Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cop kills man after he informs officer that he is legally carrying a concealed weapon
(07-08-2016, 11:39 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Are you that guy who tells the same joke over and over and over again?

I'm the guy who calls out stupid comments and then the commenter decides he gets tired of being called out and "won't respond" but instead complains to everyone else. Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-08-2016, 11:57 AM)GMDino Wrote: Yep.

I wonder if any of the people shot were just having a bad day?  Being human?

Most times that doesn't get you killed either.

I'm endlessly amused by your ability to pretend to acknowledge a point and then not acknowledge it at all.
(07-08-2016, 12:28 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm endlessly amused by your ability to pretend to acknowledge a point and then not acknowledge it at all.

Let me clarify:

I said yesterday that maybe, sometimes, an officer can take a deep breath and let a less than perfectly compliant person go without making a bigger issue out of it.

You are correct that a bad day can be much worse when you have the ability to kill someone on the job.

I'm adding that the person getting killed might have been having a bad day too.

Clearer?
(07-08-2016, 12:35 PM)GMDino Wrote: Let me clarify:

I said yesterday that maybe, sometimes, an officer can take a deep breath and let a less than perfectly compliant person go without making a bigger issue out of it.

You are correct that a bad day can be much worse when you have the ability to kill someone on the job.

I'm adding that the person getting killed might have been having a bad day too.

Clearer?

It was clear from the beginning, it was also irrelevant.  The other person having a bad day doesn't have a job that may legally involve the use of lethal force.  My acknowledging that all human beings have bad days and make mistakes was covered in the post you originally quoted.  Hence your point is unnecessary and superfluous.
(07-08-2016, 12:38 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It was clear from the beginning, it was also irrelevant.  The other person having a bad day doesn't have a job that may legally involve the use of lethal force.  My acknowledging that all human beings have bad days and make mistakes was covered in the post you originally quoted.  Hence your point is unnecessary and superfluous.

I'll just chalk up your response to you having a bad day.
(07-08-2016, 12:53 PM)GMDino Wrote: I'll just chalk up your response to you having a bad day.

I'll continue to be amused.   Smirk
(07-08-2016, 12:54 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'll continue to be amused.   Smirk

I hope it makes your day better.

Mellow
(07-08-2016, 12:55 PM)GMDino Wrote: I hope it makes your day better.

Mellow

I hope your wit improves, maybe read some Oscar Wilde?
(07-08-2016, 11:07 AM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: Even using your invalidated stats, that's  60 people too many. 

Don't see the reason for posting amount of arrest. 99% of cops are good people and voluntarily put their lives on the line. So most arrest shouldn't end in death. 

Invalidated stats?  By whom?  I'm referencing the WaPo article, which found the vast majority of reported killed had weapons, were resisting arrest, or mentally unstable/high on drugs.  

When you have 10M arrests, and some 100 or so unarmed blacks killed, 60% at the hands of white cops, is evidence of racism rather than mistakes....well, let's just say the numbers don't support a statistically significant conclusion there.  That's the reason for showing the number of arrests, that 99.99% or arrests end without killing the subject....which is better than 5-sigma (or really damn good).
--------------------------------------------------------

(07-08-2016, 01:02 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Invalidated stats?  By whom?  I'm referencing the WaPo article, which found the vast majority of reported killed had weapons, were resisting arrest, or mentally unstable/high on drugs.  
You are way off in left field here. It's Invalid because it has zero to do with the topic. Police have a dangerous job to do and there are times when lethal force is justified and people are killed because of (had weapons, were resisting arrest, or mentally unstable/high on drugs)

Its the unjustified ones that have people enraged.

(07-08-2016, 01:02 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: When you have 10M arrests, and some 100 or so unarmed blacks killed, 60% at the hands of white cops, is evidence of racism rather than mistakes....well, let's just say the numbers don't support a statistically significant conclusion there.  That's the reason for showing the number of arrests, that 99.99% or arrests end without killing the subject....which is better than 5-sigma (or really damn good).

Again like I said earlier that is waaaaay too many. Part of the problem is the thought process of some who believe or don't care and try to justify it. Again like I said earlier 99% of LEO's are great or there would be more deaths.
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
(07-08-2016, 01:52 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: Again like I said earlier that is waaaaay too many. Part of the problem is the thought process of some who believe or don't care and try to justify it. Again like I said earlier 99% of LEO's are great or there would be more deaths.

Who's trying to justify it or doesn't care?

0 shootings of unarmed people is noble, but bat-shit unrealistic.  And questionable doesn't mean it's a bad shoot.  I just look at 100 or 200 wrongful deaths out of 10M arrests and, knowing cops are human, how much lower that number can get practically speaking. "Hands up don't shoot" is great advice, and maybe we should stop advocating it as a form of protest and urge people to do it, you know, in actual practice.

Expecting perfection from cops is neither realistic nor the best approach.  But the narrative isn't really even about mistakes or procedure, but racism.  And I think that's deplorable, unfortunate and ineffective.

(07-08-2016, 02:07 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Who's trying to justify it or doesn't care?

0 shootings of unarmed people is noble, but bat-shit unrealistic.  And questionable doesn't mean it's a bad shoot.  I just look at 100 or 200 wrongful deaths out of 10M arrests and, knowing cops are human, how much lower that number can get practically speaking.  "Hands up don't shoot" is great advice, and maybe we should stop advocating it as a form of protest and urge people to do it, you know, in actual practice.

Expecting perfection from cops is neither realistic nor the best approach.  But the narrative isn't really even about mistakes or procedure, but racism.  And I think that's deplorable, unfortunate and ineffective.

As opposed to:

(07-08-2016, 01:20 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Fix the justice system and then tell people to cooperate fully and unconditionally with the police and let the system work.  Stop fueling the meme that race is factor in every questionable shooting - even if true, it's wholly unproductive and entirely divisive.
(07-08-2016, 02:07 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Who's trying to justify it or doesn't care?

0 shootings of unarmed people is noble, but bat-shit unrealistic.  And questionable doesn't mean it's a bad shoot.  I just look at 100 or 200 wrongful deaths out of 10M arrests and, knowing cops are human, how much lower that number can get practically speaking.  "Hands up don't shoot" is great advice, and maybe we should stop advocating it as a form of protest and urge people to do it, you know, in actual practice.

The narrative of denial is part of the problem. Holding your breath and stomping your feet doesn't change the facts. There are more black Americans killed by cops.
Your false equivalence is just bad math with ideology thrown in.

AGAIN....third time....99% of LEO's are great and should be commended for their dangerous job. But the small few that aren't should still be held accountable regardless.
(07-08-2016, 04:29 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: The narrative of denial is part of the problem. Holding your breath and stomping your feet doesn't change the facts. There are more black Americans killed by cops.

AGAIN....third time....99% of LEO's are great and should be commended for their dangerous job. But the small few that aren't should still be held accountable regardless.

99.9% I'd say.  As to being held accountable, there's a problem with the current mindset.  The instant response is, "Why when an LEO shoots someone is there a long investigation but when a normal civilian shoots someone there's a rush to charge them?"  The answer is simple to anyone paying attention, part of the job for an LEO is the ability to, legally, use deadly force.  Thus, if deadly force is used it must first be proven that there was no reason for using it within the scope of the job.  For anyone else this condition does not exist at all.  Why this is a difficult concept for people to grasp leaves my mind in a bottle. 
(07-08-2016, 04:29 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: The narrative of denial is part of the problem. Holding your breath and stomping your feet doesn't change the facts. There are more black Americans killed by cops.

What proof do you have of that?  I posted 2-3 examples citing stats on the available data that contradict that claim.  Every stat I've seen says Black are @3.5X more likely to be killed by cops....And if you accept that stat (I don't know how you can, after all the data is incomplete so it must be a false assumption DERP...), then you must also accept that more whites are killed by cops because there are 6X as many.

So is YOUR math bad, or are you just in complete denial of the facts because it conflicts with your world view? There's only one narrative of denial here, and it's not me. Stomping my feet? LOL - you're practically plugging your ears and saying "nah nah nah facts facts facts....I reject your reality and substitute my own"

(07-09-2016, 12:07 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: What proof do you have of that?  I posted 2-3 examples citing stats on the available data that contradict that claim.  Every stat I've seen says Black are @3.5X more likely to be killed by cops....And if you accept that stat (I don't know how you can, after all the data is incomplete so it must be a false assumption DERP...), then you must also accept that more whites are killed by cops because there are 6X as many.

So is YOUR math bad, or are you just in complete denial of the facts because it conflicts with your world view?

I would love to know the stats on what race is responsible for the death of cops. Kinda the reverse stat. When looking at the number of people killed by cops according to race i think looking at the number of cops killed by people according to race has a place in that conversation. Especially when you break it down into percentages of population.
(07-08-2016, 11:19 AM)bfine32 Wrote: There is no doubt that people of color are shot by police at a higher rate that white folk. Should we factor in the rate of violent crimes comited by race when we address this?

Obviously, yes. Unfortunately, some people don't think so. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(07-09-2016, 12:13 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I would love to know the stats on what race is responsible for the death of cops. Kinda the reverse stat. When looking at the number of people killed by cops according to race i think looking at the number of cops killed by people according to race has a place in that conversation. Especially when you break it down into percentages of population.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2015/01/09/are-black-or-white-offenders-more-likely-to-kill-police/

There were 511 officers killed in felonious incidents and 540 offenders from 2004 to 2013, according to FBI reports. Among the total offenders, 52 percent were white, and 43 percent were black.

So you we could make a similarly misleading, but factually "true", claim that cops are 4-5X more likely to be shot by a minority, if we base it on population % rather than arrests or demographics.

(07-09-2016, 12:07 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I posted 2-3 examples citing stats on the available data that contradict that 

As you can see I posted 2-3 examples as well. Remember LEAs are not obligated to report. And there is NO data base that tracks it. And when and if they do. They do not track by race. 

(07-09-2016, 12:07 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote:  Every stat I've seen says Black are @3.5X more likely to be killed by cops....And if you accept that stat then you must also accept that more whites are killed by cops because there are 6X as many.

they are more likely and are killed at a higher rate. 
Uh DERP......yeah 6X more whites and by populace 2.34 whites are killed where as 7.13 blacks killed. 
Lol....did you know more white people have sickle cell trait. (You know because there are more white people)even though it's a disease that affect more blacks lol. 

(07-09-2016, 12:07 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: So is YOUR math bad, or are you just in complete denial of the facts because it conflicts with your world view? 

Not my world view it's my reality. As I've lived it, seen it, experienced it. 
I got pulled over in November. The reason was BS (they said my license plate bracket/frame was illegal, which according to Texas and Arkansas law(I looked it up), it was legal). They were profiling my truck (Texas truck in Arkansas, guess they were looking for drug runners). Before the cop got to my window I had my ID and insurance in my hand and waiting for him. Hell I had it in my hand before he got out of his car. I didn't need to ask why he pulled me over. He pulled me over(strangely there were 3 cops that pulled me over)! He had a reason. He was going to want to see my ID and Insurance, regardless of his reason. Pull the ID and insurance out. Have it ready. Respect the law and the officers who risk their lives just to do their jobs.

All in all it was a strange experience.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]