Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Confidence in Katie?
I'm not sure there's any way for it to get worse ?

Still I'm not convinced it will get better either ?

I'll say 5
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Everybody keeps forgetting that Troy Blackburn says that he'll hire a GM, and you have to also think that it means they'll do things like hire more scouts and build an indoor practice facility with more hired medical personnel, etc..

I doubt it will happen all at once, but you have to believe that she can't possibly be as blind as her old man in the ways to run a successful, modernized franchise.
Reply/Quote
We saw how Katie handled the Andre Smith negotiations during Hard Knocks. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 12:14 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: We saw how Katie handled the Andre Smith negotiations during Hard Knocks. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

What did that prove? She ended up getting the deal done.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 12:27 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What did that prove? She ended up getting the deal done.

And with a contract hold out after Smith had been slotted which lead to him missing training camp and three preseason games followed by a preseason injury resulting in him missing most of the season. And don't forget about the fat clause in his contract.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 08:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Oh please. Does this go for the Rooney’s or any other family as well?

Please elaborate. It also doesn't go for NASA. No comparison.

Why are you sold on her competence?
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 01:05 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Please elaborate. It also doesn't go for NASA. No comparison.

Why are you sold on her competence?

What is there to elaborate on? Other family owned NFL teams (Rooney’s, Davis’, Jones’, etc) all give their children high ranking positions as well. Why are you acting like it’s unique to Mike Brown?

I have no idea how Katie will be, but I’m not upset by her father giving her a job. Nepotism (and cronyism) is the way of the world.

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 11:52 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Everybody keeps forgetting that Troy Blackburn says that he'll hire a GM, and you have to also think that it means they'll do things like hire more scouts and build an indoor practice facility with more hired medical personnel, etc..

I doubt it will happen all at once, but you have to believe that she can't possibly be as blind as her old man in the ways to run a successful, modernized franchise.

What other promises of Troy have the people of Hamilton county forgotten? Do these swindlers all of a sudden have a new revenue stream we don't know about?

Come on Brad. Stop sucking up to these scumbags. They're the laughing stock of the NFL and it's trickled down to the product on the field.

If you had a child would you immediately give them the keys to the car, or would you teach them to drive first? Katie and your boy Troy took out a reverse mortgage on the team and our hopes for organizational success.

Deal with it.
Reply/Quote
You gotta think they're to football what Harbor Freight is to high quality tools. 
Yes I know..some of us actually buy crap from HF, but let's be honest about the actual quality of their tools..
I wouldn't be too shocked if the Bengals began recruiting Chinese players with Anglo Saxon names.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 01:11 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What is there to elaborate on? Other family owned NFL teams (Rooney’s, Davis’, Jones’, etc) all give their children high ranking positions as well. Why are you acting like it’s unique to Mike Brown?

I have no idea how Katie will be, but I’m not upset by her father giving her a job. Nepotism (and cronyism) is the way of the world.

Yeah. You think the Rooney's have a FO with the same % of people named in the will? Take a look and get back to me.

Nepotism should not be tolerated as an acceptable strategy in capitalist endeavors. Unless you merely want to maintain wealth and power with a lineage, sans long term success.

You've presented yourself as smarter than this nico. You have a damn good idea "how katie will be." Pure shit.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 01:19 AM)grampahol Wrote: You gotta think they're to football what Harbor Freight is to high quality tools. 
Yes I know..some of us actually buy crap from HF, but let's be honest about the actual quality of their tools..
I wouldn't be too shocked if the Bengals began recruiting Chinese players with Anglo Saxon names.. 

Buying lineman like cheap clamps. Quantity over quality, all the while wishing you spent the money on a few bessey's.

No bessey's here. Bunch of horse shit Pittsburgh spring clamps.
Reply/Quote
I guess I'd put it at a 6 right now, but my confidence declines every year. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 07:51 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: You're right in the sense that we haven't seen what she may or may not do with complete control - with Mike 100% out of the picture. However, I think it is fair look at what her role has been for at least the past few years, where she's been heavily involved in every aspect of day to day operations, as she talked about in this interview with Jenny Vrentas:

VRENTAS: Your dad has spoken about his role changing, telling a local TV station in 2014 that you and head coach Marvin Lewis run the team now. How has your role grown over the past several years?

BLACKBURN: There are two parts to it. One, things have grown in terms of what all we are doing. For example, marketing is much bigger; we didn’t even have a marketing department in 1990 or whatever it was. As the business has grown, I have become more involved and played a bigger role in some of those areas and overseeing them. And on the other side of it with my dad, he is involved in everything still, but he steps back and counts on us to really carry the ball on most things these days.

VRENTAS: There really weren’t examples of other daughters of owners taking on a role like you have, becoming involved in contract negotiations and the football operations side. How did you make that happen?

BLACKBURN: I love football and the NFL, and I think that football is a great business. I love the competitive side of it. I like the business side of it. And it just ties those together, as well as being involved in the community. To me, it was just such a unique business because it has those three aspects. And let’s face it: going to a football game is fun. Watching football is fun. Being involved in that has always seemed like a great opportunity. And then there is the family history part. I am honored to play a part and carry on the lineage. That means something to me. I am honored that I can do that.

VRENTAS: In 25 years working in the NFL, what’s the most important lesson you have learned?

BLACKBURN: The one thing that I probably feel has been ingrained in me, and I believe in, is looking out for the best long-term interests of the team. I want the Bengals to be a successful organization 50 years into the future, and so I firmly believe in stepping back and looking at the steps and decisions we are making to make sure we are not doing something that will just be beneficial this year, but work well for many years to come.

VRENTAS: Since you’ve taken the day-to-day reins, what are changes or the perspective you have brought to the table?

BLACKBURN: A lot of it comes down to communication and making sure there is the right communication between everyone who is involved. As the organization grows, you have to make some adjustments as you go along. I think we have tried to take a look at areas where, for whatever reason, there is room for improvement. You are always thinking, How can we do things better? We bring issues up for everyone to give input on and then hopefully make better judgments going forward as a result of making sure we are getting everyone’s thoughts.

VRENTAS: Speaking of issues to address, last season ended with another loss in the first round of the playoffs, and this one was an emotionally charged game against the rival Steelers in which some Bengals players lost their cool in the final minutes. How do you address that in the organization in order to move forward?

BLACKBURN: I do think you have to step back and look at the positives. We have a good team, a strong team, and it is always hard when the season ends, but the main thing is to go back and remind everybody of all the positives, and then you have to go forward and build on those.

VRENTAS: You have also been very patient with both Andy Dalton and Marvin Lewis. Why do you believe those two people can lead the Bengals over that hump and toward a championship?

BLACKBURN: Games are hard-fought. We have done so many good things. And we have such a good team, we have good leadership, and I am obviously hopeful that we can take those things and get that playoff win here. But yeah, it is hard work every year, and you can’t just assume it is going to happen again. You have to go back and do all the hard things you did last season, and even if you win you still have to go back and do it, too. That’s what the season is about.

Guess that says it all.  Mike Brown 2.0.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2018, 02:45 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: There has always been a good deal of talk among Bengals fans about our best hope being the the day that Mike steps aside and turns everything over to Katie. The idea being that Katie might be different or have a better approach than her dad. 

What is your actual confidence level that things might be different under a Katie regime? Do you think there's better chance that she'll blaze her own path and do things differently than Mike...or do you feel it's more likely that she'll just be a continuation of the same old, same old?

Of course, this is will be pure opinion because we haven't seen her in total control yet, but as far as a gut feeling on a scale of 1-10...10 being she does things vastly different and 1 being she does things exactly the same, where are you?

About a 7. She might actually hire a GM unlike her dad.

If we had a GM around here that new something about football things would be mucho better.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 01:12 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: What other promises of Troy have the people of Hamilton county forgotten?   Do these swindlers all of a sudden have a new revenue stream we don't know about?

Come on Brad.  Stop sucking up to these scumbags.  They're the laughing stock of the NFL and it's trickled down to the product on the field.  

If you had a child would you immediately give them the keys to the car, or would you teach them to drive first?   Katie and your boy Troy took out a reverse mortgage on the team and our hopes for organizational success.  

Deal with it.

All the promises and other moves made up to this point have been from Mike, not from Troy (or Katie).

Troy is not blind or stupid and knows that Mike's way of running things hasn't worked.  

You think that he's as stubborn as Mike and too stupid to see that the best way to make money is to evolve with the league/world?
Reply/Quote
NO clue. And i don't think in all honesty any of you have a clue either.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 01:45 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: i want to be a lawyer daddy.  nevermind.  i want to be a GM daddy.  and i want my husband to be in the Fo too daddy.  

Impossible not to hear that in this voice:

[Image: veruca-salt-bad-egg.jpg]

I want to be the GM now, Daddy!

Now, Katie, I'm not in the grave yet, you'll have to wait.  

Daddy!!!!
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 07:32 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: All the promises and other moves made up to this point have been from Mike, not from Troy (or Katie).

Troy is not blind or stupid and knows that Mike's way of running things hasn't worked.  

You think that he's as stubborn as Mike and too stupid to see that the best way to make money is to evolve with the league/world?

You think these two have wealth coming from other sources than the bengals organization?  The best way for them to continue making the money they have been making is to keep doing what mike has always done.  BE CHEAP AS HELL.

What do you think happens to the accumulated interest earned by 'holding over' the vast amounts of cap space they NEVER seem to spend?  You really think thats the best strategy for the team, or do you think thats the best strategy for THEM.

Can't believe you're going to bat for these POS
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 09:48 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: You think these two have wealth coming from other sources than the bengals organization?  The best way for them to continue making the money they have been making is to keep doing what mike has always done.  BE CHEAP AS HELL.

What do you think happens to the accumulated interest earned by 'holding over' the vast amounts of cap space they NEVER seem to spend?  You really think thats the best strategy for the team, or do you think thats the best strategy for THEM.

Can't believe you're going to bat for these POS

Mike Brown is a very rare breed.

I don't know too many other people who don't see that spending money will make you more money, even if you have to take a loss to start.

Troy is an educated man and will understand that the old man's way of being a tight ass isn't working.
Reply/Quote
Well...to give a very real world perspective on the whole apple/tree thing, the previous owner of the company i work for was, in a lot of ways, like MB. Was and is a super nice, caring guy (though a bit rough around the edges and hard for some to deal with), but his business practices where straight out of the '70s when it came to spending, marketing, etc etc. He just wouldn't pull the trigger on technology or the idea that hiring more people would result in more revenue, since we are in a service business.

He retired at the end of December '16. His nephew, who has worked for the company for over 30 years--directly under him and his guidance--bought the company and took over control Jan 1, 2017. A previous long-term employee who left to work for a competitor always said that the "new" boss would be exactly the same as the old boss because he had been employed and directed for so many years. 

Fast forward to today; the new boss is as different as the old boss as you could possibly imagine. Not only in philosophy but in practicality. From day one he dove right into the deep end when it comes to marketing and expansion. We had hired 1 new guy about 6 months before the previous owner retired (had to be talked into it by both of us). Since Jan 1 of '17 we have added 2 more service guys on the road and 1 more to the "front office". He has spent money like it needs to be spent to run a successful business without just throwing it out there and hoping something sticks. I created a spreadsheet of gross income for 2016 (both weekly and monthly for road and shop income) and compared it to 2017 as we went along the year. When you consider the experience lost (due to me becoming the service manager and working in-shop 100% of the time) vs total number of techs on the road, there wasn't a very big addition there that would skewer the numbers very much. By the end of the year we had an almost $100,000 increase from the previous year. Proving that simply adapting to the current trends was the more profitable way to go.

Unfortunately, this doesn't mean jack squat when it comes to the Bengals, but it does show that the apple/tree scenario isn't set in stone if you're dealing with someone who is familiar with trends and is able and willing to keep up with them.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote