Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cordell Volson-Can be one of the best
(06-11-2023, 06:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm a big fan of The Mike M..The other one can be a tool. 

WTH would anyone want to boost their "count"; are there prizes awarded, of which, I am unaware? 

you are about the only person i know that has to comment in every thread.

(06-12-2023, 12:30 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Uh oh. Should i be scared?

No he wasn't. There were 7 rookie guards that took at least 50% of max snaps and Volson was #4. Right smack in the middle. Average. 

I agree, at this point, with him starting the season. If he doesn't improve by the time Collins is fully healthy, they should consider using someone else at LG. Or deal with his sub-par play and look for a replacement next FA or draft. There's absolutely nothing about his game that indicates he will be a "good" starting NFL guard, up to this point. 

"A 4th-round pick out of North Dakota State," Nathan Cooper wrote. "Volson started every game and played every snap at guard for the Bengals this season. His 26 Total Points were 3rd among rookie guards. He finished with a 2.6% blown block rate, but only a 1.2% blown block rate on run plays, which tied him for 9th-best among guards with at least 500 snaps played."

9th out of ALL Guards doesn't scream below avg to me. Sure there's area's he needs to improve on, but he's shown that he can improve, the only G that really played better was Zion Johnson (who was drafted in the 1st round). Who are the other 2 you say finished above him?

(06-12-2023, 01:46 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Who gives a ****? Just because someone is "fine" with someone, doesn't mean he's going to be any good. Why can't you understand that? You hang on every word coaches and players say and trust it as gospel. Words don't mean shit.

Everyone (from Duke down to the fans) seems to be "fine" with Volson being the starter this year, except for you I guess. If management wasn't "fine" with it then they would have done something about it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 09:27 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: you are about the only person i know that has to comment in every thread.

"A 4th-round pick out of North Dakota State," Nathan Cooper wrote. "Volson started every game and played every snap at guard for the Bengals this season. His 26 Total Points were 3rd among rookie guards. He finished with a 2.6% blown block rate, but only a 1.2% blown block rate on run plays, which tied him for 9th-best among guards with at least 500 snaps played."

9th out of ALL Guards doesn't scream below avg to me. Sure there's area's he needs to improve on, but he's shown that he can improve, the only G that really played better was Zion Johnson (who was drafted in the 1st round). Who are the other 2 you say finished above him?

Everyone (from Duke down to the fans) seems to be "fine" with Volson being the starter this year, except for you I guess. If management wasn't "fine" with it then they would have done something about it.

Who the hell is Nathan Cooper and what, if anything, has he ever done of note?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2023, 08:42 AM)Sled21 Wrote: This is a bunch of bull as well. Collins was playing injured. Cappa was playing next to an injured Collins, and then when Collins was out I don't even remember right now who was RT, Adeniji? And you're going to ding the coaches because guys were hurt? Karras is the only one that dropping might be worrisome, but the eye test tells me Ted played just fine. 

The reason Karras dropped 10 points in his grade is easily explainable.  He graded out at 72 in New England because Belichick moved him to LG where he played much better than he did center.  The Bengals coaching staff in all their wisdom thought it was a good idea to move him back to center where he doesnt play as well.  The Bengals should have had Karras at LG last year and went after someone else to play center.  That would have been a better O-line than flipping Karras back to center and drafting Volson.
Reply/Quote
Here's the bottom line for me. I'm sick and tired of watching other teams win championships. I'm sick and tired of the Bengals getting there and falling juuuuuuust short. I've had to watch that shit 3 times. Any one of those damn 3 times they could have at least gotten lucky once, but no. Gotta watch division foes like Pitt and Balt win multiple rings. Gotta watch other teams get elite QBs and win rings. Gotta watch other teams get old QBs that used to play for bad teams and win rings. Gotta watch cities with the worst human garbage as fans win rings. Gotta watch one ***** guy win 7 rings. I'm ***** tired of it. 

But what i'm most tired of is the bullshit hype that i have to look at and hear every single year. I'm tired of talk. Talk doesn't win shit. Playing better and smarter than the other guy wins. I've heard so much talk and hype and hope over the last 44 years and it's lead to zero rings. So, stop talking and start winning the last game of the year. I'm not asking for a damn dynasty or even more than one...but can't they win at least one ***** super bowl in my lifetime?

Then i'll be happy. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 01:46 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Who gives a ****? Just because someone is "fine" with someone, doesn't mean he's going to be any good. Why can't you understand that? You hang on every word coaches and players say and trust it as gospel. Words don't mean shit.

Well I trust Zac’s word.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 11:02 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The reason Karras dropped 10 points in his grade is easily explainable.  He graded out at 72 in New England because Belichick moved him to LG where he played much better than he did center.  The Bengals coaching staff in all their wisdom thought it was a good idea to move him back to center where he doesnt play as well.  The Bengals should have had Karras at LG last year and went after someone else to play center.  That would have been a better O-line than flipping Karras back to center and drafting Volson.

Remember Karras was Plan B at Center. Plan A was Ryan Jensen, but Brady "unretired" a couple of days before Free Agency and motivated Jensen to stay.

If Brady didn't comeback we could have had an interior of Cappa, Jensen, Karras. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Just imagine if Volson went to oklahoma...

there'd be 10 pages for this thread

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 12:16 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Just imagine if Volson went to oklahoma...

there'd be 10 pages for this thread

That was funny
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
People who are skeptical of a year 2 jump for Volson are more far-fetched than the people expecting a year 2 jump. Going from NDSU and blocking insurance salesman straight to the NFL and blocking Heywards, Simmons and Chris Jones is an insane jump and honestly it was pretty absurd of our coaches to even ask a rookie from D2 to do that. He held up fine he had some bumps but by week 10 or so he was a solid player. I fully expect him to come in and be solid as a rock with a year under his belt. To assume he wont make a jump, even a small one, is crazy.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 02:50 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So by using your comparison you are in the camp rookies peak in year one????? Can you give us a Whittworth LT comparison year 1 as the bengals LT and then one a couple of years later?

Boling would be a better comparison
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 07:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Name a player the other players and coaches don't praise..

There's lots of them on the roster you rarely ever hear mentioned. The coaches and teammates aren't going to slam them, they just don't talk about them much. Is anyone saying Jaylen Davis (a solid backup) is going to be a 10-year starter at CB, because that's what Brown Jr said about Volson?
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 11:02 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The reason Karras dropped 10 points in his grade is easily explainable.  He graded out at 72 in New England because Belichick moved him to LG where he played much better than he did center.  The Bengals coaching staff in all their wisdom thought it was a good idea to move him back to center where he doesnt play as well.  The Bengals should have had Karras at LG last year and went after someone else to play center.  That would have been a better O-line than flipping Karras back to center and drafting Volson.

Who, Smith? Not likely....
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 08:15 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: People who are skeptical of a year 2 jump for Volson are more far-fetched than the people expecting a year 2 jump.  Going from NDSU and blocking insurance salesman straight to the NFL and blocking Heywards, Simmons and Chris Jones is an insane jump and honestly it was pretty absurd of our coaches to even ask a rookie from D2 to do that. He held up fine he had some bumps but by week 10 or so he was a solid player.  I fully expect him to come in and be solid as a rock with a year under his belt.  To assume he wont make a jump, even a small one, is crazy.

Exactly, I like where we are sitting on this. If these guys think Volson will be as bad as last year or worse, I also think that is more far 
fetched than him improving in his sophomore year. Getting all that valuable experience and knowing that you can handle being a starter
in the NFL while getting a LT like Orlando Brown Jr next to you?

The needle is pointing up for Cordell Volson no question.
Reply/Quote
Saw a picture a few minutes ago of Cappa, Volson, Karras and Brown standing together. Volson dwarfs Karras right now.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 04:24 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Saw a picture a few minutes ago of Cappa, Volson, Karras and Brown standing together. Volson dwarfs Karras right now.

They are excited I know about their size on the left side. Both Brown and Volson are large humans. I can see the left side being utilized in short yardage and goal line. Wouldn’t it be nice relying on mano y mano on the goal line vs finessed all the time?

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 04:36 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They are excited I know about their size on the left side. Both Brown and Volson are large humans. I can see the left side being utilized in short yardage and goal line. Wouldn’t it be nice relying on mano y mano on the goal line vs finessed all the time?

Of course, Volson has always had height, but he has really bulked up. Left side of the line is going to be absolute road graders. And if Carman wins the RT spot, he and Cappa will be the same on the right. If Mixon can't run behind this line, he can't run behind any line.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 08:51 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Of course, Volson has always had height, but he has really bulked up. Left side of the line is going to be absolute road graders. And if Carman wins the RT spot, he and Cappa will be the same on the right. If Mixon can't run behind this line, he can't run behind any line.

Mixon will be forced to change his style, and hit the hole with authority, as Rookie Chase Brown will be chomping at the bit to come in and pound the rock.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 09:13 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Mixon will be forced to change his style, and hit the hole with authority, as Rookie Chase Brown will be chomping at the bit to come in and pound the rock.

And that is a very good thing at any position.  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 09:13 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Mixon will be forced to change his style, and hit the hole with authority, as Rookie Chase Brown will be chomping at the bit to come in and pound the rock.

If his agent was smart he’d have a huge heart to heart with Joe. Especially after Dalvin Cook. With the salary cap a definite issue next year for the Bengals Joe is playing for his NFL life. He was lucky this year.

Reply/Quote
(06-06-2023, 12:07 PM)pally Wrote: per Orlando Brown

I hope he is a great prognosticator!

https://www.bengals.com/news/lg-cordell-volson-has-a-new-fan-in-his-new-left-tackle

"He's got that Pro Bowl potential with his size and mental makeup," Brown says of Volson after one of the voluntary practices before next week's mandatory minicamp. "I think he really uses his height to his advantage. His mindset and his length are two things that are really going to separate him in the long run.

"I think he has the natural talent and ability to become one of the best in the league at what he does."

"(Brown) gives me tips on how those guys would do some things," Volson says. "He'll say, 'Marshal did this,' or 'Joe did that.' It adds tools to the toolbox and maybe it works for me and maybe it doesn't.

"It's always interesting and cool to hear the perspective of guys who have done it somewhere else. See the way they do things. You can see it from the 30,000-foot view."

"It's a good time of year to be refining fundamentals," Brown says. "Get the timing of your double teams down. Get down to details because we're not scheming up the defense. It gives me time to talk to (Volson), see what he's seen, which allows me to feel what he's feeling and we can get to the point where there's an understanding even if something isn't communicated. He really loves the game. He studies."

I became a big fan in preseason. It was obvious he had the intangibles for a good linemen. Nasty, finishes, loves to play, smart and improves. By the last game they played he was holding his own against elite talent. As a 4th rounder. I’m also a fan of Carman and liked the pick on draft day.
Reply/Quote