Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Cooley believes Marvin will retire at the end of the season
Former Washington Redskins tight end and current radio host in D.C. Chris Cooley made an interesting statement on his ESPN 980 show this morning.

He believes Marvin Lewis will retired at the end of the season. Cooley also said he believes if the Washington defensive coordinator position opens at the end of the year, that Paul Guenther would be a likely candidate to join the Redskins.

Guenther would join former Bengals offensive coordinator and current Redskins coach Jay Gruden. Current Washington defensive coordinator, Joe Barry, is in his second season with the Redskins.

Guenther is in his his 12th year with the Bengals and third year as Bengals defensive coordinator.

http://700wlw.iheart.com/onair/lance-mcalister-7818/report-marvin-retiring-guenther-to-dc-15418206/#ixzz4TxfTFuVd
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
Marvin walks away from a $5 million dollar contract? That would be shocking, but I don't want Guenther to be the HC. The Bengals need an offensive mind to go with a defense that is only missing a couple pieces.

I know I might be the minority on that last statement, but I think a pass-rushing RDE, the addition of Billings, Hardison, and WJIII would put this defense RIGHT back in the thick of things. The offense needs an OC that understands the multiple TE formations in the red zone, the flexibility it provides the running game, and the need for a vertical threat...which might be Core.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 01:24 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Marvin walks away from a $5 million dollar contract?  That would be shocking, but I don't want Guenther to be the HC.  The Bengals need an offensive mind to go with a defense that is only missing a couple pieces.

I know I might be the minority on that last statement, but I think a pass-rushing RDE, the addition of Billings, Hardison, and WJIII would put this defense RIGHT back in the thick of things.  The offense needs an OC that understands the multiple TE formations in the red zone, the flexibility it provides the running game, and the need for a vertical threat...which might be Core.

I'm with you on the Offensive minded HC.

To the op I don't think Marvin will retire. I believe him when he says he wants to stick around to ensure his son the opportunities to move up the coaching ranks.

I hope Guenther stays, just not as HC.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
So this is the 2nd report, I hope it's true. Probably not but I'm hoping
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 01:31 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: So this is the 2nd report, I hope it's true. Probably not but I'm hoping

Like the old saying goes, where there's smoke there's fire
Reply/Quote
I will say the look on Marvin's face during the last loss did not look good. I definitely think this year has worn on him a lot.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 01:37 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I will say the look on Marvin's face during the last loss did not look good. I definitely think this year has worn on him a lot.

Yes I agree he looks like he's fed up like he realizes he's done all he can, I will forever be grateful for all that he has done for us though regardless
Reply/Quote
Chance of this happening are very remote. That's a lot of money and pride left on the table. Why leave when you have one of the worst seasons and have millions left on contract? Just doesn't make sense. This just seems like click bait
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 02:08 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Chance of this happening are very remote. That's a lot of money and pride left on the table. Why leave when you have one of the worst seasons and have millions left on contract? Just doesn't make sense. This just seems like click bait

Other rumors have been reported that he will be fired at the end of the year.  Why not retire and save face if you're gone, anyways?
Reply/Quote
Let me guess. Cooley has absolutely no source for this and is just making a random guess.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 02:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Let me guess.  Cooley has absolutely no source for this and is just making a random guess.

Of course!  When he says it, and Brown honors it, then I'll believe it.
Reply/Quote
Why would Guenther make a lateral move?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis retired years ago, he just never informed the team.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 01:29 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'm with you on the Offensive minded HC.

To the op I don't think Marvin will retire. I believe him when he says he wants to stick around to ensure his son the opportunities to move up the coaching ranks.

I hope Guenther stays, just not as HC.

Agreed on Guenther.  I like him, but can't help but wonder where this attacking defense was early in the season against pitt, Denver, etc.  Pisses me off how conservative they played until eliminated, but they started being more aggressive after the bye.  
Reply/Quote
I think Marvin will retire in a few years, but not this year. And I'll explain why after the break.

Welcome back!

So, expect more Marvin in 2017 for three reasons.

1 — Money. As has already been said, there's money left on the table. As long as someone is going to hand you several million bucks to do nothing different than what you did last year, you're going to take it.

2 — It'll get better. It will. Every team has an off year, and this was the Bengals'. From suspensions to injuries, things fell all sorts of wrong. The chances of that happening next year aren't high. If you can go out whenever you want, you want to go out on a high note, not some disgraced, inept moron whose only accomplishment is being the losingest NFL head coach in playoff history. Sure, being 1-7 isn't great, but it gets him off the short list of him and Jim Mora in the category of "who wasted the most talented teams."

With odds in his favor, a high draft pick AND a softer schedule down the road, Marvin knows 2017 will (most likely) be a bounce back year. All he's got to do is show up.

3— He's conceded. Most people realize when you do the same thing over and over only to fail again and again... you need to do something different. Marvin keeps plugging along with the mindset that if at first you don't succeed, try and try and try and try and try and try and try and try again. Because the only way you can prove everyone else is wrong is to keep making the same mistake until it works. And he's smug enough to think it will.

Bonus reason:
4— Mike Brown asks him. A boss that can hand the keys to the employee is a happy boss. Mike Brown did that a few years ago and, by all indication, is satisfied with the results. As long as he (and by he, all the management) is ok with holding records for a lack of postseason and primetime wins, they're going to ask him to come back.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 01:31 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: So this is the 2nd report, I hope it's true. Probably not but I'm hoping

(12-26-2016, 01:35 PM)Trademark Wrote: Like the old saying goes, where there's smoke there's fire

These haven't been "reports".  They've been speculation.  National media has been having marvin leaving for the last 8 years.  They don't know squat, and are just looking for internet hits.
Reply/Quote
I heard it on channel 19 news this morning that reports of Marvin Lewis being let go after the end of this season.  Let's  hope so.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 02:36 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Why would Guenther make a lateral move?

and to a less talented defense....
Reply/Quote
Don't get our hopes up
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 04:39 PM)Always a Bengal Wrote: I heard it on channel 19 news this morning that reports of Marvin Lewis being let go after the end of this season.  Let's  hope so.

Did they have a source?

And he isn't being fired.  Don't believe it at all.  Why?  Because if he's fired, Mike Brown owes him the value of the rest of his contract.  And Mike Brown isn't going to pay Marvin 5 million to leave.  That's absurd.  Which tells me what i need to know....channel 19 has no source, and was just speculating based on the 10 others who have started rumors and have no source.

Reports based upon other unsubstantiated rumors.  That's solid news coverage there.
Reply/Quote