take them off.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 08:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Oh please. Does this go for the Rooney’s or any other family as well?

No problem with hiring family if they get results.

Steelers have a GM, scouts, and a record that is 100 times better than Bengals.

I wish we could swap families.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 01:28 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'm certainly not trying to put a positive spin on things, but here's the problem i have with a statement like this--and it's been used time and time again by many.

Look at your typical Bengals fan that has watched this team and every other team in the NFL for, say, the last 20 years. Let's say they disagree with pretty much everything that MB has done over that time. This fan will more than likely give you a good, logical reason why what he's done is wrong and what a better way might be based on what they've witnessed. They would probably say "if i were GM/owner, here is what i would do" and what they say may have a lot of merit. At the very least, most would want to try something different simply because status quo hasn't gotten the team over the playoff hump. 

The same thing should apply to the Blackburns. Just because they're family and they've been in the FO all this time doesn't mean they agree with the path that has been taken. It wouldn't really take much different to be done in order for things to be done in a way to get over that hump. Focus on one or two key areas where a FA would help instantly. Upgrade the scouting while still giving coaches input on players they like. And most importantly, don't fall into the easy way out with familiarity if the coach isn't making progress. 

It more hope than anything right now but it's not guaranteed that just because they're family and they've been part of the organization all this time, that they will do things the same way. People naturally want to do things their way and blaze their own path. MB is a rare exception where being a champion is way down the list of his priorities. 

Good point, I will concede this one.  This is about the only difference I could see in their management style, the ability to go with a different coach if results aren't produced.  I think they have a few decades before their senility hits a point where they are uncomfortable with new people coming into their office like the mouthbreathing old man.    Unfortunately replacing one hamstrung face in the headphones with another isn't going to produce better results on the field.  

In terms of FA, scouting departments or anything that would accrue additional cost; the impetus does not exist.  They win, they make money.  They lose, they make money.  They're merely optimizing the take home.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 12:58 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I don't think you realize that winning games and changing the culture would make him a lot more than 750K because he's not so stubborn to think that he can do it all himself, like Mike Brown does, and he has come out and said that he wants to do things different, like hire a GM.

Any intelligent person would see this, which I think Troy is smart given that he has a law degree, and will take the steps to make more money.

You're willfully ignoring the fact that very few people on this planet are as hard-headed and old school as Mike Brown and would fail to see that changing things would make a lot more money in the long run.
Since when did having a "Law" degree make a person smart?
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 12:31 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Good point, I will concede this one.  This is about the only difference I could see in their management style, the ability to go with a different coach if results aren't produced.  I think they have a few decades before their senility hits a point where they are uncomfortable with new people coming into their office like the mouthbreathing old man.    Unfortunately replacing one hamstrung face in the headphones with another isn't going to produce better results on the field.  

In terms of FA, scouting departments or anything that would accrue additional cost; the impetus does not exist.  They win, they make money.  They lose, they make money.  They're merely optimizing the take home.

True. With this organization, it's going to take a pretty big change in philosophy across the board. The biggest difference between Brown and other owners is, they have a desire to win a SB and they work towards that goal. It's why they're in the business. Brown doesn't. His want to win is greatly superseded by his want to be in the black and he stubbornly believes that he can win his way. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 12:45 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Since when did having a "Law" degree make a person smart?

Really?
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 02:49 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Really?

Really!
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 02:53 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Really!

The fact that it takes a smart person to even get into law school and it takes an even smarter person to get through law school and then takes an even smarter person to pass the bar exam.

Being a lawyer isn't a light deal.
Reply/Quote
Nepotism doesn't work.

I think it is safer to assume she will be worse than mike brown.

Confidence level - 0
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 02:58 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: The fact that it takes a smart person to even get into law school and it takes an even smarter person to get through law school and then takes an even smarter person to pass the bar exam.

Being a lawyer isn't a light deal.

Just messing with you Brad
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 05:39 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Just messing with you Brad

:andy:
Reply/Quote
I have no idea, but if they continue on Mike's path of thinking they don't need help from experienced football people, then it will likely be the same. If they hire a qualified GM, then things can get better. It's not for sure as many GMs have failed. So you have to get rid of one if he isn't getting the job done, but you can't be the Browns either. Then you have to get out of the way of football decisions, and stick to the money decisions. They will overlap some, but stay out as much as possible.

The one thing that scares me is that I know for a fact that she balked at putting AC in her house when she was building it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote