Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cordy Glenn
(01-29-2020, 03:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He wasn't on my radar because I wasn't seeing him talked about as a pass-catching TE at all nor did he have any decent pass-catching stats in college. I sure didn't think they'd go for someone so green as a pass catcher so early. Sample seemed like a Rd 5 pick at the earliest.

Still didn't drop a ball in college, he had a QB that never targeted him similar to last season where the coaches weren't 
having the QB target the TE's. Great blocker with good hands is what I said at the time and still see the same thing.

He just isn't some great athletic, pass catching TE like Chase Coffman lol
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 03:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He wasn't on my radar because I wasn't seeing him talked about as a pass-catching TE at all nor did he have any decent pass-catching stats in college. I sure didn't think they'd go for someone so green as a pass catcher so early. Sample seemed like a Rd 5 pick at the earliest.

I bring him up because the narrative/hope was that it was a sign that MB was letting ZT be a bit of a GM and that things were finally changing.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 04:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I bring him up because the narrative/hope was that it was a sign that MB was letting ZT be a bit of a GM and that things were finally changing.  

WhoDey2 O Boy, were they changing... Ninja  
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 03:32 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: any idea if theres a cap hit to cut him?

No Dead Cap space if we cut him. We could use the 9.5 mil on someone else. Lets sign someone else before cutting him.
Reply/Quote
I'm so confused because the guy started 1 game and made it pretty clear he is not happy with the team. Why would you have any interest in keeping a guy who will eat up cap space and give you no value? close topic

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 01:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I get it, it's fandom and optimism and all that and I'm buying into Burrow but we saw this last year with ZT.  As soon as we picked Sample people were like "Holy crap....great pick....great TE and ZT forced Mike Brown to pick him!"  Ok, that may be exaggerating a bit, but I'm viewing the idea of Joe Burrow kicking the door to Mike Brown's office in and being the only QB we've had in the past 30 years who gives a crap about winning and holding Mike Brown at gunpoint and making him run this team like he gives a crap with the same skeptical eye.

I just enjoy the people-watching aspect of fandom.  Last season we were going to take the NFL by storm because while the other teams were running their mouths we were calm and quiet and confident and under the radar.  One year later Joe Burrow and his "I'm already a champion" swagger is going to be the key to taking the league by storm.  Fair enough.

Most people were like “Holy fu?!ing sh!tballs, the Bengals drafted some 6th round TE in round 2!” The pick was flamed then, and looks even worse now. Smoking Sean Brewer was arguably a better selection...
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 11:56 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Most people were like “Holy fu?!ing sh!tballs, the Bengals drafted some 6th round TE in round 2!”  The pick was flamed then, and looks even worse now.  Smoking Sean Brewer was arguably a better selection...

While hindsight proved again that it is 20/20 the Sample pick looks outlandish and a lot of posters called it out on draft day. That being said the consensus best player in the league also has some doubters also. No matter how they go in the draft they won't be right on every pick, no team is . The team needs to do some things differently come draft day because the litany of bad picks is the reason they are in the shape they are in.
Reply/Quote
Sample was only targeted 6 times before he got hurt. Not a big Sample size. Dont like that we took him so high, but I remember reading that his blocking could be Reggie Kelley-like once he develops. Good pick just too high.

Im for cutting Glenn and bringing in other OLmen. I do want us to sign at least one big upgrade in FA, at either G or RT. Conklin, Thuney, whoever. Just bring in someone experienced who is a legit starter to help this young OL find its way. Jordan could and should develop, hopefully Williams lives up to hype. Fred Johnson seems like a heck of a get for us. We got potential. but we need that one guy imo. The guy Cordy was signed to be and failed.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 11:56 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Most people were like “Holy fu?!ing sh!tballs, the Bengals drafted some 6th round TE in round 2!”  The pick was flamed then, and looks even worse now.  Smoking Sean Brewer was arguably a better selection...
Lol I remember when we picked Sean Brewer, 3rd round i believe San Jose St or something. How in the hell you draft a chain smoker in an being physically and well conditioned sport as in football lol
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 03:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Still didn't drop a ball in college, he had a QB that never targeted him similar to last season where the coaches weren't 
having the QB target the TE's. Great blocker with good hands is what I said at the time and still see the same thing.

He just isn't some great athletic, pass catching TE like Chase Coffman lol

I don't understand why a TE like Sample needed to be taken in the 2nd round when they already signed Uzomah to a multi-year deal for over $6 mill a year.

Would have rather had Josh Oliver, Dawson Knox, Kaden Smith, Isaac Nauta, Caleb Wilson, or even Foster Moreau. And all those guys went in Rd 3 or later.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 02:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't understand why a TE like Sample needed to be taken in the 2nd round when they already signed Uzomah to a multi-year deal for over $6 mill a year.

Would have rather had Josh Oliver, Dawson Knox, Kaden Smith, Isaac Nauta, Caleb Wilson, or even Foster Moreau. And all those guys went in Rd 3 or later.

The articles back then said it was Eifert insurance. He was a pretty huge question mark heading into the season
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 02:52 PM)bengaloo Wrote: The articles back then said it was Eifert insurance. He was a pretty huge question mark heading into the season

I don't remember that, but I can see it. However, I don't think Sample matches up to Eifert's skill set at all, so it's a poor insurance policy.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 02:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't remember that, but I can see it. However, I don't think Sample matches up to Eifert's skill set at all, so it's a poor insurance policy.

I agree he is no Eifert at all. I hope Sample does good, but picking him as high as we did was a head scratcher. We couldve gotten him in the 4th if not later. I just hope his blocking ends up as advertised at some point.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 02:17 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Sample was only targeted 6 times before he got hurt. Not a big Sample size. Dont like that we took him so high, but I remember reading that his blocking could be Reggie Kelley-like once he develops. Good pick just too high.

Im for cutting Glenn and bringing in other OLmen. I do want us to sign at least one big upgrade in FA, at either G or RT. Conklin, Thuney, whoever. Just bring in someone experienced who is a legit starter to help this young OL find its way. Jordan could and should develop, hopefully Williams lives up to hype. Fred Johnson seems like a heck of a get for us. We got potential. but we need that one guy imo. The guy Cordy was signed to be and failed.

Sherff is another guy I would love for us to bring in and somewhere on here I heard we were interested in him...

(01-30-2020, 02:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't understand why a TE like Sample needed to be taken in the 2nd round when they already signed Uzomah to a multi-year deal for over $6 mill a year.

As Bengaloo here says it was because Eifert was injured all the time. Of those guys I liked Moreau at the time better than
Sample but Sample was by all accounts the best blocker at TE in that draft. Also I heard a team right behind us in the 2nd
was looking at taking him, this is just something I heard at the time though.

Sample was a 4th or 5th rounder, in most Mocks before the Draft.

Think Taylor liked him for his scheme whatever the hell that was last year lol

(01-30-2020, 02:52 PM)bengaloo Wrote: The articles back then said it was Eifert insurance. He was a pretty huge question mark heading into the season

Yep.

(01-30-2020, 02:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't remember that, but I can see it. However, I don't think Sample matches up to Eifert's skill set at all, so it's a poor insurance policy.

Sample is a much better blocker that can catch, but he is no where near the Receiving threat as Eifert in his prime in 2015
was maybe the best route running TE I have ever seen. Ran routes like a WR. Eifert's injuries clearly have changed him, he
is a mere shadow of his 2015 self. But still, he catches balls and finally stayed healthy last season. Not against bringing him
back. Uzi had some good plays last year but if we want to move on from Eifert I would like to add a pass catching TE for 
Burrow in the mid rounds if we take care of the O-line and LB's before that.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 03:15 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I agree he is no Eifert at all. I hope Sample does good, but picking him as high as we did was a head scratcher. We couldve gotten him in the 4th if not later. I just hope his blocking ends up as advertised at some point.

Even if he wasn't available in 4th round, there were other TEs who I think would have been fine to pick. 
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 03:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Even if he wasn't available in 4th round, there were other TEs who I think would have been fine to pick. 

Too bad he got injured, would of been easier to evaluate his play. Hopefully he stays healthy this year and he becomes a
natural route runner and pass catcher for us. His blocking was damn good in college which is why I liked him. Thought 
Reggie Kelly was a good comparison but could be a better pass catcher if he is targeted more.

I was confused with the lack of targeting TE's last season. That and the lack of using Mixon in the passing game more.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 02:26 PM)804 fan Wrote: Lol I remember when we picked Sean Brewer, 3rd round i believe San Jose St or something. How in the hell you draft a chain smoker in an being physically and well conditioned sport as in football lol

Perfect example of how the scouting works. They put together profiles from various websites, and go from there, maybe watch a little tape and believe what the profile says, with out doing the real research, IE Boots on the ground checking this kid out in his own environment and talking to his coaches/team mates.

All the big names were gone and MB used his "cheat sheets" to pick Sean. And with the way the Bengals have been drafting lately? I'm afraid this is the way they still do things.

And many of these scouting websites say the same things about the majority of the players out there, many times with out even truly watching much if any tape on them. They trust that the other site did the work.

Let's say for example, I'm at my team meeting and on time. The coach is late. So I'm looking at my twitter account while waiting. Someone sees that and tells a scout that I checked twitter while waiting for the meeting, now all of a sudden, I am now a "checks twitter DURING team meetings, lacks focus, is not serious about football, immature." type of person. When that's possibly the only time I ever did that. Now I've dropped from possible 3rd round to 7-UDFA pick on the draft boards and there was no reason for it than maybe a jealous teammate telling a scout that in conversation, the scout didn't likely research the story (they don't have that kinda time to research everyone, they have dead lines), just found a tidbit and expanded it.

And once published, it gets copied and branched out to several other websites as well making it a real pain for me to get cleared up and in some cases I have no idea which one started it first, but they aren't changing their story.

And another one of my favorites. He's a family man, so he's mature! WTH? What does being a family man have to do with it. Sure, I might be RESPONSIBLE, but not mature. Big difference.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 03:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Too bad he got injured, would of been easier to evaluate his play. Hopefully he stays healthy this year and he becomes a
natural route runner and pass catcher for us. His blocking was damn good in college which is why I liked him. Thought 
Reggie Kelly was a good comparison but could be a better pass catcher if he is targeted more.

I was confused with the lack of targeting TE's last season. That and the lack of using Mixon in the passing game more.

When Taylor was OC for MIA and when he was with the Rams, TEs weren't a focal point in the passing game.
I think they eventually realized this past season that they weren't utilizing some of their best weapons by avoiding their TEs in the passing game.
It's no secret that the passing game improved when they started getting the TEs more involved.

Mixon really was actually utilized about the same as he had the past two years. His 35 receptions is between his rookie year (30) and 2018 (43). He had the same receiving yardage as he had his rookie year.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Just like most of us say one player can't do it all. Dalton is constantly given a pass because of the condition of the line, Green's absence, Run game, Ross's injury etc.. last year. Then you want to put a magnifying glass on a rookie and critique his development like those factors didn't effect his play. If your QB doesn't look for you or just ignores you like Dalton did to Tate, and Ross early in their careers then we shouldn't throw him under the bus. I believe a lot of personal stats will improve with Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 08:21 PM)jason Wrote: Some of us seem to be really thinking that Johnson is the real deal. We have a pretty small sample size 9n him. I remember Ringo being pretty popular this time last year. I'm not even sure what happened to him after training camp.

Anyway... I could take or leave Glenn. He seemed to fake a concussion, but the line was noticably better with him. Who are we replacing him with?

A $9.5 million salary could put us in the ballpark with the top linemen available in free agency.

If the Bengals wanted to go that route.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote