Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Confidence in Katie?
I don't see how she could be any worse than her dad.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2018, 11:53 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: I don't see how she could be any worse than her dad.

She could move the team...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
NFL's first female general manager.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I'm willing to go a 7, I say this because football is a business, she understands that and that's the bottom line. As a female owner I truly believe that she wants to make her mark in a field dominated by males. I also think that she will have no problem terminating contracts of players who do not hold themselves to higher standards as human beings, and put forth a negative light on the team(Pacman) I don't think she will go out and sign big time FA's, but I also think we will do a better job of retaining our own, and allow more input from our coaches,
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 04:46 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: She could move the team...

Dagnabbit, you got me on that one and you even used correct amount of dots in your ellipsis.  You are right, that would be worse.  The London Bengals would be of no interest to me.
Reply/Quote
I can see her going either way so I would have to say 5. As pointed out earlier, there is the woman factor and as most of us know, women just do things differently and think differently. One positive of her being a woman is I think she will take the criticism of fans more personally and make changes. Women can’t stand negative perceptions of their character or reputation. At least that’s what I’m banking on.

My wife thinks I stereotype too much. Maybe she’s right? Lol...

Reply/Quote
Let's be real, this team needs new ownership- which will likely never happen.

We have to pray she's going to blaze her own trail instead of being the apple that fell to close to the tree.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 10:02 AM)OBX Bengal Wrote: Dagnabbit, you got me on that one and you even used correct amount of dots in your ellipsis.  You are right, that would be worse.  The London Bengals would be of no interest to me.

There's something to be said for using the right amount of dots .. I'm a habitual dotter. I use too many of them......... dot...dot...dot....
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
No confidence in anyone in Brown family.

This same story happened with the Bears when Halas died. He had his family inherit/run things and they were a disaster for years.

Things did not change until they hired a true professional with real NFL experience. That led to the Super Bowl Team coached by Ditka.

Bengals will never be a top flight franchise until they hire someone like a modern Gil Brandt and give that person control.
Reply/Quote
I think a lot of fans have hope in Katie simply because she'd be someone different. She could end up being the exact same as her father, but no one knows for sure.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I have full confidence that she'll continue the long tradition of squeezing every available penny out of the Cincinnati area to enrich the family fortune. From shirt sleeves to shirt sleeves in three generations..
In case you've never heard of the old proverb it goes, The Father buys, the Son builds, the grandchild sells, and his Son Begs. There are several variations on this theme from nearly every nation and culture..Nice article that explains how it works. https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2017/09/08/how-prevent-proverb-shirtsleeves-shirtsleeves-3-generations/639116001/

It kind of makes you wonder if it'll happen with this clan..

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
i want to be a lawyer daddy. nevermind. i want to be a GM daddy. and i want my husband to be in the Fo too daddy.

yeah... lots of confidence that someone who relied solely on nepotism to gain her position will be the best possible person for the job.

maybe she'll finally sell the damn team so it can be relocated and run like a proper organization.
Reply/Quote
Somehow I kind of doubt Paul Brown's great grandchildren will be begging on the streets of Cincinnati, but you never know about these things..

Can't ya just hear one saying,"Can you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"

Reply/Quote
I think she'll pull a Mark Davis and hire a GM as soon as her ol' man croaks. I'd wager she's smart enough to realize the money you pay a GM is worth being able to remove yourself from being the sole reason the team stinks and/or public enemy #1.
Reply/Quote
I don't think we know nearly enough about Katie to make a decision about her ability or worth to head up this franchise. The few interviews I remember she gave (which weren't more than a few), I don't recall her giving ANY indication about the type of owner and/or GM she would be.

Bottom line, none of us know. None of us have the information to even hazard an uninformed guess.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 06:40 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: I don't think we know nearly enough about Katie to make a decision about her ability or worth to head up this franchise.  The few interviews I remember she gave (which weren't more than a few), I don't recall her giving ANY indication about the type of owner and/or GM she would be.

Bottom line, none of us know.  None of us have the information to even hazard an uninformed guess.

We know plenty.  She was handed the position rather than excelling to acquire it.  She's been trained in the business by one of the worst that has ever lived.  Thats 2 strikes.  Don't even need a third imo.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 04:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think she'll pull a Mark Davis and hire a GM as soon as her ol' man croaks.  I'd wager she's smart enough to realize the money you pay a GM is worth being able to remove yourself from being the sole reason the team stinks and/or public enemy #1.

She already has the haircut, so that's a plus.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 06:40 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: I don't think we know nearly enough about Katie to make a decision about her ability or worth to head up this franchise.  The few interviews I remember she gave (which weren't more than a few), I don't recall her giving ANY indication about the type of owner and/or GM she would be.

Bottom line, none of us know.  None of us have the information to even hazard an uninformed guess

You're right in the sense that we haven't seen what she may or may not do with complete control - with Mike 100% out of the picture. However, I think it is fair look at what her role has been for at least the past few years, where she's been heavily involved in every aspect of day to day operations, as she talked about in this interview with Jenny Vrentas:

VRENTAS: Your dad has spoken about his role changing, telling a local TV station in 2014 that you and head coach Marvin Lewis run the team now. How has your role grown over the past several years?

BLACKBURN: There are two parts to it. One, things have grown in terms of what all we are doing. For example, marketing is much bigger; we didn’t even have a marketing department in 1990 or whatever it was. As the business has grown, I have become more involved and played a bigger role in some of those areas and overseeing them. And on the other side of it with my dad, he is involved in everything still, but he steps back and counts on us to really carry the ball on most things these days.

VRENTAS: There really weren’t examples of other daughters of owners taking on a role like you have, becoming involved in contract negotiations and the football operations side. How did you make that happen?

BLACKBURN: I love football and the NFL, and I think that football is a great business. I love the competitive side of it. I like the business side of it. And it just ties those together, as well as being involved in the community. To me, it was just such a unique business because it has those three aspects. And let’s face it: going to a football game is fun. Watching football is fun. Being involved in that has always seemed like a great opportunity. And then there is the family history part. I am honored to play a part and carry on the lineage. That means something to me. I am honored that I can do that.

VRENTAS: In 25 years working in the NFL, what’s the most important lesson you have learned?

BLACKBURN: The one thing that I probably feel has been ingrained in me, and I believe in, is looking out for the best long-term interests of the team. I want the Bengals to be a successful organization 50 years into the future, and so I firmly believe in stepping back and looking at the steps and decisions we are making to make sure we are not doing something that will just be beneficial this year, but work well for many years to come.

VRENTAS: Since you’ve taken the day-to-day reins, what are changes or the perspective you have brought to the table?

BLACKBURN: A lot of it comes down to communication and making sure there is the right communication between everyone who is involved. As the organization grows, you have to make some adjustments as you go along. I think we have tried to take a look at areas where, for whatever reason, there is room for improvement. You are always thinking, How can we do things better? We bring issues up for everyone to give input on and then hopefully make better judgments going forward as a result of making sure we are getting everyone’s thoughts.

VRENTAS: Speaking of issues to address, last season ended with another loss in the first round of the playoffs, and this one was an emotionally charged game against the rival Steelers in which some Bengals players lost their cool in the final minutes. How do you address that in the organization in order to move forward?

BLACKBURN: I do think you have to step back and look at the positives. We have a good team, a strong team, and it is always hard when the season ends, but the main thing is to go back and remind everybody of all the positives, and then you have to go forward and build on those.

VRENTAS: You have also been very patient with both Andy Dalton and Marvin Lewis. Why do you believe those two people can lead the Bengals over that hump and toward a championship?

BLACKBURN: Games are hard-fought. We have done so many good things. And we have such a good team, we have good leadership, and I am obviously hopeful that we can take those things and get that playoff win here. But yeah, it is hard work every year, and you can’t just assume it is going to happen again. You have to go back and do all the hard things you did last season, and even if you win you still have to go back and do it, too. That’s what the season is about.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 01:45 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: i want to be a lawyer daddy. nevermind. i want to be a GM daddy. and i want my husband to be in the Fo too daddy.

yeah... lots of confidence that someone who relied solely on nepotism to gain her position will be the best possible person for the job.

maybe she'll finally sell the damn team so it can be relocated and run like a proper organization.

Oh please. Does this go for the Rooney’s or any other family as well?

Reply/Quote
Quote:BLACKBURN: The one thing that I probably feel has been ingrained in me, and I believe in, is looking out for the best long-term interests of the team. I want the Bengals to be a successful organization 50 years into the future, and so I firmly believe in stepping back and looking at the steps and decisions we are making to make sure we are not doing something that will just be beneficial this year, but work well for many years to come.

Yeah, like teams that roll the dice to win now and bother to win a Super Bowl?

Ingrained, she says. Yeah, and who ingrained it?

[Image: 635509109712747304-bengals-6-2013.08.06.jpg]

We're ******.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote